You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoMH community map project: Organization thread - The Story will be The Black Throne
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 13  Next Page »
posted 28 March 2013 01:02 AM EDT (US)   

Working on now:

Develop the story so that we can create the layout of the map.

Create a logo/banner for our project

Send your custom/favorite triggers to Elrich (elrich(at)heavengames(dot)com) so they can be put into a single master trigger file. 
This is a scenario where any designer is welcome to contribute not only their ideas but also their scenario design skills. Using the skills of many designers we will hopefully be able to create a scenario that greater than what we could individually make.As time goes by different designers will take it in turn to complete parts of the scenario. The plot will also develop and new features will continue to be added until the scenario is finished.The more important decisions such as what will happening in the overarching plot will be decided with a vote. Conflicting ideas will also be resolved by voting. Would you like to help?If you want to edit the map please indicate so in a post below along with your skills so we know what you can do.If you would to help us with ideas with the plot or something else just post them below.
CompletionThread created, volunteers gathered, talents discovered, story chosen, list of systems created Ongoing things to doDiscovering talents of designers/accepting volunteersCreate a list of RPG 'systems' that are required

Set up conflict resolution in case of disagreements 
What is happening next?Develop the story so as to define the map layout and required triggers.Collect custom triggers from everyone, then review RPG systems to determine which to use and update as needed, then create instructions for designers

Create master task list and assign designers 
Genral Info:RPG systems to includeDay/Night cycle, time, inventory, looting items, parry/block system, special attacks. and quest log, Inventory system, music. Current Designers
scragins(trigger artist)
Khan/Milkman(trigger artist, AI scripter, mapdesigner, eyecandier)
Elrich(HTML Magician),leader,trigger
Nickonhawk(eyecandier)
Lewonas(trigger artist)
Barnack(eyecandier)
The Elva_Rokk(general designer)
BarnackFortress/eyecandy
Eurtoolcustom music
ORm0rniEyecandy/trigger
Necr0maNceR(eyecandier, cinematographer)
The StoryThe Black ThroneThe lands of Mytheria is ruled by a cruel king. The people have no food, live in the worst possible conditions imaginable, and are treated as scum by the king and his loyal servants. The people are divided in two groups: the weak ones who die of starvation, and the strong ones who will even fight over a mouthful of dry bread. This group is also divided in different groups: there are "The Red Bandits" who rob anyone they can, "The Patriots" who fight against the king, "The Brotherhood" who have secret hideouts all over Mytheria and who fight for the weak people, and the notorious "Shadow Guild" whofight against anyone they feel like fighting. All of them want the king dead for their own reasons and want to rule the lands themselves. But there can only be one king.Meanwhile, the king of the neighbouring kingdom "Stormpeaks" is preparing to invade Mytheria. Nobody knows that an even bigger danger is approaching from the north: the norse dragon Fafnir has awoken. It's a certainty that everything is going to be one big mess.You're a traveler who is unaware of the situation in Mytheria. Once you've crossed the Mytheria border you hear a man who's heading into your direction, screaming for help. He's being chased by two servants. This is where you have the choice to either help the man by killing the king's servants, or help the servants by catching the man. This choice will determine if you're helping the king or helping the people. 

[This message has been edited by Elrich (edited 05-22-2013 @ 08:23 PM).]

Replies:
posted 28 March 2013 09:18 AM EDT (US)     1 / 322  
That's kinda interesting, although I'm already planning to make a semi-community map. XD

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
posted 28 March 2013 11:51 AM EDT (US)     2 / 322  
You might be able to continue the last community map... but the idea had been abandoned so many times before.

We cannot rely on luck to be successful.
posted 29 March 2013 08:22 AM EDT (US)     3 / 322  
Sounds like fun. I'd do some sections like I did on that last one. I think we should set up a framework to guide a purpose for the map. Like perhaps making the map a long narrow rectangle and have it be a 'gauntlet' kind of map where the hero has to make it through section after section of battles to get to the end.

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
posted 29 March 2013 09:07 AM EDT (US)     4 / 322  
I like that idea. Perhaps we could include a storyline and it would be like a playable SST.

posted 30 March 2013 04:13 AM EDT (US)     5 / 322  
I do still have the minigames map if anyones interested, I won't have any time to continue it and barely anything was finished - but it could be finished, I just don't have the time to do a lead role now

Leader and Trigger Artist of Mythic Studios
I need players for my Peloponnesian War RPG (Its Semi-Historical)
Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
posted 31 March 2013 02:55 PM EDT (US)     6 / 322  
I can make it(if anyone wants)!
Huge world with lots of people to talk to and some small quests, I can't come up with a storyline with the forum activity being so lacky.
If you don't want to appear as a random unit, you need to be represented by a unit in some scenarion in the downloads, or at least in your avatar

Youtube Channel
Skyrim... the greatest game ever... without considering Age of Mythology, of course!
Ctrl...Alt...Q...
and Brisingr-know these three things and your task here is accomplished...
posted 31 March 2013 04:12 PM EDT (US)     7 / 322  
I have the eyecandied Pandora's Box scenario from eyecandy god Parsifal (search the forum).

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 01 April 2013 04:28 AM EDT (US)     8 / 322  
This is an awesome idea. Yes I actually think it would be more viable with a tight-knit community than with a larger more sporadic one.

Also the members that are left are all quite capable and developed in many aspects not just one. By this I mean that most do not know how to do trigger creation or trigger work or eyecandy; most know how to do all of those things by themselves. This would not only push up the quality of the finished project but also the speed of which it is created.

My only worry would be the structure of a proposed community scenario. And that is: there needs to be one. Because the designers left are all quite established there could be various times where everyone involved wants to take the scenario a different direction. This would need to be addressed beforehand. The story must be more or less set in stone so that customization can be added around the main story frame work. I guess there should also be a fail-safe/plan for if someone can't do their section in time/never contributes.

Anyway to answer the questions posed:
1. Read above
2. Yes most definitely possible.
3. Most likely an RPG where or not it is free-roam is a up for discussion. RPG's are actually easier than small-group focused maps and have more customization and options than B&D scenarios. Plus they can have the most re-playability if created the right way.
4. With all of the following: Map design/eyecandy, trigger creation/triggerwork, (small) AI creation; similar size to the AI from Payday, can also do any html, php, js scripting and website hosting should the project ever need it's own website (which is actually very neat and helps with file version control and easy uploading/downloading for those members involved).

Would be good but the leader would need to invest some significant time to make sure that everything worked well/smoothly. Nice idea though ~ Khan

<||=================================||>
Proud Member of Forgotten Empires
96Reviews KaS Dota2 Halo 5 Reach
{ "Work until your idols become your rivals" }
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ trGetUnitScenarioName(); ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

[This message has been edited by Steak And Khan (edited 04-01-2013 @ 04:29 AM).]

posted 01 April 2013 08:20 PM EDT (US)     9 / 322  
Alright then. This thing is a go...

I will take charge and here is what I think needs to be done. Let's use this thread to plan the process of making this happen.

Here is my first suggestion on getting ourselves organized:

• open a thread to be the workspace for the project with the following tasks:
  • Discuss the framework/structure/starting point of the story.
  • Get a 'skill inventory' of participating members so we can assign people to tasks.
  • Based on the story, create an initial task list to get the project started.
  • discuss what initial systems should be built into the map like day/night cycle, time system,etc that future designers can work with in order to standardize the triggers and avoid duplication of work.
  • order the tasks and assign people to process those tasks.

What are your ideas on how to proceed?

• posted 01 April 2013 11:31 PM EDT (US)     10 / 322  
    Ooo I'm getting tingly already. While I admire your obliging nature Elrich I personally think that others should at least have the opportunity to request to be the leader of such a project. Specifically I am talking about Scragins here; he is the one that started this topic and by reading the OP it seems like he wanted to make one. I think it would be a bit covetous to jump in and deny that without at least discussing it. However I would note that his absence here may reflect on his ability to be leader; and should he decline or similar I think you would be a great project leader.

To answer your question though:
    I believe that your list adequately details the majority of the basic concepts that we should be thinking about. I might alter them to this order but it's more than acceptable as is.

1. Open a thread to be the workspace for the project with the following tasks:
    2. Get a 'skill inventory' of participating members so we can assign people to tasks.
    3. Discuss the framework/structure/starting point of the story.
    4. Based on the story, create an initial feel for the map (size, world setting etc) and task list to get the project started.
    5. Discuss what initial systems should be built into the map like day/night cycle, time system, which exp system etc that future designers can work with in order to standardize the triggers and avoid duplication of work.
    6. Order the tasks and assign people to process those tasks.

This is very exciting, I really hope that this comes to realisation ~ Khan

[This message has been edited by Steak And Khan (edited 04-01-2013 @ 11:32 PM).]

posted 02 April 2013 04:52 AM EDT (US)     11 / 322  
    I am fine with Elrich leading this especially since then I don't need to try to make a nice fancy looking showcase and keep it up to date. I probably could do this if Elrich ends up in a situation where he can't for some reason.

Like hades I also have a version of the minigames (maybe ver 7 or 9) map but With ESO down it would take a ridiculous amount of work to make an "AI" for a minigames map.

For the previous maps I remember that e-mail was used to transfer the map from person to person. This did work but I remember when it was not my turn I effectively lost all contact with the map. With fewer people there should be less waiting in-between turns which should reduce this problem.

For World Adventures (an earlier community map) I made the leveling system separately to the the rest of the map. The triggers would then be copied across to the actual map but I am unaware how how that would work, if any of us know how to copy triggers from when map to another I think we should do that as that would let more than 1 person to work on the map at a time.

As for ideas for this map I think an RPG would be good although I have no idea about the story. Although what should you control, 1 unit or a group of units? Also how do you control your unit(s) with hotkeys or the conventional way?
    posted 02 April 2013 08:54 AM EDT (US)     12 / 322  
    Horny!
    I didn't get who is actually making the map, butt anyways, here are my ideas:
    An RPG is fine, I think.
    Conventional moving, but with some cool effects, like all the movetos transformed to lampades blood
    One unit by default, more on special quests. Hotkeys are also for special quests. I also suggest ei nice logging in system. For example, if I type in "Nickonhawk", my unit will be an Ody named (oh my) Nickonhawk! And as I go, I will meet myself: another Ody!(which might say Hey! I think I know ya!) Then I'm going to give to me, to the Ody I control, a mission, and I'm gona do the mission and so off...
    Other good thing would be to keep our old names(Nickonahwk, ...)
    Example for quest with more units to control: Join aom expert's clan, travel to ESO and fight off the bad guys from there by chatting "fuc* gameranger" and "voobly sucks".
    Your unit's speed is determined by the internet connection's strength. This could be affected by different things, and could also keep the player from going somewhere when it's not the time.
    Well, what u think?

Youtube Channel
    Skyrim... the greatest game ever... without considering Age of Mythology, of course!
    Ctrl...Alt...Q...

[This message has been edited by Zhaka Mu (edited 04-04-2013 @ 04:32 AM).]

posted 02 April 2013 09:24 AM EDT (US)     13 / 322  
    lol, like a: "Meet the AoMH Community" RPG scenario?

posted 02 April 2013 10:02 AM EDT (US)     14 / 322  

(o)(o)
    ______

Yaaah...

Youtube Channel
    Ctrl...Alt...Q...
    posted 03 April 2013 01:11 AM EDT (US)     15 / 322  
    Nickonhawk, I like your enthusiasm and creativity but I personally wouldn't like to play another AoMH themed scenario (do you really want to make a Ripto v2 scenario?). I personally would rather want to play a scenario with an amazing custom storyline. I also think you would limit not only the storyline, but also the designers' creativity if the project would be AoMH themed.

Anyway, I also like the idea of a community map. I think it would be awesome if my inventory / quest log system could be implemented in the map. I will upload a scenario that demonstrates the system when I'm home.

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
    Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
    Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]
    posted 03 April 2013 04:04 AM EDT (US)     16 / 322  
    I agree with Lewonas about not wanting this to be some fight for AoMH/ESO, also if we are planning of this being some big map it would be a more than a bit anticlimactic if we end up saving the day with chat commands. I am not opposed at all to adding the designers in as special bosses or quest givers in some secret part.

As I an idea of what the story could be that some evil guy made the Earth (or some made up planet) stop rotating and our hero is sent on a quest to fix it. This would allow for several different eye candy themes as half the world would be frozen and the other half filled with fire, with transition states in between.
    posted 03 April 2013 08:52 AM EDT (US)     17 / 322  
    Awesome, Elrich you are now our fearless and unwavering leader!

Yes I agree with Lewonas and Scragins, I don't think that another Ripto is really needed. However again, with scragins I agree that the devs could/should definitely be in it.

I also like the that idea of that story, mainly because there can be much added onto it. It's basic enough that you could always add in extra plotlines to it (the spinning of the planet was keeping in fire spawns, the evil person that stopped the planet from spinning is bringing an army or similar to take over the badly bruised world etcetera, etc.) yet it leaves a lot of creativity for side quests and a variation of terrain (which is very much needed). For example a lot of stuff could be blamed by the destruction of the world ceasing to spin/things adjusting to the non-spining planet. So there is ample opportunity to create side quest/interesting terrain and eyecandy.

Although obviously I am also open to other story ideas. But really we should look to create a list of who is going to be apart of this ~ Milky

[This message has been edited by Milkman Matty (edited 04-03-2013 @ 08:55 AM).]

posted 03 April 2013 02:15 PM EDT (US)     18 / 322  
    Hey guys, I've been reading but haven't had time to reply just yet.

First thing, I don't feel I have to create the thread. In fact if scraggy opened it, he could edit it as well as I, but If I open it, only Hades and I could edit it. Although, when I create a thread like this, it is usually so complicated with html that once it is posted, it cannot be edited and resaved because of forum limitations/security, so I'd have to send him the html file that I post from so he can edit that directly then paste it into the thread, which I am willing to do.

Also, I am not in the mood for another tongue in cheek AoMH personality scenario. Like Milkman (Steak and Kahn) suggested, it would be interesting for replayability that the scenario sections had forks in the roads, so to speak - where the quest could be different if they decided to venture into one area rather than another.

@lewonas: that would be great to get your system and others set up initially so everyone can use it if needed for their section.

posted 04 April 2013 02:00 AM EDT (US)     19 / 322  
    I have changed the information in tables as well as their border and background colours. I don't think anything to complicated will be needed in the thread. A few lists such as who has signed up and who is working on the map next. Then some information about the plot etc maybe with some screenshots and progress bars.

Here is a quick (a bit longer than quick) example where I copied the table from another thread that Elrich made for me and then I edited bits of it as I learnt how to.

AoMH Community Map
    This is a scenario where any designer is welcome to contribute not only their ideas but also their scenario design skills. Using the skills of many designers we will hopefully be able to create a scenario that greater than what we could individually make.

As time goes by different designers will take it in turn to complete parts of the scenario. The plot will also develop and new features will continue to be added until the scenario is finished.

The more important descions such as what will happening in the overarching plot will be decided with a vote. Conflicting ideas will also be resolved by voting.
    Would you like to help?

If you want to edit the map please indicate so in a post below along with your skills so we know what you can do.

If you would to help us with ideas with the plot or something else just post them below.
    CompletionWhat is happening now?

Discovering talents of designers (everyone)
    What is happening next?

Choosing an overarching plot (everyone)

Setting up the inventory and quest log (Lewonas)
    Major decisions to vote on

What is the plot?

Current Designers

scragins (trigger artist)
    Kahn/Milkman (trigger artist, AI scripter)
    Elrich
    Nickonhawk
    Lewonas (trigger artist)
    Screenshots

NONE

If you do choose to go with my idea of plot and have only 1 main character or a group that follows 1 unit, I might be able to make the light change as your unit moves across the map using QV's so it is a smooth continuous change.
    posted 04 April 2013 04:30 AM EDT (US)     20 / 322  
    Uh oh :/
    Well, that's what I thought when you guys said comunity map, but you were in fact referring to it's making(Ooops!)
    I'm really go(o)d at eyecandy, I love to do things like spells, messages and quest logs, and have nothing in common with advance triggering. Here's my story:

Novice assassin, hit by a lazer bear when on mission. After exiting the hospital, he is no longer able to perform his job.
    A couple of years have passed, and we find him somewhere at a farm, living with his cow, and his best friend, a donkey. The wounds have gone, but farm life is just too good.
    One day, a fearsome dragon burns his house and takes his cow. He and the donkey barely survived, but they've got enough strength to start an adventure. They will climb the sleeping volcano, slay the dragon, take their cow and the whole pile of gold he sits on!

Hope it's better

And scrag, I think it's Khan not Kahn XD

Youtube Channel
    Ctrl...Alt...Q...

[This message has been edited by Zhaka Mu (edited 04-04-2013 @ 06:50 AM).]

posted 04 April 2013 08:31 AM EDT (US)     21 / 322  
    The triggers would then be copied across to the actual map but I am unaware how how that would work, if any of us know how to copy triggers from when map to another I think we should do that as that would let more than 1 person to work on the map at a time.
    It's actually quite easy to do this. The only problem is changing the triggering once someone has initially created it.
    Anyone can add triggers to any version of the map as long as once a unit is down no one touches it. It's quite easy to add them to either map, you just play test the map, go to the temptest.xs in the My games/../trigger2 folder and make the newly added trigger code into a new trigger (like how triggersToOne works). However then editing them is a bit of a pain but really isn't too much hassel if you know what you are doing. I'm sure Lewonas and Elrich and probably others would have no trouble doing this either as it is not a hard thing to achieve.
    And scrag, I think it's Khan not Kahn XD
    Yeah it definitely is Khan not Kahn but w/e I'll still respond to that haha cuz I know what you meant ~ Milky

posted 04 April 2013 11:51 AM EDT (US)     22 / 322  
    My fault, I initially misspellelled it.

I hope I'm not being too picky, but as far as the idea of the laser bear, I'd like to avoid any sillyness with the story. I'd like to see if we can make a somewhat professional project with good cinematics and a worthy storyline.

posted 04 April 2013 12:51 PM EDT (US)     23 / 322  
    Here's the little demo I talked about. It doesn't cover all of the inventory triggers, just the basics.

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
    Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
    Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]
    posted 04 April 2013 02:19 PM EDT (US)     24 / 322  
    use mods -.-

oh btw I've managed to make a face model which uses the cinematic arkantos texture using an unused statue which can also be fitted with some other cinematic textures such as ajax.

Aren't you tired of making cinematics with the same old models lol?

[This message has been edited by Dean88 (edited 04-04-2013 @ 02:27 PM).]

posted 04 April 2013 02:36 PM EDT (US)     25 / 322  
    Some poeple don't bother with mods, and might want to play this...
    @Elrich
    I don't think that a lazer bear takes the profesionalism out of a scen (take this for example). It's silly only you make it silly.
    You can use an ox if you don't like bears.

Youtube Channel
    Ctrl...Alt...Q...

[This message has been edited by Zhaka Mu (edited 04-04-2013 @ 02:39 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 13  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » AoMH community map project: Organization thread - The Story will be The Black Throne
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames