You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New Expansion for AoMEE is confirmed! Tale of the Dragon.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 18 September 2015 06:18 PM EDT (US)   
(http://www.forgottenempires.net/age-of-mythology-tale-of-the-dragon-announcement)

"13 years. It’s been 13 years since the release of Age of Mythology on PC. And 12 years since the release of its expansion pack: The Titans. But for great games like Age of Mythology, these years are merely a number. It’s time for a new expansion pack! With the collective experience and with expansions for the Age of Empires II series, Age of Mythology almost feels like the next logical step, although next time we probably shouldn’t wait over a decade before taking on the challenge 😉

Many of you already guessed it after the sneaky teaser at E3 and a lot of speculation has been seen across the community boards, but now the word is officially out: Age of Mythology: Tale of the Dragon is being created by Forgotten Empires and SkyBox Labs and will be the next part in the legendary series.

Livestream

We’re not diving into a lot of detail here, but we’ll quench your thirst for more soon on a livestream. So make sure to tune in on www.twitch.tv/ageofempires on October 2nd (exact time will be posted later). See you there!"

Creator of AoM Expanded Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1828492742) and Mod on AoEWiki (Morayus1)
Replies:
posted 18 September 2015 06:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 71  
New Things:

Chinese get Villagers.
Use "Storage Pit" which is a merged Granary, and Storehouse
Get Horse Archers (Most likely Anti-Cavalry Ranged Hit & Run Unit)
Get "Chu Ko Nu" which if you've played AoE3 or AoK, they are automatic crossbowmen.
Get "Steppe Riders" probably cheap cavalry units like the Raiding Horseman.
get "Chiang Dao Spearman" Spearman who have less health and more attack.
Gets "Military Blockhouse" which can train Archers and Cavalry.
Gets "Academy" which trains Infantry.

New Nature:
- Tigers: Just reskin lions that are as fast as wolves.
- Bamboo: Yields less Wood(?) but is gathered faster.

Speculation on Favor Gather: They may pray or Build Shrines which can be used to either export resources for favor or pray at (a merged Greek/Egyptian Favor systems)

Probably will get a "Castle" Fort which will train elite units.

Second Civ to get Siege Camps?

Probably will get a Flamethrower Siege Weapon, and a Siege Crossbow, and a Catapult.

Creator of AoM Expanded Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1828492742) and Mod on AoEWiki (Morayus1)
posted 18 September 2015 06:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 71  
omg...

Edit: Reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/AgeofMythology/comments/3lhp92/age_of_mythology_tale_of_the_dragon_announcement/

[This message has been edited by CeaseDaFire (edited 09-18-2015 @ 06:51 PM).]

posted 18 September 2015 07:06 PM EDT (US)     3 / 71  
!!!

Yes! Childhood Resurrection!

The freer I get, the higher I go
The higher I go, the more I see
The more I see, the less I know

-Ram Dass
posted 18 September 2015 07:16 PM EDT (US)     4 / 71  
Kinda disappointed in that screenshot, everything appears to be a reskin or extremely slight modification of the greek civs.

Houses, barracks, stable, granary, nothing really new.

Compare it to the massive changes the atlantean civ brought with it's expansion and this just seems a bit lame.

Ăžųŗ§ƒ¡ŗë
--------------------
Scenario Scriptor for Reverie World Studios
-Forums-
posted 18 September 2015 07:30 PM EDT (US)     5 / 71  
But will it contain a campaign with Arkantos' original voice actor? I can only spend my nostalgia bucks in a few places ya know.
posted 18 September 2015 08:45 PM EDT (US)     6 / 71  
I doubt any reference of the Original Campaign is returning, it's most likely going to be a different campaign either based on real ancient Chinese events, mythological stories or an entirely new campaign.

posted 18 September 2015 08:57 PM EDT (US)     7 / 71  
Such a pity it's an expansion for AOMEE and not compatible with the original game...
posted 18 September 2015 10:23 PM EDT (US)     8 / 71  
I would be disappointed if the campaign were completely unrelated. Part of what made AOM great was having 44 missions driven by powerful narrative and throwing away all those characters would be stupid, and come on, the end of the titans campaign was just had us begging for more story! Do we not want to see what a new atlantis would have been like?

"I NED MOAR RANGE" Pubby8
posted 19 September 2015 03:38 AM EDT (US)     9 / 71  
Exciting stuff
Can't wait for the 2nd.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 19 September 2015 03:56 AM EDT (US)     10 / 71  
Oh man, this is great!

old JAMILEIVO in ESO
posted 19 September 2015 04:05 AM EDT (US)     11 / 71  
What has awakened me...

:| Sweet Mother of Gods.

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
posted 19 September 2015 06:18 AM EDT (US)     12 / 71  
SPECULATION

Infantry:
Qiang Spearman - Classical Age - Anti-Cavalry Spearman
Changdao - Heroic Age - Anti-Infantry Swordsman

Archer:
Javelineer - Classical Age - Anti-Archer.
Chu Ko Nu - Heroic Age - Anti-Infantry Auto Crossbowman.
Mangudai/Keshik/Horse Archer - Heroic Age - Hit & Run Cavalry

Cavalry:
Unknown - Classical Age - Anti-Archer Cavalry

Siege Weapons:
Siege Crossbow - Heroic - Anti-Building
Catapult - Mythic - Good versus Hordes.
Flamethrower - Mythic - Anti-Ship/Anti-Infantry Siege

Hero:
- Monk: Attacks using Martial Arts, can train 2 white tigers.

Unique Buildings:
War Academy: Can train Infantry.
Storage Pit: Stores Food, Wood and Gold
Shrine: Nearby Animals are attracted to the Shrine, the more animals, the more favor.
Military Blockhouse: Trains Cavalry, and Archers
Siege Workshop: Trains Siege Weapons
Castle: Trains Elite Units

posted 19 September 2015 06:34 AM EDT (US)     13 / 71  
Interesting, the units and buildings look very similar to the Chinese civ in AoE3. Even the trees look almost identical to the ones in some AoE3:TAD maps. If it wasn't for the watermarks and the distinctive AoM goldmine I would have assumed this was a mod for AoE3.

Also, looking at Steelion69's unit list, a lot of those units appear to be taken straight out of AoE3. Cho Ko Nu, Steppe Riders, Chiang Dao, Castle, Academy, and the flamethrower are all in AoE3. I have a feeling they will call the horse archer a Keshik like in AoE3 too. The Shrine system seems to have been taken from the Japanese civ in AoE3 as well.

AoE3 also had trainable "pets" (basically animals) like Tigers, Jaguars, Monkeys, Dogs, etc. which the white tigers in the screenshot seem to be inspired by. I mean the main AoE3 campaign had white jaguars as one of the enemy's go-to units.

Also, take a look at the Steppe Rider from AoE3 (below) and compare it to the cavalry in the image in the OP.

Steppe Rider

The villagers look similar too, and the large building in the bottom left is almost identical to the Chinese town centre in AoE3.

EDIT: I didn't realise that BronyKing11's post was speculation when I wrote this (and I hadn't even seen his most recent one). My point still stands about the visual similarities though.

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!

[This message has been edited by anterior2 (edited 09-19-2015 @ 06:46 AM).]

posted 19 September 2015 09:23 AM EDT (US)     14 / 71  
Great, new content!
Hopes it doesnt feck up with the balance too much though, probably will be fine i guess.
posted 19 September 2015 10:04 AM EDT (US)     15 / 71  
This is amazing! I really hope there is some kind of tie in with the original campaigns, at least...
posted 19 September 2015 12:21 PM EDT (US)     16 / 71  
I'm sure the 12 year old writing the script will fill it with Adamantine doors.

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
posted 19 September 2015 01:05 PM EDT (US)     17 / 71  
lool =))

Nice new stuff. Hopefully I won't have to load all my submitted maps again.

Youtube Channel
Skyrim... the greatest game ever... without considering Age of Mythology, of course!
Ctrl...Alt...Q...
and Brisingr-know these three things and your task here is accomplished...
posted 19 September 2015 03:04 PM EDT (US)     18 / 71  
NEW UNITS NEW TERRAIN TEXTURES NEW GOD POWERSWPENVUHGAOGJTONRUEIKFNJGNSLOGPAHSDKJ

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
posted 20 September 2015 06:52 AM EDT (US)     19 / 71  
One thing that bothers me slightly. The norse, greeks and egyptians feels more related in a way. The norse were all over Europe with their sailing and raids, egypt and greece are really not that far from each other, and probably had plenty of dealings in the past.
Atlanteans, well, they are more of a fantasy civ, so no further comments.
Now there is the chinese? I mean, norse and egyptians are hardly had much to do with each other, but China is literally on the other side of the world. I fail to see how they would relate to the others. Im no history expert, but China and Europe hardly had much contacts and dealings at these early stages, did they?

Romans would probably be the more sensible civ, but they share alot in common with greek mythology, so perhaps not.
Im not saying this wont be great fun, and the dlc could be very well made, i just dont see the connection with the other civs.
Hope they also buff the norse sligthly, but i dont expect them too.

[This message has been edited by Aoe_1337 (edited 09-20-2015 @ 06:53 AM).]

posted 20 September 2015 04:38 PM EDT (US)     20 / 71  
The Silk Road allowed the Hellenics/Alexanderines to trade with the Chinese, that and Egyptian Traders in Babylon.

posted 20 September 2015 06:56 PM EDT (US)     21 / 71  
posted 20 September 2015 06:52 AM EDT (US) 19 / 20 Aoe_1337's Profile Edit This Message
One thing that bothers me slightly. The norse, greeks and egyptians feels more related in a way. The norse were all over Europe with their sailing and raids, egypt and greece are really not that far from each other, and probably had plenty of dealings in the past.
Atlanteans, well, they are more of a fantasy civ, so no further comments.
Now there is the chinese? I mean, norse and egyptians are hardly had much to do with each other, but China is literally on the other side of the world. I fail to see how they would relate to the others. Im no history expert, but China and Europe hardly had much contacts and dealings at these early stages, did they?

Romans would probably be the more sensible civ, but they share alot in common with greek mythology, so perhaps not.
Im not saying this wont be great fun, and the dlc could be very well made, i just dont see the connection with the other civs.
Hope they also buff the norse sligthly, but i dont expect them too.
AOM is kind of asynchronous. The trojan war happened in about 1200 BC, Hoplites, the main greek infantry unit in the game, didn't appear until 500 BC.

The Norse as we see them in game (i.e. the vikings) were not the established culture in scandanavia until about 1100 AD.

There is nothing wrong with this though, because AOM is a fantasy game at heart, it just uses the common tropes of the ancient world and mingles them with mythology to create a narrative, and they did well.

Also Steelion69 is right, Asia and Europe, and for that matter, Europe and Africa, were far more closely related than you might think. The ancient chinese were (and this is a fact) very aware of the Roman Empire due to trade on the Silk Road, so once again this is just an example of use of narratives from up to 3000 years ago to create a story, I for one am looking forward to seeing what they can do, and I hope that they can tie it in with existing characters, rather than simply leaving the cast of main characters from the past AOM campaigns behind.

"I NED MOAR RANGE" Pubby8
posted 21 September 2015 06:43 AM EDT (US)     22 / 71  
Did not see this coming. I still play the game regularly but there are no where near as many people playing it as there are AoE II. Still looking forward to trying out this expansion pack. Buildings are looking very "Greeky" at the moment, so I hope that changes.
posted 22 September 2015 08:05 PM EDT (US)     23 / 71  
Looks lazy.
posted 22 September 2015 08:54 PM EDT (US)     24 / 71  
Well looky here

Disappeared for 3 years

Came back for one day

posted 22 September 2015 09:55 PM EDT (US)     25 / 71  
Era of Myth > AoM:EE

𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒾 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝓅𝑒
posted 23 September 2015 07:57 AM EDT (US)     26 / 71  
Hey everyone,

I'm one of the project managers for Forgotten Empires on the new AoM expansion. I'll answer a few questions that came forward in this topic.

Rest assured, the Chinese will in no way be a copy of the Chinese in AoE3, nor the Greeks in AoM. All models and textures have been newly created for this. One of the dev blogs will probably highlight the graphical pipeline. On the livestream we'll also elaborate more on why we picked the Chinese over other pantheons.

If you have any other questions, fire away. Although I'm bound to an NDA, so I cannot reveal too much :P
posted 23 September 2015 09:09 AM EDT (US)     27 / 71  
You could go ahead and make a new thread dedicated to Q&A and that way I can round up everybody who has something to ask.

posted 23 September 2015 12:16 PM EDT (US)     28 / 71  
Maybe that's something for later, at the moment there isn't a lot I can reveal anyways
posted 23 September 2015 04:52 PM EDT (US)     29 / 71  
Yeah, I see that the models aren't reused

but the skeletons are (hint hint, monk, Chu Ko Nu)

I wasn't suprised that the Chinese weren't going to be Greek/Chinese AoE3 clones.

especially since gunpowder wasn't even used in warfare back then, so i'd guess the chinese won't be a "trash civ"

(If you can't answer them in this thread, do it in the livestream please)

Also:
- Any Hints on how the chinese gather favor (I guess it's exporting resources at their shrine for food)
- Any new game mechanics?
- Will there be any be any new trash units/elite units for the old AoM/TT civs?, since just minor changes would make people think, all it added was a new campaign, civ and big fixes)
- Is the campaign a continuation from the Atlantis one? or an entirely new story?

Anyway, there is a main reason why you picked the chinese, most likely because they were the easiest to research, the silk road (which I presume will be a tech for a minor god, or the chinese in general), also because that the chinese were not just around that time frame (3600s - 500s CE) but because they had relations with the greeks, egyptians and norse (and atlanteans obviously)

posted 24 September 2015 06:11 AM EDT (US)     30 / 71  
- Is the campaign a continuation from the Atlantis one? or an entirely new story?
Mostly a new story, but there will be references to the old story. For The Titans expansion, the continuation made sense since the story was all about Atlantis, so when adding the Atlanteans they had a perfect segue. The Chinese will start almost anew.
- Any new game mechanics?
Yes, although nothing as invasive and game-changing as the Titans.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » New Expansion for AoMEE is confirmed! Tale of the Dragon.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames