Moderated by ChowGuy, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Missing Idol Annada Roleplay Recruitment/OOC
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 10-01-05 02:57 PM EDT (US)   
*Wishes Elurin were still around*

This is the first roleplay I am running in my new world, Annada. I intend it to be fairly short, but I do intend to have a sequel in which characters introduced in this one will be used later.

The city of Tamalchia in the continent of Amlara - for over a milennium, this city has been under the protection of Siredendum, the Lord of Stone, the great Golden Archmage of central Amlara. Under the protection, that is; Siredendum does not rule the city, nor its surrounding lands. Siredendum is ruled by the Ecleth Dynasty and has for four hundred years, after Yugarin dynasty before it failed. Siredendum shields the city from the other great Archmages and the hostile followers of Dragons and Titans. Ever his idol stands upon the dome of the great Cathedral, where all the churches of the Gods of Good Powers so named by the Archmage practice their rites. Ever the idol watches over the city, reminding invaders of the Archmage's power.

Until now.

It was said to have happened in broad daylight. The idol was there in the morning. It was said that none could move it, not the strength of a thousand men. But then somebody noticed it was no longer there. A flurry of questions now run through the city streets and amid the chapels and temples of the Titans and the Dragons. Who could have done such a thing? How? For what purpose? Is Archmage Siredendum still able to protect Tamalchia? What will happen to the city if he cannot? Will the Prince do anything about it? What can he do? What about the priests in the Cathedral?

And, for what reason was the Lord of Stone interested in Tamalchia in the first place?

It was the day after the idol had vanished. In the city square before the palace, many people gathered to hear Prince Mealin Ecleth address the masses in this time of seeming crisis. Elsewhere, patrons of the Tavern of the Golden Chalice looked up in shock to see the mysterious wandering swordsman known as Taublin the Blue enter, accompanied by a woman bearing the emblems of the following of the Starlit Lady, the Archmage guardian of the Sycamore Coast in western Amlara. In two different rooms in the Cathedral, monks and nuns of Yomûrak, the Golden Titan of Order, and of Thinliara, the Silver Dragon of the Mountains, convene to discuss the hidden passages that lie beneath the city.

And less than a week away, the army of King Emjir of Suzaria marched north to Tamalchia, and to war.

You need to give a look to my thread about Annada before you can join. In order to play, you need to post your name, race, sex, alignment, skills/attributes, background, appearance, inventory, clothing, and where in the city you plan to be when the game starts (you must be in the city). Your motives, apart from your alignment and what is revealed in your background, are your own. I would like some statistical measure of your capabilities since I intend to use game mechanics for future Annada roleplays; however, for this game, they are optional, due to the extreme challenge of balancing the Golden and Silver powers for gameplay.

A few notes:
-The population of Tamalchia, including the royal family, are predominantly Mithatani, but other races are common enough that nobody will look askance at you if you are of another race. The population of the Sycamore Coast is almost entirely Calatani. King Emjir is Mithatani, but his army is composed of a mix of Mithatani and Moratani. Sedendum is thought to be Mithatani; the Starlit Lady appears to be Calatani. Taublin the Blue is Calatani, as is his companion.
-Followers of specific Gods (Titans or Dragons) can be granted powers by their deities. These powers are usually fairly specific to the portfolio of the Titan or Dragon. Feel free to create your own Gods. The Titans generally embody societal or "demihuman" phenomena, while the Dragons embody things in nature, but both overlap (e.g. love, death), and there can be both a Dragon and a Titan of the same given quality. Include the alignments of each God you create.
-Tamalchia is situated in plains, but there is woodland to the west which eventually rises into mountains that run along the Sycamore Coast, about a month's travel away. There are closer mountains, the foothills about three days away (and thus plainly visible from Tamalchia), to the northeast; the highest peak is Teclecorn (6,741 m). Suzaria is a kingdom to the south, its borders are (very) loosely defined. The lattitude of Tamalchia is 38 degrees North, roughly the lattitude of Sicily (but its climate is more like France, due to the fact that Annada is in a full ice age).
-The Silver Power is generally better at healing than the Golden Power, but both are capable of it.
-In D&D terms, you should be thinking around 2nd-3rd level for the power of your character. There is nothing however to keep you from combining skills and powers (e.g. armsmanship, magic, Divinely-granted powers, etc.).
-Present time on Arda is the year 2219 of the Second Age.
-The technology in this part of the world should be thought of China circa the year 1100, i.e. nearly all "medieval" technologies, including gunpowder, have been developed, but the gun itself has not.

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign

[This message has been edited by Beren V (edited 10-01-2005 @ 03:39 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-05-05 00:00 AM EDT (US)     1 / 200  
zargen isn't planning on joining this one, Beren.

I'm posting my first choice of character, but if we can have two per player I'd like to add a second.

I went ahead and made up some additional history for Tamalchia; if any of it won't work, let me know.

Name: Balador Yugarin

Race: Mithatani

Sex: Male

Alignment: Yellow

Skills\Attributes: Superior strength(build and raw physical power) and constitution(health), average dexterity and agility, good intelligence, great willpower. Skilled brawler and intimidater, adept of the Golden Power, literate, well-educated. Has been instructed in swordfighting, but has not recently exercised those skills. Is particularly adroit at acquiring things and information he should not have access to (usually through others, not by himself) and organizing and leading others beneath him.

Background: Balador is a descendant of the dethroned Yugarin dynasty, which was nearly wiped out when they were overthrown by the Ecleths four hundred years ago. An heir of the Yugarins survived, but bereft of military support or widespread popularity among the nobles and peasants alike, could not reclaim the throne. The surviving heir was forced to flee the city with what wealth and heirlooms of his family he could, to Suzaria, and spent the rest of his days in exile. In the years since, the Yugarins descended from him have never forgotten their true home, and several managed to secretly return, carving positions for themselves in the lawless element of the city with coin and sword while masquerading as the distant relations of various sympathetic (or greedy) noble families. Under the Yugarins' subtle guidance, organized crime has taken definite shape in Tamalchia. The Yugarins certainly have the resources to earn a place in the city legitimately, but they still feel that the throne rightfully belongs to them, and that connections in low places would be useful should the Ecleths display some weakness. Also, there is the simple fact that such connections are profitable.

Balador is the eldest son of five children of one of these Yugarin thief bosses (Dorandar [62 years old], now a widower, having inherited the estate of his late wife Lady Calabriel Gethwine) with two older sisters (Gadhwen [36 years old], married to Lord Aeranor Darondhel, and Calana [33 years old], married to Lord Beow Senethon), one younger sister (Maelin [24 years old], unmarried), and a younger brother (Aranor [20 years old], unmarried).

The only person in his immediate family to have inherited the famous Yugarin stature, Balador grew up with the finest luxuries his family's coin could buy. He also had the particular favor of his father, which earned him the envy of his siblings. While he is a recognized member by blood of high society, his family's connections with the lowest of the city simultaenously give him status and influence with many rogues and thieves. He was Reinstated in his family's fashion as a coming-of-age ceremony, discovering the memories of a man who dwelt in a great city by the sea called Umbar, peopled with strange lords who had dark hair and grey eyes. Balador found a talent for the Golden Power in his past self's intellectual nature, as well as a raging inner fire that fuels his bravery and courage.

Balador is eminently practical, and is not afraid to do his own dirty work, though if he does it is rarely out of a desire to prove himself. He is well-practiced in controlling the rogues placed under his guidance by the family, contributing a steady flow of ill-gotten coin to his family. He has recently given over this management task to his brother Aranor, however, ostensibly because the younger man needs the practice but more because of the twinges of conscience the job gave him. He is secure in his beliefs, however; the Yugarins are the true heirs of the Tamalchian crown, and his faith to the patron god of his family, Yugar the Golden Titan [alignment: Yellow, espouses self-reliance, pride, the superiority of noble blood, and (to a lesser degree) vengefulness], is steadfast. At the time of the disappearance of the Lord of Stone's Idol, however, Balador has found himself with no clear goals in life or even how best to serve his family. Having no other duties to attend to, Balador has been dispatched to personally hear the words of the Ecleth prince in the city square and then do what he can to learn the meaning of the idol's disappearance.

Appearance: Balador is a massive man, close to if not an imposing seven feet tall. With tremendous muscles, built with massive shoulders and immensely powerful arms, Balador is positively intimidating, sometimes resembling a bear more than a man. Sooty grey eyes smolder in his rugged, pale visage, contrasted by thick shoulder-length ink-black hair. He moves with a powerful, stomping stride, his giant frame thundering along with a daunting surety of purpose, cane held easily in the vice-like grip of one great hand.

Inventory: Clothes, a considerable amount of coin, steel longsword (more for show than anything), solid, sturdy yew cane (wand) with a polished golden head that is shaped as a dignified wolf's head.

Clothes: Tailored light grey shirt and heavy pants of linen, under a well-made, decorated hardened leather vest dyed white. Wears thick, durable black leather boots that rise to the knee, with hard soles, on his feet. Wears his sheathed longsword and money pouch on a grey leather belt around his waist. Wears an ermine-trimmed, hooded heavy cloak emblazoned with the crossed white sickle and lance on a red field of the Gethwine family.

Starting Location: The city square, waiting to hear the prince speak.

[This message has been edited by Black Hound (edited 10-15-2005 @ 01:20 PM).]

posted 10-05-05 10:55 AM EDT (US)     2 / 200  
I wish to be Torin (from the guild of flying daggers). thee Dwarven Rouge. I'm not yet fimilar with the terms of building your own character yet so if u could help me i would be much pleased.

Items i do want though

Armor....Studed leather cap and vest and chaps

Skills....Stealth..stealing..(any skill that inhances archry and any throwing items)..and minimal magic if thats alowed..disarm traps

Items....2 hand held cross bows, 1 large cross bow with the ability to load and fire 2 bolts seimi auto or auto.
then like 10-15 copper trowing dagers

also if my brother could join in on this adventer that would be cool....If he were to play he would also be a Dwarf and a theif at that...and he would be Thorin's brother as well.

[This message has been edited by DemosCell (edited 10-05-2005 @ 06:10 PM).]

posted 10-05-05 06:52 PM EDT (US)     3 / 200  
Is it to late to join?im demoscells little brother and i would like to join,i havnt finished my discription yet,ill try to hurry

Tarok The General Of Fear
posted 10-05-05 08:20 PM EDT (US)     4 / 200  
Name:Tarok ohre

Race: Dwarve

Sex:male

Alignment:Grey

Skills:fast movement,Hiding is qwite well,lockpicking, stealing,well educated,very slim,medium strength,Uses 2 short mauls 1 in each hand to fight,when in hand-to-hand combat ushaly just swings away toward the foe,thrashing through almost all armor

Background:Was looking forward to growing up to be just like Thorin but was lacking skill so did not pass course to be a rouge.Disapointed to have failed he{tarok} became a theif/beserker. started using mauls maces and other blunt wepons to fight,started training with Thorin for hand to hand combat tips but was poor at hand to hand but with mauls and clubs Tarok was very talented.Both Tarok and Thorin are both orphins.Once they lived in the great mountains towards the east,in the city of Grazni Grod. but the city was attacked by an unknown force,both Tarok and Thorin are the only known survivers for when the pillaging began they were both out in the woods on a survival test. So now grazni grod lies in ruins,and as the only known survivers Tarok and Thorin are bound to use all skills and resourses to revenge the death of all kin.Thorin is the only know reletive.even tho there kin was up to several siblings tarok being the youngest and thoin being the oldest. now there journy has lead them to annada for more leads. Tarok relies on his brother for support.Tarok can only manage to bring home simple items like cloths an daggers that he steals Tarok has never "murderd' anyone in his life.is only 37 years of age,dreams to be a Grand Master Theif/beserker.Is very polite and has fairly well charisma[Charisma is in the familys blood,comes mostly from Thorin]When Tarok was born, as soon as he could walk he was learning from his brother,Tarok and Thorin were always good freinds as brothers,we get in fights sometimes but never realy bad,The only ones in our kin that wanted to be a rouge was Thorin and me, I only wanted to be a rouge becouse our dad was and my brother did but then in just was one of those things that i would do anything for.

Apearnce:Is a short and slim,Is qwite well bulked but not very big,is very intimidateing ,is always taking the orders from Thorin.always walks with silent steps even when trying to be loud,weighs around 100-115 Dark brown eyes hair is thin an grey with stripes of white in the back

invitory:Perferably hard lether cloths,dark grey hooded shroud,pocket watch-2 short mauls mad of iron, skinning knife,lockpiks ,flint,pik axe,Sharpening stone,old hammer,chisle,torch,Twin-sided axe{was his fathers before he died now tarok took it]

Starting point-Awating for thorins signal....

[This message has been edited by Tarok (edited 10-22-2005 @ 08:43 AM).]

posted 10-05-05 11:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 200  

Quote:

I wish to be Torin (from the guild of flying daggers). thee Dwarven Rouge. I'm not yet fimilar with the terms of building your own character yet so if u could help me i would be much pleased.
Items i do want though

Armor....Studed leather cap and vest and chaps

Skills....Stealth..stealing..(any skill that inhances archry and any throwing items)..and minimal magic if thats alowed..disarm traps

Items....2 hand held cross bows, 1 large cross bow with the ability to load and fire 2 bolts seimi auto or auto.
then like 10-15 copper trowing dagers

also if my brother could join in on this adventer that would be cool....If he were to play he would also be a Dwarf and a theif at that...and he would be Thorin's brother as well.

Quote:

Is it to late to join?im demoscells little brother and i would like to join,i havnt finished my discription yet,ill try to hurry

Quote:

I hope im not to late my brother said i aint so i went ahead an i finished my Discription,
Name:Tarok ohre

Racewarve

Sex:male

Alignment:Grey

Skills:fast movement,Hiding is qwite well,lockpicking, stealing,well educated,very slim,low strength,depends only on surprise attacks,when in hand-to-hand combat ushaly waits for opponent to strike first and uses reflexs to reverse attacks.

Background:Was looking forward to growing up to be just like Thorin but was lacking skill so did not pass course to be a rouge.Disapointed to have failed he{tarok} became a theif. started using ropes or cheap chains for wepons,started training with Thorin for hand to hand combat tips but was poor fighter so started reversing attacks instead of attacking first.has no family both parents died mysteriosly in the woods looking for firewood and food.Thorin is the only know reletive.Tarok relies on his brother for support.Tarok can only manage to bring home simple items like cloths an daggers.has never "murderd' anyone in his life.is only 37 years of age,dreams to be a Grand Master Theif.Is very polite and has fairly well charisma

Apearnce:Is a short and slim,is hard to tell between dwarf or halfling,is not at all intimidating is always taking the orders from Thorin.always walks with silent steps even when trying to be loud,weighs around 100-110 Dark brown eyes that turns light when angry hair is thin an grey with stripes of white in the back

invitory:Perferably hard lether cloths,dark grey hooded shroud,pocket watch 10 to 15 feet rope or chain,15 aluminom balls they size ok a baseball and a skinning knife,lockpiks flint,pik axe

things i would like to have-Sharpening stone,old hammer,chisle,torch.

Starting point-whereever thorin starts at

... How can anyone possibly reply to this without getting oneself banned?

I hate to say it and I'm even a little scared to say it, but someone has to say it, and it is DEAR GOD NO. o_o

[This message has been edited by Black Hound (edited 10-05-2005 @ 11:25 PM).]

posted 10-06-05 11:04 AM EDT (US)     6 / 200  
Black Hound why are u sawing no and what r u saying no about.......i'm confused can't we join.....it dosen't look like u hav even started yet......i'm not done with my character and i'll finish him after u tell me whats going on.
posted 10-06-05 11:06 AM EDT (US)     7 / 200  
Ugh - I have been swamped this past week!

It's a shame Zargen isn't planning on joining. I have the feeling that he might actually like this one.

Okay, Black Hound - Balador is a great character. Just a few notes:
1. The heirs to the spirits of the Dúnedain in Annada are Calatani, not Mithatani. As much as I hate to say it, there is no way that Balador could be Mithatani and have inherited the soul of somebody in Númenor, even if he physically resembles one (which, ironically, the Mithatani do). The Mithatani inherit spirits of Edain-relatives like the Northmen (and the Rohirrim, although they aren't arisen yet).
2. As a Golden mage, it would be practical for Balador to have implements of using magic if he intends to cast any spells. There are some things he could chant out, but formulaic as it is, much of Golden magic uses props (e.g. I might suggest a wand, or something like it).
3. Your new history is fine. I had envisioned that the Yugarin and Ecleth dynasties were related by blood, like they might have been cousins or something.
4. Yes, you may make another character, provided that said character starts in a different part of the city.

Now, DemosCell and Tarok... I do not know for certain what Black Hound is complaining about. No, it is not too late to join, but your character descriptions are filled with grammatical disagreements. They also don't seem believable as characters. Can you work on them?

posted 10-06-05 10:09 PM EDT (US)     8 / 200  
of corse we can work on em' we just wanted to know if we could join and were giving u an outline of what are characters were going to be.

But we would like to know about what skill level we are going to start out at and if i can combine mage and rouge...we'll get more desciped with are characters you'll see we have wild imageinations....sorry about the poor gramer i'll work on that

posted 10-06-05 10:17 PM EDT (US)     9 / 200  

Quoted from me:

-In D&D terms, you should be thinking around 2nd-3rd level for the power of your character. There is nothing however to keep you from combining skills and powers (e.g. armsmanship, magic, Divinely-granted powers, etc.).

Also, I hate to continue badgering you about ME, Black Hound, but the present time in ME is 2217 of the Second Age. Minas Tirith doesn't exist yet. [Might I suggest Pelargir or Umbar? Those are Númenórean cities that have been founded now]

One more thing I noticed: Balandor's sister Mealin has the same name as the Prince. Of course I never said if the local culture uses male and female names, and there are some names even in our language that can be either male or female. Not that you need to change anything - I am just making sure you are aware of that.

[This message has been edited by Beren V (edited 10-06-2005 @ 10:25 PM).]

posted 10-07-05 11:01 AM EDT (US)     10 / 200  
Name: Thorin ohre

Race: Dwarf

Sex: Male

Alignment:gray

Skills: Stealth is Thorin's number one skill.Thorin is light on his toes even for a dwarf. Thorin is not much of a theif but an assasin, so he leaves most of the theivery to the youngest of kin. Thorin is a master of archry and at thrown daggers, he perfers crossbows over long bows and hardly ever goes hand to hand; evern if the enemy is right in front of Thorin, will apliy his hand held bow. Thorin's strenght is mediaoaker, but his constitution ain't bad. Thorin can pack as much as a small mule before slowing down. In the Guild of Flying Daggers Thorin was taught the basics of magic of the Golden Titians and also i was educated in the guild of flying daggers.My strong points are chemistry and mathmatics even tho thorin can read and write his grammer is not well.

Background: Both Tarok and Thorin are both orphins. Once they lived in the great mountains towards the east, in the city of Grazni Grod. But the city was attacked by an unknown force, both Tarok and Thorin are the only known survivors for when the pillaging began they were both out in the woods on a survival test. So now Grazni Grod lies in ruins, and as the only known survivors Tarok and Thorin are bound to use all skills and resources to revenge the death of all kin. Even though there kin was up to several siblings tarok being the youngest and thorin being the eldest.Thorin wanted to join the guild of flying daggers for his father ‘Tyndale’ was a Rouge of the guild and a master archer.Tyndale found the Guild a long a go in the city of Tamalchia; this is long before Tyndale settled down in Granzni Grod. Tyndale severd the Guild for a many number of years nearly 15 yrs. to be precise. After the 15yrs. Tyndale moved to Grazni Grod and started a new life. Thorin and Tarok went to the Guild for it would be the only place that would exceped them (and for Tyndale was a hero to the Guild) and Thorin and Tarok had to improve there skills so that they could place revenage on whom ever killed there kin. Thorin’s adventures in the guild of flying daggers where rigorous and violent. The test alone was hard enough. The task for thorin was to sneak in the goblin’s hoard and steal at least 1150 gold pieces. Thorin completed his task with ease, but Tarok had to assassinate the goblin’s shaman, but was detected before ever seeing the shamans face. Thorin never speaks of the guild or of the war. For thorin served the guild for a couple of years before splitting from the guild. During those years were the years of the guild wars. There were several guilds competing for the stone of Ali Toke which was in the protection of the guild of flying daggers. Before thorin resigned from the guild Thorin was awarded a mithral dagger for his service. Both thorin and Both Thorin and Tarok carried cast iron pocket watches. Which are a family heirloom that all the Ohre family possesses.Thorin was reinstated by the guild itself. There his minitor was the one to reinstate Thorin. Thorin never learned his minitor's for he always called his minitor teacher. Thorin never saw teachers face nor ever learned its name, but Thorin felt safe with teacher and never qustion him. Teacher was as tall as any other man yet he smelled of black ink. This never bothered Thorin nor realy crossed his mind. Thorin was with teacher for only a year till never seeing teacher agin, Thorin has no clue were teacher took to but teacher left the same day the guild wars began. Thorin would do any thing for his teacher, teacher was as if a father to Thorin.
In Arda Thorin was know as Mirar De Muerte, a Dwarf that lived in Moria. In Moria Mirar De Muerte was one of Durin's Folk who travelled across Eriador to the Blue Mountains trading crafts between the two populations. But then you were terribly wronged by somebody who put a curse on you, though you can't remember the details.

Appearance: Thorin stands at an amazing 3 ft and several inches. Thorin has Light red hair with roots as black as coal. Thorins eyes are as green as as the spring medows. He is nearly 50 yrs of age and his beard hangs below his chest. Thorin is not sore to the face as most dwarves are, he is quite charming. Thorin weighs around 130-140 pounds. Thorins studded armor is stained with coal and his cap fits firmly on his head and has flaps that cover his ears. Thorin also wears a dark green hood.Thorin weilds nice padded boots, they are so comfortable that a baby could sleep in em' if there was a small enough baby. Thorin is quite slim to other dwarves but yet is buff for his size.

Inventory: Thorins weapons are specially made for him. Thorins crossbow has 2 arrow chambers with the top chamber is rigged where Thorin can tie of an arrow with rope or thin wire so he can retrieve the arrow back or set a trip line. The crossbow can fire 1 or both arrows at a time. . Thorin has his mithral dagger from the guild of flying daggers but has never used it in battle {yet}. Thorin always carries around a pouch full of coal to draw symbols. Thorin belts that strap around his chest for throwing daggers but none of the slots are vacant yet. Thorin always carries around a torch.

Start point- Thorin is on a cottage roof to the backside of the prince. Tarok waits patiently down in the crowed for Thorin's signal

Demos "The Titain of Dread"
It is said that humans use only 10% of there brain....whos useing the other 90%?

"only when you die will allotment knowledge be gain, for when you die you will know how to live."

"The real battle is for your mind."

[This message has been edited by DemosCell (edited 10-26-2005 @ 08:43 PM).]

posted 10-07-05 02:14 PM EDT (US)     11 / 200  
What is a warve?

The playable races are Calatani, Mithatani, Moratani, Dwarves, Halflings, and Goblins.

Also, I do not understand the first sentence of your skills description.

[This message has been edited by Beren V (edited 10-07-2005 @ 02:16 PM).]

posted 10-07-05 03:47 PM EDT (US)     12 / 200  
Sorry we didnt meen to say "warve" i meant to type Dwarve but something made it into a smily face and whose 1st sentance didnt you understand mine or thorin's?

posted 10-07-05 10:52 PM EDT (US)     13 / 200  

Quote:

Also, I hate to continue badgering you about ME, Black Hound, but the present time in ME is 2217 of the Second Age. Minas Tirith doesn't exist yet.

Fixed. My mistake, thought it was Third Age. But speaking of consistency, why can't you seem to make up your mind on how to accent the vowels in 'Numenor?'

Quote:

One more thing I noticed: Balandor's sister Mealin has the same name as the Prince. Of course I never said if the local culture uses male and female names, and there are some names even in our language that can be either male or female. Not that you need to change anything - I am just making sure you are aware of that.

Her name is Maelin, pronounced 'Mye-lin,' not Mealin.

Name: Adhelenna (pronounced A-the-len-na) [the 'dh' should be pronounced in the same way as it is in the Elvish 'Caras Galadhon' in LotR: like the sound 'th' makes in 'the.']

Race: Calatani

Sex: Female

Alignment: Grey

Skills\Attributes: Average strength and above average constitution, superior dexterity and agility, great intelligence, poor willpower (may improve with certain events in the story at GM's call, see Background). Skilled at using a bow and hunting, and especially experienced at living off the land and travelling through the wilderness. Literate, also well-educated in her past life (see Background). Adept of the Silver Power, and has a certain affinity for animals (not necessarily empathy, but sometimes is useful).

Background: Adhelenna was born somewhere in the Sycamore Coast region, the land under the guardianship of the enigmatic Starlit Lady, as the second daughter of mother Aelanen [now 243 years old] and father Faerador Eraman [now 270 years old], both Calatani. Her childhood was a happy one; she and her parents, along with her older sister Tindómerel [now 136 years old], lived freely in the woodlands of the Sycamore Coast. Adhelenna's father Faerador was the leader of the gathering of Calatani she was born into, though his 'rule' was an always gentle one. Adhelenna, like her sister Tindómerel, was instructed in song and dance by her mother. Unlike Tindómerel, however, Adhelenna displayed a natural grace and talent that impressed even the eldest Calatani of Faerador's people. When word spread through the community, many were eager to hear the young songstress's voice for themselves, but Adhelenna was a shy girl. Beginning to wander into the forests for days at a time to escape the attentions of the gathering, she soon became adept even for one of her people at surviving and moving in the wilderness.

As Adhelenna grew older and her beauty grew, so it was more concealed beneath the dirt and grime which she carelessly accumulated. She spent more time singing to the animals than speaking with people, and her parents grew concerned. In hopes that it would tame their daughter, they wanted to help her develop her voice into an instrument of the Silver Power. She demonstrated such a talent that her parents made preparations to have her Reinstated, hoping that her power would lead her to a great destiny. Meanwhile, Adhelenna continued to live more and more in a world of her own; what she called, in those rare times that she spoke to other people, the Greylands, where she alone was master, and the simple denizens of that place thrilled to her touch and voice, and her mind was at peace. The young woman wore clothes of leather and fur that she made herself, and she crafted a bow for herself from sinew and horn, and hunted for food. Two years later, as her talent of song blossomed, she was Reinstated. By that time, she had not been seen by any man or woman besides her family for six months, though she delighted in singing to children as much as to animals and plants.

When Adhelenna was Reinstated, her half-dream world in the Greylands was shattered by something that awoke inside herself. Memories of a cruel, alien life among cold mists of the sea and the colder shelter of stone walls and white marble; a cunning, sinister mind that wheeled away in scheming and plotting, lording over Men and nature alike in her arrogance and power. This mind knew the lore of magic and the powers of iron and machines, and this mind seized Adhelenna's soul with a strange intensity. Where her song had been a joy for all to enjoy before, now she began to see it in another light against her conscience; a tool and a weapon of magic to impose her will on the world and enthrall the minds of others. At fifty-one years old, Adhelenna was now wise beyond her years, and shaken to her very soul at the knowledge of what she had been in another world. Inconsolable, the young woman retreated altogether into the wilds, but no longer found sanctuary there. Instead there came needling feelings that her will should forge for her a destiny of her liking, and the destiny she found herself desiring was one of power and domination, where all she could survey and perceive would be her Greylands.

Twenty years later, Adhelenna had become a woman grown who was welling up on the inside with a pain she did not dare express for fear of what it would set free from the barred depths of her soul; a shadow of her former self, she no longer sang, but lost herself entirely in simply living. She might have remained there forever, if a stranger had not sought her out for reasons known only to himself. One day, the Calatani woman awoke to find a man hooded and cloaked in black looming over her. She was surprised, but more overwhelmed by returning to the company of other people. Memories returned unbidden, of happy times lost to the mist of the Greylands that had become her prison, and the nameless horror that had slumbered uneasily within that prison stirred at the feel of a mind worth ruling.

The stranger, with an endless and unnerving patience, coaxed Adhelenna into accepting his presence. There were now two minds at work in the Greylands, and Adhelenna's mastery was challenged for the first time. Her mind rallied to this new problem, and she thought clearly again for the first time in years. The stranger wielded a power like Adhelenna's own, with an ease that she had long since lost. For a time, on his terms, Adhelenna remembered what she had lost: her family, her people, her song, even the cold knowledge that her past clutched within her. As her power flowed once again through her, and her song once again found voice, she knew she had changed from what she was once. To more or less, she had yet to test.

The stranger departed her as mysteriously as he had approached her, exactly one year later. But his presence had left a mark within her that made her something new, something strong, something that excited and terrified her at once. Like never before, she felt a path to glory and fulfillment laid out before her in the myriad strands of the Silver Power, and yet at the same time a voice from her past, her own or that of the Reinstated, she knew no longer, whispered always of good and evil, and the corruption of power. At last, she knew that she would dwell in that forest no more. Her own kindred, she had no desire to meet again, but the stranger's words of a different people to the east, those whose lives burned bright and short, intrigued her. Singing spells of travel or keeping silent at her leisure as she walked, Adhelenna winded her way east by the sun and stars. One month later, amidst wild rumors and furor over the idol that had vanished, Adhelenna walked into the city of Tamalchia. Still broken and divided within herself, she knows with a wordless certainty that the path to her fate, for better or worse, starts here.

Appearance: Adhelenna is a fair, lissome woman with long black hair and soulful, delicate features. This often contrasts with her sure-footed, man-like stride and steady gaze. Her heavy furs and leathers swath her lithe frame with great volume, but she bears them with an ease that suggests she is somehow far larger and intimidating than her slight build. Although washed only in what cold rivers she may pass on her travels, Adhelenna and even her clothes seem to be pursued only by a faint scent like perfume, and there is no hint of decay or dirtiness in her form, from her perfect white teeth to her straight locks of hair. Her voice is a thing of surpassing beauty and excellence, with a power within it that can enchant or daunt at her will, even without her magic. Adhelenna stands about 5'9", and weighs about 128 lbs.

Inventory: Horn bow with a string of sinew, arrows fletched with swan feathers, a flint knife, clothes, a purse containing some coin she lifted from an unsuspecting noblewoman.

Clothing: Tough, weathered leather and hide pants, boots, and tunic, with a heavy, hooded cloak of thick fur skillfully collected from various animals, a strap of sinew against her back for her bow and quiver, and a worn black belt of leather with a tarnished silver buckle to bear her knife and new-found coin purse.

Starting Location: Tavern of the Golden Chalice.

[This message has been edited by Black Hound (edited 10-21-2005 @ 03:26 PM).]

posted 10-08-05 06:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 200  
DemosCell: The second sentence of Thorin's attributes section does not make sense.

Also, you have a huge gap between your leaving your homeland and joining the Guild of Flying Daggers. Could you include some more background in-between?

Black Hound: I'm looking forward to reading up on your next character.

As for Númenor, Tolkien himself was not consistent on how he did it. The "u" is always accented. Because it ends in an "r", "Númenor" itself does not need the "o" to be accented. It does technically need to be accented for "Númenórean", since it's now the third-to-last syllable and still has a strong accent. Nonetheless Tolkien did not always put the accent in. Go figure!

[I will say that I don't understand why some of Tolkien's accenting marks are used the way they are. All Elvish words that end in "e" have it written as an ë; this does not affect the pronounciation. I think perhaps that Tolkien merely meant it to mean that this letter is pronounced, that it is not silent, as in the final "e" in so many English words. Ilisclimë, for example, is pronounced eel-ees-CLEEM-ay, not eel-ees-CLIME. But why is there an "ë" in Fëanor?]

posted 10-08-05 08:51 PM EDT (US)     15 / 200  

Quote:

Ilisclimë, for example, is pronounced eel-ees-CLEEM-ay, not eel-ees-CLIME. But why is there an "ë" in Fëanor?]

I didn't know that's how Ilisclimë is pronounced. :\

Got Adhelenna's bio done.

posted 10-09-05 11:39 AM EDT (US)     16 / 200  
hey guys been really busy lately. Im going to join this thread if its all right with you Beren... Ive been busy getting rid of the noob out of me from a different site about rping. I will post my character later if its ok. Talk to you later. Bye
posted 10-09-05 01:17 PM EDT (US)     17 / 200  
There ya go Beren I belive i fixed what u were talking about.
posted 10-09-05 04:58 PM EDT (US)     18 / 200  

Quote:

I think perhaps that Tolkien merely meant it to mean that this letter is pronounced, that it is not silent, as in the final "e" in so many English words. Ilisclimë, for example, is pronounced eel-ees-CLEEM-ay, not eel-ees-CLIME. But why is there an "ë" in Fëanor?

Now, I'm not well versed in my Tolkien-ese (having only read the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit), but my first is that Fëanor is pronounced "FAY-a-nor". This is because the "ë" in Ilisclimë is pronounced "ay", so it seems logical that the "ë" is pronounced the same here.

Save me a spot in the roleplay, by the way -- I should have a character written up by today or tomorrow. I was wondering when you'd be starting an Annada roleplay (I've been watching the world thread for quite a while now).

posted 10-09-05 07:23 PM EDT (US)     19 / 200  
Another great character, BH! (Erendis or Ancalimë in her spirit's previous incarnation?)

DemosCell, that's clearer than it was, but one thing still isn't clear. You launch into talking about the Guild of Flying Daggers immediately after talking about Thorin's life in the wild. Where is this guild located, was it in Thorin's home city (and if so how did it survive the destruction of the city), or is it in Tamalchia (and how then did Thorin's father have any connections to it)?

Eman1 and Squeeky - Yes, I'd be happy to have you join! There is still plenty of room.

posted 10-10-05 10:31 AM EDT (US)     20 / 200  
I didn't think u would cared where the Guild was....so I'll gusse make it be in Tamalchia.also how do i get to pick what spells to start whith

[This message has been edited by DemosCell (edited 10-10-2005 @ 11:06 AM).]

posted 10-10-05 03:07 PM EDT (US)     21 / 200  
Well, let's just say that if the Guild is in Tamalchia it is going to be important. Because of family connections, it also explains why Thorin would be in Tamalchia now and not in some other city.

With regard to spells, there are a large number of Golden spells and of course your character would know only some of them. It might be useful to emphasize the kind of spells your character knows, but a list of individual spells without descriptions of what they do would be more work than is needed. Suffice it to say, Golden spells generally take some time to cast, so aren't all that useful as weapons in hand-to-hand combat or anything else that requires speed, but they are quite powerful if the mage has the time to cast them. Golden spells cast at things (including people) also require some kind of means by which to indicate what they are being cast at, which is why something like a wand or a staff or something is a good idea to have for a Golden mage.

posted 10-10-05 04:41 PM EDT (US)     22 / 200  
Beren V Didn't you say that Golden Power also used circles
or runes to use spells. if so i'll just do that....also what spells do i get to chose from, is there a list or do i just make the spells up.........also could u describe the prince and what is on his person and also tell how many gaurds are around if there is any.

[This message has been edited by DemosCell (edited 10-11-2005 @ 10:28 AM).]

posted 10-11-05 03:45 PM EDT (US)     23 / 200  
Beren thanks for letting me join, but I still am unable to have time to post my character right now. I have been really busy lately. I have to go condition because basketball season is starting. Will post as soon as I can.
posted 10-11-05 06:03 PM EDT (US)     24 / 200  

Quote:

Didn't you say that Golden Power also used circles

I don't follow you. Circles?

Quote:

also could u describe the prince and what is on his person and also tell how many gaurds are around if there is any

Before I answer that, I should point out that you should put a reason in your character's background if you are planning to assassinate the Prince (e.g. who is paying you, what his/her motives are if your character knows them, etc.).

The Prince has not yet left his palace, so you don't know how many guards he will have when he does so. Mealin Ecleth is the Prince of Tamalchia, which is a prosperous city-state in the plains of central Amlara. Most of the basis of its wealth comes from two elements: (1) the lands around it are good for agriculture, and (2) the city has historically been impossible to besiege due to Siredendum's magic. Mealin is the Prince of the city, but he is not the only member of his family. It would be safe to assume that he has guards.

posted 10-11-05 08:56 PM EDT (US)     25 / 200  
Quote:
Casting Golden spells requires the careful drawing of geometric designs, complicated runes and careful recitation of incantations.

sorry i thought u said cirles last time I looked. any way is the Golden Power anything like alchemy if u know what alchemy is. any way i was getting at...why do i need a wand or staff if i can make potions, runes, or whatever else...... you also didn't answer this question for me last time what spells do i get to chose from, is there a list or do i just make the spells up. I don't have a D&D book so i don't know any limits to spells and of what nature they are.

posted 10-12-05 00:57 AM EDT (US)     26 / 200  
Oh, I see what you mean. There is no rulebook, and the rules are not D&D. I don't have a spell list to show you. When I said "in D&D terms, you should be thinking around 2nd-3rd level for the power of your character", I was indicating a level of power of characters (i.e. are not utterly inexperienced, but aren't veterans either). The total number of Golden spells in existence is immence, so feel free to create any and put them on your character sheet if you so desire.

Regarding the nature of the Golden Power, just remember that it is ritualistic. A spell might be cast by carefully inscribing an arcane sigil on the subject, by reciting a long and complex incantation while waving implements of magic, by brewing a complicated potion and imbibing it, etc., and different spells are cast in different ways. The point is that you cannot cast a Golden spell with the wave of one's hand the way an adept of the Silver Power can. On the other hand, you will not exhaust yourself casting Golden spells, so that you can keep putting out spells as long as you have time and then perform vigorous physical activity (e.g. fighting), where as a Silver adept is limited by physical endurance and will not be able to perform physically if exhausted.

p.s. if you do want the D&D rule books for ideas, you can download them here

posted 10-13-05 02:17 AM EDT (US)     27 / 200  
Name: Gale Mases

Race: Moratani

Alignment: Black

Skills\Attributes: Almost all of Gale's skills were taught by the Black One.

Gale is unique in his magical ability, as it is not drawn from the Silver or Golden Powers, but from himself and his master, the Black One. The Black One's Gift (as Gale christened it in his mind) was part of his training by the Black One, in fact.

It's properties and use, on the surface seem to be similar to the Silver Power, but it also occaisonally requires ritualistic ceremony reminiscient of the Golden Power, for more extensive, powerful spells. It has never been tested whether a Golden or Silver user could detect the use of the Black One's Gift, but guessing from the Black One's typical subterfuge and cunning, it would take careful concentration and much power to do so.

He is quite agile, but has comparatively weak physical strength. From the Black One's training, he has become adequate at unarmed combat.

He is not well read, but knows ancient legends and lore fairly well through the Black One's teaching.

Background: Born in a small Moratani farming village on the continent of Amlara, Gale Mases never quite fit in. He was never hated or shunned, but he never felt like he was in his element. He never felt like he was part of the farming community.

He tried, at first. To work in the fields, to bring in the harvest, to do all the boring things an average Moratani farmer did. After all, what else was there?

By the age of eighteen, he was sufficiently mature and depressed enough with his life to contemplate suicide. And he did so. He dwelled on the idea, but for some reason, he could never quite do it. Always, the cooking knife shook, inches from his neck, and dropped to the floor.

It was not because of cowardice, he was sure. He did not contemplate suicide out of rage, or fear, or any other strong emotion. He simply felt like the world had nothing to offer him -- why bother?

Soon, however, he realized something. The farming village had nothing to offer him, true -- but the rest of the world might. He decided to spend what was left of his short Moratani lifespan on something that challenged him.

That night, he took a map, a cooking knife, a sack of dried foodstuffs, and a hunting bow, and walked out of the farmhouse's door.

Across the fields, and into the forest he walked, eating sparingly. He had no goal, other than to find something. Something new.

Days and weeks passed. He was mostly aimless, but he was happier than he'd ever been -- living off the land was more challenging than anyhing he had so far encountered. Hunting, gathering, traveling.

Then something completely unexpected happened. Unexpected by mortal mind, at least.

Gale came upon a small, abandoned shrine to the Black One, in the deep of the mostly unknown forest he was traveling through. Unknown to Gale, at any rate -- no doubt some cartographer had catalogued it at some point.

The shrine was small, and consisted only of an altar, a roof over said altar, one skeletal Moratani corpse and one engraved stone tablet sitting to the side of said corpse.

The tablet was engraved with the following, curious words:

I am dead. Should you be?

Picking it up and reading it, Gale spoke.

"No," murmured Gale. "I don't think so."

I don't think so either, echoed the soft, whispering voice of the Black One in his mind.

Gale started, then looked around, seeing nothing. No movement whatsoever.

I must have imagined it, he thought.

You did not, spoke the Black One.

Who are you? thought Gale, disturbed as anyone would be to have something speaking to them in their mind.

I am the Black One. I am a god of the Silver Dragon pantheon.

Why are you speaking to . . . me?

Because you will be my prophet, Gale Mases.

I . . . I will? Gale was becoming more disconcerted by the second.

I'm sorry if I'm disconcerting you, young Moratani. But, yes, you will be my prophet. I'm a god -- I need followers, yes?

. . . Yes? Gods weren't supposed to talk so casually, were they?

Gods may speak or act however they feel to mortals, hmm? The Black One's voice was faintly irritated.

Quickly realizing the dire consequences of irritating a god, Gale put his disconcertion away as best he could.

Of course, my . . . uh, lord.

I'm glad you agree, my prophet. Your quickness to cach on is one of the reasons I don't think you should be dead.

Thank you, milord, thought Gale, deferencially. After all, how else do you speak to a god? I have a question, milord --

Why I chose you, perhaps? Because you are nearly as cunning as myself, nearly as intelligent, and nearly as determined. This is the best complement I can give a mortal, understand. I've watched the world carefully -- you are the only acceptable candidate for a prophet available.

Again, deep thanks, milord, thought Gale.

I haven't had a prophet or followers for a eon or two. I've had a short nap, so to speak, continued the Black One.

Who . . . was that, milord? As the Black One's words paused, Gale thought he might ask a question. Any question would do -- he had so many, he had no particular priority.

My last follower.

Oh . . . I see, milord.

Good, good. The truly blind have no place in my service. Now, or in the past.

Of course, milord. Gale paused as he wondered what his new master's mysterious past was. Why did He sleep? Why has He awoken?

He put those thoughts away for a moment, to ask a more personally important question.

If I may be so bold, what do you plan to do with me milord?

I will train you. I will answer some of your questions. Once we are done, my first task for you will be to acquire new followers for me.

This was something new, certainly. So he accepted gladly (though he didn't truly have a choice) the Black One's lordship.

For two years, he was trained the Black One's Gift, in combat, and in all sorts of other useful skills and knowledge, including history and lore -- all by a whispery, ancient yet strangely familiar voice in his mind.

Finally, the Black One deemed he was ready.

You are trained in the use of my Gift, as you call it, you have attained a mediocre level of unarmed combat. I think you are ready for your first task.

Where? I mean, where shall I go, milord?

A city. Tamalchia, I believe. Yes, Tamalchia. Start at a tavern -- yes, taverns are good places to meet people. Ah . . . let's see . . . the tavern of the Golden Chalice. Yes, that will do.

And with that, the Black One left Gale's mind -- yet he knew He would return.

And so, Gale Mases walked away from the small shrine, and from there, walked all the way to Tamalchia.

Inventory: Gale wears only hunter's leather, a bow at his back and a crude hunting knife at his belt.

Clothing: See Inventory.

Appearance: Gale is a tall, but unimposing person. His short, black hair, while unkempt, never seems quite dirty enough for him to seem a vagrant. No one would call him handsome, but neither would they say he is ugly.

His light blue eyes contrast rather sharply with his pitch black hair. There always seems to be something deep and dark in their depths, despite the light color. Not evil, not virtue, but simple, yet mysterious deepness.

In a crowd, you would never notice him as anything but bland, but with a closer look, he is startlingly different from any other.

Starting Location: Tavern of the Golden Chalice.

-------------------------------------------------------

I'll put in the Appearance section tomorrow -- I don't have time today. Please point out any errors.

Edit: Added appearance section, fixed a few spelling errors and edited his skills and attributes.

[This message has been edited by SqueekyDragon (edited 10-14-2005 @ 01:52 AM).]

posted 10-13-05 03:14 PM EDT (US)     28 / 200  
I like Gale, myself. Looking forward to the rest of his bio.

One thing, (Beren?), I think a person has to be Reinstated to regain the memories of their past life on Arda before they can use magic. The Black One seems like he could do this, but maybe you should edit in a mention of it.

posted 10-14-05 00:24 AM EDT (US)     29 / 200  
Certainly an interesting character concept!

Black Hound is right, however: you need to have been Reinstated in order to develop any use of either the Golden or the Silver powers (speaking of which, DemosCell, you need to add who you were in Tolkien's world, or at least give some hint of it). It is certainly possible that the Black One granted you some powers (i.e. enchanted you so that you now can do things you normally could not), but you need to have been Reinstated in order to have any actual skill at magic.

posted 10-14-05 01:55 AM EDT (US)     30 / 200  
I fixed a few errors and added the appearance section to Gale's profile.

As to the his magical abilities, I settled on . . . well, just check my newly edited skills/attributes section. That should do well, ay?

By the way, thanks for the compliments. Various incarnations of him have been floating around in my head for days, including a much more sinister version. As I wrote, he just got less and less sinister and more and more . . well, Gale-ish.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing » The Missing Idol Annada Roleplay Recruitment/OOC
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames