Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing
Moderated by ChowGuy, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Red Hand of Doom: OOC Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 19  Next Page »
posted 10-15-09 03:31 PM EDT (US)   
Okay. I mentioned possibly running this in the Tavern and the amount of immediately support made me decide to give it a shot. I know I would like to see some of you who haven't been around for a while come back and liven up this section of the board, and having a module means that it's not quite as much work for me as the DM. I'm going to give Bearclaw a call and ask if he wants to join us.

I'm going into this tentatively because my schedule this quarter is fluctuating dangerously. There could potentially be a few days at a time when I'm unable to post, but I don't forsee these being more than a couple days, and with luck, I should be able to keep it going smoothly.

I'll get around to providing backstory for the campaign sooner or later--right now, I want to know who's interesting in playing and what kinds of characters you want to play.

If you didn't know, this is D&D v3.5. We'll be starting at 6th level and using nonstandard point buy with 28 points to start (+1 at 4th level). You'll have 13,000 gp to spend. As for what rules/classes I allow, I'm extremely lenient--if you can find it in a supplement, it's yours for the playing. If it's extremely radical, you might want to run it by me, but I'm pretty open to this stuff. We'll start with full hit points at first level and average for every subsequent level (if you HD is d6, you'd get 6 hp at first, 3 more at second, 4 more at third, 3 more at fourth, etc). One change I'll make is to relax the carrying capacity rules--your light load goes up to 10 times your strength score, medium goes up to 15 times your strength, and heavy up to 20 times your strength score.

I myself will probably play a Truenamer from Tome of Magic, if that gives you any indication.

So talk to me....

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.

[This message has been edited by that one Elf (edited 10-15-2009 @ 04:49 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-15-09 09:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 549  
I will join, I am not sure what I will be yet, but I am considering reusing Ravn (human sprite shaman) or Ismal (half-dragon paladin) as I don’t really believe that the RPGs they are in will ever get anywhere…

Kris Lighthawk
Creator of Lighthawk's mod
posted 10-16-09 08:19 AM EDT (US)     2 / 549  
How exactly is the point by system for ability scores going to work?
Also, can we use magic items from the magic item compendium?
One change I'll make is to relax the carrying capacity rules--your light load goes up to 10 times your strength score, medium goes up to 15 times your strength, and heavy up to 20 times your strength score.
That change means that weak characters can carry a lot more than they usually can, but also that very strong characters (20+ for heavy load and 25+ for light load) can carry less than they usually can

Kris Lighthawk

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 10-16-2009 @ 08:20 AM).]

posted 10-16-09 09:07 AM EDT (US)     3 / 549  
The point buy system is the one explained in the Dungeon Master's Guide on pg 69. Specifically, each point of an ability score raised costs 1 point through 13, raising it to 14, 15, or 16 costs 2 per point, and raising it to 17 or 18 costs 3 per point. Racial modifiers are applied after point buy, so if you're an elf, you could spend 10 points to get your dex up to 16, then your race would boost it to 18 and you could buy gloves of dexterity +2 to get it to 20.

I'm aware what the carrying loads will do, but it's unreasonable for a "weak" character to only be able to carry 30 lbs and no strong character will reasonably need to carry more than 160-180 on a light load, especially since those characters usually don't mind a medium load with their typically heavy armor.

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.

[This message has been edited by that one Elf (edited 10-16-2009 @ 09:09 AM).]

posted 10-16-09 11:02 AM EDT (US)     4 / 549  
I would be rather interested in this. Not sure on what I would want to do with a character yet. Although I can say their primary source of power/damage will not be magic based. I'm looking more at a rogue with possibly a level of fighter, or a fighter class. I'm also interested in a ranger class. Possibly a halfling ranger. Someone small, light, fast and silent. I know that's more of an "Elf" thing, but I'd like to see it from a different perspective.
posted 10-16-09 11:33 AM EDT (US)     5 / 549  
You mean p. 169 obviously…
Also the rules in the DMG says that you only “pay” one point for going from 13 to 14

Also can we use the magic items in the magic item compendium?

Kris Lighthawk
posted 10-16-09 12:01 PM EDT (US)     6 / 549  
Useful point buy calculator can be found here.

Now I will destroy the whole world...
posted 10-16-09 12:14 PM EDT (US)     7 / 549  
Yes, you're right on both accounts, Kris. Sorry about that. Just follow the rules in the DMG or use Gruesy's calculator and you'll be fine.

I actually had a question for you, Kris. I was looking at Tome of Magic and it said that the utterance truenamers use are spell-like abilities. In the back of the Monster Manual is the feat "Empower Spell-like Ability", and my truenamer would qualify for it at 6th level. Do you think he could use it to empower his utterances three times per day? It seems technically legal, but the fact that there's a feat in Tome of Magic called Empower Utterance that's meant to be used as utterance metamagic, what do you think?

Empower Spell-like Ability specifies a certain spell-like ability. Perhaps you have to choose one utterance when you take the feat to empower 3/day?

posted 10-16-09 12:18 PM EDT (US)     8 / 549  
I'm considering playing a Whisper Gnome (from the Races of Stone) Dragonfire Adept.

posted 10-16-09 01:42 PM EDT (US)     9 / 549  
Sounds alright. I wasn't familiar with the dragonfire adept, but I see it's basically another version of a warlock, and it looks fine.

posted 10-16-09 03:53 PM EDT (US)     10 / 549  
Yes, Empower Spell-like Ability can be used to empower utterances, but you will have to chose a specific utterance to empower, and as a level 6 truenamer you can’t chose one with a level higher than 1 (you will need to be level 8 to apply the feat to a level 2 utterance, level 10 for a level 3 utterance and so on…)
You can chose the feat multiple times each applying it to a differed utterance

Kris Lighthawk
posted 10-16-09 04:41 PM EDT (US)     11 / 549  
If Lighthawk plays Ravn I would like to play Aleska.

I do plan on restarting the Jade Warrior soon (after I get back from the conference), and I plan on Ismal playing a part in the conclusion, although because I didn't have enough characters to start with his part in the roleplay will be abbreviated (I plan on jumping straight into the action).

TOE, could you maybe tell me a little more about the Red Hand of Doom? I'm pretty sure it takes place in Forgotten Realms, and the idea I have surrounding Aleska and the Women of the Laurel depend upon their being a sort of Lovecraftian pre-history to the world such as Black Hound likes to incorporate into his settings, which doesn't really mesh with the rest of the FR cosmology with clearly-defined, ever-present, and blatantly obvious sides of good and evil on approximately equal footing that characterize FR.

If Lighthawk is playing Ravn and I am playing Aleska, and the party begins at sixth level, then I find myself wondering what kind of history our characters might have together. For example, if the Companions roleplay had run for long enough, it seems to me a not that unlikely possibility that Ravn and Aleska might wind up being married, and I would be curious to see how that might play out if Lighthawk is interested. How well do the PCs know each-other?

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 10-16-09 06:44 PM EDT (US)     12 / 549  
Alright, so the key here is that I'm running a module. The setting outside the vicinity of the adventure as far as I'm concerned can generally be black-boxed. It's made for a generic D&D setting with tips that allow it to be incorporated into Forgotten Realms, but I was planning on keeping it in a generic D&D setting with the core pantheon discussed in the Player's Handbook.

As for how well the characters know each other, I actually wanted to ask you guys how you wanted to start it. If we want these characters to be individual adventurers who are brought together by circumstance at the onset of this adventure, I can do that. Or, if we prefer (and in fact I might prefer), we can assume that these adventurers have been traveling together since they were level 1, and indeed there's an easy way I can tie this in to our otherwise-black boxed last adventure together.

By the way, if we end up with a bunch of spellcasters and only one sturdy up-front fighter, I might change to a Warblade from Tome of Battle even though I've already written up my Truenamer. It's another fun class I want to play, and I can level up Luke Skyrim from the short-lived Planeswalkers campaign to do it. But it looks like TBPhenom and Bearclaw are going to play up-front types and Aleska's a scout, so we might be okay....

[This message has been edited by that one Elf (edited 10-16-2009 @ 06:59 PM).]

posted 10-16-09 08:13 PM EDT (US)     13 / 549  
If Lighthawk is playing Ravn and I am playing Aleska, and the party begins at sixth level, then I find myself wondering what kind of history our characters might have together. For example, if the Companions roleplay had run for long enough, it seems to me a not that unlikely possibility that Ravn and Aleska might wind up being married, and I would be curious to see how that might play out if Lighthawk is interested.
That might have been interesting, but I have more or less decided to use Ismal for this RPG…

Kris Lighthawk
posted 10-16-09 09:46 PM EDT (US)     14 / 549  
I talked to Bearclaw and it looks like he's going to get on here sometime soon and play a dextrous fighter-type inspired by Tuk from Raiders in the Marching Mountains. If we have him, a barbarian/fighter type from TBPhenom, and Ismal the half-dragon Paladin, it looks like the front is well-covered, and we can easily have a Truenamer, Dragonfire Adept, and whatever Beren wants to play to fill out the back line.

Unless Beren plays a healer, it looks like Isaiah (my Truenamer) should pick up a wand of cure light wounds! He can use it with Use Magic Device no problem....

posted 10-17-09 07:43 AM EDT (US)     15 / 549  
Ismal is also going to have a wand of cure light wounds, and he can do a little healing with lay on hands, but the party could use a good combat healer

A truenamer can be a powerful healer, but because he can never know when his utterances are going to work, he is not a very reliable combat healer, and as the healing utterances heal over time rather than all at once they are not very good for saving a character that is close to dying

Kris Lighthawk
posted 10-17-09 09:08 AM EDT (US)     16 / 549  
My utterances should be pretty reliable for the first few times a day I use them--I managed to get my skill check up to +22! To cast a spell on an ally, the DC will start at 27... could fail, but it'll likely work. You're right, though, that they give fast healing and don't work right away.

Oh, sorry I didn't answer this earlier--yes, you can use magic items from any source, including the Magic Item Compendium.

posted 10-17-09 12:42 PM EDT (US)     17 / 549  
yes i would like to start a character for this thread ...i have to figure out what i want to be at the moment....most likely a human(you all know me,lol) i need to do some reading

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me
Into darkness, into night, amongst the shadows we shall fight!
-/X\( ++ ) /X\-L.E.D.- Hand of Malice-/X\( ++ ) /X\-
posted 10-17-09 11:17 PM EDT (US)     18 / 549  
Good to have you, Bearclaw.

Interesting character you have there, Gruesy. I guess there's no problem with hiding behind a tower shield when you're only attacking with your breath weapon! I did notice a slight error, however--on your calculation for your AC, you added 3 for dex when it should only be 2, so your AC should be 25 instead of 26.

posted 10-17-09 11:54 PM EDT (US)     19 / 549  
Ah. Thank you.
I guess there's no problem with hiding behind a tower shield when you're only attacking with your breath weapon!
A well-built Dragonfire Adept never needs to use an attack roll. Nonproficiency not mattering for the win!

A quick question, that one elf: would you allow me to change my Dragon Spirit Cincture to a shirt? That’s in accordance with the DMG pg. 288 about substituting body slots. I chose the shirt slot because it has the same properties as the belt slot, but I’d be fine with a different slot; heck, gauntlets may fit better thematically, as the item improves my breath weapon’s destructive capabilities.

[This message has been edited by Gruesy (edited 10-18-2009 @ 04:29 AM).]

posted 10-18-09 08:58 AM EDT (US)     20 / 549  
Yeah, that's fine. Go ahead.

posted 10-18-09 11:13 AM EDT (US)     21 / 549  
I was also looking at a halfling ranger. Or something of that sort. But I will look into a fighter type a bit more.
posted 10-18-09 01:28 PM EDT (US)     22 / 549  
Hey, do whatever you want. I'll make sure the party is balanced.

posted 10-18-09 04:33 PM EDT (US)     23 / 549  
Hey guys. Suddenly I'm starting to think about scrapping Isaiah and starting over. The interesting thing is that I think he'll be great against your regulars and the weaker monsters (he'll be able to consistently make his Truespeak checks against the mere DC 16-21 of lower-level enemies), but Red Hand of Doom features repeated boss fights against the Red Hand's leaders and their powerful allies. These fights include monsters with CRs 9-13, and against foes like these, Isaiah will be all but useless. Truespeaking against a CR 9 enemy starts at DC 33 (for casting an utterance for the first time in a day), and that gives Isaiah less than a 50% chance of successfully pulling off an utterance.

Not good enough. I want to play a character that will be effective in all combat scenarios. I'm still willing to fill whatever slot the party needs, but I'm going to level Luke (my Warblade) up and make him my default as of now.

posted 10-18-09 09:04 PM EDT (US)     24 / 549  
hey i just had a thought since my goliath can wield a large weapon with no difficulty could he get the feat "monkey grip" and use the next size bigger weapon ???

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me
Into darkness, into night, amongst the shadows we shall fight!
-/X\( ++ ) /X\-L.E.D.- Hand of Malice-/X\( ++ ) /X\-
posted 10-18-09 09:14 PM EDT (US)     25 / 549  
Good thought, but the feat says you can use weapons "one size larger than you are", and Tubolt's still technically medium.

posted 10-18-09 10:56 PM EDT (US)     26 / 549  
Besides, Monkey Grip isn't that good. Power Attack is a better attack-to-damage trade, especially if one adds Leap Attack.

posted 10-19-09 10:42 AM EDT (US)     27 / 549  
Apparently, I do have internet, but just sporadic. We'll see if that changes on the field trip!
If Lighthawk is playing Ravn and I am playing Aleska, and the party begins at sixth level, then I find myself wondering what kind of history our characters might have together. For example, if the Companions roleplay had run for long enough, it seems to me a not that unlikely possibility that Ravn and Aleska might wind up being married, and I would be curious to see how that might play out if Lighthawk is interested.

That might have been interesting, but I have more or less decided to use Ismal for this RPG…
Hm, you may be using him twice, since I do plan on resuming the Jade Warrior again soon!

I now find myself wondering what to play. We have a very draconically-themed party at the moment, so some kind of dragon-blood critter would be most appropriate, I am guessing. I am thinking that I might try to play the super-tank whose main aim is to acquire just as high an AC as possible so that he can just absorb attacks. Using these encumberance rules, it won't be difficult to make someone with the eye-poping AC of 28, maybe higher if I can creatively use feats.

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 10-19-09 11:57 AM EDT (US)     28 / 549  
We have a very draconically-themed party at the moment, so some kind of dragon-blood critter would be most appropriate, I am guessing.
Only half the characters in the party so far are draconically-themed, which may prove interesting, considering dragons feature amongst the enemies in the module. And we've got several tanks. Human warblade, half-dragon paladin, half-giant fighter. Just sayin'.

posted 10-19-09 01:24 PM EDT (US)     29 / 549  
Yeah, the thing we're really missing is a spell-flinger. I'd be willing to change characters a third time to something that casts spells (which could be really useful against a horde of hobgoblin regulars), but I'm pretty excited about Luke, if you're willing to fill that slot, Beren.

Amusingly, sorcerers are usually descendant from dragons, too.

posted 10-19-09 03:51 PM EDT (US)     30 / 549  
I was wondering, is a warhorse going to be of much use? If not I will drop Ismal’s horse and save the money for something better…

Kris Lighthawk
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 19  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing » Red Hand of Doom: OOC Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames