You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing
Moderated by ChowGuy, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Questions regarding Characters for the 'Giant Trilogy' campaign {Prelude inclusive}
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
posted 12-02-04 08:21 AM EDT (US)   
If anyone has any questions regarding anything, Out Of Character, concerning the 'campaign', please put them here, and they can be discussed.
Examples:
What spells can be cast (generally) by who.
What abilities may be available to each class.
Discussions on possible inclusions/exclusions of Racial Feats/abilities.
Keep in mind, at the moment, the 'Prelude' is not heavily D&D rules orientated. It is for everyone to get the feel of each others characters, and to see how interaction occurs.
For those who have a fair understanding of D&D should have no troubles knowing character limitations. For those of you who don't anything you have questions about, can ask here.

(Generally at this point, any mages can only cast low level spells such as Magic Missile, Identify, Chromatic Orb etc. Clerics can cast Healing(light), Aid, Sanctuary etc.) Keep in mind that Mages can only use Daggers/Wands/Staffs/Slings as melee weapons, and Clerics can use any Simple weapon (Mace/Warhammer/Flail etc) Mages may wear magical robes, no actual 'armour', and Clerics are unrestricted.

I will post some basic info here, or email anything to those requesting it, concerning basic limitations.

I can be contacted at - drow_warmage@yahoo.com.au
++Remember++ This is supposed to be FUN, and not too heavily restrictive. Don't buckle someone if they misplay their character. Just urge them in a more realistic direction. As the/a GM of the 'Prelude', if any misdirections are detected, I will help the player bring their character into a more realistic light.

Base Weapon Damage|Dmg (S)| |Dmg (M)| |Critical|

Simple Weapons

Unarmed Strikes
Gauntlet - 1d21d3x2

Light Melee Weapons
Dagger - 1d31d4x2(19-20) Dagger, punching - 1d31d4x3 Gauntlet, spiked - 1d31d4x2 Mace, light - 1d41d6x2 Sickle - 1d41d6x2

One Handed Melee Weapons
Club - 1d41d6x2 Mace, heavy - 1d61d8x2 Morningstar - 1d61d8x2 Shortspear - 1d41d6x2

Two handed melee Weapons
Longspear - 1d61d8x3 Quarterstaff - 1d4/1d41d6/1d6x2 Spear - 1d61d8x3

Ranged Weapons
Crossbow, heavy - 1d81d10x2(19-20)(120ft) Crossbow, light - 1d61d8x2(19-20)(80ft) Dart - 1d31d4x2(20ft) Javelin - 1d41d6x2(30ft) Sling - 1d31d4x2(50ft)

Martial Weapons

Light Melee Weapons
Axe, throwing - 1d41d6x2 Hammer, light - 1d31d4x2 Handaxe - 1d41d6x3 Kukri - 1d31d4x2(18-20) Pick, light - 1d31d4x4 Sword, short - 1d41d6x2(19-20)

One Handed Melee Weapons
Battleaxe - 1d61d8x3 Flail - 1d61d8x2 Longsword - 1d61d8x2(19-20) Pick, heavy - 1d41d6x4 Rapier - 1d41d6x2(18-20) Scimitar - 1d41d6x2(18-20) Trident - 1d61d8x2 Warhammer - 1d61d8x3

Two handed melee Weapons
Falchion - 1d62d4x2(18-20) Glaive - 1d81d10x3 Greataxe - 1d101d12x3 Greatclub - 1d81d10x2 Guisarme - 1d62d4x3 Halberd - 1d81d10x3 Lance - 1d61d8x3 Ranseur - 1d62d4x3 Scythe - 1d62d4x4 Two-Handed Sword - 1d122d8x2(19-20)

Ranged Weapons
Longbow - 1d61d8x3(100ft) Longbow, composite - 1d61d8x3(110ft) Shortbow - 1d41d6x3(60ft) Shortbow, composite -1d41d6x3(70ft)

Exotic Weapons

Light Melee Weapons
Kama - 1d41d6x2 Nunchaku - 1d41d6x2 Sai - 1d31d4x2 Siangham - 1d41d6x2

One Handed Melee Weapons
Sword, bastard - 1d81d10x2(19-20) Waraxe, dwarven - 1d81d10x3 Whip - 1d21d3x2

Two handed melee Weapons
Axe, orc double - 1d6/1d61d8/1d8x3 Chain, spiked - 1d62d4x2 Flail, dire - 1d6/1d61d8/1d8x2 Hammer, gnome hooked -1d6/1d41d8/1d6x3/x4 Sword, two-bladed - 1d6/1d61d8/1d8x2(19-20) Urgrosh, dwarven - 1d6/1d41d8/1d6x3

Ranged Weapons
Crossbow, hand - 1d31d4x2(19-20)(30ft) Crossbow, repeating heavy - 1d81d10x2(19-20)(120ft) Crossbow, repeating light - 1d61d8x2(19-20)(80ft) Shuriken - 11d2x2(10ft)

Range Given in brackets, -example: (100ft)- is that of non-penalized attacks. Thrown weapons may reach up to 5 times the given increment, and Ranged up to 10 times. However, each full range increment imposes a cumulative -2 penalty on the attack roll

=LASFS Operative #2=
-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. War Leader-/X\(++)/X\-

[This message has been edited by ShadowKin (edited 01-05-2005 @ 10:20 AM).]

Replies:
posted 12-02-04 11:06 PM EDT (US)     1 / 252  
I take it we are using Second Edition, then?

I am thinking of Lúthien in 3E terms, and that her "special powers" are a special type of the Perform powers (not really spells). She doesn't know enough of them to be really powerful, though (this is early in her life, before she gets Divinely powerful). This would mean that her spell list would not include the standard "Wizard" variety spells, and would actually look a bit more priestly (cure spells, for example). I generally think that the 3E spell list is more appropriate for her than the 2E Wizard list.

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign

[This message has been edited by Beren V (edited 12-03-2004 @ 00:00 AM).]

posted 12-03-04 06:34 AM EDT (US)     2 / 252  
I am willing to incorparate some 3E definitions into this, for it would also enhance the characteristics of the other classes too.

You have a large knowledge base on both D&D and RP'ing in Forum Format Beren, so I have faith in your ability to keep the balance. So feel free to be inclusive of certain abilities and/or spells found in 3E, because, realisticly, they will enhance the character. The only true thing I disliked about 3rd Edition, was the alteration of the AC, which of course, in this format, does not apply

=LASFS Operative #2=

[This message has been edited by ShadowKin (edited 12-03-2004 @ 06:37 AM).]

posted 12-03-04 03:21 PM EDT (US)     3 / 252  
well... it's simple... i would really like to know what spells i can use as a level 4 magic user... pls post as many as you cant think of....

"The intensity, the aggression, the hatred. You could just hear a lead singer scream at the top of his lungs. I felt that way. I wanted to smash things."
-Kurt Cobain
My Rock Forums
posted 12-03-04 03:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 252  
ok,we will get on that as soon as possible,but one questin are you more of a cleric or wizard type?
posted 12-03-04 04:12 PM EDT (US)     5 / 252  
i'm more of a wizard-tipe

"The intensity, the aggression, the hatred. You could just hear a lead singer scream at the top of his lungs. I felt that way. I wanted to smash things."
-Kurt Cobain
My Rock Forums
posted 12-03-04 05:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 252  
As a level 4 wizard (or sorcerer) You will be able to cast level 0,1 and 2 spells What those are you can see in this link

Kris Lighthawk
Creator of Lighthawk's mod
posted 12-03-04 06:15 PM EDT (US)     7 / 252  
Bearclaw: Lighthawk i have a question if its not to much trouble,i think the ranger recieves cleric spells at about 6-7th lvl. though im not sure.Could you give us a link on the site?For sul too because she is a cleric and she needs info as well.Thanks!
Cheers,
Zandallair Bearclaw
posted 12-03-04 06:27 PM EDT (US)     8 / 252  
That depends on edition. In 2E, the Ranger gets spells tarting at 9th from the priest list, but only those that deal with animals and plants. In 3E, the Ranger's spells start at level 4, have a totally unique spell list that mostly deals with animals and plants.

Quoted from Lighthawk:

wolf named Fenris

lol

posted 12-03-04 07:02 PM EDT (US)     9 / 252  
Spells for all classes (execpt druids)

Kris Lighthawk
posted 12-03-04 07:55 PM EDT (US)     10 / 252  
Since my level 4 dragon is multi-classed, I basically have 2 Wizard levels and 2 Fighter levels, correct? So, does that mean I can cast level 0 spells, or level 0 and level 1 spells, or level 0, 1, and 2?
posted 12-03-04 08:12 PM EDT (US)     11 / 252  
You can cast level 0 and 1 spells as a level 2 wizard.
Also, as a dragon you would probably be a sorcerer rather then a wizard (but you can still cast level 0 and 1 spells)

Kris Lighthawk
posted 12-03-04 08:22 PM EDT (US)     12 / 252  
Bearclaw:I noticed that the ranger has 1st level spells,what level do i get them?(this lvl.4th?)and if so how many do i get to pick?
posted 12-03-04 08:27 PM EDT (US)     13 / 252  
Answering Squeaky_Dragon: Dragons in D&D have innate spellcasting ability. What I would assume is that instead of being a Dragon character of fourth level, you are actually a Dragon with four hit dice (or possibly a mix of hit dice and levels). Nonetheless, you would function as a fighter/mage. In any case, your spells are inherent to being a Dragon, not to your level. As a result, you probably have some (relatively meagre) actual spellcasting, some other spell-like abilities (abilities that invoke specific spells but do not function as spellcasting), plus supernatural abilities (e.g. your breath weapon).

Answering Bearclaw: In 2E, 9th level. In 3E, 4th level (you would already have them).

posted 12-03-04 08:39 PM EDT (US)     14 / 252  
Bearclaw:Thanks Beren V, remember its been a looooooooong time since the first D&D came out.And i cant remember alot.
Then how many spells do i get to pick at 4th lvl. and do you think i should go ahead and pick them?
posted 12-05-04 07:10 PM EDT (US)     15 / 252  
As a level 4 ranger with 15 wisdom you will know and be able to cast any ranger level 1 spell, but you can only memorize 1 level 1 spell, so when you has cast that one you can't cast any more spells. You will need to rest for at least 8 hours before you memorize a new spell.

Kris Lighthawk
posted 12-06-04 10:55 AM EDT (US)     16 / 252  
ok, thanks for all your help.

-Kurt Cobain
My Rock Forums
posted 12-09-04 11:25 PM EDT (US)     17 / 252  
I am moving the Second-Edition/Third-Edition discussion here because it isn't really a tribunal, I don't think.

D&D as you know is a comercialized game, and the people who make it (a company called TSR) continually revises the rules to make play easier, more streamlined, as realistic as they can be to keep it streamlined and easy, and most of all, more fun. As a result there have been three major editions of Dungeons and Dragons. What most of the talk of this board so far has been about seems to be based on the Second Edition of these rules. The Third Edition is, well, the next edition, and it introduces a number of changes, the most important being a major overhaul of the multiclassing system and the introduction of incremental skills and feats. Right now, Third Edition is being refined, and they are currently calling the most refined version "Edition 3.5". The rules are online, but I have misplaced the link. If you want later, I can post it.

I am not familiar with Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, but from what I understand, they are modeled after Second Edition rules. For any of you familiar with Neverwinter Nights, it is modeled after Third Edition rules.

It would be possible to mesh 2E characters and 3E characters in the same game. 2E characters (and monsters) however are typically weaker in terms of their stats than 3E characters and monsters if directly converted as such, largely because of the inclusion of feats (special abilities) that 2E does not have. I personally like 3E better, although I have never liked the 3E multiclassing system for spellcasters (large-scale multiclassing of spellcasters in 3E just isn't practical). Nonetheless, 3E in my opinion is superior to 2E in so many other ways that I prefer to use 3E anyway, especially if I get to make my own classes that use skill-based magical powers (which the bard already has, for example).

posted 12-10-04 10:41 AM EDT (US)     18 / 252  
I am happy with either we go. I have played both, and I do prefer most systems of 3rd. I disliked what they did with AC, though i am sure they have their reasons...

If someone could find a link to a comprehensive, yet not too chaotic, run-down of 3rd, that would be good. Everyone who is serious about partaking in this quest,and trying a more guided form of Role-Play, will find it both fun and challenging I think.

Not to mention, I could use a dust up on 3rd. I was introduced into 2nd, and became a big fan...

---ShadowKin---

=LASFS Operative #2=
posted 12-11-04 03:05 PM EDT (US)     19 / 252  
ShadowKin, check my last post in the Prelude, will you please? I'm not really sure it's right ...

And who suggested that? Just wondering ... it's a good twist, though

I've got a gun in my hand but that gun won't cock, my finger's on the trigger but that trigger seems locked and I can't stop staring at the tick-tock clock, and even if I could I would never give up. With a vest on my chest and a bullet in my lung, I can't believe I'm dying with my song unsung. So if and when I die won't you bury me alone, because I'll never get to heaven if I'm singing this song. STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO
posted 12-11-04 07:30 PM EDT (US)     20 / 252  
Bearclaw:yes that would be good to get a link, and hopefuly
post some states and info cause we dont have accses to any of it. that way if any one needed to know about their character they could find out the info, like how many abilities?, at what level?, what special things can one do because of race or class? to bad we all just couldn't have the books.
posted 12-12-04 03:25 AM EDT (US)     21 / 252  
You can download the 3.5 pencil and paper rules at the Wizards of the Coast website (Wizards of the Coast currently owns TSR, and thus Dungeons and Dragons, so this is an official - and legal - source, if you're curious).

Speaking of which, as we are going to a more strict, mechanic-based setting, the Lúthien-ability score problem has to be solved. Right now, I am thinking of her as having very good stats, but being only second level (instead of fourth). Overall, this makes her comparable (though possibly a little weaker) than the rest of the party mechanistically, but it means that she can be smart enough to act in a thoughtful manner as well as have what it takes statistically to be an effective bard.

posted 12-12-04 08:23 AM EDT (US)     22 / 252  
Bearclaw: thanks for the info Beren, i'm starting to like the way were are running it now. you know wrighting out your characters moves the way you see it in your minds eye.
i guess what i think would be neat is if we could see the states of all the characters at the start(like we have) and then see the changes as characters grow. but i take it that it would look a little different using the 3rd ed. i guess the abilities are different for the ranger, and i would have to relearn my character all over again i guess.
posted 12-12-04 10:42 AM EDT (US)     23 / 252  

Quote:

ShadowKin, check my last post in the Prelude, will you please? I'm not really sure it's right ...
And who suggested that? Just wondering ... it's a good twist, though

I replied about this in the thread. It was a good reaction considering. Nothing wrong with it.

And I came up with the idea, names of the three Demi Gods and their areas-of-power, due to the need to bring out your character as a priest(cleric).

Concerning the rules and mechanics:

The Prelude shall remain freestyle. When I have the time however, I may actually go read up on 3rd Edition, and create the basic stats, usuing what has already been stated, of the characters. (Those who are capable of doing this themselves, may do so.) Once a basic 'character-sheet' has been generated for all party members, and accepted, then I will experiment with ways to do this within the prelude.

---ShadowKin---

=LASFS Operative #2=
posted 12-12-04 08:30 PM EDT (US)     24 / 252  
I don't think we can expect all players to read everything about the 3rd edition rules, and we need to modify those rules anyway to make them work with a forum based role-play.
I plan to make a post with a suggestion how we could make it all work, and that post would at the same time explain to all players how they need to roll and calculate attack and damage in combat.
With the possible exception of Beren, I am probably the one of us that know most about 3rd edition rules, so I suggest that I also should be the one to handle everything about character stats. That would also give ShadowKin more time to do the actual DM stuff....

Kris Lighthawk
posted 12-13-04 06:44 AM EDT (US)     25 / 252  
Good idea Lighthawk.

If you could aid in the Character generation, and tweaking of existing 3rd Edition rules, that would allow me more free reign to generate some encounters and so forth.

Considering I have NWN on my PC, I may actually use the template stats for given monsters, and implement them, once character generation is complete. I will create a basic Character Sheet for Myroj also, and will determine his stats/skills by first creating him within NWN, and leveling him up to 4.

I'll begin working on some pre-planned encounters for the RolePlay. We can continue to work out details as we go.

Also, Beren or Lighthawk (given the knowledge you both have of 3rd) in around 1 - 2 months time perhaps, I may be moving overseas, and may be gone for a while. In the event this happens, would either of you be willing to continue on with the Trilogy, as DM? (even if the prelude has finished)

=LASFS Operative #2=
posted 12-13-04 05:52 PM EDT (US)     26 / 252  
Bearclaw:this sounds great. i'm sorry i can't be of more help to you guys,by way of posting stats, charts, info and all that,but it sounds like you all know how to get it done.
i know Beren was concerned about his characters being a little stronger than the others, maybe there is a way we could bring the other characters up or something to level everything out?
posted 12-13-04 07:53 PM EDT (US)     27 / 252  
We shall see. Right now, I do not have time to do GM any more threads, certainly not this one (I don't have the module or the time to get it).

Re: my characters - I think that's been solved, if we use my proposed solution (second level with superb stats, while the rest of you are fourth level with less impressive but still above average stats). But I don't want to impose that without letting you people have a say in it, since you're playing in it, too.

posted 12-16-04 07:08 PM EDT (US)     28 / 252  
As I promised, here is my suggestion to we can use the 3rd edition D&D rules in our forum based role play.

Don't worry too much about what your characters AC, HP, damage or attack bonus is, in my next post I will provide that information.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------

Combat:

DM:
The DM needs to provide the players with the AC (armor class) HP (hit points) attack bonus, number of attacks, special abilities (if any) and damage of the enemies. He also needs to tell how much AC is modified by dexterity and the “touch AC” (how hard the enemy is to hit with touch attacks). He should also tell how many combat rounds he will allow the players to fight without DM interaction. (I think 2-3 will be best in most cases)

Players:
In the number of combat rounds the DM allows, the players can control both their own characters and the direct opponents of those characters.

In one Combat round a player can make 2 move actions, 1 move action and 1 one standard action or 1 full round action. A combat round takes 6 seconds (so a spell that last a minute will last 10 combat rounds).

Move actions: Walk 30 feet (20 in heavy armor) or run 60 feet (40 in heavy armor), loading a crossbow, pick up an item, Stand up from laying down, Draw a weapon or any similar action

Standard actions Attack once with main attack, cast a spell (some spells take a full round or longer to cast, see the spell description) drink a potion, use a wand or scroll or any similar action.

Full round actions: main attack + secondary attack(s), casting a full round spells, Total defense Coup de Grace.

Any action done when in melee range of enemies that prevent you from defending yourself will provoke an attack of Opportunity (a free attack) Examples are: Moving away from an enemy, casting a spell, using a ranged weapon, Stand up from prone, take something from your backpack and so on…

In addition to this you can also make reasonable number free actions. Free actions are anything that takes almost no time. Free actions never provoke attacks of Opportunity.

You can use a move action to safely disengage from an enemy (by moving backwards about 10 feet) but that only works if the enemy for some reason won't follow you. (Rule added for realism; replace the "5 foot step")

Who attacks first?:
If the you think your character is faster then the enemy (or has a longer weapon) let him attack first otherwise let them attack at the same time or let the enemy attack first.

Attacking:
In order to attack an opponent or make an opponent attack you will need to roll a d20 (20 sided dice, you can use Dicelab for that) and then add the attack bonus with the used weapon and any modifier that affect that attack (like a spell, bard song or combat option) if the number you get is higher than AC (modified by the factors below) of the opponent the attack is successful.

A roll of 1 always misses and a roll of 20 always hit.

Things that affect attack bonus and AC:
Some spells (read spell descriptions for details)
Flaking: If someone is attacked from 2 sides his attackers will get +2 to attack bonus.
Fighting defensively: You can choose to fight defensively in a round, that will give you + 2 to AC but also 4 to attack bonus.
Total defense: If you chose to do nothing but defend yourself in a round, you will get +4 to AC.
Some bard songs.
Helpless: anyone that can’t move (because he is asleep, unconscious, paralyzed or restrained) will suffer a -4 to AC against melee attacks and lose his dexterity bonus to AC.
Surprise attack: anyone that is surprised by an attack will lose his dexterity bonus to AC.
Blinded: -2 to AC and no dexterity bonus to AC.
Cover: Any obstacle between an attacker and his target will provide the target with a cover bonus to AC between +1 and +8 depending of how much cover the obstacle provides. (A player can decide that himself)
Concealment: If an attacker has difficulties to see his target he will have a 20% miss chance, if he can’t see the target at all he will have a 50% miss chance.
Attacker Invisible: +2 to attack bonus (only works on targets with vision)
Prone: -4 to attack bonus, -4 to AC against Melee, +4 to AC against ranged
Kneeling or sitting: -2 to attack bonus (no penalty for firing ranged Weapons) -2 to AC against Melee, +2 to AC against ranged.
Firing into melee: Ranged attacks on enemies that are in melee with friendly characters suffer a -4 to attack bonus unless the attacker has the Precise Shot feat.
Range penalty: Ranged attacks suffer a range penalty starting with -1 at 150 feet and ending with -4 at 900 feet. (I made this rule as I could find nothing about range in the D&D rules)

Damage:
When someone takes a hit, roll for damage (2d6 + 4 for example means: roll a 6 sided dice 2 times adding the results and then add 4)
Critical hits: Every weapon has a critical hit range. A long sword for example has 19-20 x 2, witch means that on an attack dice roll of 20 or 19 you will do 2 times the normal damage.

(Additional rule added for realism and flexibility)
When you get a modified attack roll that is 7 (or more) higher than what you need to hit an opponent, you can target a specific body part. You can do so to create a handicap on the opponent (like target the eyes to blind, or an arm to disarm) or you target a woundable spot to do 50% more damage than normal.

Spells:
The DM should remember to tell the players if any of the enemies has spell resistance and how much they have.

If the players understand well enough how a spell they cast works, and it is a simple spell that don’t require a saving throw to be made, the players can calculate the effects of such spells themselves (examples are: magic missile, summoning spells, many ray and touch spells and most spells cast on friends). More complicated spells that do require saving throws to be made should be left to the DM to decide the effect of (examples are: entangle, web, fire ball, bane, hold person, charm spells).

When using touch and ray spells you will need to make a touch or a ranged touch attack. This is done as normal for melee or ranged attacks, but the targets touch AC should be used instead of its normal AC. The modifiers to melee and ranged attacks listed under “Things that affect attack bonus and AC” are still in effect.
On an attack roll of 20 you will score a critical hit (for double damage) with touch and ray spells.

Skills:
I think using skills will be too complicated for many players, so every time a player do something skill related he should let the DM decide what the result is.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------

Here is an example of how all this could work in the forum

DM post:

To goblins attack Lighthawk on his scouting mission. They are 150 feet away

3 rounds of combat are allowed

Goblin 1:
AC: 15 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 leather armor, +1 light shield), touch 12
Attack: Short sword +2 melee
Damage: 1d6 Critical 19-20/x2
HP: 5

Goblin 2:
AC: 14 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 leather armor), touch 12
Attack: Short spear +2 melee
Damage: 1d6 Critical 20/x2
HP: 6

Player post:

With the goblins rushing towards him Lighthawk concentrate and cast a spell on himself, soon a force armor is surrounding his body {mage armor, AC 13 + 4 = 17}
The first is goblin {goblin 1} is closing in on Lighthawk when he cast another spell. A splash of acid hits the goblin in the eyes. {Ranged touch attack R 15 + 5 = 22 > 12 hit (8 higher) damage 2, (3 hp left)} The goblin is blinded and slows down. Lighthawk use his staff to parry a spear trust from the other goblin. {Goblin 2: attack R 13 + 2 = 15 < 17 miss} He then retaliates with a crushing blow to the goblins shoulder. {Attack R 11 + 4 = 15 > 14 hit, damage R 4 +1 = 5 (1 hp left)} The goblin screams in pain, but manages to stay on its feet. Thinking that the other goblin is out of the fight Lighthawk is surprised when the blinded goblin hit him in the stomach with a lucky trust of his sword. {Goblin 1: concealment check 50% = hit, attack R 19 + 2 = 21 > 17 hit, critical damage R 4 x 2 = 8 (Lighthawk has 22 hp left)}

Kris Lighthawk

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 12-16-2004 @ 07:10 PM).]

posted 12-16-04 07:45 PM EDT (US)     29 / 252  
Sorry I haven't been around; I have been ultra-busy.

There are two errors in Lighthawk's post.

1. Taking a five-foot step is a move action that moves you out of range of an enemy's melee attack and does not provoke an attack of opportunity. You can thus disengage a foe. However, a five-foot step when the enemy can move thirty feet is not much unless you are stepping away to hide behind a friend. The enemy can otherwise just follow you.

Quoted from lighthawk:

Thinking that the other goblin is out of the fight Lighthawk is surprised when the blinded goblin hit him in the stomach with a lucky trust of his sword. {Goblin 1: concealment check 50% = hit, attack R 19 + 2 = 21 > 17 hit, critical damage R 4 x 2 = 8 (Lighthawk has 22 hp left)}

A sword-thrust to the stomach is a fatal wound. Something which hits but is not fatal should not be described as something that would be deadly (or even incapacitating).

For this reason, I like a vitality/wounds sysetem, where characters have wound points (actual hit points), and vitality points (representing fatigue, spent luck, and minor cuts and bruises). Just about any major hit with a real weapon like a sword or spear is going to be incapacitating if not fatal. Here is an example:

Beren (17 hp) is attacked by [Goblin] with a bow. Goblin fires (16) and hits (Beren's AC is 12-14 or so). Goblin rolls (d6), rolls a 4. Beren is now at 13 hp. He certainly isn't dead, incapacitated, or even terribly wounded. Instead, he dodges the arrow, the arrow not actually making contact with his body, but the fatigue of the last-moment dodge costs him 4 hp. A few rounds later, he is at 3 hp, and takes an identical wound, and goes negative. Using the Death's Door rules (not very realistic, but hey), he falls. I also think that mandating that he should be unconscious is also unrealistic - people can be incapacitatingly wounded and bleeding to death and be quite conscious. Then somebody heals him, of course.

posted 12-16-04 08:43 PM EDT (US)     30 / 252  
Battle system sounds good to me,we just have to make sure we have our characters mapped out in the character setup for the 'dice stats'so to speak so we can all have a bearing. like the characters h.p. and etc...

[This message has been edited by Accusync72 (edited 12-16-2004 @ 08:44 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing » Questions regarding Characters for the 'Giant Trilogy' campaign {Prelude inclusive}
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames