You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Capture the Flag!
posted 09 December 2007 08:42 PM EDT (US)   
The CRC clan is proud to announce its plans to design a "Capture the Flag" scenario. We ask the AOMH community for any input regarding gameplay. Tell us what you want to see, but remember to be specific!

To get a feel for our designing style try downloading crc~colosseum! Don't forget to leave a review and, as always, thanks for the support.

PROGRESS:

Mapwork: 90%
Triggers: 40%

UPDATES:

December 9, 2007

After many long months the mapwork is nearly complete. I still have quite a way to go yet with the triggers, but in the meantime I'm open to any feedback. Here's a picture of the whole map as it appears in the editor:

March 23, 2008

This is a bigger project than I originally imagined and it has been taking me longer than expected. Unfortunately, I've only recently gotten time to work on it again, but a beta version may be coming shortly.

sweetname (a.k.a. CRC_zsrjegfuie)

Design Team: CRC Design
Completed Projects: crc~colosseum

[This message has been edited by sweetname (edited 03-23-2008 @ 09:38 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09 December 2007 09:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 27  
Aka Paperfriend worshipper.

I never asked for this.
posted 09 December 2007 09:15 PM EDT (US)     2 / 27  
Indeed.

posted 10 December 2007 10:53 AM EDT (US)     3 / 27  
Looks great and all, a nice and better spin off of the original CTF game. However the eyecandy critics will say that the balck looks ugly and to use more terrain. However Im more bothered with the triggers .

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 10 December 2007 12:28 PM EDT (US)     4 / 27  
No matter what the eyecandy critics say... The whole scenario is a work of art of its own.

posted 10 December 2007 02:29 PM EDT (US)     5 / 27  
I think eyecandy is really irrelevant in this case. Havn't played any capture-the-flag maps in AoM, but I think this may be the first one. Anyways, looking good. Gooooooood.

Please note that while you are reading this text you should have thought about the fact that the end of the world is going on outside.

Homepage

posted 10 December 2007 02:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 27  
^ Just like me in the old days .

I agree that eyecandy is nothing compared tot riggers but its still important, however it can create lag. Its your map, do it your way.

The best advise I can give is to add variety, maybe a power that flares a players flag?

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
posted 10 December 2007 02:45 PM EDT (US)     7 / 27  
Yo ho ho ho ho! Just by looking at that map, I can tell this'll be good. It's good that you don't have to mine gold.

MEPH
[Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
posted 10 December 2007 02:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 27  
Just like Yeebaagooon said, don't make a capture-the-lag.

Gotta love that joke. Heh.

I guess all those small areas scattered around the map works as some kind of strange portal areas, which you're teleported to at random... or something eh?

Please note that while you are reading this text you should have thought about the fact that the end of the world is going on outside.

Homepage

posted 10 December 2007 02:56 PM EDT (US)     9 / 27  
That would be interesting. Please make it better than the last one I played, which was crappy & in french.
posted 10 December 2007 03:27 PM EDT (US)     10 / 27  
Lol great joke . I cant wait for this.

posted 10 December 2007 03:52 PM EDT (US)     11 / 27  
Good to see you again

The map design looks interesting, I hope to play it soon

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
No matter what you say
posted 10 December 2007 05:46 PM EDT (US)     12 / 27  
It looks pretty cool.

When is it out?

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
posted 12 December 2007 02:30 AM EDT (US)     13 / 27  
I guess all those small areas scattered around the map works as some kind of strange portal areas, which you're teleported to at random... or something eh?
Yes, the small areas will only be accessible by teleportation. However, only a certain, limited number of units will be able to teleport. I will post in more detail soon what I have in mind for gameplay. In the meantime it is enough to know that the blue squares are "take-off" pads and the black squares are "landing" pads.
Please make it better than the last one I played, which was crappy & in french.
Yes, I believe I played that one once. Oh, and of course no gold mining! In this scenario you will have to fight over the plenty vaults for gold. Again, I'll post the details soon.
When is it out?
Unfortunately I'm facing finals right now so I won't have much time for designing. If I work on it over break I will probably be finished with it sometime in January or February of 2008.

posted 12 December 2007 11:03 AM EDT (US)     14 / 27  
That's a long time. Is the map really that complex?

MEPH

posted 12 December 2007 11:17 AM EDT (US)     15 / 27  
That's a long time. Is the map really that complex?
Well, yes and no. In terms of tedious triggerwork it is rather complex, especially the teleportation. I'm just allowing myself enough time to fully playtest the scenario and refine it before its release.

posted 12 December 2007 11:20 AM EDT (US)     16 / 27  
the map looks sweet to met
the teleportation is also a nice idea
and overall,i've never played a CTF in AoM so i am willing to play it =D
posted 12 December 2007 01:04 PM EDT (US)     17 / 27  
I used to play a board game called Wiz War. It is essentially a capture the flag game. Each player had a 5x5 board with walls and doors like a maze that you fit next to your opponent's board and in the center of each wizard's board were their two treasures. The point was to take any two opponent treasures to your home square. The rules were excellent:
  • you can only carry one treasure at a time
  • you could double your moves/turn or slow the other wizard's movement
  • you can attack the other wizard if on the same square but only for 3 points/turn (wizards had about 20 hp)
  • you can drop a thorn bush on a square that can be destroyed (it had about 15 hp) or you could walk thorugh it but take damage.
  • you could make an impassable wall that could be destroyed (20 hp)
  • you could swap positions with the other wizard.
  • You could lock a door forcing the opponent to go around unless they had a key (one time use and door relocked) or remove lock
  • you walked slower when you were carrying a treasure

I realize that was a board game, but I hope this gives you some ideas....

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
    Find the blood inside this stone
    Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
    I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
  • posted 12 December 2007 03:09 PM EDT (US)     18 / 27  
    Huh? Terrain variation and object placement? What's that for? ^_^

This map is designed so that terrain variation won't be needed. There are different design styles, and this one has a great map design just through its linear, thorough work. Eyecandy critics criticise when a "regular" map lacks terrain mixing.

But yes, this does sound good. Good luck with completing this.

Sweet baby maizes!
    posted 13 December 2007 11:11 PM EDT (US)     19 / 27  
    The point was to take any two opponent treasures to your home square.
    This is one component of the game that I still have not decided on. How do people want to see the game won? Should a player win once they have captured all the other flags, captured a certain number of flags for a certain period of time, or should a player score a point for every captured flag until someone reaches the number of points needed for victory? Any other ideas?

posted 20 January 2008 09:55 PM EDT (US)     20 / 27  
    The map wets my eyes.

ψ Sħøŵ mέ α saηέ mαη αηđ I wίlł curę ħίm før γøu ψ
    posted 21 January 2008 05:10 PM EDT (US)     21 / 27  
    So, how's progress going?

MEPH

posted 21 January 2008 07:19 PM EDT (US)     22 / 27  
    I've tried to make a CTF on countless occasions. Had some great ideas for game concepts and stuff. I never seem to finished multiplayer scenarios I start shame.

ROME: 78 BC | | | | | THE LOST RUINS
    Rome in your hands | Of Ancient Mesoamerica

AOMh Member since 2004
    posted 23 March 2008 04:57 PM EDT (US)     23 / 27  
    Thread brought back on author request.

Sweet baby maizes!
    posted 23 March 2008 07:18 PM EDT (US)     24 / 27  
    You beat me to it .

Glad to see this thread back .

posted 23 March 2008 09:47 PM EDT (US)     25 / 27  
    Nice map design!
    posted 23 March 2008 09:50 PM EDT (US)     26 / 27  
    Sorry for the lack of updates, but my schoolwork has been a bit overwhelming. Anyways, I've started work again and it's getting a lot closer to being able to be beta tested. At this point I've almost finished the triggers for purchasing units and god powers and leveling up. All that really remains is the teleportation triggers, but they're very tedious and so will take some time.

Again, I'm want feedback on how the gameplay should function. How do you want "winners" determined? Some suggestions have been: one wins when they have collected a certain number of flags (which continually reappear) or one wins when they have collected all of the flags simultaenously.

I'm thinking of making some other maps that are of similar design style to this capture-the-flag scenario, but with different gameplay. Some ideas I've had are a mythodea, a new version of my colosseum game, or a mini-game collection. Let me know what kind of scenario's (restricted to multi-player) you guys want to see!

posted 25 March 2008 06:24 PM EDT (US)     27 / 27  
    I think it should either be determined by time limit, or by number of captures... or... BOTH!

If a team captures the flag a total of [#] times then they win, or... after [time] the game is over and the team with the most scores wins!

..........(@_ "Keyboard unnatached, press F10 to continue or F8 to troubleshoot."
    ._..........)..\__________________________________
    (_)@8@8{}<______________Mator______________>
    .............)_/ "You are tempting fate."
    ............(@
    (¯`._.[Creator of Miniscule!]._.´¯)
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Capture the Flag!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames