Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Copyrights of an scenario
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 03 February 2004 11:49 PM EDT (US)   
I'm just bringing this up because i'm sick tired of people editing, and taking credit for something they never did. for instance, on my scenario hyrule, about 2 people have edited my scenario to change it and make it different. not only that, i just saw another person hosting an hyrule which i hadnt even made. and i had no idea if he gave me credit or not.

and i just found out about a person nicknamed LOTR_Master, who usually tells me to host my hyrule-nomad scx, who now thinks he decerves credit for the scenario which he never helped me with triggers, map design, nor play-testing. and i have talked previously about a person named "socks" or Phoenix_masonius which a few months ago was calling himself the creator of one of all my versions hyrule including the first and original one 1.1. i'm really sick and tired of people editing and trying to get credit for something they never did or created from my hyrule scenario which i have been improving.

I appreciate that people at least give me credit for the map design and triggers from the scenario that was modified. but wouldnt be more original to start your own scenario from scratch?

Is there anyway to make some sort of Lock which doesnt allow people to edit your own scenario? and it would be really annoying to just put your name all over the scenario so people can know that I actually did the scenario.

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||

[This message has been edited by auron 2 (edited 02-03-2004 @ 11:59 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04 February 2004 08:47 AM EDT (US)     1 / 42  
not @ all, maybe making the scn readonly (through right clicking it then properties) but i think they can undo that and then just click (in aomtt) save as

also if u read the AI, and RM help docs it said that microsoft, (ithink) owns the scenarios, and take no liability etc. etc. so u can't (c) it, already done Auron

one way might be to have all these tree on the map, with terrain text saying "Auron2" they will disable triggers like messages and text ans cins but that they wont find, and have it timed for twenty minutes into the game so they will likely not find it :P hope anyof this helps u Auron

i was right about the (C) look below

[This message has been edited by ArcticWind7 (edited 02-04-2004 @ 09:09 AM).]

posted 04 February 2004 09:05 AM EDT (US)     2 / 42  
There's no way to copyright it, anything you make with the game is owned by Microsoft.

It really sucks when people try to steal a map, and unfortunately it's so easy to do. I guess you can do things to confuse them like move all the triggers to a different trigger group and hope they don't know how to change groups, or give the triggers really random names when you want to release the scenario (just Save As), but there's no way to be sure nobody will copy it.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
posted 04 February 2004 09:18 AM EDT (US)     3 / 42  
Can't one "destroy" triggers with AoMED? I've heard about that; one will only be able to play the scn, but not to edit it. But I think it isn't able to to that with the new scx files.

BTW, is there a new version which can read and save the scx files?

posted 04 February 2004 09:25 AM EDT (US)     4 / 42  
what is this aomed, and where do i get it?

wow 4 post in an hour

[This message has been edited by ArcticWind7 (edited 02-04-2004 @ 09:30 AM).]

posted 04 February 2004 09:32 AM EDT (US)     5 / 42  
Never heard of it? I'm not too sure if it's in AOMH's download centre, but go ahead and look for it...

As mentoined above, I don't know if it really does it but I presume it. It won't work with scx though.

AoMED is a file converter, quite handy.
For example: bmp -> ddt

It also splits up scn in parts, and with a certain command you can fix them together again and make the triggers uneditable.

BUT: I've never done that and I'm not really sure!

posted 04 February 2004 10:36 AM EDT (US)     6 / 42  
Ykkrosh needs to update AOMeD so we can make .scx files uneditable. If you haven't noticed or looked in advanced setup in ESO all of the Deity games are different versions of hte same scenerio. people (mostly noobs) create 3 units and then change the trigger that shows who made it.
I hate that. RMS scripters are lucky hardly anyone ever steals their work because it is more complicated to make and edit a RMS script than it is to make a (bad/cheesy/thrown together at the last minute) scenerio

Need Help? E-mail Me!
Completed Projects: Diety Battle II
Projects in Development:
Supreme Deity I 34% Complete
posted 04 February 2004 10:42 AM EDT (US)     7 / 42  
You should mess with your triggers. When you're finished change the names of the triggers into trigger01 and trigger02 and so on, and put them in one group, if they want to change something they first have to find the trigger.
Also put in your readme file that you don't want it to be edited by anyone, this doesn't stop all the people, but some people will listen to it. (atleast I will)

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 04 February 2004 10:53 AM EDT (US)     8 / 42  
I wonder if there are people who copy campaigns, too? Or is that just a matter of single(or multi)player scenarios?
posted 04 February 2004 02:48 PM EDT (US)     9 / 42  
i already know that you cant make a copyright for an scenario since all scenarios made by the editor belong to microsoft. so i cant really make a copyright within a copyright. that would be like stealing credit to microsoft. but i was just asking if there was a way to not allow people do edit your scenario

or i guess the only way is to put my name all over the scenario, confuse people with the triggers names. and make a read me telling people not to edited which i already did.

[This message has been edited by auron 2 (edited 02-04-2004 @ 03:21 PM).]

posted 04 February 2004 03:44 PM EDT (US)     10 / 42  
That really sucks Auron.

The good news is that I think enough people in the community know you and your work that in a sense I guess being ripped off is the ultimate compliment. If I was to DL a campaign or scenario that I found was an unauthorized copy of someone else's work, I would let the thief have it through flames in their DL thread. A couple of other remedial efforts could be to bring it up to the staff at Heaven and they could ban or remove if from the DL section- a warning could also be issued via email from staff. Additionaly, I wonder if there is anyway to install DL files in one's game like the ES scenarios, so they are harder to get at once installed?

IMO MicroSoft not granting some form of limited copyright to authors of campaigns and scenarios is just plain greedy. I hardly think some person who designs is going to flood the market with illegal CDs of campaigns and put a dent in the billions of dollars of revenue that MS makes each year. A limited copyright wouldn't stop all people, but it may deter them.

posted 04 February 2004 05:47 PM EDT (US)     11 / 42  
The only problem with that is that not everyone belongs to heavengames and the game is distrubuted over ESO.

Possible solutions:
~Ykkrosh needs to update AOMeD so we can make .scx files uneditable.
~Find out a way to make scenerios read only like the ones in the AOM and AOMTT campaign.
~Someone creates a program that makes scenerios playable but uneditable.

Need Help? E-mail Me!
Completed Projects: Diety Battle II
Projects in Development:
Supreme Deity I 34% Complete
posted 04 February 2004 11:28 PM EDT (US)     12 / 42  
thats the problem because i have hosted my scenario a few times on ESO. and when people downloaded directly from me, the file will not contain the read me which mentions people not to edit my scenario. so i guess i'm gonna have to tell people not to edit my scenario before playing it when i host online.

[This message has been edited by auron 2 (edited 02-04-2004 @ 11:30 PM).]

posted 04 February 2004 11:31 PM EDT (US)     13 / 42  
use XS, but i'm not the person to ask how.
posted 04 February 2004 11:37 PM EDT (US)     14 / 42  
XS?

posted 04 February 2004 11:40 PM EDT (US)     15 / 42  
I've seen LOTR_Master before!! He host a lot of LOTR games. I have also stolen a map, well not stolen but somehow Kyle Leach accidentally transfered his map from ESO to my computer file! I did not download it from AOMH, but it somehow got onto my scenerio files. I looked at his map in amazment without a care about who and where it came from I have the same map that he showed in the eye candy thread. I got some of my idea's from that map. But dont worry, I didint edit it and post it for everyone to download like what some people do I dont have it anymore because I accidentally deleted all my saved files

Top 15 RAF Ladder: [RoR]Acamas
"Macs are the computing equivalent of a dumb blond. " - Silk
Formally known as Acamas, Acamas_Samaca and Hero_Acamas
If you are interested in the [RoR] clan visit our website
posted 04 February 2004 11:47 PM EDT (US)     16 / 42  
LOTR_Master seemed a cool person. but then, i found out that he got mad because i didnt give him credit for my scenario which he never helped me make!!

and was the scenario you downloaded mine?

posted 05 February 2004 06:37 AM EDT (US)     17 / 42  
Does Microsoft really 'own' the scenarios I created? Seems a little strange to me - after all, they don't own any documents I wrote using MS Word either. I know that I am not allowed to sell my scenarios, but I would assume that they still remain my 'intellectual property' (not sure if this is the correct term in english).

By the way, ES seems to be quite relaxed about this matter. When I asked Archangel for permission to use a map from the original campaign as a basis for the upcoming fourth part of my Circe saga his only reaction was 'don't see why not'.

posted 05 February 2004 08:09 AM EDT (US)     18 / 42  
Another solution:
Why don't we just get our campaigns etc. in *.BAR archives, like ES' campaign (one could open it with the bar extractor, but there are few people who do that)?
Does anyone have a program to do that?
posted 06 February 2004 11:17 AM EDT (US)     19 / 42  
Hey Auron: I think there's a program that you can download which "scrambles" triggers making it IMPOSSIBLE to edit the triggers (they turn into something like a code). I heard people talking about it and using it...
posted 06 February 2004 01:15 PM EDT (US)     20 / 42  
That's what we discussed recently. This program is called AoMED. Read the other posts first...
posted 06 February 2004 02:46 PM EDT (US)     21 / 42  
how do i get this program "AomeD"?

posted 06 February 2004 03:12 PM EDT (US)     22 / 42  
Look in the DL centre or search it in the web. But it'll only work with scn files, not scx.
posted 06 February 2004 03:31 PM EDT (US)     23 / 42  
NO!!!!!!!!!!! my hyrule nomad scenario is made by the titans editor!

posted 06 February 2004 03:51 PM EDT (US)     24 / 42  
Bushido!!!!!!!!!

Arkantos Khan
Projects:
+ The Odyssey (AoM)
+ Conan, the Barbarian (AoMX)
posted 06 February 2004 04:03 PM EDT (US)     25 / 42  
what the hell is bushido?

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Copyrights of an scenario