Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: ----- The AoTH tournament has begun! -----
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 08 November 2006 03:10 PM EDT (US)   
The tourney deadline has been extended to Sunday, Nov. 26th!

The tourney rules have been revised, so make sure to read the latest version. Complaints about rule changes that you were unaware of will be ignored if you neglected to read the revised rules up front.

Ok, the tournament begins now. We are 19 players. (I let aoth_warrior in although he signed up after the deadline because I had not yet begun working on the tourney start, and more players mean more fun.) A complete list of all participants is available in this thread: http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,24143,0,10

We will be playing in three groups as you can see in the tables below. Two groups contain 6 players, and the top two players of these will make it into the final round. The third group contains 7 players, and the top three of that group will make it into the final round. That may appear like an unfair advantage for the members of group 3, but only at first sight: They have i r n00b in their group, and Sunrise sure is no bad player, too. Meanwhile, group one contains me, while group 2 contains Sam_Ham.

I tried to disperse what I believed to be the best players over the three groups. This means that they will not kick out each other too soon, and that all the other players have a good chance to make it into the final round because ending #2 of their group will suffice. The decision which player went into which group may appear highhanded to some, but that comes with leading the tournament - and investing the time and work to organize it.

Note that it is absolutely possible even for weaker players to come out on top in their group. Remember that according to the tourney rules, two losses are just as valuable as one victory, while unplayed games are worthless, so if you see that you get all your games played assiduously while a good player is sloppy and fails to play some of his games, you may well end up having more points than he does, even if he won all the games that he did play.

Within the groups the tourney mode is round robin, meaning that you can (and should) play every other member of your group. There is no set order in which you have to play them, so whenever you spot one of the members of your groups online, go ahead and challenge him for the tourney game. In this context I suggest everyone to be online with his tourney account only during the next 10 days, so that the other members of your group can spot you online and contact you.

All games must be played until Sunday, Nov. 26th. Remember that results only count when all replays are mailed to my email account aoth_tourney@freenet.de. It does not matter whether winner or loser sends the replays, but I suggest both do, so when one of them forgets it, the game still counts. Remember that you even get a point for a defeat, so sending in the replays is advantageous even if you are the loser of a matchup. Also remember that you must be playing with the tournament nicks that you specified when you signed up, otherwise I will refuse to accept the game result as valid.

Here are the results tables that I will keep updating as I get the results mailed to aoth_tourney@freenet.de:

Group 1

Group 2

Group 3

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)

[This message has been edited by DeathAndPain (edited 11-19-2006 @ 04:46 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08 November 2006 03:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 116  
Nice work DaP!
Can this thread be used for arranging the matches?
posted 08 November 2006 03:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 116  
Imho SamHam, DaP, or Sunrise is gunna be in the 1st place lol to bad Etendorf couldnt sign he would win almost for sure............

AoM Player Quotes

http://www.freewebs.com/agony_ynoga/

[img]http://clan-love.com/ipb/sigs/index.php?name=Hamarrstinker&type=ZS_Supremacy[/img]

posted 08 November 2006 03:33 PM EDT (US)     3 / 116  
I think StfuIkBenImhoNie will win

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
No matter what you say
posted 08 November 2006 03:34 PM EDT (US)     4 / 116  
Nope, i r n00b will win. They might be in the finals, but he will win.
posted 08 November 2006 04:13 PM EDT (US)     5 / 116  
congratulations dap this tourny looks great although you clearly have the easiest group rofl not saying you fixed it im just pissed off i have a had group lol.
lets all hope people are on at there intended times

[This message has been edited by minatour_warrior (edited 11-08-2006 @ 08:34 PM).]

posted 08 November 2006 05:25 PM EDT (US)     6 / 116  
quick tourneys like this tend to have a better chance of succeeding especially if you have a system that rewards activity. remember those speed tourneys on agesanct a few month ago? people signed up literally an hour before the tourney began to play the first round. they were very successful because everybody was active. if you make a long time table, people put it off and forget to play and then things come up in their lives and they can't play. you may not be able to play all your games, but everybody is in the same boat, and we'll see how DaP's system handles it.

kudos to DaP for coming up with this system

my computer is finally working again add me VB_Chuck for a game
proud member of the VB clan
posted 08 November 2006 05:33 PM EDT (US)     7 / 116  
Nice job D&P!

Time for all to add some nicks to our friends lists!

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
posted 08 November 2006 05:33 PM EDT (US)     8 / 116  
My predictions:

Group 1:

Hunt Deletor
AoTH_GodFatha

Group 2

AoTH_SamHAm
MR2_Pilot

Group 3

StfuIkBenImhoNie
AoTH_Sunrise
AoTH_Warrior

------------------------------------

The winner of the Tournament will be StfuIkBenImhoNie over Hunt Deletor

5$ on that :P

[This message has been edited by a_game_a_win (edited 11-08-2006 @ 05:34 PM).]

posted 08 November 2006 05:52 PM EDT (US)     9 / 116  
My predictions:

Group (1)

Death and Pain
Adzyz

Adzyz will have a good chance to dethrone either AoTH_Godfatha or DaP because he is a Zeus player. Therefore he should have a good map advantage v. any of them. In addition he is 17++ and should know what he is doing. Godfatha does not play rated so it is hard to know what he will do in a rated enviroment.

Rates of Relevant players:

HuntDeletor 1755
Adzyz 1717
AoTH_Godfatha 1600.63

Group (2)

AoTH_SamHam
Weezing

No real contenders in this round but SamHam who will have an easy number 1 and is likely to be in final round.

Group (3)

StfuIkBenImhoNie (EZ)
AoTH_Sunrise (Hmmm With MH EZ but I am not sure otherwise)
AoTH_HaVoc

HaVoc manages some fairly close victories alot of the time and so he seems to have a good chance for 2nd, Sunrise although a 1750 has gotten there through 3 or 4 dropped games in a row. I have also heard rumors of MH and Freeze/Lag Haxxor so I am not sure where he is without the drops maybe closer to 1700. HaVoc and Warrior are both alittle less but I do not remember seening HaVoc play Sunrise but if map fall his way or such he has a good chance. Warrior is strong in the midgame. He does not rush much though so that will put him at a huge disadvantage v. a civ that is necessary.

Oh and winner will be

StfuIkBenImhoNie over AoTH_SamHam

[This message has been edited by Scamander (edited 11-08-2006 @ 08:24 PM).]

posted 08 November 2006 05:58 PM EDT (US)     10 / 116  
MH...Wtf? You are just jealous because I rape you Zeph. On the two occasions i played haVoc, i beat him both times.

[This message has been edited by CliCk (edited 11-08-2006 @ 06:10 PM).]

posted 08 November 2006 07:08 PM EDT (US)     11 / 116  
I dont think we ever actually went 1v1... but I do remember a post by warrior... lets see if I can conjure it back:

TiTle of thread:

Ao_TH sunrise is using lagg hax should he be shot

Click:

"proof? i don't need proff, i fully admit to doing it. I had JUST found out how to do it, and tried it in 1 game. other 2 just dropped, and i got like 10 points from them combined zz.

is it really that big a deal?"

If you really want to go into it I have more 11
-------------------------------------------------------

Btw you will most likely beat Havoc but it is too close to call atm.

[This message has been edited by Scamander (edited 11-08-2006 @ 07:10 PM).]

posted 08 November 2006 07:27 PM EDT (US)     12 / 116  
imo group 3 is the hardest not just because it has irnoob but because there is good outsider players such as anastasoulis and havoc as for myself i do not belive i have a strong chance of qualifying
posted 08 November 2006 07:30 PM EDT (US)     13 / 116  
btw sunrise you got like 40 points or so cuz you was like 1710/1720
posted 08 November 2006 08:17 PM EDT (US)     14 / 116  
good luck everyone, especially to the two aussies.

www.vbclan.net - Aussie/Kiwi AoT and AoE3 clan
posted 08 November 2006 10:23 PM EDT (US)     15 / 116  
i never played you sunrise,

you refer to beating me in 3v3s, which are worthless.

I wont be playing my best god though, cause i now hate him, so i dont have a god. Im either going random, or just Krushing everyone ftw.

awwww im in the group with random capitalization idiots + worst names ever!!

[This message has been edited by havoc 55 (edited 11-08-2006 @ 11:58 PM).]

posted 09 November 2006 01:03 AM EDT (US)     16 / 116  
Who's I_r_noob I thought it Urgwaine? (Timezone nearest to Dap's)...

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
-Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
-Vagabond Tom.

posted 09 November 2006 03:14 AM EDT (US)     17 / 116  
Please stop discussing hacks, everyone. You know that it is not allowed in this forum, and I do not want this thread closed because of it. This is why I will report anyone who continues to bring up this topic in this thread, so that the consequences hit him and not the tourney thread.

Thanks to everyone for the praise on the tournament organization. It strengthens my belief that an online thing like a clan or tournament can only be turned into success with a determined leadership that rests in one hand, not with any democratic or lazy approaches. I will try my best to guide this tourney to success, proving that it can be done. If this tournament is successful, word may spread, and perhaps we can base the next one upon the patch, with people interested enough in participating so that they will accept the patch. This in turn might be the first step into the playing community for the patch, so that it becomes known, valued, and widespread.

Quoted from Colossus_91:

Can this thread be used for arranging the matches?

Sure, go ahead. Definitely better than discussing hacks in it.

posted 09 November 2006 06:27 AM EDT (US)     18 / 116  
OK, thanks DaP for including me.
I've copied the names of the other guys in my group, and I'll try to find them online around 10-12 morning GMT time.
I guess the games can be played advanced, so that we can avoid the loss of our score rating.
Not that I have much to lose of course, since I'm pretty low right now...

anyways, gl hf guys

regards

the Elder
"imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein
posted 09 November 2006 07:32 AM EDT (US)     19 / 116  
Dead obvious who will win, what would be more intersting is who will come top 3. .

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
-Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
-Vagabond Tom.

[This message has been edited by TTK_GeneralNoob (edited 11-09-2006 @ 07:34 AM).]

posted 09 November 2006 11:39 AM EDT (US)     20 / 116  
nvm

[This message has been edited by minatour_warrior (edited 11-09-2006 @ 12:00 PM).]

posted 09 November 2006 12:15 PM EDT (US)     21 / 116  
I haven't played since August

Sometimes you need to scare the lambs,
tell tales of evil bad wolves.
Because if there is nothing to fear,
they might think for themselves.
posted 09 November 2006 12:29 PM EDT (US)     22 / 116  
HaVoc, in the 3v3's when i beat you, usually, i would agree with you...had the game lasted upwards of 40 minutes, and allys had been involved. on the occasions we played, i beat you in less than 20, with no ally interference, except IIRC, zeph sending sphinxes to help you.
posted 09 November 2006 03:43 PM EDT (US)     23 / 116  
Well I didn't participate cause I'm still a little noobie.

Well gl hf to everyone, espesially to Anastasoulis, who is a friend of mine.

posted 09 November 2006 04:16 PM EDT (US)     24 / 116  
Well I would agree with you click, but your only here to inflate your ego and skill. Havoc has a point, 3v3 are the last thing to judge playing ability
posted 10 November 2006 02:20 AM EDT (US)     25 / 116  
When will you update the scores .

-Wartrain.

-Vagabond Tom.

[This message has been edited by TTK_GeneralNoob (edited 11-10-2006 @ 02:24 AM).]

posted 10 November 2006 03:34 AM EDT (US)     26 / 116  
Did not have any spare time yesterday evening (private affairs), but I plan on doing so tonight. At the weekend I expect many games to be played, and I will most likely be highly active myself and should be able to update every few hours.

posted 10 November 2006 04:29 AM EDT (US)     27 / 116  

Quoted from DeathAndPain :

Did not have any spare time yesterday evening (private affairs)

Hubba Hubba!

-Wartrain.

-Vagabond Tom.

posted 10 November 2006 06:05 AM EDT (US)     28 / 116  
good to see people getting excited about this...

the Elder
"imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein
posted 10 November 2006 03:52 PM EDT (US)     29 / 116  
SamHam, Fleshanthos, Mr2 Pilot, Weezing and Urgwaine have you guys been online lately cause I added you to my friends but noone seems to have been online in the last two days. Can we make an apointment? I am free tomorrow evening and the whole Sunday who wants to take me on!

Desinger of Kalos Design Studios

Creator of: Ilums Mythodea.
Currently working on: Generals of Osiris (MP-RPG)54%
posted 10 November 2006 05:41 PM EDT (US)     30 / 116  
Since i r noob misunderstood this, I would like to clarify that the points are awarded for complete best-of-three matchups, not for the single games of which these matchups contain.

For instance, this means that a 2:0 win is worth 2 points (and not 4 points). 2:1 would also be worth 2 points. How clearly you won will only make a difference when several players end up having the same amount of points. If the win/loss ratio is also the same, direct comparison will decide (who won when the two players in question played each other). If they did not play against each other, or if there is a triangle of equal players (A defeats B defeats C defeats A) with the same amount of points, there will be a highhanded DaP decision. In order to avoid this, make sure you win decisively ).

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » ----- The AoTH tournament has begun! -----
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames