Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Tips for designing faster
posted 02 May 2003 01:10 AM EDT (US)   
I've heard alot of people complaining that the AOM editor is very burdensome to design in, and the designing process is very slow, so heres a thread with some tips to get you going a little faster.

#1: When you can see more, you can design more.
Kumar Shah discovered an exploit in the editor where you can zoom out more. Heres how you do it:

-Go to the cinematic editor.
-Click new track
-Zoom in about half as much as you can. Click new waypoint
-Zoom in as far as you can, click new waypoint.
-On the second waypoint (the one that's at the middle) set the tension to anything over 25.
-Set a duration to the camera track and click play
-Slide the progress scroller to "select" your desired zoom level.

Now you can see alot more, and ofcourse design faster.
(note that you'll get some lag and chopiness if you zoom out too far or have a slower graphics card. If you want to zoom out really far set the graphics setting on low. You'll get alot less lag)

Pic

#2 Use Hotkeys

Hotkeys let you jump to commands or actions in the editor just by pressing a key on the keyboard.
Press W for example will open up the water menu. Theres alot of hotkeys:

-Take a look at This Hotkey List Article and study the commands. After using them once or twice you should memorize them and it'll become second nature to press "[" to switch the brush to a circle or "]" to switch it to a square, or pressing 1-0 on the keyboard to change the brush size, or pressing ctrl+C to copy something or ctrl+V to paste, or ctrl+f1 - f8 to switch between players when placing things.
The list goes on

#3 A tip on quickly changing the brush size

While the painter is on the screen, hold down ctrl, then hold down the left mouse button and scroll up or down to adjust the brush size. Up makes it bigger, down makes it smaller. This changes the brush size in seconds, and can make it bigger than the maximum 20 tile radius (you can make it as big as you want actually)

#4 Don't obsess on one part of you map
"polishing" ,as I call it, in AOM takes alot of time because of the so many different variables to manage. Theres terrain, elevation, lighting, cinematics, triggers, units, objects, etc etc. People seem to like to prod and poke at things. Don't do that, people will likely not notice the change So design your terrain, adjust elevation, plop some units down, and rotate a few, delete a tree or two and move on. A mistake I made when working on my world map is that I'd spend too much time poking the elevation, and in the end it really didn't look too different from what it originally looked like.

Not everyone "over-polishes", but for those that do - you'll go much faster and feel like you've done so much more if you don't

#5 Ask people/friends for input
When you have a clear idea what to make, and even suggestions and examples you'll design much faster. Why? because thats how it works. I recommend asking someone their opinion on a part of your map you're working on, and shape it out.

#6 Have a clear idea what you want to do
Most designers don't think of an idea for a scenario when they're just messing around in the editor, but rather when they get an idea or inspiration from something else, whatever it be. Thats why it's also a good idea to get ideas and think about how you want your map to look like, how your cinematic will roll out, and so on. When you go to do it in the editor you'll do it much faster than as if you were brainstorming for ideas on what to place next.

#7 Develop "designer" habbits
You can't really learn this, however I'll explain what it is. Everyone has their own style in designing. Some make very long cinematics that just pan around their map so that they can inspect their map design, others will frequently test the map, and so on. Developing these 'habbits' will give your scenario their own unique thing going on. It'll be different from others, and in a scenarios gameplay you can even sometimes see the style in which a designer designed the scenario, like if he was designing while pitching in.

Also having sort of "order builds" when making your scenario could help. Like placing elevation, then terrain, then trees, units and buildings... In the end these "habbits" will familiarize you with the editor more, you'll design faster, and have a kind of unique design to your scenario.

the AOM editor is so different from the AOK one, theres very little "boundaries", you're not limited to placing units on tiles, you can make your own water, triggers etc. I think a scenario will reflect alot on the person and the way he designed it.

The #1 most important thing that will help you design faster and better is simply expiriance. I've been designing since AOK, so I know my way around so to speak. Exploring the options and features and testing them out is a big way to get expirianced. You probably would learn the most from making and completing a scenario. Even if it sucks, you'll learn alot and atleast know how to make another scenario.

I'll add more things to this guide when I get more ideas

Thanks for reading

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
Replies:
posted 02 May 2003 02:08 AM EDT (US)     1 / 14  
That’s a nice guide didn’t know the player hotkeys before hehe
Yeah I agree with it all, sometimes I just spend a tremendous amount of time on a hard eye candy/new sort of eye candy, well, that might be a little different...

Since during most of the time I can’t get hold of the editor so I actually draw the maps in a notebook, now I have a book of junks hehe, and I did most of the map plans for the campaign crew so they know what I want. so plan before draw, or there’s going to be major issues come up sometimes.

Usually for a huge map I don’t really dare to get all the elevation done then all the terrain, all the nature stuff then the player stuff... so I do it in small separable sections (separated by rivers, difference in terrain, theme, cliff etc.) and in each section do it in the order.

Finally, I really wish I had more time on the editor to mess around with it... I got completely jumpstarted from the aomc forum and didn’t mess with the editor more than 5 times and each didn’t last more than 5 min... and that’ll be one of the things I would surely work on during the summer, even tho I already know most of my way around...

And, nice tips Cheezy
when i have kids i'll buy em monkey pets and feed the monkeys cheese

posted 02 May 2003 09:37 AM EDT (US)     2 / 14  
posted 02 May 2003 10:52 AM EDT (US)     3 / 14  
Great guide: just one thing, can you take off the whispers? My comp has a problem with whispies.hey appear too small.
posted 02 May 2003 11:21 AM EDT (US)     4 / 14  
I would love it if there were more good games out there to play, so there isn’t to much I would divulge about my process to see people express there ideas. First, there’s an entire world for you to create, and endless amount of story’s that could be told, so think big. The idea or inspirational concept, in the end is, what was rendered. So gel, don’t worry about the details; they will come through the process. The story, or game play, will be what you offered, a string of events under your control, with your described outcome. Also, be influenced, play as many posted games as possible, contribute to the pool of knoll age, but harbor what you may release. Like a present that must be unwrapped the revealing world will surprise and inspire.
Map design may be the single most important aspect of any creation. The Great Ones, know where every rock was placed, every tree formation was clustered, and rework that path bending around the grassy knoll till it feels alive. This should also be the most enjoyable part of scenario building. I think of Bob Ross the painter, with the happy little tree, happy floating clouds. Become engrossed in your work; don’t rush what could be a real good time for the person who down loads your map. Further, make your first stroke on paper. Doesn’t have to be pretty, just the motion of a new train of thought, this will help in connecting your string of event’s and help your story to be free flowing. Also a point in editing, rotate the map all the time. Always checking elevations, and unit placement, this will help proportion terrain, and to utilize more space, smarter. Also, save the map in the stages of completion. If there’s a crash, or you wish to rework, or part two happens on the same map, you will have a fresher start. Finally love what you do, be proud of your work; scenario design is no simple task. You will have to keep track of more than can be done in any given moment. So be patient with the process, when you’ve seen your ideas take shape you will start to get the fever and new vigor to finish the game you wanted to play in the first place. Finally, i believe that we stand on the threshold of a new medium of expression, there for it is are job to bring an enjoyable experience to those who seek it. So go forth and create new worlds, spin yarns to captivate the mind and free the soul, your hart will be better off for it.
Hopefully something within this was helpful, and not to much like s.n.l .skit call deep thoughts. Best wishes, can’t wait to see what’s in store.
posted 02 May 2003 12:45 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14  

Quote:

I would love it if there were more good games out there to play, so there isn’t to much I would divulge about my process to see people express there ideas.

Sometimes scenarios are worth playing and can even be funner than some games ( Like Wonderwars by Kemsyt is much funner than, say, Warcraft III.lol )

BTW check out Spartan (link on my sig)

posted 02 May 2003 01:38 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14  
Nice post well done

Presenting...
Lord Of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Saga reproduced exclusively for Age Of Mythology
Coming soon..in Fall 04

posted 02 May 2003 03:22 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14  

Quoted from Tips:

#3 A tip on quickly changing the brush size

While the painter is on the screen, hold down ctrl, then hold down the left mouse button and scroll up or down to adjust the brush size. Up makes it bigger, down makes it smaller. This changes the brush size in seconds, and can make it bigger than the maximum 20 tile radius (you can make it as big as you want actually)

This is an excellent tips, CheeZy! It would be a big time saver . Thanks for the wonderful tips!

PS: that's a very insightful post, sziggi . It is thought provoking.

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 05-02-2003 @ 03:35 PM).]

posted 03 May 2003 00:08 AM EDT (US)     8 / 14  
if your having trouble seeing some text hold down ctrl and use the scroller on the mouse to make it larger

[This message has been edited by AOM_CURSE (edited 05-03-2003 @ 00:09 AM).]

posted 03 May 2003 01:41 AM EDT (US)     9 / 14  
Just be prepared for UBER lag when you zoom out like that. I have been using that very technique described to get some good shots of my maps.... BUT, yeah, I'm thinking like 2 frames per second type lag. I have a GeForce 2 MX 32 MB Video Card. Not the best in the world, mind you.

here are a few shots:

Screenie 1

Screenie 2

posted 03 May 2003 02:51 AM EDT (US)     10 / 14  
Thats a lot of zoom out, I usually just zoom out enough to see just a bit more than the original ones.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
posted 05 May 2003 04:06 AM EDT (US)     11 / 14  
Good guide. I don't use hotkeys, tho.

.-~·*'˜¨¯`·¸[Kemsyt]¸·`¯¨˜'*·~-.
^v^[Scn designer and staff member of Blackstorm Inventions]^v^
«(·÷[Member ofWoad Creations÷·)»
`·.,¸¸,.·´¯["My AoM work: -=WonderWars=-]¯`·.,¸¸,.·´
posted 05 May 2003 08:13 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14  
You should. It's as easy as, well, pressing a button

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 05 May 2003 09:14 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14  
Also, you should remember to install "testing" triggers and objects, if you don't want to play your whole scenario every time you test it. I usually just stick all those triggers in a group and easily delete them all when I'm done with em

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____
posted 05 May 2003 09:36 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14  
Easy method to zoom out... Use the pitch editor IF you have a patched version of the scenario editor.

Tip- An easy way to roughen terrain a bit is to use the raise/lower tool. Set the brush size to a fairly large (prefferably circular) size. Then, set the raise/lower rate to a farily fast one... Zoom out a ways, and move that tool around fast. Just a rapid pass is all it takes for each little strip. (It is also helpful to have the mouse sensitivity set way up for this, as you will not have to move your hand very much, but can still do a lot in one short movement.)

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Tips for designing faster
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames