You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: OK, I REALLY want to finish the Campaigns on Titan - 1 Level left!
posted 27 April 2006 11:22 AM EDT (US)   
OK, I really need some help here guys. I wanted to finish all 3 Campaigns on Titan difficulty, and I managed to do very well, but I still can't beat 1 of the scenarios (after 10+ attempts, I just cheated and skipped it temporarily):

Cerberus

This level is from The New Atlantis scenario. It is the level set in Egpyt where the Son Of Osiris has to regenerate the Guardian. After a few attempts, I realised that the only sensible way to do this scenario is to leave the Guardian alone until you have a strong army and economy to keep up with their attacks. unfortunately, this is very difficult because of the earlyness and frequency of their attacks - and also because to get Gold, you need a clear Trade Route, and that means having 3 separate fronts to protect, which is probably impossible. Relying on market trading is not sufficient in my experience.

Now, there are a lot of scenarios with "tricks" to them, which make them infinitely easier (like the Making Ammends scenario in the expansion campaign where you have to build 4 TCs - if you attack the village with your starting heroes and kill all of their villagers and units, they are no longer a threat and the scenario is ridiculously easy. Or, the Folstag scenario where if you make Hersir with your starting resources, and attack the titan when he heads to the second village without his army, you can freeze him, cast Flaming Weapons and kick his ass - then you cast Healing Spring and heal while waiting for Folstag to recharge and then repeat.), but I can't find an easy way to do this scenario.

Can somone suggest some tips, or even a rec, for completing this scenario on Titan Difficulty please?? It's the last one left (although admittedly, 2 scenarios were beaten due to the "AI not attacking you ever" bug ), and I HAVE to complete it!!

Thanks

Replies:
posted 27 April 2006 12:40 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
Try making the 'double click walls' in bunches in the areas before the three choke points so the computer attacks them instead of heading for your trade route. I don't know if it will work, but you can try it.
posted 27 April 2006 01:06 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
a wall and towers behind it should work. I also suggest to build a lot of priests.
posted 27 April 2006 01:23 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
No offense empireofages, but it's not that simple. Walling off can be done, in 2 layers if necessary, but Towers are not possible because you start with very little Gold and you need to use that Gold on Priests for the first wave of MU attacks to defend your trade routes.

sdw12umdjc, interesting idea. It may help, it's worth a try.

posted 27 April 2006 06:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
I went a played around on that level a little bit. Here's some suggestions.

First and foremost is that in this level the Son of Osiris can be healed.

Get a bunch of woodies and keep trading wood for gold at your market. This will give you enough gold to make walls earlier.

Withdraw your Son of Osiris to your town center until you can tower up the area around the guardian. Hero arcus will be sent to attack him and won't stop to attack anything else.

There are three choke points. The first is walled off at start. The other two have some axeman at them with a temple between them. Leave the choke point to the left of the temple wall free but wall the choke point to the right of the temple(assuming no camera rotation). The computer will automatically head for the unwalled choke point. On occassion a few myth units may attack at the walls near the guardian so just keep one or two priests over there. Use the serpent god power in the chokepoint you didn't build walls in and defend that position. Priests will help heal them. Don't worry too much about the relics, you need your three heroes at the choke point. Once you get the caravans rolling you'll be able to spam towers.

By now you should know where all the caravans are so while you are defending the one choke point you can gather them up with a random unit.

If you research Funeral Rites a pharaoh will spawn at your town center. Use him to empower the market.

Get Nephthys' priest techs asap, but you already knew that. Two monuments is probably good enough. After you have the priest techs use the favor to make scorpion men and anubites.

I'm not saying any of these will work so don't hate me if they don't.

posted 27 April 2006 07:14 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
That choke point idea I have tried before, but I left them all walled - I forgot that AI just go around walls...I shall try that tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion.
posted 27 April 2006 10:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
Hiya, Quircus.

Have you played the "dwarven tale" downloadable scenario on titan?

If you did, did you have trouble with the plenty vault one where you had to capture the forge?

thx

posted 28 April 2006 10:28 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
I certainly did - in fact it was the last one I completed (except Cerberus obviously). You know how I did it? Sheer luck. I suck at Norse really, but I did the usual thing of killing the trolls and docks and taking the forge really early, but you just can't beat back their attacks with your weak starting economy. There must be a way to do it, but for me, I got lucky and got the "AI never attacks you" bug, so it was an easy, and boring victory

I'm trying Cerberus now to try out some of the suggestions that have been posted...

posted 28 April 2006 12:22 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
Yay! Finally completed that damned level!!

Basically, sdw12umdjc, your idea worked very well. I used to only defend the main city, which meant caravans would die easily. The trick is to Auto-Queue villagers to Food (and then Wood once all the farms are taken up) and to get all of your starting military units (including SOO, excluding Hero Oracle) to the left-most choke point. Also, get 2-3 villagers make a wall at the right-most choke point. This must be done ASAP.

Use 2 heroes to get the 2 relics near your temple (and also to find the 2 camels near the relic and get them trading) and garrison them - by the time they get back, the first wave should come. It is important that your wall is up by now.

While you fight off the first wave of Murmillos, get your Hero Oracle (it starts near your city's walls) to get the spare caravans across the map, and send them to your Ally's TC (if you feel it's unsafe to do so, send them to your home TC first and then to your Ally's TC). You should know where they all are after a couple of tries at this - the important ones outside of your defences are in the North-West (on a cliff), but some are also near some farms to the south, and a pool south-west of the Guardian.

Straight after the first wave, heal your SOO if necessary, and use him to empower the 2 villagers to make a Barracks (use market to get gold if necessary), and use the rest of your Gold up making Axemen. Cast Serpants in the choke point. While this is happening, send a single Chariot to the black area north of where you are now (there is a small stone path you can follow) to find the Camels there. Bring him back for the 2nd wave.

After the 2nd wave, use a villager in your home city to find the Camels there (they are in the eastern most part) and to make a Monument or 2. Try to hold off the attacks. After you have a sturdy force of about 8-10 axemen, start making Slingers - you'll need lots of them.

As soon as you have a decent army to defend and have 300 Gold spare after replenishing your forces, make a Migdol (empower with SOO). Once the Migdol is up, Auto-Queue Elephants. Make more Priests and Scorpian Men also.

Once you have enough villagers and camel caravans that you can pump Elephants and Slingers easily, this is a really easy scenario. It's just the first waves that will do serious damage to you. Also, don't be afraid to use Ancestors early - I did!

Vision is useless in this scenario, so feel free to use it in combination with Meteor once you go Mythic to kill his military buildings (he will rebuild, but you may as well). Once you have loads of Elephants/Slingers and Heroes and have Fully Upgraded them all, make walls all around the Guardian at the obvious choke points, and put your SOO there to revive him. Leave the rest of your army at that choke point (which should now have several Barracks and Migdols near/in it) to deal with the continuing attacks (which should be really easy to hold off).

Once the Guardian is out, kill the enemy Titan. Simple.

posted 28 April 2006 06:37 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
I never tried the campaign on Titan, so I played "Cerebus" a minute ago. I beat it too . However, in the scenario I was suprised to find that mid - way through the game there was a huge gathering of like 300 Murmillos in the comps base! The gathering never attacked me (luckily), but everything else in the scenario played as normal.

FlameoftheWest
---------
Titans Player
AoM Vanilla Player on Gameranger

[This message has been edited by FlameoftheWest (edited 04-28-2006 @ 10:54 PM).]

posted 29 April 2006 07:34 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
It is actually pretty easy if you can use the choke point to stop the first few waves. If any of them get through to your trade route, it all goes downhill because you have to spare a hero or two to go after them - resulting in your inital army not being able to hold off the next waves, and some of your caravans dead. Once you Elephants though, you've won.

I saw loads of Murmillos too - some of them do break away to attack you if you to attack their TC (near where they are). I did because I was dominating and was bored waiting for the Guardian to be revived.

One more thing, get the City of the Dead Upgrade ASAP too - it'll spawn a new Pharaoh which you can use to Empower your market (there's no point in using him in combat since by the time you can afford him, you should have enough Spears/Slingers/Priests to hold them off - remember that Spearmen are replaced with Elephants when you can afford it).

posted 29 April 2006 07:43 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
I finally finished that plenty vault dwarf mission. It was quite easy, actually. You just max out dwarves, fishing ships from 3 docks (2 you take over), start spamming ulfies and go through bragi/tyr for uber ulfies. Next wave make some TA, and your done . Didn't even need to attack the trolls.
posted 01 May 2006 08:09 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
^^The trolls attack your fishing operation to the North if you don't kill them. Also, you need to go there for Gold really since the other piles are hard to protect.

Also, you say just make Ulfsarks through Bragi, but the 1st wave normally leaves you crippled, and it is extremely difficult to prepare for the second attack in time AND capture the plenty vault. Because the first wave is so early, you don't have a good enough economy to keep replacing units etc.

It's not as easy as you describe IMO. But then again, it may be because I suck at Norse...

posted 01 July 2006 11:45 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
Yo Quircus I was in the same position as you and came on these forums for help, only it was originally in defeating the lost relics level.I then got to Cerberus and didnt think of the choke points idea. I tried 3 separate walls and sending my army to the middle one while leaving the 2 on either sides open. Anyways now I'm inspired to try that strategy and do some ass kicking of my own =)... Oh and obviously thanks sdw12umdjc who gave Quircus the idea and sent me here in the first place.

See this post I did on this level

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,23287,0,10

Whats the definition of insanity?
Doing something the same way twice and expecting different results...

THINK ABOUT IT!

[This message has been edited by orbital_havoc_3d (edited 07-01-2006 @ 11:48 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » OK, I REALLY want to finish the Campaigns on Titan - 1 Level left!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames