Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New CINEMATIC Design Contest
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 02 May 2003 07:41 PM EDT (US)   

Mythos Clan is proud to present the first known Cinematic Design contest for Age of Mythology: "Age of Mythology - The Movie." Here your design skills will be put to the limit for a chance to vanquish your competitors (and, oh yeah, win a prize too!). As it is our first such contest, we will limit its scope to a specific scenario and a specific set of rules.

In recognition of the 2,493rd anniversary of the Battle of Marathon, we are dedicating this contest to that great Greek victory over the Persian Empire. First, some background:

Quote:

In 490 BC, the Persian Empire at its height invaded the Greek mainland in hopes of a swift victory. After defeating the Greek city-state of Eretria, the Persian army landed on Attica near the plain of Marathon, only 26 miles from the city of Athens. The Athenians, without the help of the slow moving Spartans, decided to give battle to the invaders, rather than face a seige.

Under the leadership of General Miltiades the Athenians mobilized 10,000 hoplites and marched eastward to repel the invaders. There, sandwiched between some hills and the Bay of Marathon, a Persian fleet of 600 warships had put ashore an invasion force of 20,000 men. Undaunted, it was the Athenians that attacked. Running as fast as their armor permitted, they charged straight at the Persian host. As the armies collided the Greek center seemed to give way to superior Persian numbers, but this was indeed a trap. Miltiades had strengthened his army's two flanks with extra ranks of men, and at length the Athenian phalanxes turned the Persian flanks. Wheeling inward the Athenians then surrounded their enemy.

The Persian troops who had not been caught fled to their ships and escaped, leaving their comrades to be slaughtered. But the Athenians had succeeded in killing almost 10,000 of their enemy. The Athenians lost 192 men.

Through their daring and skill the Greeks prevailed over overwhelming odds. It is also said that a Greek runner bearing the news of the great victory ran the 26 mile distance, entered Athens, proclaimed, "We have won!" and then died of exhaustion. This is the myth of Marathon, and tradition has it this is the basis of the modern long distance foot race.

Now for some contest requirements. These are inflexible and breaking any of these rules can seriously hurt your chance of winning, no matter how wonderfully produced:

Length
Minimum: 2m:00s
Maximum: 7m:00s

Speaking Parts
Must have at least three "speaking parts." These are "characters" in the cinematic that speak or have some kind of dialogue.

Miltiades: The Athenian General
A Persian Character: Darius, one of his generals, one of his soldiers, or?
A Greek Soldier

This is a minimum requirement. More speakers, if used well, may add to the score of your entry.

System Requirements
The cinematic must be playable on a computer with these minimum requirements:

CPU: 1.4 Gigahertz Pentium4
Memory: 512 Megabytes
Video Card: GeForce2 MX 32MB

Other Rules
Must show the sky in at least one shot or angle.
Must show at least the initial Athenian charge.
Number of units on screen is not important.

Bonus Materials
Custom audio features such as voice-overs, sound effects, and music will add to an entry's score only if used appropriately.

Your cinematic and all applicable audio files must be compressed into a single ZIP file with an appropriate Readme.txt file included. Your entry will then be e-mailed directly to Mythos_Ruler here: mikehafer@comcast.net. The body of your entry e-mail must take the following format:

Contest: Age of Mythology - The Movie
Name: Your Name
Movie Title: The title of your cinematic
ZIP Contents: Contents of the ZIP
Description: Short Synopsis of your entry

Members of the Mythos Clan will judge all qualifying entries according to the following procedures and criteria:

Acting (100 Points): This includes dialogue and movements of characters and units within the terrain

Cinematography (100 Points): This is how well the camera moves within the cinematic. Are the angles consistent with a motion picture? Are camera motions jerky or smooth?

Script (100 Points): Does the cinematic flow like a movie? Does it follow the Battle of Marathon faithfully? This also includes whether or not triggers actually work as they are supposed to.

Meeting Minimum Requirements (100): This is an easy 100 points if your cinematic meets all the requirements like Length, etc.

Fun Factor (100): This is admittedly the most subjective caption, but it measures how much fun the viewer had watching your "movie."

Effects (100 Points):is is all the bonus materials that may have been added to the entry. This includes voice-overs for the speaking characters, custom sound effects, custom lighting effects, and music. This category is only judged if you have included such bonus materials, thus, entries without effects will not be penalized.

After we score your cinematic we will average all the above captions in order to get a score from 0 to 100. The higher the score the better. The Highest scoring cinematic wins!
----------------------------

Prizes for winning the Cinematic Design Contest include:

Adoration and Adulation of your peers,
Your skills will be permanently featured on the Mythos Clan Downloads Page,
And a FREE pre-order of the expansion pack for Age of Mythology...

Entry Due date is July 1st, 2003
Individuals, teams, and studios may enter!

Visit the Contest Page at: http://www.mythosclan.net/pages/tournamentsandcontests/contests.html

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 05-03-2003 @ 08:23 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02 May 2003 08:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 31  
Count me in

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 02 May 2003 08:33 PM EDT (US)     2 / 31  
Being a solo designer with no team to back me, and thus few resources at my disposal, my chances are probably not the greatest.

However, I've got a good grasp on cinematic design and I have taken quite a shine to it. I'll do my best.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com
posted 02 May 2003 09:14 PM EDT (US)     3 / 31  
Note: I have altered a cinematic requirement from 5:00 minutes maximum in length to 7:00 minutes. Minimum is unaltered. Though, I doubt this has effected anyone at this early juncture.
posted 02 May 2003 10:28 PM EDT (US)     4 / 31  
Good, five minutes would have been tough.

Byz
Tsunami Studios
"People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
posted 02 May 2003 11:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 31  
Well, I'm game for altering the requirements slightly. What does everythone think would be the optimum cinematic length?
posted 03 May 2003 01:31 AM EDT (US)     6 / 31  
posted 03 May 2003 04:48 AM EDT (US)     7 / 31  
This is a great idea. I'm in.

.-~·*'˜¨¯`·¸[Kemsyt]¸·`¯¨˜'*·~-.
^v^[Scn designer and staff member of Blackstorm Inventions]^v^
«(·÷[Member ofWoad Creations÷·)»
`·.,¸¸,.·´¯["My AoM work: -=WonderWars=-]¯`·.,¸¸,.·´
posted 03 May 2003 06:55 AM EDT (US)     8 / 31  
I hope at least the top 20 or so of these are available for download - it'd be great to watch them.
posted 03 May 2003 08:17 AM EDT (US)     9 / 31  
Well its a good idea but on these requirments

Quote:

Speaking Parts
Must have at least three "speaking parts." These are "characters" in the cinematic that speak or have some kind of dialogue.

Miltiades: The Athenian General
A Greek soldier
A Persian soldier

This is a minimum requirement. More speakers, if used well, may add to the score of your entry.

Other Rules
Must show the sky in at least one shot or angle.

I think that is going a little to specific u should just make it more general

thanx

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 03 May 2003 10:10 AM EDT (US)     10 / 31  
    You know what's cool, the opening cinematic for the Sequel to Spartan ( Talos the Wolf ) involves the battle of Marathon.

But I won't be entering the contest.

posted 03 May 2003 06:06 PM EDT (US)     11 / 31  
    I don't think three speakers is too much. The Athenian general and a couple of soldiers. Not too bad. I'll alter that one if I get anymore concerns on the issue. Thanks for the input.

About the sky requirement: Have you seen any battle scene in any historical epic that you didn't see the sky?

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 05-03-2003 @ 06:27 PM).]

posted 03 May 2003 06:25 PM EDT (US)     12 / 31  

Quoted from Avenger:

I hope at least the top 20 or so of these are available for download - it'd be great to watch them.

Actually, that is a good idea - if I do indeed receieve more than 20 entries. I could create a seperate page within my site to host those cinematics.

A note to all those who've expressed interest:
    If I receive your entry more than a week before the deadline I will test the file, make some preliminary notes, and give you a critique. Let you know what I think before the official judging. You'll then be able to resubmit your file.

Lastly, I will allow everyone only one re-submission to fix bugs/make tweaks.

That's all. Y'guys think that's fair?

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 05-03-2003 @ 06:31 PM).]

posted 03 May 2003 07:48 PM EDT (US)     13 / 31  

Quote:

I don't think three speakers is too much. The Athenian general and a couple of soldiers. Not too bad. I'll alter that one if I get anymore concerns on the issue. Thanks for the input.

Yeah i am not saying it is to much but what if we wanted to do darius. And if we had to have a acting part for the soldiers we wouldn't have time....

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 03 May 2003 08:04 PM EDT (US)     14 / 31  
    Mokon... now, that I can agree with... BUT, "a Persian soldier" can be Darius I. See? That just leaves Darius' nemesis Miltiades and another Greek soldier. I will alter the Speaking Parts requirement a bit to reflect this line of thinking! Thanks.
    posted 03 May 2003 08:22 PM EDT (US)     15 / 31  
    I think speaking should be optional. What if someone has no microphone and no one to get a sound from?

Byz
    Tsunami Studios
    posted 03 May 2003 08:30 PM EDT (US)     16 / 31  
    When I say "speaking" I'm talking about dialogue only. Sound files for the characters are a bonus and must be done well to receive credit. Those cinematics without "bonus files" will not be penalized.
    posted 04 May 2003 11:30 AM EDT (US)     17 / 31  
    For "speaking part" you mean a single phrase, a whole dialogue or what? It's too vague...

.: Fede_histpop 0 A.D. historian, game designer and scenario designer :.
    .: working on TLA Map Editor :.

Co-founder and leader of Historiae Populorum

-DGDN member and Admin-

posted 04 May 2003 11:59 AM EDT (US)     18 / 31  
    posted 04 May 2003 06:10 PM EDT (US)     19 / 31  
    I would Like to do this, and would really like some voice acting in it, but alas, I don't have the right equipment! what should I Do!?
    posted 04 May 2003 06:43 PM EDT (US)     20 / 31  
    Not include voice acting.

Byz
    Tsunami Studios
    posted 04 May 2003 11:04 PM EDT (US)     21 / 31  
    Byz_Warrior is right... voice overs are not needed in this contest, although they would certainly add to the overall production value of your "movie."

What kind of equipment are you lacking? All it requires is a sound card with either a mic jack or a line in jack. I'd surmise 99% of soundcards have these items. A mic of course. And some sound editing software. If you have a Sound Blaster sound card you should probably have "Wave Studio" which is very user friendly, IMHO. Lastly, you probably then need to compress the wave files into MP3s (someone correct me on that if I'm wrong).

posted 05 May 2003 12:40 PM EDT (US)     22 / 31  
    Hey guys, my website (www.mythosclan.net) will be down for a few days. My hosting service had a major hack attack, but it's all good -- I got everything backed up on my computer.

Please keep the comments and suggestions coming. Again, my e-mail is: mikehafer@comcast.net

PS: What does everyone think about the subject matter for the movie?

posted 05 May 2003 05:49 PM EDT (US)     23 / 31  
    Good thing you increased the time. I'd have had to summarise my visionary scope... and I hate summarising.

I'll use the full seven minutes to my advantage. And I'll throw in some music too. I won't say anymore...

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
    big.vitt@gmail.com
    posted 05 May 2003 06:30 PM EDT (US)     24 / 31  
    Personally, anyone who uses the music from G L A D I A T O R effectively in their cinematic will get a , "hell yeah," from Mythos_Ruler.

As far as the time limit goes, let's have an informal poll on what kind of time contraints everyone would like to see. Choose A, B, or C...

A. 2-5 Minutes
    B. 4-8 Minutes
    C. 6-10 Minutes

PS: My site is now back up.

[This message has been edited by Mythos_Ruler (edited 05-05-2003 @ 06:34 PM).]

posted 05 May 2003 06:43 PM EDT (US)     25 / 31  
    Combo of A and C. 2-10 minutes.

Byz
    Tsunami Studios
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » New CINEMATIC Design Contest
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames