You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A guide to the maps: Anatolia
posted 24 January 2003 02:32 AM EDT (US)   
Sorry taking so long in getting this one up, I've been busy, and sick .

I'll start off with the basics about the map.

-Food

You will always start with a berry patch or near your home base, as well ussually fairly close will be 3+ boars. very close to your tc, as well there are ussually a decent amount of sheep to be found early on. There is also a lot more hunting to be found on the map, there is ussually one big pile of deer in one of the two corners you start near, as well there is ussually at least 1 big pile of deer in the middle. However all of these deer ussually won't play a big part in your game due to the great fishing on this map. As I said there is great fishing but only on two sides of the map, this makes things tricky as you may end up fighting on both sides of the water. As well there are also wolves on this map, these are the only animals on the map that would be really useful as agressive animals to a set user. Ussually there are two groups of them, and very often they are in 1 corner of each players maps, this being the case it's always important to watch your villager who is going to build a dock to make sure they are not going to be running through a pack of wolves.

-Relics

There always seems to be 2 relics on this map, I can't remember seeing more or less ever. The two relics are generally set in the corners of the map, one in one of your corners, and one in your opponents corner of the map. Sometimes these relics will wander closer to the middle of the map, but they can almost always be found on the outer edges it seems.

-Terrain

There are ussually several large ridges near your base and the enemies base, with the middle in general being more of an open space crowded in by ridges. You can use these to your advantage as there are only a few places that attacks can come from if you control important parts of the map. You can ussually get away with walling portions of the map to divert his troops or at the least slow them down on this map, however it is possible to use the water for transportation around those walls so you have to be careful about that.

-Gold

This one is very important. You will always (so far as I can remember) start out with 2 small gold mines withing the perimiter of your starting base, for a total of 6000 starting gold, beyond this all of the gold is in the centre of the map between the two players. It's very important to make sure you can claim some of this gold, as trading on this map is not the most optimal of ways to get gold.

-Settlements

Ussually the settlments are pretty fair on this map, you should always have one extra one in a corner near you, and there will be two up for grabs in the central part of this map, occasionally settlement screws will occur as the ridges make a certain settlement more acsessible to you than to your opponent.

How to play the map.

Greek:

To start with I wouldn't build a mill by your berries/chickens, these are slow sources of food and not really worth it, instead I'd use my starting sheep and eat them up early. With your supperior scout you may be able to find enough sheep to keep your tc flowing nicely just using sheep. If you happen to not find enough sheep however it is likely you will have found your boars by then, you should then build your mill by them. In general you should need about 5 vils on food for a fishing start. Remember the longer you can delay building a mill the better off your dock boom will be. The rest of the starting you should be able to figure out on your own.

Tip: If you are Zeus try to pull a fast one on norse opponents, they will almost always be building their dock right off the start, if you send your scout along one of the shorlines you have a 50/50 chance of being on the same side as their ulfsark. If you can use lightning bolt on their ulfsark that early it will gain you a HUGE advantage, especially if they don't have their dock fully built by the time you find them.

Tip: Again if you are Zeus remember that you have the ultimate building destroyer in hopplites. This means if you can hit fast enough you can win the water battle simply by taking their docks out with hoplites, beyond that it won't take many ships to take him out on water as he now has to worry about a mass of hoplites on top of water.

Norse:

Try to build your dock towards the centre of the map, this way you should be able to claim more fishing than your opponent if you both fish the same side. I'd suggest getting two ulfsarks out before you are even ready to start building a temple, you'll need both of them for the buildings you'll need to put up. Other than that this is a pretty straightforward starting for norse.

Egypt:

The egyptians get the nice option of being able to build two docks right off the bat without hurting their dock boom at all, I'd suggest building one on each side, but don't do them both too early as you won't have the res nescessary for fishing ships from both and therefore are wasting early vil seconds.

Tip: As Set if you can find the wolves fast enough converting a couple will give you a very large advantage, enemy docks not being near to their base should make them an easy kill for your converted animals early on.

In General:

You'll want to get a dock up as early as you can without sacrificing your vil flow from the tc, remember to look out for those wolves on the way to the water as they will kill your vil pretty fast if you just try to blitz past them. Fishing can be very important on this map, however the middle of the map is far more important in general. It's never a bad idea to fight on both sides of the water if your enemy has fishing on both sides, however don't forget about the land, I can't stress this enough as the middle of the map is so incredibly important. If you find that you are going to lose the water battle eventually then keep defensive and start your forward base, make sure to use everything available to you, as norse you should gain favour fairly quickly fighting on water so try to get some myth units out. Make sure you are always scouting out your enemy to see if they are starting to gear up for a land attack. If they get a good headstart on you, you may be sunk before you even start to build a land army.

Gold control can play a big part on this map. Keep in mind where the gold on the map is, as well look at your own gold piles, if they are starting to run low then chances are your enemies gold mines are depleting as well, time to check those gold mines, keeping your opponent off of the middle gold mines is an easy way to win, although still not a sure fire win. An easy way to keep track of the gold mines is to simply place a building down next to the ones most likely to be used by your enemy, it's a relitively cheap way to keep track of the gold mines and where to concentrate your attack on. Egypt of course can build obelisks all over at a much cheaper price than norse and greek, this can be very handy even if the obelisks are easily destroyed.

Going all out land can be a valid option on this map, always fish in the first place however, and don't strike until you have a sufficient army to do some damage to your undefended opponent, there is absolutely no point in giving away your plan by attacking with your first 4 units that you get out, these units will do very little damage to their econ, as well they will give enough of a warning that you will lose your advantage of surprise. Even if he does have tons of fishing it is relatively easy to destroy their docks as they are very limited to their placement, as well as the fact that the docks are so far away from your home base.

The key to this map is deffinitely the middle, I know I've mentioned it several times throughout this post already, but I really can't stress it enough, if you can control the middle of the map fairly well, chances are very good that you will win the game.

What not to do:

Don't walls yourself in early on, yes wall key points, divert his army, but you don't want to go water and get a great econ only to find that you've given up so much map control and gold that you can't support a decent army for long.

Don't be overly passive, aggression is a big key on this map, taking the initiative on this map very often decides the winner as the agressor can keep their opponent of forward gold piles with relative ease.

Don't get hunting dogs early on. Yes there is tons of hunting on this map in general, however it's just too much of a waste of resources early on to be worthwhile. Fishing is far more important to your econ than a bit of faster hunting. Even as Thor it's not advisable to get his Myth Tech for hunting as the gold could be better used to keep your tc running early on.

Well that's it for this map, hope some of it was helpful, again any extra hints/tips/suggestions are appreciated.

Replies:
posted 24 January 2003 09:27 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6  
Great tips, thanks for the map guide series. The only small thing I might add is to be sure to be aware of the ridge contours, often units will need to walk around a fair distance as the cliffs are impassible. This can be especially important with ranged siege, you can be hitting a center tc and enemy units will need to walk around the ridgeline to get to your siege, making it easy to defend your siege. And tox can be very dangerous positioned on a cliff edge, without a direct path to get to them melee counters like rc can suffer.

Little_Wing

Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea.
posted 24 January 2003 10:52 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6  
Good post.

I agree with Little_Wing, the cliffs make a big influence in games. You should take them into account when building and attacking. They can give the defender an advantage, too, since typically the central parts of the map are lower than the player TC areas. (Which means the aggressor often ends up fighting uphill.)

Gold is always what messes me up Anatolia. You need to aggressively take at least part of the middle of the map, or get to heroic fast and set up a trade route...or you're toast. 6000 gold isn't near enough, unless it's going to be a very short game.

TheShædøwDåwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 01-24-2003 @ 10:53 PM).]

posted 24 January 2003 11:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6  
Nice to see you posting here at heaven, Rahl. Great article.

<--Aetius-->
<--Ex Angel-->
<--eX Clan - Support HG-->
<--ESO: eX_Aetius-->
posted 24 January 2003 11:17 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6  
very good guide
i learned a lot...
keep up the good work

it's great to have a top playing giving so much back to the community

posted 24 January 2003 11:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6  
great guide
i learned a good deal from this guide, nv knew the middle of the map was so important.
posted 25 January 2003 02:02 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6  
Good Work. Just one thing you might want to mention, there is a 10% chance you will get stuck with only the one boar. Not a big deal unless you are planning on hunting early with Odin.

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
Help improve RMS reviewing here
A monk I need a monk.
I thought therefore I was.
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » A guide to the maps: Anatolia
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames