You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Have a question? Post it here!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
posted 15 January 2004 10:57 AM EDT (US)   
I, and I'm sure others, have noticed that a lot of forum space is occupied by threads asking questions about the various aspects of Age of Mythology scenario design. So to reduce the space taken up by these question threads in the forum, and to make it a little easier on those who diligently try to answer them all, I started this general question-and-answer thread.

So, post any question regarding triggers, units, mapping, modding... anything related to Age of Mythology, or just life in general, and we, the skilled designers in the AOMH community, will do out best to answer them.

Fire away.

I'm sure you've all noticed by now that the thread has had a quite unexpected level of success, and I see no reason to cut that success short. Keep asking your questions, and we'll keep answering them. I also want to thank all those who've taken it upon themselves to answer any and all questions posted here, namely AoMPlayer000 and oddy, as well as several others. Good work, lads.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 04-30-2004 @ 04:27 PM).]

Replies:
posted 16 January 2004 12:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 2500  
No questions? About anything? Come one, post something!

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com
posted 16 January 2004 01:15 PM EDT (US)     2 / 2500  
i have a question, you have seen the campaign Fall of the Trident right? on the campaign, the scenario number 9 called Revelation and it contains very high mountains that cant normally be done on the editor. how do i make mountains that big? I took a screenshot of the mountains on the editor but i cant upload the screenshot to show you.

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||

[This message has been edited by auron 2 (edited 01-16-2004 @ 01:16 PM).]

posted 16 January 2004 01:41 PM EDT (US)     3 / 2500  
I believe you have to edit an RM script, raising the max limit of the elevation. Then you can make the elevation as high as you want.

Now, I personally know nothing of RM scripting, but supposedly there's a guide to RMS in the "Age of Mythology\docs" folder (the folder where you have AOM installed). You can use that to find out what's involved. There's also a post here that might help you along.

I believe some people have made high elevation templates. MOnTy PyThOn has some available here... perhaps they will meet your needs.

And if all that fails, maybe just try to modify one of the existing FOTT scenarios?

So in summary, auron2, there's no easy way for you to raise the elevation higher... that is, unless you know RMS. If not, maybe you can find and use a pre-made template from somewhere.

Well, good luck.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com
posted 16 January 2004 03:36 PM EDT (US)     4 / 2500  
Hmmm Ive got a question-
Ive downloaded quite a few lighting editors, and I make a light, save it -
My Documents\My Games\Age of Mythology\data
It doesnt show up anywhere when I click the light bulb, or as a set lighting trigger. I believe the .lgt are found in the data section so thats where I save them to. I know absolutely nothing about computers- just enough to turn it on and click the age of mythology icon . What am I doing wrong?
posted 16 January 2004 04:57 PM EDT (US)     5 / 2500  
then i'm screwed. i dont know nothing about RMS. oh, i forgot to add this, the scneario that i opened was one of the 32 scenarios of the campaign fall of the trident on the editor. and i tryied to copy the high elevation. but didnt work. so is it possible to copy that high elevation on the editor without having to do any RMS?

posted 16 January 2004 05:02 PM EDT (US)     6 / 2500  
Oh, i posted a new topic about my question before i noticed this thread.

My question is how to make it so i can alter AI difficulty in a scenario...right now when i try to play it via directip with a friend i can't alter the AI difficulty...so they are very easy

posted 16 January 2004 05:41 PM EDT (US)     7 / 2500  
Ignore last post, it has been answered
posted 19 January 2004 01:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 2500  
Lightsout, which lighting editor did you use? The one I use is Vachu's, and the program has a little open field at the top, above the color settings. I believe you have to put a name of some type in that space... that will define what the lighting is called in the dropdown list. Then, once you've adjusted the colors and what not, save it and put the LGT file into the "Age of Mythology\data" folder. I think the key thing is that you have to define a name for it to show up. Other than that, I'm not sure what you could be doing wrong.

auron2, I don't think you can copy the high terrain. What I meant was simply to save the scenario as something else and try to edit around the existing high terrain, or to try and learn RMS.

DrWookie, I'm glad someone answered your question, because, frankly, AIs scare me. The only thing I might suggest is to implement the "Difficulty" condition with some triggers, perhaps giving the other player some bonuses. I believe there are some difficulty options in the XS code, but I know precisely squat about such things.

And I can see this "Q&A Thread" format was a failure, so I'll just go back to answering individual posts.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 01-19-2004 @ 01:52 PM).]

posted 19 January 2004 04:57 PM EDT (US)     9 / 2500  
Okay King Jared, here is my humble question (before you go back to answering individual posts):

How do I put that mist down that is found on the Marsh RM?

Don't get discouraged that there are not too many posters. There are not that many of us scenario and campaign designers but we do appreciate your offer to help. Plus many of us like to experiement, and ask questions here as a last resort. Anyway, I always appreciated people taking the time to answer my questions.

[This message has been edited by tbarak (edited 01-19-2004 @ 04:57 PM).]

posted 19 January 2004 05:46 PM EDT (US)     10 / 2500  
Thanks anyway King Jared but I just downloaded Reyks new editor which has a good lighting editor built in and works fine for me now. The light editor i was using was lightit. Lightings not a problem anymore but thanks!

Look for me on ESO-

Lightsout Unrated name, 1600

Gogos_Mace Rated name, 1650ish
posted 19 January 2004 07:57 PM EDT (US)     11 / 2500  
When I set a cinematic to the hero unit theocrat, I used:

Trigger>Active-No Loop-No Run Inmediately
Condition>Timer-Seconds 26
Effect>Set Animation- theo_aomsp04omens

...so far it works fine, but then I put another trigger...

Trigger>Active-No Loop-No Run Inmediately
Condition>Timer-Seconds 32
Effect>Set Animation-Default

so I make the theocrat make an animation at 26 secs, then I want to put him to walk so I disable the previous animation and put the default, so that when he walks in the cinematic he wont be sliding, but this dont work.

Also,in the Set Animation trigger which has a button "Source Unit" I press it then I press the "Show Unit" and it wont go to where the unit is, same is with the move to point, and move to unit triggers. The only solution I found to this glitch was to delete the unit,create a new one, keep it selected it, then press the "source unit" and that way will work, but if i do it this time, im gonna have to set up a whole bunch of triggers all over again.

posted 19 January 2004 08:03 PM EDT (US)     12 / 2500  
How can you set random TC's on a map. Like if I want player 2's TC to be in a random settlement when you begin the game. I think its a trigger but which one?

Top 15 RAF Ladder: [RoR]Acamas
"Macs are the computing equivalent of a dumb blond. " - Silk
Formally known as Acamas, Acamas_Samaca and Hero_Acamas
If you are interested in the [RoR] clan visit our website
posted 20 January 2004 01:23 PM EDT (US)     13 / 2500  
I've not looked at the Marsh RM, tbarak. But I'd assume you're either looking for one of the "Mist" units (there's two of them, one basic mist and one for Olympus, I believe... personally, I don't see the difference between the two... I think one might be smaller) OR, perhaps the "Pestilence SFX". There are two of these, as well. They're not actually mist, more green smoke with flies. I'll also mention that "mist" (and possibly "Pestilence SFX") only show up in high graphics, so if you're in low graphics you simply won't see it. If that's still not what you want, perhaps you could elaborate as to it's appearance? I should also point out, for the record, that I wasn't actually disappointed (or what have you) with the lack of success this thread had... it was simply an experiment, and not all experiments are successful. It's only purpose was to make things more convenient for me.

Now, PuzzledMega, have you got the animation Loop set to ON? If so, then whatever animation you used will continue to loop until you disable that trigger or loop another animation over top. If you want to make him have his walking animation loop, replacing the previous, look at the unit's animation with the new editor's viewer. Then put another looped animation with whatever Theocrat's cinematic walking animation is, and move the unit in the same trigger. However, if it's not looped, then you may simply not be waiting long enough. The animation has to completely finish before you can move the unit... the unit should automatically go back to it's idle animation once the animation you set is complete. Then you can move the unit without it sliding. Again, look at the animation with the new editor's viewer. It will give you the exact runtime of the animation. Then, add the "Fire Event" effect to your animation trigger to activate another trigger (the one that moves the unit), with the precise (a little bit more is best...) runtime of the animation as the condition. Did you get all that? It was kind of confusing, so let me know if you need something clarified.

And I apologize, Athen, but I know slim to nil about RMS, and I think that question just about falls into that category. I've personally never heard of such an effect, but there may well be one. If not, then it's probably defined in the RM script code... if there is code... I don't know.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 01-20-2004 @ 01:28 PM).]

posted 20 January 2004 01:43 PM EDT (US)     14 / 2500  
@ PuzzledMega: Type "IdleA" in the set animation effect instead of "default".
@ Athen: If you have the Titans, randomize a QV and define a different location of the TC for each possible QV.

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 01-20-2004 @ 01:46 PM).]

posted 20 January 2004 02:01 PM EDT (US)     15 / 2500  
Nice idea: use QV values as vector values... Where is my typetest file...

A condition is not a trigger.
An effect is not a trigger.
A trigger is a combination of one or more conditions and effects.
It causes effects to happen if and when conditions are met.
Period.
posted 20 January 2004 02:06 PM EDT (US)     16 / 2500  
Well I actually ment a trigger with QV check -> unit create (or change, that's better) or so...
Make as much triggers like that as the range of the randomized QV is.
posted 20 January 2004 03:21 PM EDT (US)     17 / 2500  
No Jared, I am not referring to the pestilence cloud. As you described it, that cloud is green, and almost looks like locus swarm.

The mist I am talking about is on the Marsh map, it is white, low-lying to the ground and looks like mist. I like the effect and wanted to add it to my scenarios but can't seem to find it on the unit, embellishment, nature, etc place unit tool.

posted 20 January 2004 03:28 PM EDT (US)     18 / 2500  
dont look on the categories Embellesiment,Buildings, or nature. look on the category ALL.

when you look at this category, you can find the unit sentinel. but when you look at category Units, sentinel is not there. also, I think the effect you are looking for is called Mist and this cloud effect looks in different colors depending on the color of the ground and the lighting that is being used. not sure. King_Jared will sure give you more details. sorry if i answered anything.

[This message has been edited by auron 2 (edited 01-20-2004 @ 03:30 PM).]

posted 20 January 2004 03:33 PM EDT (US)     19 / 2500  
i have a question
i made a new scenario and i play it online then i play it for about 2 min and it goes out and a error report comes up
posted 20 January 2004 07:22 PM EDT (US)     20 / 2500  
thanx Aomplayer000 and king jared, it works now
posted 20 January 2004 08:17 PM EDT (US)     21 / 2500  
@SorcerorOfErebus: that error report(Out of Sync) happens with all computers, it is a problem with ESO that happens every once and a while, some maps more than others but it still happens. there is no way to fix it as it is a problem with ESO. (Stuipid ESO, I want ESGZ ;-)[Ensemble Studios Gaming Zone])

Need Help? E-mail Me!
Completed Projects: Diety Battle II
Projects in Development:
Supreme Deity I 34% Complete

[This message has been edited by Mastermike707 (edited 01-20-2004 @ 08:18 PM).]

posted 20 January 2004 09:43 PM EDT (US)     22 / 2500  
In TOSs origional post about the XS user effects and junk, he used ((MyGlobal%2)==0) as an effect. What does the %2 do? Note that the name of the variable was "MyGlobal".

"War does not determine who is right, only who is left." - Bertrand Russell
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
posted 21 January 2004 00:46 AM EDT (US)     23 / 2500  
Auron, you da man. Yup, player Gaia, all, mist. Woohoo! Simple as that. Perhaps King Jared will give you a job!
posted 21 January 2004 03:00 AM EDT (US)     24 / 2500  
Newb question:

In the FAQ for scenario it says:

"Q: How do I setup the players?
A: Under the Players menu, click the Setup Players tab. This'll let you set how many players are on your map, their starting age, color, and resources."

Where do I find this in the Titans Editor? Player Stats under scenario lets me stipulate color and resources, but says nothing about starting age.

posted 21 January 2004 08:42 AM EDT (US)     25 / 2500  
This is propably wrong, you can't define the starting age in this menue. Use triggers instead (set tech status).

It hasn't even been so in AoM without Titans...

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 01-21-2004 @ 09:28 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a question? Post it here!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames