Please login or register

AoW1 Scenario & Campaign Design
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Comencement of Campaign Construction
posted 08-20-02 01:42 AM EDT (US)   
Now that I know what the capabilities of SmurfHero's editor really are, here's a schematic of my campaign. I will be updating this periodically.

The player is Julia, for those who don't already know.

Beginning: Search into the Valley of Wonders to find out what Meandor is up to. Julia then has to escape the ruins. If she lingers, trying to explore the Isle of Burbatak for secrets of how to foil Meandor, she returns *after* Elric has already begun assembling the Halflings. If she goes home to Aldor right away, she gets there just in time to chase Talic off the island.

If Julia gets to Aldor in time to chase Talic, she starts the Halfling Campaign, as Elric does in the original. If not, she proceeds automatically to the Halfling Army scenarios.

-You get two new spheres at the beginning of the Halfling Army maps-

In the Halfling Army maps, Julia has to lead the newly assembled army through hostile territory to the Valley of Wonders. In the meantime, she has an opportunity to assault the Isle of Burbatak, or go straight to the Valley. If she goes to the Isle, Elric is decided upon taking the Lizardman path; otherwise, there's still time for debate.

If Elric takes the Lizardman path, Julia is decided upon the Dwarves, and will eventually have to face down Elric in the Valley of Wonders (and you get to watch Julia cry all over her diary). If, however, there is room for debate, Julia will have three options: Dwarves, Lizardmen, or Frostlings? If Julia picks Dwarves, Elric will again pick Lizardmen, but he remains among the Keepers - the Dwarves are taken care of (of course, unless Julia is killed, in which case the campaign ends abruptly). If Julia chooses either Lizardmen or Frostlings, Elric goes Dwarves.

The Lizardman maps are the same maps as we're all familiar with. The Frostling maps I will make.

Eventually, this will lead to a Dwarven/Lizardman/Frostling Army phase, which is similar to the Halfling Army phase. -You get the last two spheres at this time.-

Now, as for the recurring theme of the Isle of Burbatak, where all new wizards were trained... In attacking the Isle, whether Julia does this with the Halfling, Dwarven, or Elven army, she encounters the Dragon Queen, Tiamat, who seems to intend to test the races for their ability to dominate the Elven Court.

If Julia goes Dwarves, she picks Elves/Highmen; if she goes Lizardmen, she picks Highmen/Azracs; if she goes Frostlings, she picks Elves/Azracs. Whichever, she ends up in the Valley. If she plays Elves, she has one last chance at the Isle of Burbatak before the final battle.

The Valley of Wonders: This will be a revised Valley map with all 12 races. In fact, there will be 13 races, because there will be a time limit, and if time expires, the Dragons win. The special victory condition for defeating the Dragons is control of *something* deep in the Elven Court Ruins (and it's well guarded - we're talking multiple 8-stacks of assorted level 4's). Whichever races Julia chose earlier on determines who her allies are; she *plays* Elves - that's where her loyalties truly lie.

The Final Battle: Now, inside the Elven Court Ruins, I have one last map, in which Julia and six other heroes have to face off against my Final Enemy. The identity of this enemy depends on Julia's choice of races up to this point. If she does not have to fight against Elric, and took the Isle of Burbatak, the final enemy is Tiamat (a level 5 unit that I am making with DevEd). If she did fight against Elric, the final enemy is Meandor. If she played Highmen, the final enemy is Inioch. If she played Azracs, the final enemy is Yaka (who I am leaving as a God, at least as far as Julia knows).

Now, should I spoil the endings yet?

Replies:
posted 08-20-02 02:39 AM EDT (US)     1 / 32  

Quoted from Beren V:

Now, should I spoil the endings yet?

Nooooooooooooooo!

What's your time table?

SmurfHero - Leader of the Smurf race
posted 08-20-02 01:13 PM EDT (US)     2 / 32  
Done when I get done; not sure.

Right now, I have made two of the three Halfling Army maps. I need to make the "Chasing Talic" map, all of the Azrac and Frostling maps, and I need to finish the remake of the Valley of Wonders map. I also need to make the various 'final battle' maps, but that should be easy.

As for the Halfling, Dwarf, Lizardman, Elf, and Highmen, maps, well, the Devs already provided them, so...

posted 08-22-02 08:35 PM EDT (US)     3 / 32  
Lazy scumball.

CoC (Cats of Catensine) will use Developer- made terrain and towns, just swapped around leaders.

I squee'd like a fangirl when the Frostlings were announced for AoW3. True story.
posted 08-23-02 00:31 AM EDT (US)     4 / 32  
"Lazy scumball."

Wait a sec - you just said you were doing the same thing!

posted 08-24-02 03:29 AM EDT (US)     5 / 32  
Rats

I squee'd like a fangirl when the Frostlings were announced for AoW3. True story.
posted 09-09-02 06:26 PM EDT (US)     6 / 32  
Okay, where I am right now is Aldor, and Julia is trying to clean up the mess that Talic made by killing Julia's mother. How should I introduce Elric, assume that the player already knows who Elric is, or give some more depth to him?
posted 09-09-02 07:59 PM EDT (US)     7 / 32  
Elric is only lv. 1 at the beginning of the campaign, so it sounds like he's just become a Keeper. Also, he talks about being the 'chosen' of the Keepers. That sounds to me like Julia cleaned up the mess Talic left, then met Elric and had him go to recruit her an army. That sound right to you?
posted 09-09-02 08:23 PM EDT (US)     8 / 32  
Like the music, Beren?

I'm using a bit of it too.

posted 09-16-02 06:19 PM EDT (US)     9 / 32  
The three-sphere portion of my campaign has been submitted.

It's 895 KB, so beware!

posted 09-16-02 07:11 PM EDT (US)     10 / 32  
Beren, you should include us roleplayers in the Dragon Queen's Will Quest as Heroes. That would be great! Or are we the heroes you were talking about?

[This message has been edited by Emperor_Bone14 (edited 09-16-2002 @ 07:13 PM).]

posted 09-17-02 05:57 PM EDT (US)     11 / 32  
"Beren, you should include us roleplayers in the Dragon Queen's Will Quest as Heroes. That would be great! Or are we the heroes you were talking about?"

You mean for the final battle? I'm currently thinking that the heroes are Elric, Bormac Orcbane, Nyshia, Hadlak, Devon Strongberry, and Khelan.

I was going to use you as heroes in the maps where Julia herself goes to the Isle of Burbatak...

posted 09-27-02 08:17 PM EDT (US)     12 / 32  
Beren, I downloaded the Campaign, and the second missions are both unfinished. You must have forgotten to put Julia in Searching the Ruins, or something, because all that happens is a pop-up appears saying Joseph won, and capturing the town of Escape in Westward Escape does not do anything, so there's no way to win. Besides that, they're very good, although you may want to consider getting rid of Julia's default Leadership ability and adding 5 mp's instead.
posted 09-28-02 01:34 PM EDT (US)     13 / 32  
I'll have to take a look at that map again. Thanks for the heads up!
posted 09-28-02 07:25 PM EDT (US)     14 / 32  
I just gave Angel Draco a revision of the map. It should be fixed now.
posted 10-02-02 01:39 AM EDT (US)     15 / 32  
As of the moment, I'm at a standstill. I need to know whether Inioch was good *when he was alive* or not in order to proceed.
posted 10-02-02 04:12 PM EDT (US)     16 / 32  
The 'Searching the Ruins' scenario still does not work properly.
posted 10-03-02 01:24 AM EDT (US)     17 / 32  
Okay, I think I know now what the problem is. The victory condition is to collect 300 mana crystals, and apparently Joseph does that early on. I'll have to think about the map some more; the idea is that Julia has to occupy something (a power node), and hold it for some period of time (represented by the accumulation of mana). I have to figure out how to do this while at the same time prevenating the AI from pre-empting her.
posted 10-04-02 02:51 PM EDT (US)     18 / 32  
Well, nobody's answering my "What was Inioch like" post, so I'll have to wing it. I was planning on doing some winging anyway - my campaign is supposed to be *strictly* AoW, with no AoW2 elements added, and as far as AoW can tell, Inioch was good, if perhaps a little misguided.

So, the first order of business is to find out a way in which a scenario can be designed in which Julia has to capture and hold a location for a period of time in order to win. Then, there's the Halfling maps.

posted 10-11-02 02:35 PM EDT (US)     19 / 32  
Okay, I think I fixed the problem: I set the victory condition on 2200 mana, and put two 1000 mana crystal bundles near the node you need.
posted 10-11-02 08:30 PM EDT (US)     20 / 32  
Crap. I found the problem. I have to re-do most of my opening scenarios.

In the opening scenario (and all of the other Valley scenarios), Julia is in race slot 4 ("player 4"). In the "Searching the Ruins" scenario, she's in slot 1. This means that the game, since it does not see a player faction in slot 4, assumes IMMEDIATELY that Julia is dead.

I will have to redo all of my opening maps.

posted 10-21-02 08:03 PM EDT (US)     21 / 32  
Okay, the problem is fixed. I will be uploading it in days.

*mutters something about midterms*

posted 10-26-02 00:08 AM EDT (US)     22 / 32  
Ah.

Catensine will be released as a group of 4 maps.

posted 10-26-02 01:45 AM EDT (US)     23 / 32  
Only four?
posted 07-21-03 02:29 PM EDT (US)     24 / 32  
Erm, I realize this is an old topic... but where's the campaign? I can't seem to find it.

One by one the penguins steal my sanity...
posted 07-21-03 08:23 PM EDT (US)     25 / 32  
It should be up there, but it may be a little out of date.

I've run into some writer's block about the story anyhow - the original plot that I had in mind seems to have some flaws, and I'm working on how to revamp it.

Stay tuned.

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 12-11-06 02:12 PM EDT (US)     26 / 32  
Uhm, where again is that campaign?
posted 12-13-06 07:27 AM EDT (US)     27 / 32  

Quoted from HellCold:

Uhm, where again is that campaign?

Actually, Beren hasn't finished it, but he made some maps, and then a kind of ,,trial version" of the campaign, consisting of them. You may get it here.
posted 01-01-07 02:04 AM EDT (US)     28 / 32  
Stalled is the unfortunate answer.

I'm busy working on my next carreer move.

posted 01-13-07 07:52 PM EDT (US)     29 / 32  
Er, do you need assistance of some kind from people here? I cannot offer much, except continued support for this campaign I eagerly await.

Cheers,
Lord Naismith

posted 03-06-07 09:30 AM EDT (US)     30 / 32  
Eh I guess nobody has heard from me for...like half a year? hehe. I better toss in my two cents here as well.

Beren if there's any way I can help with maps, storyline etc, just say so and I'm sure that I would do my best to help you out.

As a matter of fact I got this eagerness to resume my AoW mapmaking and post a few mapupdates for one of my own maps, maybe even post an entire new one

best regards,
Irmo

Truth is elusive to those who refuse to see with both eyes.
posted 03-20-07 01:50 AM EDT (US)     31 / 32  
Remind me by email. You may just be in luck, as my RL situation looks to be changing such that I can think about AoW again!

posted 03-20-07 02:22 AM EDT (US)     32 / 32  
This is going to be a bit offtopic but:

Yippee! Another topic/thread revived! With the hopes of another member of AoW coming back! Score another point for the rebirth of Age of Wonders! Haha!

Now, as you were gentlemen!

I still offer my help as a story kind of thinker that you can spin off ideas! ;D Glad this topic was revived for a bit, hope your life troubles lift so you can come back, O Beren V! ;D

Lord Naismith

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Scenario & Campaign Design » Comencement of Campaign Construction
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames