You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Is there a ton of cheating going on or what?
posted 27 February 2006 04:36 PM EDT (US)   
I was recently looking at the top ranked players. Many of their games only last 2-6 seconds. Also, many of them have either priests and catapults as their favorite unit, or ajax. They also often have around 60-80 villagers in the first age. Is there some major hacking going on or what? Sorry if this has already been adressed somewhere.

There is only one true God, but since He is not in AOM, I play as Kronos.
Replies:
posted 27 February 2006 04:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
Yep.

Though I wouldn't call it 'major hacking', they are very simple exploits.

Sometimes you need to scare the lambs,
tell tales of evil bad wolves.
Because if there is nothing to fear,
they might think for themselves.

[This message has been edited by Sam_Ham (edited 02-27-2006 @ 04:43 PM).]

posted 27 February 2006 04:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
Yes, there have been a parallel thread to this not too long ago: Click here if you want to read it.

posted 27 February 2006 07:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
why doesn't anyone just report thees guys?

Say NO to non-animated violence.
posted 27 February 2006 09:45 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
Well they have been banning cheaters but it was a pathetic attempt to get back the trust of AoM players.

The true #1 is thx_je1ani

posted 27 February 2006 10:46 PM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
^ haha. Sounds like a martial art movie:
The true master of AoM is hidden; he is thx_je1ani!

posted 27 February 2006 10:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
StopTehCheating (again)
WaT_OsiriS
h4xr0x
OGH_IriSh
tape1
Sorry_I_Lose
VISIONSKY
poondizzle
mikecharles03102
DB_Quest
WaT_U_LosT
kac_bl00db4th
anvil333

Why did I list those names? Because they are popular cheaters in the tp 40 or so.

Thats not the only reason. They were also banned tonight

posted 27 February 2006 10:53 PM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
I thought you can't accuse cheaters on this site.

posted 27 February 2006 11:05 PM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
There cd key is banned. And they have already been busted. Plus im not really accusing. I'm just saying they have been banned

NOTE* Their CD key was banned, not the name.

posted 27 February 2006 11:09 PM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
They reset their names and ban the cd key. All these losers do is use a _ey g_n_ra_or and start over from 1600. They need to ban their ip forever.

Edit lol

Quote:

Plus im not really accusing

Quote:

Why did I list those names? Because they are popular cheaters in the tp 40 or so.

R.I.P Shiva

[This message has been edited by Pug (edited 02-27-2006 @ 11:10 PM).]

posted 27 February 2006 11:12 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
I think maybe that's not accusing, they've been banned, so if ES says they are cheating, I think we have enough proof to say so too.

posted 27 February 2006 11:16 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
And your could mail your shattered aom cd to GoS , then post a request for a work around and its still against the CoC. I personally could give a hoot myself.

R.I.P Shiva
posted 27 February 2006 11:27 PM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
Ok, ban all microsoft users! They are customers of a cheater-accusing group!

posted 27 February 2006 11:31 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
Linux might like that.

R.I.P Shiva
posted 27 February 2006 11:35 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
^ HaHa!

posted 28 February 2006 03:23 AM EDT (US)     15 / 17  

Quoted from Pug:

They reset their names and ban the cd key. All these losers do is use a _ey g_n_ra_or and start over from 1600. They need to ban their ip forever.

Sorry Pug, but that last comment of you indicates that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Static IPs for individual users are a very rare exception. Every time you connect to your internet provider, whoever that may be, you are assigned a different IP address from the pool of IP addresses owned by that provider. This makes it obvious that banning IPs will have no effect whatsoever, as the cheater has only a minimal likelihood to get the same IP again next time he dials in. And even if he did, disconnecting and dialing in again would be a matter of seconds.

You could, of course, ban the entire IP pool of that provider, but with that you would hit thousands of innocent customers as well. Imagine e.g. all Mindspring customers no longer being able to play AoM because one Mindspring customer was a cheater...

No, you cannot solve this problem on a network level. You can only solve it on the game level. That, however, would be more than easy to achieve if ES wanted to do it. Map hacks are very hard to fight since they are using information that is basically available on the client computer. However, exploits like the Ajax one or the resign hack are effectively game bugs and could be fixed with minor effort, and those were the ones that brought those cheaters to the top of the ladder. Even OoSsing could be fought effectively with the help of the extensive player statistics that the ESO servers are generating anyway. (They would just have to add tracking of OoSses which the ESO servers do not do today.) Any player with an extraordinary amount of OoS events could be reset on automatic. (Pure victims will never have as many OoSses as cheaters that cause OoSses on top of being victim now and then.) Even better would be the ESO server keeping track of the game so that it can determine who is the culprit of the OoS. That would of course mean a higher amount of programming on ES side as well as higher server load. Which in turn means ES will never do it, not for a game as old as AoM at least.

Quoted from Pug:

And your could mail your shattered aom cd to GoS , then post a request for a work around and its still against the CoC.

I also consider it legitimate to post a list of users that has been officially banned by ES for cheating. It is like you must not call someone a murderer - unless a court has condemned him for it.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
posted 28 February 2006 06:41 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
Quoted from Pug:

Sorry Pug, but that last comment of you indicates that you have no idea what you are talking about.[/q]

I was being sarcastic.

R.I.P Shiva
posted 28 February 2006 06:48 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
? I'm confused (not good at computers).

Does not every cd have an unique Product Key? Is that what you are talking about?

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Is there a ton of cheating going on or what?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames