You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The complete guide on making elevation higher/lower than normal!
posted 13 May 2006 12:08 PM EDT (US)   

As some of you want to know how to make high elevation or low elevation past the normal point.

I myself will put together some guides step by step on how to make higher/lower elevation!

Using random map scripting for extreme elevaion
I myself am no random map scripter but I have suceeded in making lower than normal elevation by using the higher than normal templates - see link below
It is possible to use random map scripts to create higher than normal elevation. I will be posting some lower than normal templates but for templates higher than normal, click this link:

http://www.geocities.com/hyenastudios/index.htm

I have now also uploaded some lower than normal templates for you to use also here:

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=5208

Load up the random map script in the editor and work from there. You cannot adjust the elevation or it will "jump" to normal elevation.

Creating extreme elevation without random maps
It is possible to create extreme elevation without the use of random maps. This way requires REYKS editor for this to work! I have only found it to work on expansion due for 2 reasons. Tremor works best but that is expansion. Earthquake works too but only really with god ower blocking on off. You could use earthquake on none expansion without god power blocking on off but it will take longer to work. Tremor works best!

Method for tremor:
place a gaia revealer on your map and make sure that you won't get defeated halfway through playtesting. e.g. you could turn victory conditions off. put a trigger on loop to tremor the place with the revealer by making gaia cast tremor. No need to grant tremor to gaia. Playtest the game and then save the game. e.g. quicksave using the shortcut key f8. Now go back into the editor and load your saved game. Find the place with the revealer and place a unit that CAN be tremored onto spot. The land with foul up and bits of it will go lower than ground level and other bits will go miles above the normal ground level. Keep doing it untill it gets as high as you want it then read the section called: "shaping the extreme elevation using the water tool"

Method for earthquake:
Simular method for tremor. Turn god power blocking on off and make earthquake invoke on loop on a spot. Load the saved game in editor and the ground will continue to rise in editor. When you want it to stop, delete the earthquake invoke trigger and playtest again. Just then simply return to the editor.

Shaping extreme elevation using the water tool
Once you have your extreme elevation, you still face a problem - how do you shape the land while keeping the extreme elevation? I myself have recently found out a way to solve this problem! Open your water tool. Now go to the box labled "paint land" and click it so that there is a cross in it. Paint some water ontop of the hill - fill the entire top of the hill. Now put some at the bottom of the hill. (right the way round the bottom of hill) Now make the brush bigger so it coveres the entire top of the hill and the water at the bottom. Hold alt and move your mousewheel, of hold ctrl and drag so it creates the huge brush. Position your brush ontop of the hill so that it covers all the hill and the river round the hill at the bottom and click. It will smoothen your hill AND drain some of the water ontop of your hill. Keep clicking untill your satisfied with what you have got. Now you can simply remove the water at the bottom of the hill by raising the land the normal way and smoothen it. Use that to create the hill at the top like so. There are other ways of using the water tool to create valleys using it too. If you practis, you will be able to get rid of any water. Practis will also allow you to create valleys without any water appearing in the first place!

The forest tool may not work properly on the hills you have shaped using the water tool, but it will allow you to place seaweed or other water objects in those places, even if you cannot see any water!

Notes on extreme elevation
Do not place buildings on the high elevation! It will muck it up! Same with using hekas, they will destroy the elevation. This means you can really have it on maps you can build on unless that area is unbuildable. You can make your own water types and use those to help you. I have made the shallowest water type that it will let you for the job and also one that is extremely deep. Any units that "fall" down these steep hills will delete themselves! Very useful for deep pits that are not circular, etc. Only works if you fall in! You can still walk down the hill though!

FAQ
Can you use hekas to create this high elevation?
no, hekas do not ignore the terrain height limit so they will not work.

Are there any god powers other than tremor and earthquake that work?
Not that I know of

Can you also create really high water too?
Yes, it is possible but I will not explain it here! Anyway, what is the use of it?

Can you use random map scripting trick for non expansion?
Yes, it is complete possible so no worry for non expansion folks!

Water thing won't work, it jumps to normal height!
Make sure that the paint land box is ticked!

When making my own shallow water type, why wont it pain at all?
The lowest depth that seems to work for water is 0.5 metres.

My hill using the tremor/earthquake trick is all jagged!
Try using the shaping water trick to smoothen it out!

The cliff stuff on the side of the map is all wierd!
playtest the map the go back into the editor.

I would like to give credit to M0ntly Python and Auron_ because I editted their extreme land height templates to create minus land height ones! I cannot random map script myself, only edit them!.

Please comment on this guide and ask me any questions on it. Also, post screenshots with your uses on or post me extra guides to go with it! The more information we have on it, the better!

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 05-14-2006 @ 02:31 AM).]

Replies:
posted 13 May 2006 12:31 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
Well, this explains the whole process better. Nice work, nottud.

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 13 May 2006 12:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
Another great guide

posted 13 May 2006 12:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
i finally understand it. thank yo.

(¯`·._.·[DEATHMAN RTS NL]·._.·´¯)

check out the demo of Ghost ahoy 4.4
posted 13 May 2006 03:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9  
Cool guide! It needs to be listed

MEPH
[Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
posted 13 May 2006 03:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
I have had it listed.

posted 13 May 2006 09:25 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9  
We havn't added any guides to the site in a long time. I'll see if I can add this.

EDIT: here

Please email me any updates.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.

[This message has been edited by Papaya (edited 05-13-2006 @ 10:09 PM).]

posted 17 May 2006 04:14 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
*claps*

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 30 June 2006 03:57 AM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
which unit can be tremored???

EDIT: NEVERMIND I AM SUCH AN IDIOT LOL sry for the inconveinence.....

JerztheBearz in AIM, Shark_M0n_7 in AOMTT(internet), and more.

[This message has been edited by Shark_M0n_9 (edited 06-30-2006 @ 04:18 AM).]

posted 02 July 2006 03:17 AM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
Most of the non hero units can be tremored.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » The complete guide on making elevation higher/lower than normal!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames