Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing
Moderated by ChowGuy, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Prelude: The Giant Trilogy
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 46  Next Page »
posted 12-02-04 08:04 AM EDT (US)   
The day was dawning, and the morning mists slowly burnt away. Myroj'Hizlk (my Drows REAL name ) hated the fact that this adventure must begin in the daylight hours, but he understood the necessity of getting underway. Packing his meager belongings, he headed for the common room, and found the others already gathered. Bearclaw sat silently at a table, thumbing his chin at some inward concern. The Elven warrior Eros, sat alone as usual, drinking some strange smelling liquid, and observing everyone else seemingly at once. The Elven waitress known as Sul had traded her waitressing outfit for a much more practical adventuring garb sometime during the night, and Myroj was impressed by the Elf Maidens presence as she sat with Ramsees the human Magic-User, talking quietly. Myroj noticed that Roadamer was standing by the door, speaking to someone outside; probably the stable-hands Myroj thought. The small dragon, Ayuth seemed in an active mood, moving around speaking to each of the party members, and generally giving small deep-throated growls of what Myroj took as anticipation. The Elf named Beren sat with his female companion Luthien, speaking quietly. Myroj hadn't really noticed those two before now, and his interest was piqued. The Dwarf who had been awakened and spoken to the day before was outfitted in obvious adventuring gear, so Myroj expected that he had agreed to come along as well.
Nodding slightly to his new found companions, Myroj sat next to Bearclaw, and prepared a potion.
"It helps with the day-vision" Myroj said, shrugging, at the curious looks the black bubbling liquid drew.
"I take it Roadamer is preparing the Wagons and steeds?" Myroj asked the giant barbarian.
At Bearclaws nod, Myroj looked at the asembled group.

The giant warrior Bearclaw, his fellow Drow Roadamer, the four Elves,(though Myroj was uncertain of the exact origins of Luthien), a Dwarf, a human magic-user and a small Dragon.
Shaking his head, at just how this party would ever coexist, Myroj swallowed his concoction, replaced his equipment and waited.

Not long had passed, when Roadamer came back from the door, saying that all was ready. Slowly the asembled group stood and walked outside. The morning air was still chill, and the sky still cloudy, so Myroj felt no real discomfort. There were two Wagons, laden with what equipment Bearclaw and Roadamer had bought with them, under neatly tied protective coverings of what seemed to be treated leather to Myroj. Surprisingly, there stood four graceful white horses, contently grazing. Roadamer pointed the Elves towards the beasts, and they all four smiled slightly as they saddled up and prepared. A small but powerful looking pony had been offered to the Dwarf, who was quite reluctant to accept the offer. The others all mounted up, with Bearclaw and Roadamer at the heads of the Wagons, and began the travel east, to the town of Howthen, where Myroj needed to collect an old gambling debt.

The party rode mainly in silence, each trying to discover who would be a problem for who, and how to avoid any conflict.

And thus begun the beginnings of the mismatched band of adventurers who had all agreed to hunt Giants, for whatever purposes drove them; be they known or not...

A Little On Myroj'Hizlk

He is a drow assassin who stands about 5'10" tall, and has a lithe build, but defined enough not to look weak. As with all of Dark-Elven decent, his hair was a flowing mane of white, and his skin a dark green-black. He wore a long black cloak, clasped at the front by a Spider shaped device. Beneath this, he wore a strange vest, which looked leather to those who saw it, but it was covered in a multitude of small snake scales, that seemed to flicker, regardless of lightsource. His trousers were snug fitting leather leggings, dyed a deep black, with small pockets that held only what Myroj knew. His boots were mid shin high, and of course, black.
His Amulet is of strange design, not recognized, even by his fellow Dark-Elven kin.
What abilities are known: He dabbles in Death and Chaos Magics, mainly those of Necromantic origin.
He is incredibly skilled with Daggers and Small bladed swords, and prefers to 'slit the throat of they who would cut yours' over an open conflict.
Usually withdrawn and quite proud of his sack of Elven ears he has collected over the years, Myroj is very good at blending in, or disappearing from the minds of most without causing notice.

*The basic description, which serves it's purpose of this, 'Prelude: The Giant Trilogy'.
*When giving the description of the character, feel free to make corrections about anything that I have commented about your character(s)*

=LASFS Operative #2=
-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. War Leader-/X\(++)/X\-

[This message has been edited by ShadowKin (edited 01-02-2005 @ 06:38 AM).]

Replies:
posted 12-02-04 08:09 AM EDT (US)     1 / 1371  
As the party rode on, Myroj spoke suddenly, pulling the group from their thoughts.

"These roads are well known to be avenues of heavy Human Bandit activity. Be prepared for anything. Howthen is about two days ride, following this road, through some hills and small forest."

After about an hour of riding, the group noticed an old man laying face down in the dirt, apparently not breathing.

"Well then, what do we have here?" Myroj asked, riding up next to the Wagons...

=LASFS Operative #2=
posted 12-02-04 11:33 AM EDT (US)     2 / 1371  
Roadamer:"well,it appears the old man finally died,i suppose someone should do something"*Looks at companions and then back to old man

Info on Roadamer: He is a Drow that stands about 5'9"in height.The obvious flowing white hair acustum to his race.He wears a long dark robe made of the most perculior fabric.Inside his robe many small throwing daggers can be seen evenly dispersed.His Tough looking leather garment that he wore was what many would call Studded leather only this studded leather was special made and was lightwaight and made not a sound.He is by nature a Dual-Wielder preffering two melee weapons to one and a shiled.One weapon is a magical-adamantine Scimatar and the other a Dagger of unknown proportions Yet to be discovered.The Dagger was a gift from a friend of long ago.His leather leggeings which are the color of Dark Moonlight blue,and his belt which carries his hand-held crossbow and Posionus Darts.The ring that he wears is a Dark Colored Blue of the Ocean sea.His Boots are also of Dark Blue.

Known Abilites:Excellent Dual-Wielder,Very good shot with crossbows,Dabbles around in Some Death magic but only knows the basic spells.But has had wizards teach him spells that are quite usefull to Thiefs like spells of silence and the such.Is able to counjurn all Darkelf related inamate magic like engullfing darkness,Faerie Fire,and levitation to some degree depending on how well favored he is to Lolth.His hidding skills are quite fenominal even to that of a darkelf.

posted 12-02-04 02:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 1371  
"Yes."
Ramsees gets out and covers the old man with a spare cape.

*info on Ramsees:
A blonde-haired human,with a rather frail constitution was what one could see while looking at Ramsees. His long hair hid most of the traits of his face. All that was revealed from his face was his eyes, of a pale green clour. He only carried the strict necessary: a water flask, a few lembas and his ashwood staff. The staff was a enchanted weapon, much similar to those used by druids.

"The intensity, the aggression, the hatred. You could just hear a lead singer scream at the top of his lungs. I felt that way. I wanted to smash things."
-Kurt Cobain
My Rock Forums
posted 12-02-04 02:57 PM EDT (US)     4 / 1371  
Sul looked at the corpse with apprehension.
"I wonder how he died," she said, a little too loudly than she intended.

*Info on Sul*
An average height for an Elf, with wild eyes which echo a slightly hunted look. She looked as though she might have once been very agile and strong, but now she bore a slightly skeletal look. She probably was still weak from whatever misfortune that had crossed her path [ooc: is my grammar okay on that sentence?]. Her unnaturally silver hair hid most of her face and her knuckles were white from clutching one of her daggers. The second one was hidden in her boot, though not very well -- the handle stuck out.

I've got a gun in my hand but that gun won't cock, my finger's on the trigger but that trigger seems locked and I can't stop staring at the tick-tock clock, and even if I could I would never give up. With a vest on my chest and a bullet in my lung, I can't believe I'm dying with my song unsung. So if and when I die won't you bury me alone, because I'll never get to heaven if I'm singing this song. STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO
posted 12-02-04 05:06 PM EDT (US)     5 / 1371  
OOC: For the moment, I will leave my characters' stats and abilities somewhat ambiguous, as I am not totally clear yet and they don't fit well into D&D classes anyway.

It's 'Beren,' not 'Berend', btw.

IC:

The two of them had ridden to the side most of the journey thusfar, speaking quietly with each-other in Sindarin.

"I have never encountered such Elves before." Lúthien referred to Roadamer and the other. "They seem different from us, but I do not know how."

They continued speaking quietly, although as the group got underway, they rode silently. Lúthien started to position herself inside the group, and untied enough thongs on her bow so that it would be ready, but then was silent, but alert. Beren was closer to the edge, also alert. He glanced at his ring, occasionally, but was alert to the outside as well.

They came to the old man. Beren said nothing. Lúthien slid down off her steed and knelt down beside the old man. Not knowing what his status was, she examined him more carefully, making sure whether or not he was alive, and if he died, what had killed him.

What you know about Beren
Apparently Elven, but something seems odd about him for an Elf. Stands quite tall (over 6'), moderately muscled but not exceptionally so, wearing his dark hair long. He has a long green-brown cloak, over a tunic and drawstring pants. He has fairly light-weight shoes, but his step is light in them. Carries a sword at his waist and a bow under his back, and a small, round, shield, but has no obvious signifying features on his clothing.
Wears an interesting ring of two struggling serpents with bright green eyes, one devouring the other.
Abilities as known
Supposedly some woodcraft and fighting skill, favoring his sword. Is ambidextrous, despite that he uses sword and shield. Seems to know a thing or two about some of the more bizarre creatures and monsters that inhabit the world. Possibly has some powers that might be called "magical", but does not himself understand how they work.

What you know about Lúthien
Elven, dark-haired, standing not quite six feet tall, and appearing very slender and lightly built but otherwise healthy. Moves with considerable grace - extremely beautiful by standard Elven definitions (though other cultures may differ on their opinions). Wears a dark green cloak over a gown of roughly the same color as the overhead sky in the mountains (rich, dark blue). Carries a thin sword, bow, and some daggers (and probably more under her garments). Cloak is decorated with the symbol of a ginko leaf in lighter green.
No obviously magical or otherwise special inventory.
Abilities as known
Very graceful movement probably hints at being very fast and agile, but how fast (or agile) is unknown. Understands and uses forms of Art, especially using herself as her mode of expression (dancing and singing). Her Art supposedly contains elements of the Art of which the Multiverse is made, although she obviously understands a miniscule portion of it. None of her "spells" that have been seen thusfar have been particularly powerful, although she can apparently change her hair color to whatever she likes. Is prone to spurts of brilliant inspiration, but seems a more creative than logical person, mentally.

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 12-02-04 05:19 PM EDT (US)     6 / 1371  
The former security dragon, Ayuth, had flew quickly along, over the party. As the horses feared dragons nearby, let alone on their backs, he took to the air. Ayuith prefered the air, anyway.

As they encountered the old man, he landed. He did nothing, but studied the man, trying to determine if he had any particular symbol or allegiance apparent on his clothes. Finding nothing, he looked around the area, and lifted his wings and launched into the air once again.

*Ayuth's appearance
Small for a dragon, Ayuth is still nine feet long/tall when fully spread out. His face is hard to discern for humanoids, but he almost invariably seems either calmly interested, or indifferent.
The steel, dark jeweled necklace is always around his long neck, glintng in the light. His hide is dark red, like his necklace's jewel.

posted 12-03-04 06:49 AM EDT (US)     7 / 1371  
OOC: My apologies on the name Beren. I am sure I have seen a 'Berend' around here someplace, and thus it contiously triggers in my mind. Failing eyesight does not help. Sincerely, I apologize.

Myroj sat fingering his dagger, as his companions examined the old mans body. Something wasn't quite right here. Looking warily about them, and noticing little cover for would-be ambushers, he relaxed.

"I don't suppose that any visible wounds were seen?" he asked.
Seeing the replies in the negative, Myroj made his own assumption.

"Poison" he said simply, shrugging, still unconciously fingering his dagger.

As the party tried to decide what to do with the corpse, a sudden loud pitch shrill, pierced the air from the east, and a group of man-sized creatures could be seen flying hastily towards the party.

=LASFS Operative #2=
posted 12-03-04 11:26 AM EDT (US)     8 / 1371  
Roadamer:"hm,company already"*quietly talks to his imp which flys off toward the direction of these flying humanoids to see if they meen any ill intent,and picks up his crossbow and reaches back in the wagon to a beatifuly crafted small black box and opens it and carefully pulls out a 3-piece clip and attaches it to his crossbow.And he also pulls out some poisonous darts from the black box as well and loads the 3-piece clip.Then he shuts the black box up again and turns and puts it back in the wagon.The extra darts that he pulled out of the black box fit neatly into a pouch on his belt.Eyeing the new arrivals all the while.
posted 12-03-04 02:13 PM EDT (US)     9 / 1371  
Tank-Man:
*Stumbles in*
*Wields axe*
*Shoots a few toothpicks*
posted 12-03-04 03:08 PM EDT (US)     10 / 1371  
OOC: i'll just ignore Dvorak's pst...

IC:
Ramsees quickly gets up and braces for combat.
"These cretures sure don't look friendly. I'd start preparing for our imminent encounter."

"The intensity, the aggression, the hatred. You could just hear a lead singer scream at the top of his lungs. I felt that way. I wanted to smash things."
-Kurt Cobain
My Rock Forums
posted 12-03-04 03:42 PM EDT (US)     11 / 1371  
OOC: Sorry that I haven't posted in awhile.

IC: Eros traveled with the group, staying mostly in the back and being alert and watchful. He noticed the flying humanoids a bit before the Drow did, but waited until the Drow approached them to follow.

A little about Eros:
A wood elf from some forest. He worked as a mercenary for the highest payer and became rather well-known for his marksmanship with the bow and added magic attacks from his staff. He is considered an arcane archer of a different sort.

Known skills:
He is very talented with his short bow and has worked solely on light spells with his staff. He can cast basic healing spells as well as various light spells not yet revealed.

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.
posted 12-03-04 05:56 PM EDT (US)     12 / 1371  
Bearclaw:*the wagons we have been riding in are larger than most, well built by the Dwarves for mountain travel,mand by 4 1stlvl. rangers to each wagon. pulled by a team of 6 "mountain" draft horses. huge they are, their backs standing as tall as Zandallair, who is 6 and 1/2 feet tall, they are a dark redish rust color and have litewieght leather type armor drapped to their sides. the drafts are not fast but strong and steady, and a faster horse will have a hard time putting "any" distance between it and the "mountain" drafts in the mountain terrain. As all know dwarves love to come up with new contraptions. and these two wagons built for the trade route, and all its "hazards", are no exception. the wagons rolled to a stop at the first sign of the man laying on the ground.*

*Bearclaw with the 6 reigns in his hands and a 1stlvl. ranger sitting next to him, look over at the man on the ground*
"what dya make of it?"
*upon hearing the first loud shrill* *in a loud voice Bearclaw shouts commands to the rangers in the wagons,while climing off the drivers seat with crossbow in hand*
"this is twice now these things have caught us off guard" "lets try to kill one this time boys, and find out what they are"
*the rangers spring into action,2(in each wagon)jump down, grabing small hamers off the front of the wagons,hit a spring loaded leaver, freeing the horses from the wagon.they are well trained in battle situations and stay generaly calm.the other 2 lift the drivers seat and a crossbow springs up on a pedastal which swivales,1,mans the bow, while the other reloads.
*Roadamer: Gracefully sumersalts off the side of the wagon in true acrobat form with his small crossbow in hand while the rangers begin to man the mechanism.

posted 12-03-04 06:48 PM EDT (US)     13 / 1371  
Beren had a pretty good idea what these things were. In fact, he thought he had fought them before. He snarled the name in Adűnaic, the common name for them escaping him at the moment. He noticed that the strange elf who called himself Shadowkin had some sort of ballista ready. Beren was never one for machines, though - his culture had never used them. Beren dismounted and slid back towards the side of the road opposite the side the creatures were approaching from. He strung his bow, but kept his sword ready in case it came to close quarters.

Lúthien did a backwards summersault away from the body of the old man and came up on her feet, and took cover behind a tree, stringing her bow, and singing softly. Her goal was to invoke a bewildering enchantment on any foes and a steadfastness on her friends. She would have to time it just right, however, if it were going to have that effect. If all else failed, she had her Elven cloak and could hide, but she didn't want to abandon people.

OOC: Edited

[This message has been edited by Beren V (edited 12-03-2004 @ 07:22 PM).]

posted 12-03-04 07:12 PM EDT (US)     14 / 1371  
Bearclaw:OOC:these did not just appear out of thin air i did not get a chance to post an explination of the wagons and the rangers that are driving them. these rangers are really none players (but needed) to make my charactor being at the inn realistic. i cant just say i myself brought two huge wagons with 12 horses down from the hill myself. i will run them. they will not do any real fighting so they will be of no real value, nor will they change the out come of any given scenario. AND if (God forbid) one may get killed off our charactors can be "trained" to fill in. i came home from work and my son said hey dad we've left the inn!!!! i told him crap i had a lot of explaining to do.
posted 12-03-04 07:20 PM EDT (US)     15 / 1371  
The noise of the heavy wagons woke Lighthawk long before the wagons passed the little wood, where he had been sleeping during the night. That gave him plenty of time to study the mixed party that passed bye.
"Drow and elf trawling together... that's something you don't see every day" he whispered to Fenris "This smells of great adventure!"
When the party has passed bye he started to follow at a distance. With his skills as a ranger and druid, and with the help of his elven cloak, staying unseen was not difficult. When the Party found the dead man, Lighthawk was able to stay hidden in some nearby bushes.
A sudden loud pitch shrill made Lighthawk turn his attention away from the party, when seeing the flying creatures he quickly readied his bow, but he stayed hidden in the bushes, hoping to take the creatures by surprise, if they attacked the party.

A Little about Lighthawk:
Lighthawk's father was a wood elf and his mother was a noble high elf (and a skilled sorceress) They both died in an accident when Lighthawk was young. After that he lived a few years with his mothers family, but he did not feel that he belonged there (they had never approved of his mothers marriage), so he left to find he's fathers people. After years of adventuring he did find his fathers people, and he studied for 8 years as a druid with his grand father. But he started to become more and more restless and and in the end he started adventuring again. He has now been adventuring for 35 years, with only a year or two of rest now and then with his fathers people. For and elf he has little patience, and he is often called "the restless elf" by his own people.
Lighthawk has inherited a high affinity for magic by his mother, but he has never had patience enough to become the great sorcerer, he could have been. On his many adventures he has picked up quite some low level spells though, so he knows more spells then the average low level sorcerer.
By his fathers people he has also learned some basic ranger skills, and he is quite good with his magic longbow.
He is a little above average height for an elf, he has light half-long hair and green eyes. He is somewhat lightly build and not very strong, but he is quite agile and dexterous (even for an elf) and can run for long distances without getting tired.
He prefer to not get into hand to hand fights, but If forced to do so, he can defend himself well enough using his (magic) druid staff or his shot elven blade.

For the last 9 years he have had an animal companion, a large wolf called Fenris. Fenris is quite intelligent and can carry out quite complicated orders. Over the years they have developed a quite strong empathic link, and when Lighthawk concentrate, he can "see what the wolf sees".

Kris Lighthawk
Creator of Lighthawk's mod

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 12-03-2004 @ 07:21 PM).]

posted 12-03-04 07:46 PM EDT (US)     16 / 1371  
Ayuth spotted the flying humanoids a short time before anyone else, as he wass in the air, but did nothing. He wondered what they were, who they worked for and why they were headed this way, but he didn't feel any fear. He had stopped feeling fear for a long time. Not that he thought that nothing could kill or harm him; quite to the contrary, he knew there were a great many things that could do just that.

It was just a result of his philosophical position. He believed that every life was destined to lead one path; he simply decided the pace he walked, how he walked, and when to stop walking. If he met an enemy, it was because the enemy was on his path, and to continue walking, he must kill it. If he found a friend, he helped it, and it helped him.

If something killed him, he would know that he did his best, and nothing he could have done could have stopped it.

So, he simply waited, flying slow circles around the rest of the party. The flying humanoids were most likely enemies on his path, but they might be friends. To find out, he must wait.

If they were enemies, as he suspected, he was already prepared. Ayuth's weapons were a part of him; magic, claws, and fangs. His armor was also intrinsic; his scales and hide. Thus, he was readied for battle at all times.

posted 12-04-04 08:04 AM EDT (US)     17 / 1371  
The humanoids flew closer, yet they seemed to have slowed their descent. They looked like small females (of about 5'6" in height) with feathered wings sprouting from their backs, and vicious talons where hands should be. As the party readied themselves, Myroj was off his horse, and crouched upon the ground.
The creatures, which looked to be some form of Harpy, circled some distance (there were fifteen in total) screeching challenges and arguing amongst themselves. Ten suddenly broke off from the main group, and flew straight at Ayuth, wielding sickles that glowed a deep red.
The others, screeching, dived towards the rest of the group, and a steady fall of darts begun falling around the gathered group.

"Those darts will be poisoned! Avoid them if possible!" Myroj exclaimed, still crouched in a battle readiness.

Harpy Count - 15

=LASFS Operative #2=

[This message has been edited by ShadowKin (edited 12-04-2004 @ 08:06 AM).]

posted 12-04-04 09:39 AM EDT (US)     18 / 1371  
Bearclaw:*the rangers maning the wagons heavy-crossbows aim at the 2 lead creatures,the front firing at one and the 2nd firing at the other,(the ranger in the front wagon being a little more skilled, crouches so his eyes are level with the crossbow looking straight down the bow at the beast coming,"come and get it turky")then fires, while the other ranger reloads the weapon for another round
*the rangers on the ground immediatly lead the horses for cover*
*Bearclaw, along side the front team heads for cover firing his 3 shots at the lead creature to slow down and disrupt any form of attack they had on the group, to give them more time to ready themselves.
posted 12-04-04 01:24 PM EDT (US)     19 / 1371  
Ramsees begins to mutter something under his breath. Soon, the harpy-like creatures are blinded by a large cloud of fog. Then Ramsees casts Ray of Frost on one of the winged creatures around him. The harpy freezes and falls to the ground.

-Kurt Cobain
My Rock Forums
posted 12-04-04 03:26 PM EDT (US)     20 / 1371  
Sul, not used to anything remotely frightening and being still jumpy from the long year spent wandering, stopped her steed, jumped down to the ground and gripped her dagger more firmly. She could not be much help in that battle, unless an injured harpy flew low enough, but she didn't want to get caught unawares.

I've got a gun in my hand but that gun won't cock, my finger's on the trigger but that trigger seems locked and I can't stop staring at the tick-tock clock, and even if I could I would never give up. With a vest on my chest and a bullet in my lung, I can't believe I'm dying with my song unsung. So if and when I die won't you bury me alone, because I'll never get to heaven if I'm singing this song. STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO
posted 12-04-04 04:04 PM EDT (US)     21 / 1371  
Roadamer:*Realizeing that one was frozen and 2 more were distracted with the crossbow mechinasims left 2 of the 5.Roadamer shoot his crossbow at the remanaing 2 harpys all 3 of his shoots raining out at them.And then quickly spun for cover trying to avoid all the darts raining down upon the group, running and spining with beauty and grace to some Trees nearby and slicing the frozen "look like harpy" on the ground as he went with his scimatar.hopping he would have time to reload his 3-piece clip perhaps before the other 10 attacked.

[This message has been edited by Accusync72 (edited 12-04-2004 @ 04:06 PM).]

posted 12-04-04 04:45 PM EDT (US)     22 / 1371  
Eros sprung into evasive action as soon as the first of the darts entered his field of vision. He rolled to his right and came up on one knee, his shortbow in his hands. With his right hand he grasped an elven leaf arrow in the hidden quiver underneath his cloak and yanked it out.

He fit the arrow in his shortbow and pulled back the string. The wooden shaft of the bow was well-crafted by the elves of his homeland and fit his hand perfectly. He loosed the arrow with deadly accuracy and it hurtled towards the head of the nearest assailant.

The small projectile struck and easily broke the skin of the Harpy, passing almost completely through the being's head. It screamed and fell dead. Eros smiled grimly. He still had some of his old skill hidden away after all.

Continuing to strafe off to the side, the elf narrowly avoided a poison dart direscted at him and drew raised his staff. He focused for a moment and cast a small missile of magic which darted forward and struck another Harpy, hurting it only a little but more turning its attention towards him and away from the other group members.

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.
posted 12-04-04 06:00 PM EDT (US)     23 / 1371  
Ayuth roared a war cry in a almost entirely unknown dialect of draconian. Roughly translated, it was "As my claws rip [into] you, you shall fall to the depths [of the ground]!"

As the war-cry echoed, flame burst forward at the nearest of the ten harpies attacking him. It screeched, and fell, but it was not dead. It was deeply injured, especially it's wings, but it still lived.

Ayuth noted the fact, but did not attempt to finish it off, for there were many more harpies charging at him.

As Ayuth turned away, it slinked toward Sul.

Ayuth glided forward at another harpy, and struck it with his claws. Foul blood spurted from the wound he made, and the harpy soon died, it's body falling quickly to the ground.

Two harpies reached out with their talons and attempted to rip into the dragon's flesh. Ayuth, seeing them move to strike, rolled his body away from them. Before he managed to get out of the way, the harpies cut him, but it was a shallow one.

Ayuth swung his claws at the lunging harpies, catching one. It died, but the other struck Ayuth. It hit, and the resulting wound was quite painful, but not debilitating.

He felt the pain, but ignored it. He blew flame at the harpy who had just struck him, scorching it beyond recognition. The charred corpse fell, like the other two.

Then the six other harpies reached him. He killed one of them before being overwhelmed. He was unconscious as he fell to the ground.

The five remaining air-borne harpies (of those who attacked him) assumed he was dead, and pressed their attack on the other members of the party.

Edit: Realism.

[This message has been edited by Squeeky_Dragon (edited 12-04-2004 @ 06:04 PM).]

posted 12-04-04 07:02 PM EDT (US)     24 / 1371  
As the creatures drew closer, Beren immediately recognized them as harpies. Lúthien of course would recognize them as well, he knew - they were one of the creatures that she had powers to deal with. Seeing as the creatures were using darts instead of their talons, Beren set his sword where he could easily grab it and armed his bow. From cover under trees, he took a shot. One of them he hit in her wing, but Beren wondered how much damage that would cause.

Lúthien saw immediately what the creatures were, and began singing from her protected position. Honestly, she was more at odds with harpies than with giants. Several darts few in her direction, but she was well-protected by the foliage. She ended her song on a beautiful, high-pitched note, which seemed to aggravate the foul creatures. They shrieked, themselves almost musically, the pitch perfectly in tune with the elf-maiden's voice.

The harpies immediately began acting less efficiently or effectively, as if distracted or irritated or even sickened by the song. Nonetheless, they kept fighting Beren's next shaft struck one underneath the wing, and she fell screeching to the ground, the wing no longer useful for flight. He did not know how badly injured she would be, but the Dwarf with the gigantic axe should be able to make short work of her regardless. Beren took aim at another, but had to duck back as one of the harpies flung several darts at him. Lúthien saw Ayuth fall and sprinted to the direction where he plummeted, still under cover of the trees. Assuming he survived the fall, she could prevent him from bleeding to death, she hoped, but she doubted that her Music was strong enough to bring him back to the air.

OOC: Lúthien's song made the remaining harpies easier to fight, but they're not defeated yet (the final blows are up to you). Squeaky_Dragon, how badly hurt is Ayuth?

[This message has been edited by Beren V (edited 12-04-2004 @ 07:04 PM).]

posted 12-04-04 08:33 PM EDT (US)     25 / 1371  
Harpies! Just what Lighthawk had suspected, they was in range now, but he decided to wait shooting until they was too distracted by the party menders to notice his interference. This way he would ba able to kill more, than if they discovered his presence too early. Ten of the fifteen creatures went for the small dragon, so Lighthawk decided to go for those. He was carefully aiming at one of the harpies, when a cloud of fog suddenly appeared, completely blocking his view of the battle. The cloud was slowly drifting is he direction, so he would have to reposition himself before he could shoot any harpies. Lighthawk started to run and told Fenris to follow him and attack any harpy that may survive a fall to the ground.
When he got a clear view of the battle again, the dragon was already falling to the ground. Cursing he started to shoot at the harpies that had attacked the dragon. The first arrow hit one of the harpies in the back and killed it almost imminently. The second shoot was a little of because the harpy made an unexpected move. It only hit the harpy in the shoulder. That made it fall to the ground where Fenris made short work of it. The remaining harpies had now discovered Lighthawk and started to shoot darts at him. Lighthawk was prepared for that, and quickly summoned a floating disk if force (shield spell) that deflected most of the darts. Seeing that their ranged attacks was unsuccessful the harpies dived at lighthawk to attack him with their claws. He just had time kill one of the attackers with a close range shoot though the chest, before he had to drop the bow and defend himself: Using his staff and the disk of force he was barley able to keep the two creatures from hitting him, and he was soon bleating from two swallow wounds (one on the head and one on the left arm) Lighthawk was clearly in troubles, and it would soon get worse, because the disk of force would not hold forever...

Kris Lighthawk
Creator of Lighthawk's mod
posted 12-04-04 09:12 PM EDT (US)     26 / 1371  
OOC: Not horribly, Beren. Some cuts and scrapes, and one quite painful injury. That wound, though painful, is not actually that severe, long term.

IC: Ayuth seemed to dream in his unconscious state. Sometimes colors would slowly turn and fade in his mind, but sometimes there were strangely clear and sharp images of caverns with silver liquid seeping through them.

He knew not what they meant, certainly not while in hs unconscious state, but he would realize when he woke that he had had a vision.

A vision of what, he would not know for some time.

posted 12-05-04 02:57 AM EDT (US)     27 / 1371  
Lúthien ran under the cover of the trees and came up beside Ayuth's fallen form. He was breathing, at least, sending out sparks from his nostrils as he did so. Dragons!

Taking as good cover as she could, Lúthien cast a brief spell* on the Dragon with her song, as quiet as she could make it, song. Now at least the Dragon would not bleed to death, although he did not regain consciousness. Lúthien darted back under cover, hoping that the distracted and disoriented harpies would take no notice of her. But one did - one that had recognized her earlier song for what it was doing. No sooner was she under cover that a talon raked at the foliage behind which she was hiding. She pulled forth a dagger from her sleeve, but wasn't sure how much she could do to a harpy so close.

Beren had seen the harpy pursuing her, and picked up his sword and ran. He could tell what his companion was doing - healing the Dragon (a Dragon?). Well, so far it had been an ally. He had never really trusted Dragons very much, though, although perhaps now was a time to change that. The harpy continued following the elfmaiden, circling, even, although flying through the foliage would be problematic. Lúthien was stealthy enough that she was already darting for cover when the harpy realized that she had come out in the open. Nonetheless, it pounced, and raked its claw. Then it let out a piercing shriek as Beren's sword ran through it. It flailed and expired, though not before giving Beren a nasty wound from its talons on his arm and shoulder.

OOC:

*Cure Minor Wounds, if you want D&D mechanics

posted 12-05-04 04:11 AM EDT (US)     28 / 1371  
After the harpy had fallen near him, Ramsees noticed that that elf that had been traveling with them was in trouble. He said a short incantation and waved his staff in the direction of the two harpys that were attaking the elf.(OOC: this is "Unseen Servant").
Soon, one of the harpys was hit out of thin air. It hesitated, windering what to do: should it attack the visible target or the force that hit it. This short hesitation was enough for the spirit that Ramsees had summoned to make short work of it. As the harpy fell to the ground, the other lifted itself into the sky, where it thought it would be safe from the spirit.

-Kurt Cobain
My Rock Forums
posted 12-05-04 08:29 AM EDT (US)     29 / 1371  
IC: Myroj seeing 4 of the surviving (if I counted correctly) Harpies attacking a stranger with a Wolf companion, sprung to his feet and plunged his dagger into it's back. It gave an enormous screech of pain, and collapsed.

DM: The rest retreated to a safe distance, using the fog as cover from the missile weapons being aimed at them, and another fell with a Crossbow bolt in its back. Just as suddenly as the group had appeared, the three surviving Harpies flew quickly off to east, screeching in terror.

IC: Myroj, panting, looked at the newcomer, and his capable wolf.
"Hail stranger. Your aid was invaluable, but just who are you? And why do you stalk us?"
---------------------------------------
Harpy Count - 12 dead, 3 escaped.(If I am a little off, forgive me.)
---------------------------------------
OOC: - From this point on, if I place your character names in square brackets, like such [Ayuth] then the information immediately following that, will be things that only THAT character has seen/heard/noticed etc.

DM - [Roadamer][Beren][Bearclaw][Wagon Drivers][Sul]
You notice that sometime during the chaos of the battle, the old mans body had disappeared.

(What you do/who you tell with this information, is entirely up to you. But unless an unlisted character actively seeks the corpse, as an action, it will go unnoticed, until told.)

[Ayuth] Slowly rousing from the induced unconciousness, the Visions are still disorderly within your mind, yet when looking upon the Elf Maiden who was close to your fallen form, you know that somehow, the Silver Liquid from your dreams is connected to Her.

[Ramsees]You are fairly exhausted, but not quite to the point of passing out.

[Eros]Distracted by a strange cloud formation that tickles a memory, yet you cannot quite grasp it.

[Lighthawk]Your wounds are not serious, but will require attention.

=LASFS Operative #2=
posted 12-05-04 09:53 AM EDT (US)     30 / 1371  
In the confusion that followed the battle, what with the strange elf and his wolf companion appearing, no one seemed to notice that the corpse was gone -- in its entirety. No blood, no guts, not even markings in the dust were left where the old man had finally found his Maker (if there was any. Sul often doubted the existence of any ruling power).
She stepped back from the place where the old man had lain (sp?) and kept silent. Maybe the wolf had eaten him, she thought.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 46  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing » Prelude: The Giant Trilogy
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames