Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing
Moderated by ChowGuy, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Giant Trilogy: Combat Simulations
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 12  Next Page »
posted 12-31-04 08:55 AM EDT (US)   
Considering the fact that larger battles will be forthcoming within the RP, I decided to have a few test runs on ways we can proceed with combat turns, in this format.
This Original post will alter over time, but for now, I ask that everyone wishing to participate in some Combat Simulations (I shall provide monster stats/No. of rounds etc.) please enlist now.
Those who do NOT wish to participate in Simulations, or any combat scenarios within the RP (involving game mechanics) also state so here.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a free Image hosting site, I will also be able to post small 'tactical maps' of the current situation, and update them as required.

(Old ones being removed when no longer applicable, if this idea sparks concern for moderators)

Current Particpating Characters:
Bearclaw - Roadamer - Beren - Luthien - Lighthawk - Eros - Tank-Man
Current Observing Characters:
Ayuth - Ramsees
------------------------------------------------------------
First Combat Simulation VS 10 Goblins and Gnoll Commander--> Victory to the party. No loss of life, or heavy casualties. All opponents were slain.
------------------------------------------------------------
Second Combat Simulation VS Group of Scrag-->Victory to the party. No loss of life, minor casualties. One opponent is considered to have escaped.

[This message has been edited by ShadowKin (edited 03-24-2005 @ 05:41 AM).]

Replies:
posted 12-31-04 09:45 AM EDT (US)     1 / 352  

Quote:

(Old ones being removed when no longer applicable, if this idea sparks concern for moderators)

Post maps as links using the tag (eg, [url=http://aow2.heavengames.com/pics/units/Draconian_Red_Dragon.gif]image) rather then embedded images, and there should be no problem. Anyone wishing to can view the image by clicking it, or Right-Click and "Save Image As..." to store a local copy. This will reduce page load times and bandwidth on whatever host you use, and obviate the need for thread maintenance.

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
posted 12-31-04 03:27 PM EDT (US)     2 / 352  
Bearclaw: i'll participate in some simulations
posted 12-31-04 05:17 PM EDT (US)     3 / 352  
So will Roadamer
posted 12-31-04 08:00 PM EDT (US)     4 / 352  
So will Beren and Lúthien.

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 12-31-04 11:01 PM EDT (US)     5 / 352  
I don't feel I have a good enough grasp of how D&D combat mechanics work, as yet, to do combat simulations. I might want to participate in combat in RP, after reading these combat sims, and reading the D&D rules, assuming they include some elements of creative writing.
posted 01-01-05 02:43 AM EDT (US)     6 / 352  
I'm sorry, but I'll preffer not to participate in the simulations and in major battles until i get the hang of this by practicing in non-important battles and reading how it's done (your posts).
Oh, a img hosting site that's perfect for what we need is tinypic.com

"The intensity, the aggression, the hatred. You could just hear a lead singer scream at the top of his lungs. I felt that way. I wanted to smash things."
-Kurt Cobain
My Rock Forums
posted 01-01-05 05:48 AM EDT (US)     7 / 352  
No problems with your suggestion ChowGuy.

I will begin creating a few different scenarios, and post them here as they become ready.

I will be taking the Character Levels into account naturally, and also any extra variables (skills/spells/etc) and try to come up with some balanced challenges, that won't be a simple stab-and-kill scenario.

Experimentation will give everyone a better feel as to how we can do this, and those not currently participating should be able to get a feel for how it works though observation.

Anyone who hasn't as yet stated their participation may still do so. The first Simulation will probably be in a couple of days. (Due to roadamers upcoming absence, the Simulations may be an ongoing thing for a while. The more Players who become familiar and comfortable with the style in which we decide to this, more options will be opened in the RP itself.

Quote:

Oh, a img hosting site that's perfect for what we need is tinypic.com

Thanks for the tip Ramsees.

=LASFS Operative #2=
-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. War Leader-/X\(++)/X\-
posted 01-01-05 04:06 PM EDT (US)     8 / 352  
I will (of course) participate too...

Kris Lighthawk
Creator of Lighthawk's mod
posted 01-05-05 09:39 AM EDT (US)     9 / 352  
The first Combat Simulations statistics will be given tomorrow night.

The battle will be considered simple, as it is a first trial. It will be involving Goblins, equipped with only Melee weapons, and an 'overlord' of my choosing, involved in the combat, against a random participating character. This will be mainly a Melee fight, but Luthien may be considered assisting Beren (which means any Melee attackers that would normally have been attacking Luthien seperately, will be aiding the ones already attacking Beren.)

I want to keep it fairly simplistic, so to see how we can trial and error our way to a comfortable system. I will give stats of each individual Goblin, and the number attacking each character involved. Roadamer, due to his absence, will be non-participating, unless he can return before it begins.

=LASFS Operative #2=
posted 01-05-05 11:29 AM EDT (US)     10 / 352  
I decided to give the stats and any further notes now, so any questions or corrections can be made if required.

(Goblins are considered Small for Damage purposes, and the Gnoll is considered Medium.)

First Combat Simulation:

Gnoll lead Goblin band VS Beren, Luthien, Bearclaw, Lighthawk and Fenris.
(HP's were rolled by HD, and not as given)

Fenris' Opponent/s:

Goblin 1:

HP's - 9
Iniative - +1
Speed - NA
Armor Class - 15 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 Leather Armor, +1 Light Shield)
Touch AC = 12 Flat Footed = NA
Base Attack/Grapple - +1/-3
Attack - Morningstar +2 (1 D6)
Saves - Fort +3, Ref +1, Will -1
Abilities - Str 11, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6
Skills - NA for this Simulation
Feats - Alertness (NA)

Goblin 2:

HP's - 4
Iniative - +1
Speed - NA
Attack - Short Sword +1 (1 D4)
Feats - Alertness (NA)

Lighthawk's Opponent/s:

Goblin 3:

HP's - 8
Iniative - +1
Speed - NA
Feats - Alertness (NA)

Gnoll Commander

HP's - 11
Iniative - +0
Speed - NA
Armor Class - 15 (+1 natural, +2 Leather Armor, +2 Heavy Steel Shield)
Touch AC = 1o Flat Footed = NA
Base Attack/Grapple - +1/+3
Attack - Battleaxe +3 (1 d8+2)
Saves - Fort +4, Ref 0, Will 0
Abilities - Str 15, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 8
Feats - Power Attack (Will only use in this scenario, once death is imminent.)

Bearclaw's Opponent/s:

Goblin 4:

HP's - 6
Iniative - +1
Speed - NA
Feats - Alertness (NA)

Goblin 5:

HP's - 9
Iniative - +1
Speed - NA
Feats - Alertness (NA)

Goblin 6:

HP's - 4
Iniative - +1
Speed - NA
Feats - Alertness (NA)

Beren's Opponent/s:

Goblin 7:

HP's - 7
Iniative - +1
Speed - NA
Feats - Alertness (NA)

Goblin 8:

HP's - 5
Iniative - +1
Speed - NA
Feats - Alertness (NA)

Luthien's Opponent/s:

Goblin 9:

HP's - 4
Iniative - +1
Speed - NA
Feats - Alertness (NA)

Goblin 10:

HP's - 8
Iniative - +1
Speed - NA
Feats - Alertness (NA)

Iniative Rolls: The first turn of combat is considered the Monsters Iniative. (if this proves troublesome, we will evaluate the battle afterwards anyway)
After the first round, Iniative is to be rolled seperately for each group; ie: Lighthawk's Goblin + Gnoll roll seperate to Beren's Goblins. Only the one Iniative roll is required per group of Monsters, with the higher Iniative bonus being used. (Only applicable to Lighthawk, in which case the Gnoll will receive the +1 Iniative bonus granted by the Goblin, since it is a group Iniative.)

The Goblins will fight to the death, aslong as the Gnoll commander lives. If the Gnoll falls in battle, every turn thereafter, each Goblin upon their turn, must make a Will Saving Throw with DC set to 15. If passed successfully, they will continue that turn as normal. If failed they will attempt to flee, granting the character currently engaging them an Attack of Opportunity.

If a Character finds themselves without an opponent (having slain theirs) they can opt to assist another character in their battle.

To begin with it will be 2 Combat rounds for the player to dual out, and report results. At which time, any further adjustments/notes will be made.(I will await until all 3 Players have finished the combat rounds for all 5 Characters)

Feel free to incorporate a descriptive text with your results, to aid in the story based encounter. (And please, not just 'I hit the Goblin, dealing small damage, and was struck back'. Be as creative as you can be, and keep in mind the rolls made, and how close you/they were to hitting or scoring a critical hit/miss.

In this instance, if a Goblin or the Gnoll should ever roll a 1, scoring a critical miss, as an ataack roll, consult the following:

Roll 1 x D4

[1]The Attacker has swung wildly, and in the attempt to strike, has let their grasp of the weapon slip, and it is considered dropped. To pick it up (which a Monster in this battle will attempt on a 1-3 on a D6) will grant an Attack of Opportunity (free shot).
[2-3]The attacker strikes their opponent, but seeing the blow seemingly cause no damage, they are considered dumbfounded, and will miss their next round.
[4]The attacker physically trips over their own feet, inflicting 1 x D2 damage to themselves, and offering their opponent an Attack of Opportunity.

Attacks of Opportunity may only be taken if the Character is not currently fighting three or more opponents. If the Character is only facing the one opponent who presented the Attack of Opportunity, then the Character may have two such attacks.

Keep in mind this is trial and error, and do not worry too much if your character should 'die'. I am getting a feel for things with such mecahincs in this format, as would everyone else i would think. Be honest with your Die Rolls, and be true to the concept of the battle. I will give any special behaviours/moral checks etc as needed, so be creative, keep it real, and we may be able to get this system to work in time.

=LASFS Operative #2=

[This message has been edited by ShadowKin (edited 01-05-2005 @ 11:39 AM).]

posted 01-05-05 05:19 PM EDT (US)     11 / 352  
Surprised by the sudden attack, Lighthawk just managed to jump away from the swing of the Gnoll's axe {9+3=12 < 13}, and at the same time block the goblin's short sword with his staff {9 +1=10 < 13}. Jumping back towards the Gnoll that was still out of balance because of its missed swing, Lighthawk managed to land a crushing blow {15+4=19 > 15} on the Gnoll's head. The blow was almost enough to knock the Gnoll unconscious {6+2=8} but somehow it managed to stay on its feet {3 hp left}

At the same time Fenris was attacked by two Goblins. By jumping straight for the throat of one goblin, he avoided the attack of the other {11+1=12 < 14}, but he took a hard blow from the morningstar of the goblin he jumped at {16+2=18, 6 dam 16 hp left}. The blow deflected Fenris somewhat, but he still managed to get a hold x10} With a scream of pain and shock the goblin was dragged to the ground where he quickly lost consciousness {-1 hp}

OOC: Initiative rolls: Goblin 3/Gnoll commander 13+1=14, Goblin 1 and 2 13+1=14, Lighthawk 17+3=20, Fenris 2+2=4

Before the Gnoll had any time to recover, Lighthawk followed up with a quick second blow to its head {18+4=22 > 15, 2+2=4 dam}, and this time the Gnoll fell like a fallen log {-1 hp}. With his attention on the Gnoll, Lighthawk was only partly able to avoid a sword trust from the goblin {13+1=14 > 13} so he got a shallow wound along his ribs {3 dam, 21 hp left}.

Fenris still had his jaws in the shoulder of the first Goblin when the second Goblin jumped in and tried to cut his head of. Fenris managed to partly avoid the attack {13+1=14 = 14}, but he did get a shallow wound on the side of his head {3 dam, 13 hp left}. The reckless attack had left the goblins defenses wide open so fenris jumped in {20 critical hit!} and ripped his throat out {(5+2)x2=14 dam, goblin 2 is dead}.

OOC: Lighthawk and Fenris has been very lucky so far, normally they would not do so well, especially not when lighthawk has no chance to cast any spells.

Kris Lighthawk

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 01-05-2005 @ 05:42 PM).]

posted 01-05-05 09:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 352  
"OOC" comment: No opportunity for tactics? Beren and Lúthien (Lúthien especially) aren't going to do very well, then. Oh well, this is just simulation; the whole point is to test the combat mechanics.

Are we flat-footed, btw? Since you did not say so, I assume the answer is "no."

Also, remember that when flanked, you lose your Dex bonus to AC and the attacker gets a +2 to hit (this is why I am sure Lúthien in particular will go down quite quickly). I will consider us not flanked in the first round (the Goblins have to circle first).

"IC" simulation:

{Initiative:

Goblin 7....21 (20+1)
Goblin 8....7 (6+1)
Goblin 9....10 (9+1)
Goblin 10...11 (10+1)
Beren.......20 (18+2)
Lúthien.....13 (8+5)}

The appearance of ten goblins and a gnoll seemingly out of nowhere, and catching all of them off guard would have tipped Lúthien off that this was some spell of Thű's that allowed them to do this.

Beren had time only to sweep out his sword before two of the smaller Orc-kin charged him. The first one lashed out a spike-mace at Beren's midsection, but he jumped back before it came too close (8 + 2 = 10 < 15), while at the same time swinging his sword for a slash at the smaller of the two, who moved in and lashed out a short sword at the Adan. Beren caught the blade x 12 < 15).

Upon seeing the agile creatures, Lúthien wished she were far enough away to use her bow. She drew out two daggers, figuring that she would be more accurate throwing the things than using her sword. One dagger would be for parrying, and preventing the little orcs from nailing her while drawing her other knife. Nonetheless, she did not expect to survive this fight.

The first Goblin swung his short sword at Lúthien's gut, but she smoothly sidestepped him (10 + 2 = 12 < 15), but the second whipped a small morningstar about her back and caught her gown, x 15; 2 damage; 2 left). The other goblin moved to strike, but a quick jab with the other dagger discouraged that attack. That other dagger also prevented the goblin from attacking as she drew a third dagger to replace the one thrown.

[Round 2. Henceforth, I will take in order of initiative roll, not always "monsters first".]

Beren watched as the first goblins swung wildly with its mace (2 + 2 = 4), and then lashed out his blade at the creature (6 + 4 = 10), but the goblin simply ducked. The second goblin, now behind Beren, stabbed with its short sword (15 + 4 = 19), forcing him to bring his shield back quickly to avoid being impaled, and throwing himself off balance in the process (3 damage; 17 left).

Lúthien made one desperate throw at the sword-armed goblin (10 + 6 = 16), her desperation perhaps giving her the coordination she needed, as the dagger buried itself into the creature's throat (3 damage; -1 hit points). The creature gurgled and caughed up blood as it sank to the floor. She barely had time to turn as the other one wrapped his morningstar at her midriff, but did so so inexpertly that she merely stepped to the side, and the lethal ball of iron killed only thin air (3 + 4 = 7 < 10). Lúthien began to hope that she might be alive in a minute after all.

posted 01-06-05 07:05 AM EDT (US)     13 / 352  
Whilst we wait until Bearclaw is able to conduct his two rounds, a few questions and notes.

Firstly, I understood your concern about Luthien Beren, and normally it would be highly unlikely of her being forced into such a melee fight. But as you noted, it is only a Simulation. And unless stated otherwise, in Combat situations the party is never considered flat-footed.

Also, I know that you both have a greater understanding than most, even me at this stage, of 3E rules. And due to this fact, I would like feedback on how you thought the Combat was presented, and if I could have done more, or less, if it was required?

Also, after Bearclaw has conducted his two rounds, I will give the results of the Will Saves for each surviving Goblin.

At this time, no longer involved in the battle are:

Goblin 1(Bleeding Out)
Goblin 2(Dead)
Gnoll Commander(Unconcious)
Goblin 9(Bleeding Out)

(Is it at -3, -5 or neither that one is considered 'dead'?)

Fenris is now free to aid another party member.
Once Bearclaw has finished his two rounds, I will give Will Save results, and Rounds to be fought.
To keep things simplified, I will say this ahead of time.
If Fenris aids Lighthawk against his remaining Goblin, and Beren, Luthien and Bearclaw are still considered occupied by their own opponents, then the rounds will be 2 once more. If Fenris aids another party member (Luthien for example) then we will proceed with One Combat round, and Fenris must state which Opponent (the number) he is attacking, so to offer the Character he is aiding to concentrate on another opponent. If Fenris states whom he is attacking, and the Character wishes to attack the same target, we will have to proceed with an Order of Battle(which will slow things up.) So at this stage, I would recommend that Fenris states his target, and the person he is aiding, makes their attack at another target, so Fenris may assume the combat responsibilities of the new target.

Fenris = being a 'freed up' Character in any combat situation.

Feel free to discuss things further here, as we await for Bearclaws rounds.

=LASFS Operative #2=
posted 01-06-05 08:19 AM EDT (US)     14 / 352  
-10 hp = dead

Fenris will be aiding Lighthawk first, but they may only need one round to take down the last goblin, should that be the case, they will likely aid Lúthien if she still needs help. I will just wait with their last round until the others have acted and then make them attack whatever enemy that are left. Should goblin 3 flee then things get more complicated...

Kris Lighthawk
posted 01-06-05 10:32 PM EDT (US)     15 / 352  
Bearclaw:sorry about the delay--RL and all

goblin rolls
#4~16+2=18,hit
#5~3+1=4,miss
#6~14+1=15,miss

Bearclaw rolls, using cleave if opportunity comes
6+11=17,hit....Cleave roll,3+11=14,miss "crap". i think thats how it works?

the goblins caught them all off guard and Bearclaw curses at himself for letting the little beast get the upper hand. responding to the attacking weapons,Bearclaw brings his huge blade around and perries off two attacks,his blade just catching the morningstar,which ran down his blade and caught his shoulder(4 damage).Bearclaw still angered at his unreadyness and at the landed blow counts off a patterned attack.
Bearclaw..swinging his claymore out of the perry and back around at the goblin holding the morningstar *thinking to himself..thats the last foe your weapon will hit*blasting right through the goblin(8+10=18 damage)killing it and continuing to the next one in line.
The remaining two goblins amazed at the speed of the returning blade stepped back quickly to avoid the death blow.

round 2
goblins roll-they have first swing
#5~12+1=13,miss
#6~15+1=16,miss
Bearclaw rolls using cleave if opportuninty comes
17+11=28,hit.....cleave roll,9+11=20,hit

the goblins...seperating with one trying to get behind the huge foe,the flanking goblin swings, but Bearclaw simply makes a half-turn side step,keeping them both to his front (with sword already swinging down)toward the goblin which had made a reaching stab attack at the same time it took its step backward,throwing it off balance.

Bearclaw already into his attack, swings down...half-turn..3-9 as he finishes the memorised pattern,slicing through the off balance goblin(2+10=12 damage)killing it letting the rotation and weight of the sword continue around taking the head off of the last goblin flanking him(10+10=20 damage)
Bearclaw...with his sword arm at his side spins and rotates his sword as he takes a step back and looks to see if the others were in need of help.

all 3 dead.

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me
Into darkness, into night, amongst the shadows we shall fight!
-/X\( ++ ) /X\-L.E.D.- Hand of Malice-/X\( ++ ) /X\-

[This message has been edited by Accusync72 (edited 01-06-2005 @ 10:42 PM).]

posted 01-07-05 11:42 AM EDT (US)     16 / 352  
EDIT:

Current Situation.

Goblin 1(Bleeding Out)
Goblin 2(Dead)
Gnoll Commander(Unconcious)
Goblin 9(Bled Out)
Goblin 4(Dead)
Goblin 5(Dead)
Goblin 6(Dead)

Leaving:
Goblin 3 Will Save - 16|16 - Pass
Goblin 7 Will Save - 10<15 - Fail
Goblin 8 Will Save - 7<15 - Fail
Goblin 10 Will Save - 14<15 - Fail

DM:

Three of the remaining Goblins, seeing their leader crumple to the ground, shriek in terror, and turn to flee the fight, uncaring about their fallen companions. The fourth, had its dark eyes locked on Fenris, and was too enraged to notice the Gnolls fall.
The Goblin whose throat had been mangled by Luthiens knife falls silent, <8 bleed out damage> and the unfortunate who had been ripped apart by Fenris' vicious assault continues to bleed upon the already blood-soaked dirt. <1 bleed out damage>
The Gnoll remains silently unconcious upon the ground.(DC of 16 to awaken, VS Fort - Fail (11 + 4 = 15<16).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Luthien receives an Attack of Opportunity as Goblin 10 turns to flee.
Beren receives an Attack of Opportunity at either Goblin 7 or Goblin 8 as they, following their companions example, turn to flee.
Bearclaw and Lighthawk receive an Attack of Opportunity at Goblin 7 or Goblin 8as they flee, if they survive Beren's Attack of Opportunity.
Goblin 10 has fled away from Bearclaw and Lighthawk, but should it survive Luthiens Opportunity, then Fenris may run him down. (If he manages to slay Goblin 3 in the first round.) Lighthawk may opt to also attack Goblin 3.

=LASFS Operative #2=

[This message has been edited by ShadowKin (edited 01-08-2005 @ 11:24 AM).]

posted 01-07-05 09:16 PM EDT (US)     17 / 352  
Bearclaw:*seeing goblins still standing around Beren and Lethien he heads toward them ready to attack.*

OOC;if Luthien swings first and kills the goblin Bearclaw will aid Beren. if the goblin swings first or gets an attack at Luthien,Bearclaw will attempt to kill it before it gets a chance to swing. i dont know if this is, not enough info,or to much info, because i dont know if Luthien will kill the goblin or not. but Bearclaw will try to save any party memeber in danger. i appologise if i am not following how to correctly aid another party memeber,without intruding on their kills.

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me
posted 01-08-05 11:27 AM EDT (US)     18 / 352  
Beren and Luthien are required to conduct one round (Attacks of Opportunity) first, and Lighthawk and Fenris may conduct one round against Goblin 3 if they are both attacking him. Bearclaw may opt to attack (as an opportunity) one of the Goblins fleeing Beren (the one Beren himself does not attack.)

=LASFS Operative #2=
posted 01-09-05 02:10 AM EDT (US)     19 / 352  
Comment: Both B&L get a normal attack as well as an attack of opportunity against all but Goblin 7, since they also have higher initiative.

Beren noted as the morning-star armed goblin [#7] facing him suddenly shrieked and turned. Beren lashed a sword swipe [18 + 4 = 22 *hit* 2 + 3 = 5 damage, 2 hp left], catching the creature's armor and probably damaging it, certainly fatiguing the goblin, but likely not actually injuring it. But as he brought his sword for a second strike on the goblin still facing him, Beren realized that there was blood on the blade - he had done more than just damage its armor.

The other goblin seemed to cower, raising its sword in an attempt to parry. Beren bore his shield against it and wrapped his sword down the creature's back [19 + 4 = 23 *hit* 8 + 3 = 11 damage, -6 hp), slicing his blade into the creature's kidneys, spilling its guts behind it as it fell to the ground.

Lúthien, still with her left-hand dagger directed at the other morning-star-armed goblin, drew yet anothe dagger from her belt and threw it at the creature's face [14 + 6 = 20 *hit* 4 damage, 4 left]. There was a satisfying gurgle as the knife lodged itself in the creature's jaw. Seemingly dismayed, it suddenly turned its back and fled! Lúthien prayed thanks for her luck, and lashed out with her remaining dagger as it fled [19 + 1 = 20 *threat* 3 + 1 = 4 *threat fails* 2 damage, 2 left], piercing its armor and jabbing into its shoulder as it ran.

Both Beren and Lúthien dropped their sword and dagger and drew their respective bows.

posted 01-10-05 10:35 AM EDT (US)     20 / 352  
Lighthawk made a quick jab with his staff (18+4=22) and hit the last goblin in the stomach (1+2=3 damage, 5 hp left) The pain made the goblin make a wide swing (2+1=3) that was easy for Lighthawk to avoid. At the same time Fenris circled behind the goblin and attacked (6+4+2=12) but the goblin had seen him and blocked with his shield.

OOC: at this point Bearclaw will have a chance to attack the goblin, then Lighthawk will make his second attack...

Kris Lighthawk

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 01-10-2005 @ 10:38 AM).]

posted 01-10-05 09:20 PM EDT (US)     21 / 352  
Bearclaws roll 5+11=16,hit

*as Bearclaw approches he sees Beren smoothly swinging his sword rapidly killing his foes, as well as Lighthawk and the wolf working together in harmony. Luthien, with her daggers buried in goblins on the ground,he knew they had things well under control.But one turns to flee,bleeding from its side.Bearclaw chuckles to himself....thats probably the wises move its made,as he swings down his sword and cuts off the hand that was desperatly trying to keep its life blood from leaving its body(7+10=17 damage)it topples to one side in pain,then falls to the ground motionless.(dead)

posted 01-11-05 06:42 PM EDT (US)     22 / 352  
OOC: seems like Lighthawk and Fenris has used up all their luck...

Goblins will save: 17-1=16 success

Lighthawk made another quick jab with his staff, but the goblin had anticipated that and parried with his sword (3+4+2=9, miss). The goblin made another stab at lighthawk's chest and again Lighthawk barely escaped death (18+1=19, hit) and received another swallow cut along his ribs (4 damage, 17 hp left) . With surprising speed and agility the goblin then turned and blocked another attack from Fenris (6+4+2=12, miss).

Kris Lighthawk
posted 01-12-05 07:51 AM EDT (US)     23 / 352  
Body Count:

Goblin 1(Bled Out) -8 Bleed Out damage
Goblin 2(Dead)
Gnoll Commander(Moaning upon the ground) (O HP - passed Awaken check 16 + 4 = 20 >16)
Goblin 9(Bled Out)
Goblin 4(Dead)
Goblin 5((Dead)
Goblin 6((Dead)
Goblin 7(Dead)
Goblin 8(Bleeding Out)

Leaving:
Goblin 10(Fleeing)
Goblin 3 (Still battling Lighthawk and Fenris)

--------------------------------------------------------

Order of Battle:

Beren and Luthien, having drawn their bows may commence a round of missile combat. If the Goblin should somehow manage to survive the attacks, you may commence another round of missile attacks, with the distance extended to 70 feet.

Bearclaw if he chooses, can attack Goblin 3, aiding Lighthawk and Fenris, or finish of the Gnoll which is beginning to stir on the ground. (May only attack the Gnoll if a Spot Check with DC 16 is passed)

Lighthawk and Fenris may attack either the remaining Goblin[#3] or the Gnoll commander (depending on which is still alive after Bearclaws round.)

--------------------------------------------------------

DM:
The Gnoll who was only moments ago laying motionless, begins to stir, and moans in a deep growl, awakening from its unconcious state. The Goblin facing off against Fenris and Lighthawk had a wicked gleam in its eyes as it continued its assault, too engaged to realize, or care, the fate of his fellows. The Goblin who had opposed Luthien [#10] continues to run from the battle scene, screaming mercy cries in the tongue of the Goblins.

=LASFS Operative #2=
posted 01-12-05 04:17 PM EDT (US)     24 / 352  
Beren aimed his shortbow as he moved into a flanking position and launched a shot at the goblin still battling Lighthawk [17 + 7 = 24, -4 for firing into melee and +2 for flanking = 22 *hit* 5 damage]. He caught the goblin in the back of its neck, the arrow injuring its spine as it sagged to the ground [0 hp left].

Satisfied that the remaining fighting goblins were incapacitated, Lúthien aimed her arrow at the one fleeing (15 + 6 = 21; not that it matters as Lúthien would hit anyway, but the fleeing goblin would lose its dodge bonus to AC). She caught the creature in the neck, her barbed arrow tearing its arteries as it pierced forward through its throat. Clutching its bleeding neck, it crumpled to the ground [-3 hp left].

posted 01-12-05 10:44 PM EDT (US)     25 / 352  
Bearclaw:spot check 10 failed

posted 01-13-05 09:58 AM EDT (US)     26 / 352  
OOC: Being reduced to 0 hp only make a monster disabled. Quote from 3E rules:

Quote:

DISABLED (0 HIT POINTS)
When your current hit points drop to exactly 0, you're disabled.
You can only take a single move or standard action each turn (but not both, nor can you take full-round actions). You can take move actions without further injuring yourself, but if you perform any standard action (or any other strenuous action) you take 1 point of damage after the completing the act. Unless your activity increased your hit points, you are now at –1 hit points, and you're dying.
Healing that raises your hit points above 0 makes you fully functional again, just as if you'd never been reduced to 0 or fewer hit points.
You can also become disabled when recovering from dying. In this case, its a step toward recovery, and you can have fewer than 0 hit points (see Stable Characters and Recovery, below).

So being reduced to 0 hp wouldn't make the goblin fall....

Beren's arrow was clearly causing the goblin great pain and it seemed that it could fall at any time. Just to make sure it did, Lighthawk bashed on the side of its head, (10+4+2=16, hit) making a satisfying cracking sound doing so (2+2=4 damage, -4 hp).
Fenris had noticed that the Gnoll has began to move, and a quick bite at its throat (15+4+2=21, hit) to make sure that it would stay dead this time. The gnoll's thick skin resisted fenris' bite surprising well, but fenris did enough damage to send the gnoll bleeding back towards dead (1+2=3 damage, -3 hp left).

Kris Lighthawk
posted 01-13-05 04:05 PM EDT (US)     27 / 352  
Oops, I guess I didn't see this thread here. Eros can take something, sure.

I'm ready.

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.
posted 01-13-05 04:43 PM EDT (US)     28 / 352  
I currently know ~0 about D&D mechanics, so I'd probably better participate in the next simulation.
posted 01-13-05 06:19 PM EDT (US)     29 / 352  
Bearclaw:OOC?question,why would their be a need to have someone make a check to see if they see someone on the ground making noise? when the fighting is over, normaly you then search the bodies, you just walk around and look, right. or were you figuring we were still in melee combat therefore a check was needed?

posted 01-14-05 06:46 AM EDT (US)     30 / 352  
At the time I called for the check, Bearclaw was considered 'evaluating' the situation. Because there were still Goblins standing, I called the check, simply to see whether or not you noticed the Gnoll stirring or not.

Honestly, I have no idea how this would have fit into the scheme of the rules, but I thought such a check, considering that you were left with only the Gnoll and a Goblin, was acceptable. The Gnoll being on the ground, the failed check basically assumes that Bearclaw presumed the Gnoll already dead, or dying, and not worth his attention.

Regarding the 0 HP - Thanks for the info Lighthawk. I was unsure at what point someone was considered downed. But as with any given situation, creative and realistic thinking, could yield a multitude of results.

Eros will be involved in the next Simulation. Tank-Man, would probably be best served observing, unless Dvorak chooses still to participate, after seeing how this one went.

-------------------------------------------------------

Body Count:

Goblin 1(Bled Out)
Goblin 2(Dead)
Gnoll Commander(Bleeding Out -3 HP)
Goblin 9(Bled Out)
Goblin 4(Dead)
Goblin 5(Dead)
Goblin 6(Dead)
Goblin 7(Dead)
Goblin 8(Bled Out) -6 Bleed Out Damage
Goblin 3 (Bleeding Out -4 HP)
Goblin 10(Bleeding Out -3 HP)

All threats are incapacitated, and the battle is as good as over, with no threats remaining.
The enemies currently bleeding out are considered dispatched, and the involved characters are victorious.

As an after-battle discussion, I have only one real question:

How do you all think the mechanics of this went? It was assuredly not straight to the rules, but I imagine, realisticly, this was expected and acceptable.

My concern was that without the rule books, and extensive first-hand knowledge myself, things may get mistaken or unruly. But I am fairly confident we all can find ways of settling this in the future.

=LASFS Operative #2=

[This message has been edited by ShadowKin (edited 01-14-2005 @ 07:03 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 12  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing » Giant Trilogy: Combat Simulations
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames