You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to take a screenshot
posted 23 November 2007 05:28 PM EDT (US)   

How to take a screenshot

My God. Even the greatest designers here do not know how to take a screenshot properly. I can show you how to turn this:
[JPEG, (236.31 KB)]

into this:
[JPEG, (225.21 KB)]
So let's begin this useful hint.

In the editor

To take a screenshot in the editor, go to "file" and select "screenshot". Then a window will appear. Change the settings on this window so it looks like this:

Press "Shoot". You're done. The file is found in:

My Documents\My Games\Age of Mythology\Screenshots\

In game

Note: You will need the new editor fir this. The new editor works for both Age of Mythology and it's expansion pack.

To take a screenshot in game, go to the "M" button at the bottom right of the screen as seen bellow:

Then click on all the boxes so that they look like this:

Now press the button with the arrow pointing upwards. Then press the "S" button. You're done. The file is found in:

My Documents\My Games\Age of Mythology\Screenshots\

MEPH
[Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor

[This message has been edited by Mephiles (edited 11-24-2007 @ 03:23 PM).]

Replies:
posted 23 November 2007 05:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 26  
Awsome! This is what I have been waiting for... only...
it's kinda blank.

(Feel free to check out one of my games; Fort Azgul, "http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=6984".

Proud member of PURPLE DESIGN STUDIOS!
posted 23 November 2007 06:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
Under Construction.
Are you in the process of making screenies to fit the thread?

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø ELDER ULSFARK ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°

Elder Ulsfarks are powerful, ancient and mystical beings...Even if their name isn't spelled correctly.

Proud member of the AOM: Eragon Project
posted 23 November 2007 07:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
Was it necessary to post this before finishing?

posted 23 November 2007 07:15 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
Maybe he was eager to, idk.

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø ELDER ULSFARK ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°

Elder Ulsfarks are powerful, ancient and mystical beings...Even if their name isn't spelled correctly.

Proud member of the AOM: Eragon Project
posted 23 November 2007 08:10 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
No offense, but aren't there like 3 or 4 guides for this already?
posted 23 November 2007 08:30 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26  
Yeah, kind of pointless to post this before even started.

I never asked for this.
posted 23 November 2007 08:55 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26  
Great guide!

I especially like the part where you

and

,but have you considered adding

?

UnderConstruction.
posted 23 November 2007 09:47 PM EDT (US)     8 / 26  
Lol, looks like a mistake post. Like he meant to hit preview or something.
posted 23 November 2007 11:22 PM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
Yes this does seem rather pointless as we have an explanation in the CSC and the question thread is always there.

I usually construct mine using preview first and then save in notepad, posting wasnt really needed. I'll just see what you have to say on MSN before it gets closed.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 24 November 2007 04:30 AM EDT (US)     10 / 26  
No. That is not how you make a screenshot. Now that I have time, I'm going to start the guide now.

EDIT: Done

MEPH

[This message has been edited by Mephiles (edited 11-24-2007 @ 05:45 AM).]

posted 24 November 2007 05:47 AM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
Nothing amazing, but pretty useful

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
No matter what you say
posted 24 November 2007 05:52 AM EDT (US)     12 / 26  
You should add how to remove the minimap and buttons and then do a printscreen one.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
posted 24 November 2007 05:53 AM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
I'm against print screen ones. But to do that, you can loop a trigger with cinematic mode on

MEPH

posted 24 November 2007 06:11 AM EDT (US)     14 / 26  
I sometimes get rid of the interface and then print screen. So all you see is the creenshot and nothing else.

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 11-24-2007 @ 06:27 AM).]

posted 24 November 2007 06:13 AM EDT (US)     15 / 26  
^^

Thats what I meant.

And just because you are against print screen ones, doesn't mean nobody should know about them.

posted 24 November 2007 08:30 AM EDT (US)     16 / 26  
I think the reason that Mephiles put that out so quick was that Zorkax (who said thanks above) wanted to know how to submit a screenshot so that he could compete in this competition, which he has.
Thanks, Mephiles for doing this. I am ashamed that I said I would do this and here you are doing it instead. Can I help with the guide? I was going to make a simple guide to take one picture in the scenario after initializing and then a more complicated one like I usually use where it automatically takes 25 pictures over time to catch your animations in the best pose. I thought even offering a scx/scn file people could use to start their screenshots that had the triggers already in it. If the guide is to be thorough, the printscreen method should be included as well. Let me know...

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
posted 24 November 2007 11:39 AM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
Is that thing you showed for taking screenshots ingame a feature of TT only? I've never seen those buttons.

I had no idea about the first one; I always take my screenshots using a trigger in cinematic mode.

That's cool to know, but taking screenshots in the editor means no triggers for special effects.

Elrich, when I need to coordinate a whole bunch of effects and movements in my scenario, I use a trigger to Pause Game instead of take screenshot, and I playtest it, and see where everything is when it's paused. Then I adjust the timers on each trigger and try again until I get everything mostly lined up. When I'm ready to take the screenshot, I add the triggers for entering and exiting cinematic mode, and change Pause Game to SCREENSHOT.
And if that still doesn't work, I make it take 10 screenshots over the course of a second and usually one of them will be what I'm looking for.

[This message has been edited by HailToTheOboe (edited 11-24-2007 @ 02:30 PM).]

posted 24 November 2007 12:18 PM EDT (US)     18 / 26  
Good guide, I never knew how to do this...

-Ironclaw77

I R O N C L A W 7 7
Everything that shines ain't always
gonna be gold.
posted 24 November 2007 03:16 PM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
@Elrich
Sounds great! Email it to me and I'll add it!

@HailToTheOboe
Sorry, I forgot to mention you need the new editor.

MEPH

posted 24 November 2007 03:29 PM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
Can't you just press Ctrl+ F12?

<3
posted 24 November 2007 04:39 PM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
Mephiles, what's your email address?

Yeah, NanoDude, ctrl-F12 takes a snapshot (though I think keypresses can be overriden).

Hail, it sounds like you could add some good techniques to the guide, especially since you are still Vanilla. Maybe, Mephiles will let you contribute as well.

posted 25 November 2007 02:32 PM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
Control f12 doesn't work Cinematic mode IIRC.

I never asked for this.
posted 25 November 2007 03:02 PM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
No, for that you'll have to use the SCREENSHOT effect (from the SNT/SNXT etc.), or press Print Screen before pasting into an image editing program.

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 25 November 2007 04:32 PM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
@ Elrich
mephiles@live.co.uk (yes, I OMFG LOVE!!!!!! spam. Well... I actually like reporting it to Microsoft, therefor pwning it.)

MEPH

posted 29 November 2007 12:27 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
Thanks for the email address. I haven't forgotten, but this week I have something extra every night after work.
What I am working on is a very detailed (for noobs) description of how to set the camera view, make a camera track (my preferred method), set up initial map settings (rendersky, lighting, etc..) and animations using triggers and finally running the screenshot effect either as a single picture or several over time. When I'm done, I will send it to you in tested bb code and you can decide how you want to integrate it to the main post. So far I have carefully written the setting the camera angle part and some of the camera track section..

posted 29 November 2007 02:17 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
Great I'll call it the "Advanced" section.

MEPH

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » How to take a screenshot
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames