Please login or register

AoW2/SM Scenario Design
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Timer giving me grief..
posted 04-16-04 00:48 AM EDT (US)   
i've set up an event where a unit moves onto a shipwreck and is given the option to "rebuild" it. if they choose to rebuild it, i deduct some gold from them and set a timer of 3 days.

now, what's *supposed* to happen is after 3 days, a transport ship is spawned. this isn't happening. if i remove the timer and just spawn the ship based on the Request Reply being "yes", it works fine.

when i set the timer, i trigger it with the Request Reply of "yes". then for my Spawn Unit event, i set the trigger to be the timer. according to the very brief descriptions of the events/triggers/conditions, a timer trigger fires when the specified timer has finished counting down the number of days specified in it's Set Timer event. or at least that's how i interpreted it.

i'm new to AoW2/SM scripting and would appreciate any suggestions. tia!

Replies:
posted 04-16-04 01:42 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6  
As far as I remember timer does not work with "new turn" trigger.
To say the truth there are even more triggers that does not work together with some events. Be patient and spare your time for testing.
posted 04-16-04 07:54 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6  
Try the following:
Choose a boolean flag, we name it B1 here.

In the "Set Timer" event make a logical conjunction in the trigger with "AND NOT B1".

Make an additional event *following* (!) the Set Timer event, namely a "Control Flag" event that sets B1 to "true" with the same trigger condition as of the Set Timer event (except that you leave away the conjuncted B1 condition, of course).

I'm confident it will work!

[This message has been edited by Final Bolt (edited 04-16-2004 @ 07:56 AM).]

posted 04-16-04 10:35 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6  
Webusver, i'm not trying to use a "new turn" trigger...

Bolt, i tried what you suggested but the results are the same. after the 3rd day has passed, nothing happens. i tested it out with a Show Message event that should be taking place when the timer finishes its countdown, and it still doesn't work. is the Set Timer event broken or something?

posted 04-17-04 04:26 AM EDT (US)     4 / 6  
The Set Timer event is in a row of new script statements that bear an occurence error. So it never reacts to setting occurence to "Once" but always behaves as if set to "Always". - I have pointed out this error after the release of SM but seemingly the developers have ignored what I am saying (they usually do!)

I had good results with the work-around so far, but of course I cannot exclude there being more errors conncetd to this event. And everything is made more complicated by the fact that scripts are not always and everywhere executed in sequential order.

[This message has been edited by Final Bolt (edited 04-17-2004 @ 04:36 AM).]

posted 04-17-04 09:48 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6  
Are you sure about that Final Bolt? I have not seen this in my use of the timer event, but I could have missed it.

RajTanath: send me the file and I'll take a look at it. Seems like it should work. Include an explanation of what you are trying to do and what events are involved too, if you would.

posted 04-18-04 00:44 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6  
I'm quite sure. I will write a little pamphlet about it when I have done more invetigations in all possibly involved script statements.

If your trigger conditions for Set Timer are - by coincidence - a one-time happening (like e.g. an enter area) you will likely not notice the error. But if you have conditions that persist, like e.g. a negative condition (new day + object (not) in area; but perhaps also a Request Answer, I'm not sure about this) you can easily see that the Set Timer occurs every day and thus resets itself again and again and appears to not function. In fact it functions too often!

I have proven in my new Creek Adventure 200 map that a New Day Set Timer can work perfectly when you apply the mentioned work-around.

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Scenario Design » Timer giving me grief..
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames