You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Learn to Texture...and Texture Well!
posted 11 June 2004 06:53 PM EDT (US)   
Texturing, a difficult task many can do but few can do well. Why, you ask? Because when you are inserting one of your creations into a professionally done game, the texture is what stands out. A texture will determine, in most cases, ultimate success or complete failure. This Guide will help with the first so that your mods will be improved.

Learn to Texture, and Texture Well!
A Guide by Waveslave

• First Step: Photo-ing

Most mods, except the incredibly original ones, are helped with a supply of pictures. Not necessarily to always clone onto the texture, but to draw vision, inspiration, and guidance from. For example, I am making a mod based on Blackbeard, the pirate. The more pictures I find of him, the better. It will help me visualize what I am going to make him look like, what clothes he will wear, how is hair looks. Pictures are the flashlight that show you and your mod the way ahead to success.

• A Texturing Must: Resizing

All textures come or can come in three different sizes, 64x128, 128x256, and 256x512.
    The first, 64x128, is the lowest detail a body texture will go, unless you want to drop to 32x64, for some horrible reason. This resolution is pixely, undetailed, and hard to texture your full imagination.
    Advantages: Faster to mod, less lag when many units on screen.
    Disadvantages: Undetailed, pixely, hard to mod.
    BOTTOM LINE: Use this only if necessary, or you want to make an undetailed, quickie mod which is not meant to be eye-candy.

The next resolution, 128x256, is the medium of the three. It allows more detail than 64x128 since it is bigger, but cannot support as much as 256x512. This is the size most modders use for a quick, detailed-yet-simple mod which can still be eye-pleasing.
    Advantages: The medium of the three sizes, allows more detail than 64x128, less lag than 256x512.
    Disadvantages: Not as detailed as 256x512, may be slightly limiting or still slightly pixely.
    BOTTOM LINE: Use this if you are making an average-detail mod, not as intricate as 256x512 and not as pixely as 64x128.

The last resolution, 256x512, is the one I use the most. Being the biggest, it supports the most detail. It takes the longest to mod, but is the most pleasing to the eye when everything is over.
    Advantages: Heavy detail support, open for immense creativity.
    Disadvantages: Takes longer to mod, might cause lag if many 256x512 units are on screen.
    BOTTOM LINE: Use this resolution if you are in the mood for creating a detailed, eye-candy mod, which may be more difficult to make.

• Applying Base Colors

~First, determine what each part of the texture is, and if you are lost, use Waveslave's Guide to Exploring a Texture. Now, apply single block colors to the texture in each part you are modding. For Example, if I want to make Jason have a green shirt, I will color all of Jason's upper torso region a shade of green. Then, if I want to make him have green sleeves too, I will color the arm regions block green too, extending to the wrists. I have decided that I will leave Jason with just a longsleeve green shirt on, and the rest of his texture the same as before, so let's move on.

Note: Always keep AoM running while you are modding, and always check your mod while making it. Don't mod blindly.

Base Green

• Advancing in Detail

~Now, say I want Jason to wear a vest. I am going to paint a black region all over the back of the upper torso, and on the sides of the front upper torso. Also, I am going to add a little bit to the upper arm on the left side of the texture. After

Note: You will not get everything exactly correct the first time. I had to go back and fix the vest three times on the front upper torso and arm before it looked good.

Undetailed Vest Added

• Adding Small Details

~This is where you take the blockish texture, and add some detail to it. For now, I am making things flat, and I will get back to it later. Add details to places where you think need them. Use the paint tool, and don't try to add depth or shadows yet. That is next.

Added Details

• Making Mods 3D with Depth and Shadows

~This is one of the most important steps. I will explain it with PSP8, but it is possible in most all paint programs, except MS Paint.

First, take the "soften" tool, or blur tool, (I have it at Size 5 Hardness 0) and soften most of the lines on the mod. Contrary to some belief, black lines or dark lines do not make the mod better, they make it more flat.

Note: The level of soften varies in different places. For example, I softened the cut on the shirt a lot, and I barely softened the buttons on the vest

Softened Lines

Next, take the "Lighten/Darken" tool, not the "Burn/Dodge" tool, and get a size about Size 47 Hardness 0. Now, just lighten and darken around the texture, making it look like different parts are different colors and is dirty. Make it dark in some places and light in others, like sun is falling in different places.

Note: Left-Click to Lighten, Right Click to Darken

Lighten/Darken Texture

Lastly, take the Dodge/Burn tool and choose the "Sponge Round" shape. Use around Size 150. Do the same as Lighten/Darken, left-clicking to dodge, right to burn around the texture. Make it even, and make it look dirty and worn, unless your aim is to make the clothes new looking, which is kinda flat.

Finalized Texture

This is how the final mod looks. See how the shading makes it look 3D?

Finished Sample Mod

Follow these basic steps, and I guarantee you will texture well. Everyone has there way of modding, so maybe you want to use your own. This is mine, and I'm sharing it with you so that you too can learn to texture...and texture well!

• Replies:
    posted 11 June 2004 07:05 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
    can you make a guide to learn to texture well but with Paint?

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
    posted 11 June 2004 07:09 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
    Why?
    GIMP is just lke Photoshop and Paintshop Pro, except it's free.
    (Don't worry it's not pirated. It's open-source)

http://gimp.org

Seriously, it's really hard to make a good texture in MSPaint. Almost impossible.

Dnas
    Wildfire games 0 A. D. texture artist.
    Rest In Peace, Flipbizcut (1979-2005)

[This message may have been edited by Dnas (edited 49-92-4096 @ 42:93 PM).]

posted 12 June 2004 10:36 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
    this is just something i thought. Waveslave, you really should make a site about your stuff. you really have done a lot of mods and guides.

posted 12 June 2004 12:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
    Hi there! Nice guide! Very useful, I didn't use PSP for textures, well, I guess I've changed my decision...

- Hades Worshipper
    posted 12 June 2004 02:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
    Well Waveslave, you've finally convinced me to mod. How much cost this Photoshop and Paintshop Pro? Not excactly but is it about $50,- or $100 etc?

Lexus
    Current Designs:
    The Silmarillion 5% || Elenamon 75%
    The age of Men is over. The time of Orcs has come. Gothmog
    posted 12 June 2004 02:37 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
    Don't bother to buy it.

GIMP is free and the exact same thing.

Dnas

posted 12 June 2004 02:53 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
    Either listen to the unofficial GIMP salesman, or get PSP8 off eBay like I did, and I actually saved a lot of money by getting it at $25.

Auron, I decided to make a website from your comment, and it's working great. I'll be done in about twenty minutes when I'll link you guys up.

[This message has been edited by waveslave610 (edited 06-12-2004 @ 02:55 PM).]

posted 12 June 2004 03:29 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
    I like that title, but how do you sell something that's free.

Dnas

posted 12 June 2004 03:52 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
    lmao, gimp salesman. Dnas is trying to help is all though. Maybe AoM Heaven should post a link to Gimp at the resources site like they did for Gmax, just a suggestion. There are other paint progs out there that are just as good as psp which are either free or for a real low cost. Just a matter of pref.

This is a great guide though waveslave.

£¿ïþß첩û £¤® ~ ¿ïØûîÐ £í® §üÐ줧
    Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
    Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.
    posted 12 June 2004 04:29 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21  

Quote:

Don't bother to buy it.
    GIMP is free and the exact same thing.

The GIMP thing is hard to download. Can you explane how and what you need to download?

Lexus
    Current Designs:
    posted 12 June 2004 04:32 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
    Go to gimp.org
    Click on GIMP for Windows.
    Go to Jernej Simoncic's precompiled binaries.
    Go to Stable verson
    Download and install files in order.

Dnas

posted 12 June 2004 05:43 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
    can you put more detailed link? i downloaded GIMP and it always says that i must have an user id password in order to insall it.

posted 12 June 2004 05:57 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
    Did you get to this page?

http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html

If so, then you got to the right one and it should work fine.

If it didn't work, I have a guess to what is wrong. you're running Windows XP, right? If so, I'm guessing that, with multiple user accounts, only the administrator can install programs.

Dnas

posted 12 June 2004 05:59 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
    Where's your website with all your guides Wavey?

- Hades Worshipper
    posted 12 June 2004 07:29 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
    posted 12 June 2004 07:38 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
    omg! my name is in your announcements! i'm special

you should try out other free web servers on google.com.

or maybe ask argalus to html your site, i think he knows about that stuff........

posted 12 June 2004 08:39 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
    Or you can ask me to html AND php your site. this way, I can write templates for you and you only need to know basic basic basic html to get your site pages written.

And each file will be tiny.

<? include "functions.php"; ?>

<html>
    <head>
    <title>Title goes here</title>

<? writeheader(); ?>

You content goes here

<? writefooter(); ?>

The php code (the <? stuff ?> ) will take care of the layout for you.

Dnas

posted 12 June 2004 08:52 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
    i like your site and havent even visited it waveslave...probably because the name

Smiley faces are your friends. Hippies are your friends. Hobos are your friends. Why don't we just say everyone and everything is your friend?
    posted 13 June 2004 11:06 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
    Dnas I've downloaded both files and installed it, but then it says "Can't find entrypoint of procedure XML_SetDectypeDeclHandler in DLL-file xmlparse.dll". What to do?

Do I have to download this "Ghostscript"? Where do I do that?

This site looks a bit like AOMfiles.com. Also hard to download, not easy like heavengames.com

Lexus
    Current Designs:
    posted 13 June 2004 02:19 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21  

Quote:

Or you can ask me to html AND php your site. this way, I can write templates for you and you only need to know basic basic basic html to get your site pages written.

I hardly know any php-code, I use a very good program for it. Here look at my redesigned site, all done with that program, and pretty fast too. Of course with the help of PhotoShop.

|| argalius.elpea.net
    || Cherub at AoE3H
    || In honor of FlipBizcut
    || Mod: The Age of Crusades
    posted 13 June 2004 05:09 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
    Ask the people at http://gug.sunsite.dk

I'm not good with this technical stuff.

Dnas

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Learn to Texture...and Texture Well!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames