Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Supremacy Monthly Challenge: September
posted 31 August 2014 12:22 PM EDT (US)   

Every month, a specific supremacy challenge will be posted. This challenge will have certain rules and restrictions to fit in with the theme, and each month one player will be crowned champion, and get a cool star next to their name in the forums.

The next challenge is here! Let's congratulate last month's winner, ephestion!

Important: For judging purposes, we would like to ask that this and future challenges be completed using The Titans version of AoM. Extended Edition recorded games are very time consuming to judge because of the slow speed, even if played fast. Using The Titans makes for more accurate judging.

This month will be the Ajax's might challenge. Ajax has ventured into hostile territory, but he's not backing down. He must defend his land to construct the mighty titan, before his adversaries take over.
This challenge is much harder than the previous one. It may take a few tries and some different strategies but it is possible to beat, especially when you take advantage of the ai.

Submissions will be judged by staff members.
Suggestions for future challenges and improvements welcome.

Map setup: Player setup:

Click here to download map - You can pick Large or Normal size, and even have the map revealed
You
Team 1
Titan enemy computer (any ai)
Team 2
Titan enemy computer (any ai)
Team 2

Ajax's Might

• Use the link above to download the challenge. You must use this RM to play, and you must choose a greek god. Please use AoM The Titans if possible.
  • Win the challenge by keeping Ajax alive, and finishing a titan before the enemy.
  • If Ajax dies at any time for any reason, you lose.
  • No mods.
  • No cheats.
  • If you need to start over do not use the restart button. The game will not record. Go back to the menu and start it from there.
    Credit goes to WarriorMario for triggering the RM.

To enter, submit your recorded game to the downloads section as:
    Monthly Challenge: September - Your name
    And post a link to it here.

Achievements:

Ajax's Might Complete the challenge.
    Uncharted Complete the challenge without Reveal Map.
    What Do I Gotta Do To Get Some Food Around Here Capture the most goats.
    Warrior Use Ajax to help kill a myth unit.
    Relic Hoarder Capture the most relics using Ajax alone.
  •  

[This message has been edited by Thangbrand Aesirear (edited 09-06-2014 @ 11:50 PM).]

Replies:
    posted 03 September 2014 06:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 29  
    Should probably make it official and newsie this. They're pretty fun to do.

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
    posted 03 September 2014 07:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 29  
    pretty sure its there

posted 03 September 2014 08:41 PM EDT (US)     3 / 29  
    I mean like the monthly battlefield briefings.

posted 03 September 2014 08:56 PM EDT (US)     4 / 29  
    it is

posted 03 September 2014 09:55 PM EDT (US)     5 / 29  
    Waht. I don't see it. AOMH HAS FORSAKEN ME!!1oneone

Where's this month's announcement?

posted 03 September 2014 11:08 PM EDT (US)     6 / 29  
    posted 04 September 2014 00:03 AM EDT (US)     7 / 29  
    Maybe add a small picture so it's more appealing.

We cannot rely on luck to be successful.
    posted 04 September 2014 03:04 AM EDT (US)     8 / 29  
    It doesn't mention needing to win the game is all you need to to build a titan before either enemy computer player then you can resign? Just realized it might be programmed into the map that you win once you build a titan.

Also what are the rules for the computers AI can we use any of the standard AI for example protector?
    posted 04 September 2014 09:54 AM EDT (US)     9 / 29  
    hm... if you did pick another it might be hard for me to check

technically I could use the ai file to help me figure out what computer name goes with each personality but even that might be time consuming. so lets do this - the challenge is expected to be beaten with the standard titan computer but if you used say a more aggressive ai like conqueror or attacker, you might get extra points for your valor.

so you can use whatever ai you want, just make sure you tell me which ones you used. I'm still gonna try to check it though

[This message has been edited by Thangbrand Aesirear (edited 09-04-2014 @ 09:56 AM).]

posted 04 September 2014 12:16 PM EDT (US)     10 / 29  
    Lol i mean this specific announcement about this month's challenge and all subsequent supremacy challenges thereafter during their respective months.

posted 11 September 2014 07:29 AM EDT (US)     11 / 29  
    I only just seen this! Now I know what your map was for. I might have a try at it tonight! (Though I suck at supremacy )

Don't worry - I will resist the temptation to transform my entire army into Osirises mid game. (The recorded game would probably not work if I did that anyway )

EDIT: Had a go but was useless at it and didn't get anywhere.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 09-11-2014 @ 01:57 PM).]

posted 14 September 2014 08:30 PM EDT (US)     12 / 29  
    How's everybody doing with this?

posted 20 September 2014 07:39 AM EDT (US)     13 / 29  
    Think it would be hard enough with one titan! Not even going to try myself, will get destroyed.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    ____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
    posted 26 September 2014 01:28 PM EDT (US)     14 / 29  
    Hi, I'm sorry. I don't have TT at the moment, so I did it with EE. You will not have too many games to watch, so maybe you can watch mine anyway.
    Suggestion: Can u tell everyones Points and maybe make a little ranking? Would be fun imo.

The game took 24min to finish. The titans are too strong to attack, so I had to defend with Towers and walls all game long. Some Archers would be nice too, but I decided to save the money and go for the titan faster.

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=10873
    posted 26 September 2014 08:18 PM EDT (US)     15 / 29  
    awesome!!!

I will look at it as soon as I get back from vacation, in a few days.

[This message has been edited by Thangbrand Aesirear (edited 09-26-2014 @ 08:19 PM).]

posted 28 September 2014 11:53 AM EDT (US)     16 / 29  
    I added my contribution to the downloads part of the website. I didn't do as well as the first one in terms of achievements, because I read them after doing the match.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
    "When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde.
    posted 28 September 2014 05:01 PM EDT (US)     17 / 29  
    ephestion, the computers are enemies with each other. This will lower your score significantly. If you think you have the time to squeeze in another game go ahead. The player setup say these computers need to be allies.

A detailed analysis will be written on the games and a winner will be declared, on October 1st.

[This message has been edited by Thangbrand Aesirear (edited 09-28-2014 @ 08:00 PM).]

posted 29 September 2014 07:55 PM EDT (US)     18 / 29  
    I updated my previous file. I think it qualifies aside teh fact I forgot to record in TT and it's in AOMEE....sorry.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
    "When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde.
    posted 29 September 2014 07:59 PM EDT (US)     19 / 29  
    no problem

posted 30 September 2014 06:31 AM EDT (US)     20 / 29  
    @ephestion in your game the computers are set to "defenders". I don't think there is anything in the rules about that, but it makes the game really boring. But nice abuse
    posted 30 September 2014 10:55 AM EDT (US)     21 / 29  
    LOL. When you are two ages ahead of the Titan AI it does not attack you recklessly. That is why you saw less assault on my base. However, my defenses were weaker than Hades, lacked Sentinels also, so I had to rely on absorbing damage as opposed to reflecting or dealing counter damage. Plus I had an army with my Titan at the end

The other thing is that I watched your recorded game and was wondering how you managed to get RA's siege towers to walk up and down your walls without them being used? I find it an anomaly that the siege is just sitting around and not actually attacking your walls or towers. Abuse?

posted 30 September 2014 11:41 AM EDT (US)     22 / 29  
    The verdict:
    Neither player chose greek enemy gods as the thread stated, but I let it slide because it was close to the deadline and they both did this.

terratos:
    5/5 Achievements
  • Completed Challenge
  • Completed without Reveal Map
  • Captured the most goats - 9 (both more than the computers and the competitor)
  • Used Ajax to help kill a MU
  • Captured the most relics using Ajax alone (all - 3)

The following are positives and negatives on the gameplay. They affect your rating based on how well you controlled your game with what you were given.

Postives:
    Good eco control, few idle villagers all around
    Never got hunting dogs
    Created only one non-hero military unit
    Good scouting
    Took a second TC
    Excellent defense
    Good population control
    Used caravans for trade

Negatives:
    Lost 1-2 villes
    Lost a sentinel on invoke

ephestion:
    3/5 Achievements
  • Completed Challenge
  • Completed without Reveal Map
  • Captured the most goats - 7 (more than the computers)

Postives:
    Fast advances
    No hunting dogs
    No military
    Good walling strategy

Negatives:
    Scouting lacking
    Idle villagers
    Chose a much less aggressive ai

Looking over the numbers here, terratos is declared our winner. Congratulations

Final words: What this match really came down to was the winner's choice of ai. The standard ai made for more aggressive enemies, which allowed me to see more of how the player handled themselves in the face of stress. Protector ai was chosen by the other competitor, resulting in less need for constructive defense. This means that they also had more time to complete achievements, but got less than the player who used standard ai. So it was the ai, next to achievements, and the correlation between the two that determined the win.

In the next challenge, Egyptians will be our civ Congrats again.

[This message has been edited by Thangbrand Aesirear (edited 09-30-2014 @ 06:54 PM).]

• posted 30 September 2014 08:34 PM EDT (US)     23 / 29  
    Congrats to Terratos.

I would still like to know how you/he managed to get the siege to move back and forward from his walls but never attack. What micro AI abuse was going on there?

posted 01 October 2014 06:20 AM EDT (US)     24 / 29  
    Thx.

I totally missed that the Computers should be greek, sry.
    About the siege: imo it's a bug. It seems like they don't attack walls when get are under attack... bad AI.

@Thangbrand Aesirear I would like some more aggressive Challenges. Maybe like kill 10 (ok, maybe that are too many) hard AI as fast as possible without using a wonder or something like that.
    posted 01 October 2014 09:29 AM EDT (US)     25 / 29  
    yes the first two challenges have been all about defense. I plan to make the next two more aggressive.

posted 01 October 2014 10:57 AM EDT (US)     26 / 29  
    I had one to upload where I villager rushed the first AI and dealt with the second but the kids over wrote my recorded games today and besides it was too late to upload. The second AI attacked in his ally's base all game there after, so my econ was safe at the starting position.

But I think if we are going to get people uploading then you need to make the challenges easier. The previous challenge had many more uploads. Set multiple tasks or achievements as you did before that most people can complete.

posted 01 October 2014 04:36 PM EDT (US)     27 / 29  
    Agreed, I do like to fluctuate with the difficulty though. The next challenge will be easier.

posted 02 October 2014 07:39 AM EDT (US)     28 / 29  
    Certainly willing to give the next challenege a go hopefully will do better than last time. :P
    posted 15 October 2014 04:23 PM EDT (US)     29 / 29  
    sorry for not getting the next competition out yet, RL has me tied down recently

midway point has passed for the month, look to next month for the next challenge

[This message has been edited by Thangbrand Aesirear (edited 10-16-2014 @ 02:33 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Supremacy Monthly Challenge: September
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames