Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing
Moderated by ChowGuy, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Red Hand of Doom -- IC Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 25  Next Page »
posted 11-03-09 04:48 PM EDT (US)   
This is the In-Character Thread for the Red Hand of Doom campaign. I will use this to keep track of a few important global conditions, like basic character stats (and spells prepared), the day and time, and the party's location.

This thread will use the language color code we've adopted on this board. When an NPC is speaking a certain language, I will use a color to indicate which one they are using. Similarly, the PCs are encouraged to adopt this convention. Here is the color code:

Game mechanics (gold)
Celestial alphabet: Celestial (silver)
Common alphabet: Common (white), Halfling (yellow), Gnoll (gray), Local language (tan)
Draconic alphabet: Auran (lightblue), Draconic (darkgreen), Ignan (darkred)
Druidic alphabet: Druidic (lime)
Dwarven alphabet: Dwarven (orange), Giant (brown), Gnome (magenta), Orc (red), Goblin (pink), Terran (indigo)
Elven alphabet: Aquan (blue), Elven (green), Sylvan (teal), Undercommon (black), Adûnaic (aquamarine)
Infernal alphabet: Abyssal (purple), Infernal (blood)

Character Thread

Characters:
Kaiden Shamus (gray elf kineticist): AC 20, hp 27
Power Points: 63

Tubolt (goliath fighter): AC 19-21, hp 55

Ismal (half-dragon paladin): AC 22, hp 38
Spell Prepared: Bless

Talthamadhar (gray elf illusionist): AC 14, hp 19
Spells Prepared:
0: Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Message
1: Color Spray, Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement x2, Silent Image, Sleep, True Strike
2: Silenced Charm Person, Detect Thoughts, Glitterdust, Invisibility (x2), Web
3: Dispel Magic, Haste, Major Image, Ray of Exhaustion, Slow
4: Hallucinatory Terrain, Enervation x2

Lillianna Nettlewood (halfling druid): AC 20, hp 34
Spells Prepared:
0: Light, Detect magic, Virtue, Resistance, Guidance, Flare
1: Produce flame, Magic Fang, Ram’s Might, Entangle, Magic stone (+ pearl of power)
2: Barkskin, Natures favor, Soften Earth and Stone, Snake’s Swiftness mass
3: Giants wrath, Remove disease, Resist energy mass
4: flamestrike, spike stone
Gerre (wolf): AC 22, hp 39

Améya (elf swashbuckler): AC 20, hp 42

Party Location: Tiri Kitor Camp
Time: 1:00 pm, Day 6
Weather: Uncomfortably hot and sunny.

Map of Elsir Vale
Drellin's Ferry
Goblin War Map

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.

[This message has been edited by That One Elf (edited 08-25-2014 @ 08:45 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-03-09 06:07 PM EDT (US)     1 / 737  
DM:

The party has been journeying for days together, and at last they approach the Elsir Vale. The reason they have come is directly tied to their previous adventure--at its conclusion, in the treasure horde of the great hydra Talmorath, they found a map to another great treasure. It is reportedly in the hold of a certain Vraath Keep, and the map imprecisely indicates its location. However, they have decided on the road that their treasure hunt will at least wait until tomorrow, and their goal is to reach the small town of Drellin's Ferry for some rest.

The geography of the area is well-known, at least to Kaiden Shamus, the party's psion. He fills them in on some of the details--the Elsir Vale is built around the Dawn Way, a trade route that runs through the area. There are a number of towns and a couple of small cities, but nothing significant and everything based on the trade. Brindol and Denovar are the only cities large enough to have walls--Brindol is in the center of the vale, and Denovar is on the far side. Much closer is the Elsir River running down from Lake Rhestin, on the far side of which is the Witchwood, the location of Vraath Keep. Drellin's Ferry is built on the river.

Generally, Elsir Vale looks rather like this.

DM Note:

I've added that map to the opening post of this thread--there's no reason the party shouldn't have it at all times. There are other "handouts" that the party will collect over the adventure, and these will similarly be put up there for reference.

DM:

More information is available on the region, and indeed the Kaiden and Talthamadhar could probably piece together a large amount of the area's history if they put their heads together, but right now there's little reason to do so except curiosity. The party generally wants to get into the Witchwood to find this Vraath Keep.

Little did they know what lay ahead....

DM Note:

If there are any preparations or questions the party has at this time, now is the time to handle them. Feel free to chat for a bit as we cover these last few miles to Drellin's Ferry--once the adventure starts, we'll be hard-pressed to find time for anything but work.

I also need everyone's prepared spells at this time. I assumed for Talthamadhar that he would have his normal spells prepared.

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.

[This message has been edited by that one Elf (edited 11-04-2009 @ 01:57 PM).]

posted 11-05-09 11:37 AM EDT (US)     2 / 737  
Looking to the side of the road he searched for a clump of weeds for a perfect twig having a stiff stem on it.Finding one he reached down a pulled it from the ground brushing the dirt away and braking it to about 4-5 inches long. He placed the base of the twig in his mouth,with 1-2 inches sticking out.He squeezed down gently on the twig between his teeth and rolled it from side to side,savoring the gritty earth taste it produced.They were good as toothpicks too when needed he thought to himself with a slight smile.Life was good and it couldn't get better,for they were on another treasure trail.

Tubolt had left the Dwarves for adventure and had fallen in with a group of adventurers who had the same ambitions it seemed. the little party had overcome foes fairly well,and why not,Tubolt mused to himself, it was comprised with various talented individuals,who were masters at their skills.

Tubolt walked along in silence with his 2handed sword in his left hand slung over his left shoulder and his shield in his right hand.He was looking forward to a good hot meal and some rest in Drellin's ferry.

OOC. for your info ac-22

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me
Into darkness, into night, amongst the shadows we shall fight!
-/X\( ++ ) /X\-L.E.D.- Hand of Malice-/X\( ++ ) /X\-
posted 11-06-09 01:14 PM EDT (US)     3 / 737  
Jehu sat astride his pony and rode near the front of the party. He was an erratic and capricious gnome, changing from funereal austerity to maniacal mirth with nary a wink. He had left home early, his idolization of dragons being considered an oddity that he would outgrow. When he first breathed fire, that changed. His veneration and emulation of the draconic race increased, and he joined a band of treasure seekers and bounty hunters, a band as generally thrill-seeking and risk-taking as he was. With his wanderlust, his wants were satisfied, even as they battled greater foes and became more wealthy.

Earlier that day, in keeping with his morning rituals, he had protected his allies from the effects of his abilities. (Cast Endure Exposure on everyone in the party) He had also blessed himself with the power of a dragon's senses. (Cast Voidsense on himself) Now, they walked and rode, moving steadily towards Drellin's Ferry.

Now I will destroy the whole world...
posted 11-06-09 02:51 PM EDT (US)     4 / 737  
Ismal waked besides Tubolt and a little behind Jehu. He really enjoyed the hot sunny weather, his friends might find it too hot, but to Ismal there was nothing as too hot weather, the hotter the better. His inner source of elemental fire would simply absorb any excess heat, would even feed on it to some degree. That elemental core was also the source of Ismal’s supernatural strength, which made him far stronger than anyone in the party, even the stone child Tubolt who was also very strong..

Ismal looked the gnome riding in front of him. Jehu was the first dragon adept Ismal had ever meet and Ismal found it curious how the gnome was turning more and more dragon like. In some ways he was even more like a dragon that Ismal himself! Like the way he was able to use his breath weapon all the time without ever needing time to replenish it. Granted, Jehu’s breath weapon wasn’t as powerful as Ismal’s, but after using his Ismal needed a whole day to replenish it!

Ismal turned to look at Kaiden and Talthamadhar; the two grey elves in the party, between them they seemed to know a good deal about pretty much anything, including the local area which was completely unknown to Ismal.
”This forest, The Witchwood, that we will be entering when we cross the river, what do you know about it? Are vi likely to run into hostile people or creatures there?” He asked

Kris Lighthawk
Creator of Lighthawk's mod
posted 11-06-09 06:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 737  
Kaiden was walking with Talthamadhar--he got along with the other elf fine, and he liked having someone with which he could speak academically, especially about the natural world. Still, the two of them differed in a lot of ways, too. Talthamadhar's magic was way too passive for Kaiden, although he supposed that in his own way the other elf did use spells to change the situation no matter what it was. Still, he could relate more to him than anyone else in the party.

Presently he nodded at the impressive half-dragon Ismal as he approached. This was a sturdy combatant that Kaiden was happy to hide behind, even in the worst of combat situations. They had been there against the hydra and would probably be there again.

"Hmmm..." he said, thinking about the paladin's question. "From what I remember, it is on the dangerous side. There are tales of a ranger devoted to stalking those woods and clearing out beasts, but the fact that Vraath Keep was put on that road and now lies in ruins suggests that there is danger indeed." Immediately he regretted using the word 'danger', given the company, and he clasped his hand over his pocket as if to stifle the inevitable reply.

Of course, it was to no avail as Beowulf, his psicrystal, responded telepathically for both him and the rest of the party to hear. "All the more reason we should charge right in there! I don't know why we're wasting all this time going to Drellin's Ferry to sleep! We were made to be legends, not lay around in some cozy inn!"

Kaiden sighed. "Those of us that are living actually need sleep, 'Wulf," he responded wearily.

posted 11-07-09 07:02 AM EDT (US)     6 / 737  
Ismal had a hard time not laughing out lout at Wolf’s telepathic outburst. It never creased to amuse Ismal how Kaiden’s psicrystal seemed to very much have a mind of its own, and how it had a very different outlook at many things than Kaiden. The proud elf even seemed rather embarrassed about it, which just made it even funnier. It would however be dishonourable to make fun of Kaiden because of it, so Ismal managed to keep a strait face, and he simply ignored the psicrystal and responded to Kaiden’s original respond.
”That sounds reasonable, but do you think we could run into anything that could pose a real danger to us?” Ismal indicated the whole party with a wave of his hand ”After all, we are rather dangerous as well... to anyone that mean us harm anyway” Ismal said with confident in his voice

Kris Lighthawk
posted 11-07-09 09:52 AM EDT (US)     7 / 737  
"Hah!" Beowulf responded before Kaiden could form his words. "A real danger to us? You must be joking! If we could jump high enough, we could challenge the gods!"

Kaiden frowned. "You shouldn't even say such things, Beowulf," he said, irritated by the crystal even though he knew it just contained a splinter of his own personality. "Disrespecting the gods is a recipe for disaster."

He shook his head and looked back at Ismal. "You're right, though, Ismal. I don't think there's much in the wild this close to civilization that can pose much of a threat to us--or else the civilization wouldn't be able to exist," he said. "I think I heard a tale about a Gray Render once, though, and something about a group of Giants that prefer to exist independently and ignore the humans altogether."

Probably not the kind of giant that would attack them on sight anyway, but the more civilized type. Kaiden tried to remember just what kind they were--forest giants or something? Eh, probably doesn't matter, he decided.

[This message has been edited by that one Elf (edited 11-07-2009 @ 09:53 AM).]

posted 11-07-09 09:04 PM EDT (US)     8 / 737  
Lillianna rode on her wolf a little behind the two elfs. Almost subconsciously she kept an eye out for anything that might threaten the group in these to her unfamiliar surroundings.
It was an extremely hot day. Poor Gerre. she padded him on the head full of sympathy. To have all that fur! That was not something she had to just imagine, she had tried it often enough. But today she’d rather shape shift into a fish in a cold stream.

She listened interested to the Kaiden's answers to Ismal's questions and had to hide a smile at the psicrystal's comments.
She discreetly studied her fellow adventures. There was some truth in the boast that it would take a lot to be real a danger to this group.
One of the reasons she had joined this adventure in the first place was curiosity about some of the more unusual creatures in the group. She who prided her self of knowing a lot about the different creatures of this world she hadn’t even heard of likes of Jehu the dragon adept whisper gnome before she met him. Stone children at least she’d heard of but never met one before and Ismal was the first halfdragon she’d had the chance to get acquainted with. She always found it interesting getting to know all kinds of different people.
posted 11-07-09 10:50 PM EDT (US)     9 / 737  
Tubolt glanced over at Ismal and the two Elves as he listened,a smile appeared across his face.

"Well if there is danger"....Tubolt paused...."at least it won't be boring."

Tubolt had become fond of everyone in the group,He knew that he and the Half-Dragon were no doubt the first to be noticed by foes, but he also knew that the Grey Elves and the smaller ones in their party were the real danger. He smiled as he remembered times in battles when the Gnome and halflings would seem to come out of no were and cut a foe to pieces and be gone before the their enamy would know what happened.And what could be said of their Human...Tubolt would get dizzy at times if he tried to follow the swordsages sword play.

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me
posted 11-07-09 11:16 PM EDT (US)     10 / 737  
Talthamadhar walked quietly. He had in his mind images of a long-dead civilization that he was somehow derived from, wielding magic inherited from it across the depths of time, space, and other dimensions perhaps best left undescribed. He wasn't the only wizard by any means, but his traditions stretched to that ancient - or perhaps future - time, when the people of the living order would once again populate the world and their kingdom of knowledge, kindness, and yet at the same time endless adventure, would sweep away the unwanted trends that had gripped the world for so long.

Either way, there were deities, yes, deities, deities that could make or destroy the world, create alternating versions of the world. "Indeed, I do not believe wish to challenge the Gods." he said quietly in response to Beowulf's comment.

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 11-09-09 05:26 PM EDT (US)     11 / 737  
Zylo walked next to Lillianna, listening to the world around him. Kaiden's answers were interesting, he wondered what could have happened to this Vraath Keep? Zylo also couldn't help smiling when he heard Beowulf's comments. There probably wasn't much out there that would dare to attack a group of experienced adventurers. Still, he drew upon shadowy powers to create a blurring effect around him, it payed to be prepared just incase.

While reaching of his water skin he noticed that it was empty.
Anyone who has a little spare water?

*Stance = Child of Shadows*
posted 11-10-09 04:38 PM EDT (US)     12 / 737  
Lia reached down in one of her saddle backs and pulled out a water skin with about 1/4 of the water left. She held it out to zylo. “Here, I have some left”. He was using that blurring effect again, she noticed. Prepared for the worst it seems.
“I guess we'll be at this Drellins Ferry soon. They’ll probably be happy to sell us something to drink “. She said with a smile.
posted 11-11-09 10:26 AM EDT (US)     13 / 737  
Normally Ismal would lecture someone showing disrespect of the gods, but he had long since decided that Kaiden’s psicrystal was a hopeless case. The thing seemed to have no fear of the gods (or anything else for the matter). Of course, with no immortal soul, it did make sense somewhat to worry little about the gods opinion on you.
Ismal didn’t really think that a grey render would be something that could cause the party much trouble. A group of giants was another matter entirely, but from Kaiden’s description they didn’t sound very hostile…

Kris Lighthawk

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 11-13-2009 @ 07:26 AM).]

posted 11-12-09 07:28 PM EDT (US)     14 / 737  
Corpal smiled and quietly contemplated the trip ahead of them.
"Well it certainly will be interesting I'm sure."
Corpal wasn't much for talking he had very few "people skills" but he tried to make up for it with his ability to hide in the shadows. When people couldn't see you they tended to forget about you. Just the way Corpal liked it. Out of sight out of mind right?
posted 11-13-09 09:24 AM EDT (US)     15 / 737  
OOC: Alright, here we go.

DM:

The party was generally enjoying each other's company, which was pretty important for a group of adventurers that needed to trust each other in order to make an effective fighting cadre. Little did they know how soon it was before they would need to use those skills again.

They were walking down the road and it became rather forested on either side:

The road crests a small rise and descends into a dusty grove in a large, shallow dell. An abandoned farmhouse, partially visible through the trees, stands on one side of the road. You've passed a dozen spots much like this one already today, but this one feels wrong. Then you glimpse the glint of mail through the brush by the side of the road. Fierce warriors--tall, hairy humanoids with wide mouths and flat noses--are lying in wait!

You also catch a glimpse of something farther back along the road--a firey red hound.

DM Note:

Here's our first taste of combat for this module. Here are the enemies we can see so far:

Hobgoblin Regulars (12)
2 HD, LE Medium humanoid (goblinoid)
AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17
HP 13
Saves: +5/+1/-1
Melee Attack: Melee mwk longsword +4 (1d8+1/19-20)
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8

Hellhound (3)
4 HD, LE Medium Outsider (extraplanar, lawful, fire, evil)
AC 16, touch 11, flat-footed 15
HP 22
Saves: +5/+5/+4
SQ: Immunity to fire, vulnerability to cold
Melee Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d8+1 + 1d6 fire)
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 6

Map

Note: The party is blue, the enemies are red. The gray block is fog of war--you can't see into the cabin. The H's are Hobgoblin regulars, the HE's are hell hounds. The brown dots are trees--you can't stand in their squares, but they grant cover. The light green is just grass, but the dark green is shrubs, which are difficult terrain but don't grant cover unless you're prone, when they grant both cover and concealment.

Ugh. I had though I was lucky and each character's name started with a different letter, but now I realize that Talmathadhar and Tubolt both start with T! Next time I make the map, I'll distinguish them, but for now, Tubolt's the one in front!

Enemies:
H1: AC 18, hp 13
H2: AC 18, hp 13
H3: AC 18, hp 13
H4: AC 18, hp 13
H5: AC 18, hp 13
H6: AC 18, hp 13
H7: AC 18, hp 13
H8: AC 18, hp 13
H9: AC 18, hp 13
H10: AC 18, hp 13
H11 AC 18, hp 13
H12: AC 18, hp 13
HE1: AC 16, hp 22
HE2: AC 16, hp 22
HE3: AC 16, hp 22

Party:
Kaiden: AC 20, hp 24
Jehu: AC 25, hp 54
Tubolt: AC 20, hp 47
Corpal: AC 16, hp 29
Ismal: AC 22, hp 30
Zylo: AC 22, hp 42
Talthamadhar: AC 12, hp 16
Lia: AC 20, hp 30
Gerre: AC 22, hp 39

Everyone make an Initiative check. If you get 12 or higher, you can move this round. If you get lower, don't move until after the enemies get a round, but make a post either way to put your check in there.

Everyone's flat-footed until they make their first move of combat.

[This message has been edited by that one Elf (edited 11-13-2009 @ 10:02 AM).]

posted 11-13-09 11:26 AM EDT (US)     16 / 737  
Ismal had not really expected an ambush so close to the Drellin's Ferry, so he didn’t react fast enough to attack before the hobgoblins.
(Initiative: 6+2=8))

Kris Lighthawk
posted 11-13-09 11:39 AM EDT (US)     17 / 737  
Jehu glanced up, having noticed the band of vicious-looking creatures that had appeared on the roadside.

(Initiative: 11+2=13)

posted 11-13-09 02:20 PM EDT (US)     18 / 737  
Lia registered glints of amor among the trees to one side of the road and court a glimpse of the hellhound further down road, just in time to react. “ambush!”. She immediately started summoning one of the most powerful animal allies she was able to.

Her usually very alert wolf on the other hand was uncharacteristically taken completely by surprise and didn’t react fast enough to do anything before the enemies attacked. Perhaps he had gain so much fait in this strong “pack” they were with at the moment, that he had lowered his guard or maybe it was just the heat.

Lia: initiative: 16+3= 19, Summon natures ally III (converts Evard’s Menacing Tentacles); Gerre: Initiative: 1+3=4
posted 11-13-09 05:10 PM EDT (US)     19 / 737  
OOC: Feel free to act, Gruesy.

IC:
Kaiden was decidedly surprised by the attack, but he was also quick, and he seized the moment with determination (Initiative 8+4=12). He looked around himself quickly, beginning to realize that there were a lot more opponents than he had originally thought, and he felt like a fool for not noticing them earlier.

"Hobgoblins!" he exclaimed.

"Combat!" Beowulf exclaimed telepathically into the minds of the party. "I was about to die of boredom from the chatting that was going on before!"

Although Kaiden didn't share the sentiment, he did enjoy these chances and was thankful to have the crystal on hand when they arrived--Beowulf gave him a physical boost in these battles that helped him withstand attacks.

He noticed a group of hobgoblins to the right of the road and moved into position off the road and close to his targets (move to A9). Then, splaying his fingers and extending his arms towards his chosen array of opponents (H7-11), he called upon his power and generated from his very mind a wash of fire in a huge cone before him. A chorus-like hum surged around him, the auditory display of his power.

(Kaiden casts fire cone targeting H7-11 and using 6 power points [it's a 60-foot cone]. No attack roll. Damage: 6d6+6: 4+2+3+1+2+6+6 = 24 damage. Saves (against DC 15+3=18): H7 -- 15+2[cover]=17, H8 -- 14+2[cover]=16, H9 -- 15+2[cover]=17, H10 -- 9, H11 -- 4, all failed. They each take 24 and are instantly killed.)

The attack went off perfectly and the firey blast annihilated the whole array of targets, washing through the forest and setting its fair of brush and trees on fire (though it would likely burn out in a few seconds).

"Brilliant!" Beowulf exclaimed. Kaiden just looked around to see who was next.

[This message has been edited by that one Elf (edited 11-13-2009 @ 06:04 PM).]

posted 11-13-09 05:22 PM EDT (US)     20 / 737  
initiative-9+3=12

The shine of metal flashed in the corner of Tubolts' eye for a split second, as the sun shone through the trees off to his left.His caution and experience told him what it was...armor.

move to H5

Tubolt immediately dropped his shield and moved around the tree to the left.Coming around He looked down into the eyes of the smaller hobgoblin for no longer than a twinkling of the eye before his greatsword sliced through the beast, dropping it to the ground

7+11=18-hit..Damage-4+3+11=18
H1 at -5hp

posted 11-13-09 11:12 PM EDT (US)     21 / 737  
Jehu moved quickly, drawing one of his daggers as he did so. It gleamed with a soft heat. Raising the dagger up, he let loose a great fire from his mouth, roasting two hobgoblins with his breath. The small gnome laughed. Today was a good day for burning these impertinent lesser beings.

Moves to I-9, hits Hobgoblin-2 with breath weapon. 4d6 (4+6+2+1=13) DC 20 to save. 14+1=15, failed. 4d6=5+4+3+1=13. Hobgoblin-2 at 0 HP.

[This message has been edited by Gruesy (edited 11-16-2009 @ 01:31 PM).]

posted 11-14-09 06:20 PM EDT (US)     22 / 737  
Initiative 8+6=14

Zylo noticed the glint of armor, and was ready in an instant. He moved quickly down the road while drawing both of his short swords.

Pointing one of his swords at a hobgoblin, a piece of shadow emerges. Wrapping itself around the hobgoblin's neck and squeezing until the hobgoblin drops to the ground.

Moves to H9. Attacks H6 with Shadow Garrote, ranged touch: 18+8=26 (hit). Damage: 5d6: 5+3+5+2+3=18. H6 at -5hp
posted 11-15-09 09:48 PM EDT (US)     23 / 737  
Initiative 15 + 2 = 17

"Well, what a surprise," Talthamadhar remarked. He quickly surveyed the situation, and decided that there wasn't much that he needed to do against the current threats - he didn't think his comrades would have any trouble with the hobgoblins, but the fire-breathing canines were more worry. He stretched his neck and looked around, then set a spell ready to slip up any enemies that got too close to the main combatants.

Talthamadhar readies to cast Grease under the squares of any enemy that comes into melee reach of any of the party's fighters.

posted 11-16-09 09:26 AM EDT (US)     24 / 737  
OOC: I provided the saves for each enemy so that you can roll them yourself. Do so in the future. This time, he failed it (rolled a 5).

DM:

Considering their sudden drop in numbers, the Hobgoblins didn't appear too worried yet. The three hellhounds came rushing forward towards Jehu and Zylo, and the hobgoblins still on the side of the road closed with their targets as well.

When one of the hounds reached Jedu, Talmathadhar was ready with a quick grease spell, and the spell also caught the second hound that was close on its heels. (Grease cast. Saves: HE2 -- 17+5=22, success. HE3 -- 14+5=19, success) However, both hounds were either very lucky or very skilled and managed to stay on their feet, though both slipped and nearly fell.

Those two hounds then let off their firey breath, cones of flame leaping out at Jehu and Zylo. (HE2: 2+2=4 fire damage. Saves: Zylo, 4+9=13, success, half damage. Jehu: 8+6=14, success, half damage. HE3: 3+4=7 damage. Saves: Zylo, natural 1! Jehu: 7+6=13, success, half damage. Total: Zylo takes 9, Jehu takes 5). Zylo wasn't quite quick enough to dodge the second blast, but both of them managed to escape with only minor burns.

Behind this action, from the farmhouse came more enemies--a powerfully-built hobgoblin with two obviously magic shortswords followed by a fourth hell hound, and another hobgoblin clad in banded mail and brandishing a heavy mace. The latter was shouting something that sounded like profanity at Zylo, but he was really casting a spell. (C casts hold person targeting Zylo. Save vs DC 14: 3+8=11, failed! Zylo is paralyzed and helpless, but can make a Will save against the effect each round as a full round action--save against DC 14).

These new opponents were clearly a cut above the rest of the rabble.

DM Note:

New Enemies:

Uth-lar (B on the map)
HD 4, LE Medium Humanoid (goblinoid)
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14
HP 37
Saves: +6/+4/+2
Melee Attack: Magic Shortsword +9 (1d6+6 dmg/19-20)
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8

Zarr (C on the map)
HD 3, LE Medium Humanoid (goblinoid)
AC 18, touch 10, flat-footed 18
HP 29
Saves: +6/+1/+5
Melee Attack: Mwk Heavy Mace +5 (1d8+1 dmg)
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 12

Map

Note: I fixed the deal with naming. Tubolt is Tu, Talmathadhar is Ta.

Enemies:
H3: AC 18, hp 13
H4: AC 18, hp 13
H5: AC 18, hp 13
H12: AC 18, hp 13
H1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 all dead or dying.
HE1: AC 16, hp 22
HE2: AC 16, hp 22
HE3: AC 16, hp 22
HE4: AC 16, hp 22
B: AC 17, hp 37
Z: AC 18, hp 29

Party:
Kaiden: AC 20, hp 24
Jehu: AC 25, hp 49 (54)
Tubolt: AC 20, hp 47
Corpal: AC 16, hp 29
Ismal: AC 22, hp 30
Zylo: AC 9 (13 vs ranged), hp 33 (42), paralyzed
Talthamadhar: AC 12, hp 16
Lia: AC 20, hp 30
Gerre: AC 22, hp 39

[This message has been edited by that one Elf (edited 11-16-2009 @ 06:04 PM).]

posted 11-16-09 07:52 PM EDT (US)     25 / 737  
Jehu turned on the infernal beasts that had scorched Zylo and himself. The little gnome grinned, expelling a breath that made the air glitter with frost, and chill swept through the area. Two of the hellhounds howled in pain, and one fell, shivering, to the ground. The other stayed on its feet, but barely. Jehu turned his gaze south, and yelled in Goblin to the burly hobgoblin that had appeared. "Salutations, you ugly bastard! You should learn to keep your dogs chained up, or we'll put them and you down ourselves!"

Breath weapon [Chill Breath effect, 15' cone] from the southwest corner of I-9 extending southeast, hitting Hellhounds 2 & 3. DC 19 save. He2 - fails (2+5=7) 21 damage, at 1 HP (5+3+3+3=14 times 1.5 for cold vulnerability), He3 - fails, (13+5=18) 25 damage, at -3 HP (6+5+4+2=17 times 1.5 for cold vulnerability)

posted 11-16-09 09:09 PM EDT (US)     26 / 737  
The crackle of fire filled the air,and Tubolt smiled as off to his right a Hobgoblin burst into flames and fell to the ground. One of his fellow comrades having fun he mused to himself.Tubolt herd some howls...and he knew the dogs had met an unpleasant welcome, but stayed focused on what was coming toward him with a grin on his face.

Tubolt looked farther into the trees and noticed a few more Hobgoblins headed in his direction.He twirled his 2 hander once in his hand and readied his next swing.Well if their going to come to me....Tubolt mused to himself....just saves me time not haven to chase um down

16+11=27,hit - 4+1+11=16,damage

H5 at -3hp

Tubolt kicked the hobgoblin as it fell, knocking it out of the way and looked at its comrade trailing it a few paces behind.Tubolt didnt move....but just readied himself for another swing.

[This message has been edited by Accusync72 (edited 11-16-2009 @ 09:21 PM).]

posted 11-16-09 10:56 PM EDT (US)     27 / 737  
OOC: Remember that Grease continues to affect creatures on my turn, and stays on the field. IJ-10/11 is the most reasonable place for the grease, so I'm going to roll for the hellhounds now.

IC:

The remaining hellhound in the area afflicted by Talthamadhar's Grease spell found that their footing was still treacherous. Only barely was it able to stay on its feet! (H2 makes a save 15 + 5 = 20, success)

Talthamadhar noticed the spellcaster move out of the shed. I was wondering if this was going to happen, he thought. He took a step to the side and muttered a few arcane words and released a pouch of powder, and suddenly the hobgoblin magician hit the ground like a sack of bricks! (Talthamadhar moves to D4, casts Sleep on Zarr, will save 3 + 5 = 8, fail, Zarr is asleep.)

posted 11-17-09 05:41 AM EDT (US)     28 / 737  
Will Save: 14+8=22, success

Cursing himself for first not paying attention to the second hell hound and then, during the surprise of getting burned letting this cursed spell affect him.

There was nothing to do but to try to force his body to start moving again. Doing so proved easier than expected, but he should never have let the spell affect himself in the first place.

Zylo smiled when he saw the hobgoblin magician hit the ground, hopefully my luck will improve now that the caster is down

changes to assassin's stance
posted 11-17-09 09:14 AM EDT (US)     29 / 737  
Kaiden surveyed the rapidly changing battlefield but immediately knew what he was going to do next. Negotiating the brush with some tricky footing, he made his way swiftly over to the road and readied himself for another huge blast of energy. The cone power he had used previously again seemed to be his best option, but instead of fire he would use cold--the hell hounds didn't like it.

Again the sound of a chorus swelled around him and he conjured from his very mind the huge sweeping frost that he then expelled from his hands. (60-foot cone of cold via cold cone. Enemies in cone: HE1, 2, and 4, H12, and B. 6 pp expended (38 left), 6d6+6 damage: 3+5+5+3+5+3+6=30 dmg. DC 18 Fort save to resist: HE1: 9+5=14, HE2: Natural 1, HE4: 17+5=22, H12: 2+1=3, B: 18+6=24. Dmg: HE1 and HE2 take 45 dmg, HE4 takes 22, all three are down. H12 takes 30 and is down. B takes 15 and is at 22).

Once again, the psionic spell worked wonderfully, dropping all of Kaiden's targets but the tough-looking hobgoblin with the two swords.

"Looks like there's one challenge in here!" Beowulf telepathically exclaimed. "Whoever takes that blighter down gets an ale on Kaiden!"

Kaiden rolled his eyes.

[This message has been edited by that one Elf (edited 11-17-2009 @ 09:16 AM).]

posted 11-17-09 01:01 PM EDT (US)     30 / 737  
A little late to react, Ismal charged towards the tough looking hobgoblin with the magic swords. Ismal figured that the tough hobgoblin would be the leader of the enemies and that he might actually be able to do some damage to his friends.
”By the power of Bahamut; evil begun!”
Ismal yelled as he put all his power behind an overhead slash at the hobgoblin. Anticipating the attack the hobgoblin tried to block it by catching Ismal’s greatsword between his own crossed swords, but Ismal’s attack was so powerful that the swords was knocked out of the hobgoblins hands. Still with considerable power behind it, Ismal’s sword continued down into the hobgoblins shoulder, where it easily cut through the armor and made a deep wound. Eyes wide open in disbelief; the hobgoblin tumbled backwards like a falling tree.
(Charges to H13, 7+11+2(charge)+2(smite evil)-3(power attack)=19, hit, 1+5+11+1(fire)+3(smite)+6(power attack)=27 damage, B is at -5 hp)

Kris Lighthawk
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 25  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing » Red Hand of Doom -- IC Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames