Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: ----- AoMH TT tournament -----
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 28 October 2006 01:02 PM EDT (US)   
The tournament is in progress. No more signups are possible.

The tourney rules can be found here: Tournament Rules

Tourney results are here: http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,24200,0,10

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)

[This message has been edited by DeathAndPain (edited 11-10-2006 @ 03:37 AM).]

Replies:
posted 28 October 2006 01:22 PM EDT (US)     1 / 58  
This is a convenient map to use to figure out your timezone
posted 28 October 2006 01:22 PM EDT (US)     2 / 58  
Very interested. When will the total deadline for the sign-ups be?

Will you, yourself, be competeting?

posted 28 October 2006 05:52 PM EDT (US)     3 / 58  
Does that mean i can get i r n00b to play?
posted 28 October 2006 07:20 PM EDT (US)     4 / 58  
DOES THAT mean i can get XpT_Cyclone, Ice QueeN, and ChAoTiC to play hehehe Im most likely going to get into

eXperT

AoM Player Quotes

http://www.freewebs.com/agony_ynoga/

[img]http://clan-love.com/ipb/sigs/index.php?name=Hamarrstinker&type=ZS_Supremacy[/img]

posted 28 October 2006 07:35 PM EDT (US)     5 / 58  

Quoted from Carbuncle:

When will the total deadline for the sign-ups be?

I commented on that in the tournament rules, which you have certainly read.

Quoted from Carbuncle:

Will you, yourself, be competeting?

I plan on doing so, yes. However, I am also leader of this tournament and judge in cases of dissension. Anybody objecting to this and fearing that I may make unfair judgements in my own favor is encouraged not to join the tournament.

Quoted from CliCk:

Does that mean i can get i r n00b to play?

If the tournament roster matches you up against him, yes. I know he wants to participate. But if your wish is to play against him, I am positive that he will be happy to fulfill your desire without requiring a tournament. Asking him for it online will do. If you do not know his current nicks (which he frequently changes), ask one of the many people that know him (including me) when you meet one of them online.

Quoted from Ag0nyYnoga:

DOES THAT mean i can get XpT_Cyclone, Ice QueeN, and ChAoTiC to play hehehe

If they join the tournament, certainly. However, do not expect to learn too much from playing those. At such a skill difference, they can kill you with a simple tactics like an ulf rush which ends the game quickly but would not be advisable against an opponent of similar skill, so mimicking their tactics against other opponents later will not get you far.

posted 28 October 2006 07:35 PM EDT (US)     6 / 58  
The one decent thing that is set up and it is through exams .

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
-Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
-Vagabond Tom.

[This message has been edited by TTK_GeneralNoob (edited 10-28-2006 @ 07:37 PM).]

posted 28 October 2006 07:42 PM EDT (US)     7 / 58  
agony are you in xpt?
posted 28 October 2006 08:22 PM EDT (US)     8 / 58  

Quoted from TTK_GeneralNoob:

The one decent thing that is set up and it is through exams .

Perhaps my English fails me, but I do not understand that sentence.

posted 28 October 2006 08:44 PM EDT (US)     9 / 58  
Im trying out for XpT QueeN said online in chat Most likely.

PS i r noob is I r DeaN

AoM Player Quotes

http://www.freewebs.com/agony_ynoga/

[img]http://clan-love.com/ipb/sigs/index.php?name=Hamarrstinker&type=ZS_Supremacy[/img]

[This message has been edited by Ag0nyYnoga (edited 10-28-2006 @ 08:45 PM).]

posted 28 October 2006 09:05 PM EDT (US)     10 / 58  
rofl DaP, i play Lorenzo all the time. We ARE in the same clan after all. I once lasted 27 minutes against his isis

EDIT: that sentence seems ok to me, i think he means that the one good thing that has happened in his life (this tournament) is happening whilst he has exams, therefore he can't play.

EDIT2: No, i r DeaN = DeaN *wink, wink*

[This message has been edited by CliCk (edited 10-28-2006 @ 09:08 PM).]

posted 28 October 2006 09:56 PM EDT (US)     11 / 58  
i'd sign up but secduling would be all but impossible, stupid time zone.

gl with it.

www.vbclan.net - Aussie/Kiwi AoT and AoE3 clan
posted 28 October 2006 09:58 PM EDT (US)     12 / 58  
click your in AoTH_ ?

posted 29 October 2006 06:38 AM EDT (US)     13 / 58  
noob is probably in about 5 different clans
posted 31 October 2006 05:51 AM EDT (US)     14 / 58  
hey DaP,
sign me up pls, but there's a problem: I have to play on a different computer, so I can only do it at evenings during the weekend.
If it's OK with you, pls send me an e-mail at the address I give you.
anastasoulis(at)netscape(dot)net.

looking forward to play with you guys again.

regards

the Elder
"imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein
posted 31 October 2006 07:56 PM EDT (US)     15 / 58  
Um, DaP, did you recieve my email? You didn't reply or anything...

posted 01 November 2006 04:01 AM EDT (US)     16 / 58  
Yes. I will be setting up a list of signed-up participants soon.

posted 01 November 2006 03:53 PM EDT (US)     17 / 58  
The current list of participants is now online. I will update it regularly. Now alert your friends and keep the signups coming! The more participants we have, the more fun it will be. I will find a tournament system that makes sure we can do the tournament within a reasonable time frame.

posted 01 November 2006 07:17 PM EDT (US)     18 / 58  
Um, only 4 more days for sign up? Can't you make it one more week so We can get some more players? It doesn't look very good right now.

posted 01 November 2006 07:32 PM EDT (US)     19 / 58  

Quote:

Can't you make it one more week so We can get some more players?

It is kinda short notice!

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
posted 02 November 2006 00:46 AM EDT (US)     20 / 58  
This is all that is signing up?

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
-Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
-Vagabond Tom.

posted 02 November 2006 07:17 AM EDT (US)     21 / 58  
i get some OP AoTH mebers to sign up, ok?

havoc, me = AoTH_SunRise

posted 02 November 2006 07:21 AM EDT (US)     22 / 58  
Yes, because some people are apparently hesitating with their signup. That does include you, GeneralNoob.

Quoted from Orion_Antares:

It is kinda short notice!

Short notice is the announcement of the end of the signup period, but remember that this period has been running for several days already. And there are still several days left. I mean, how long does it take to send em a quick email with like 3 sentences in it?

My impression is that without a closing deadline, most people will not signup because they simply postpone it for later, arguing (towards themselves) that they have plenty of time left.

Quoted from darkdude:

Um, only 4 more days for sign up? Can't you make it one more week so We can get some more players? It doesn't look very good right now.

I can do that if you desire, but I doubt it will be helpful.

posted 02 November 2006 12:02 PM EDT (US)     23 / 58  
All these people on here and only those few people have signed up?????
posted 02 November 2006 03:09 PM EDT (US)     24 / 58  

Quoted from CliCk:

i get some OP AoTH mebers to sign up, ok?

That would be good.

Quoted from sleemie:

All these people on here and only those few people have signed up?????

Amazing, isn't it? I suppose it is because of people like TTK_GeneralNoob who display surprised about the low number of participants here, but do not care to sign up themselves.

Another question: I had someone tell me that the link to the tourney rules does not work for him. Does anybody else have a problem here, or is it just him?

[This message has been edited by DeathAndPain (edited 11-02-2006 @ 03:10 PM).]

posted 02 November 2006 03:21 PM EDT (US)     25 / 58  

Quoted from DaP:

I suppose it is because of people like TTK_GeneralNoob who display surprised about the low number of participants here, but do not care to sign up themselves.

But a perfectly good reason too. These tournaments turn out to be more of a hassle that fun 9/10 times because of such diverse timezones. You have to wait forever for people to get on to play a game sometimes, or if you don't own your own computer where you can get on whenever, then this just increases the difficulty of getting through these tournaments in decent speed. Then you have extra-cerricular activities that limit sign up growth even more.

posted 03 November 2006 02:46 AM EDT (US)     26 / 58  
Basically, I have played a lot of games before with TTK_GeneralNoob although he almost lives on the opposite spot of the globe, so it can be done. At least someone not willing to join up himself should refrain from dropping remarks how few people are signing up.

And I have my ideas how to make the tourney progress successfully at decent speed. There is no need always to have only one scheduled opponent that you may play a tourney game against. Depending on the tourney mode (yet to be determined when I have the final list of participants) players may be allowed to play any opponent in their group, or if round-robin, any other participant, depending on when they happen to meet that particular member. The list of online times that I collected during signup helps to find players that you have not yet played.

It is also a matter of organization. Other tournaments failed because their creators thought: "Oh, I'll just open a thread in which I write that I am doing a tournament. I will not have/am not willing to invest much work though. Defined rules are unnecessary; I will invent them and surprise the players with my decisions when/after the games are being played, and somehow I will get to know the game results by players occasionally posting them as a reply to my thread."

That such crappily organized tourneys are destined to fail is obvious. The same goes for many clans that are founded on such a basis. However, I hope I have shown that I am striving for a more professional approach, with clear, understandable and - most important - known general regulations that allow the players to follow the tournament. I will also be regularly posting result tables so that the tournament remains transparent to its participants and is fun to follow. I am not sure whether I will succeed, but as a matter of fact I am giving myself much better chances than many other tournaments that have been organized in the past.

And perhaps, when I complete a small tourney with success, word will spread and I will have more participants next time.

posted 04 November 2006 03:25 PM EDT (US)     27 / 58  
Signup period is nearing its end, and we have a lot more participants by now. Keep them coming, you can join until end of Sunday.

posted 04 November 2006 03:46 PM EDT (US)     28 / 58  
we should make this tournement with the new patch included. i just think that would be cool

Quote:

Basketball may reveal character, but crosscountry builds it!!

posted 05 November 2006 07:46 AM EDT (US)     29 / 58  
If we make a hasty change now that the tourney is about to start, chaos would result, and the promising tourney would be likely to be messed up. Let's introduce the patch first, without time pressure, and when we know it works and everybody is able to install it, we can always announce a new tournament and make clear up front that it will be using the patch.

posted 06 November 2006 06:16 AM EDT (US)     30 / 58  
hey DaP,
you didn't include me and I did send you an e-mail.
I hope you did receive it, as well as my complience to the rules.

regards

the Elder
"imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » ----- AoMH TT tournament -----
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames