General Discussion & Suggestions
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Open Source Age of Wonders Clone
posted 03-25-06 10:24 AM EDT (US)   
Hi All,

Just a note to draw your attention to an open source project I am working on. It's basically a clone of the original Wonders. The coding is well under way. Help is welcome with graphics and sound, though, or any ideas you want to submit.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openwonders

Cheers
Chris

Replies:
posted 03-27-06 03:47 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
Looks fine. And the OS approach could make modding rather easy. Any downloadable alpha version?

I can provide my conversions of Civ3 graphics, which are basically free stuff once you give credit to the artists, but I wonder whether the format you used for the sprits is too small. Moreover, are animations implemented?

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
posted 03-27-06 07:48 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
You should check out the AoW1 Source Code petition.

===================================== Alphax =====================================
============= LASFS Operative #4 =============
The VoW Inn
"I'll bribe you to change the inn link in your sig." -- TDK
================================================================================
posted 03-28-06 01:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
No downloadables yet - I'm working on a stable alpha release at the moment, but there are a few bugs popping up here and there, the mouse-click-to-hex calculator (works out which hex you clicked on given xy co-ords) isn't great, and the pathfinder seems to hang the system every now and then. Also I just started a new job so my time is constrained (had hoped to release before starting).

Maybe the whole graphics area needs to be revisited. I'm not good at graphics or at writing a graphics engine, what's there has been a learn-as-you-go thing. (However, increasing the tileset size shouldn't be hard from a purely programming p.o.v.) No, there are no animations at present, which admittedly makes the whole thing more dull.

I'm better at writing the object model for the game data, which is looking pretty ok so far. One thing I did think of was if it might be possible in the future to separate the game objects from the interface so concurrent development is easier and maybe someone with experience could code a frontend, maybe even in a different language. Just thinking out loud though. All definitions data is stored in XML so adding/changing unit classes, tasks, buildings, skills, etc. is quite easy.

posted 03-29-06 11:01 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
Great idea. I would help you but I don't have any relevant skills, so I shall support you morally by saying Good luck.

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN, last of the Azrac warriors.
posted 08-15-06 05:06 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
How is this coming btw?

Also what language did you decide to write it in?

Also did anyone just think of using maybe freeciv or Battle for Wesnoth as well as a starting point? They both already has network capabilities initiated within it.

Just a suggestion. If I had more experience with C I would actually think about starting my own fork of Battle for Wesnoth. I noticed that it was brought up in the other forum talking about handing the source code over.

[This message has been edited by Sir Akebar (edited 08-15-2006 @ 05:10 PM).]

posted 09-25-06 03:07 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
Quoted from RosenMcStern
"I can provide my conversions of Civ3 graphics, which are basically free stuff once you give credit to the artists,"

Ummm, no. I'm about 99.9% sure that's NOT how copyright law works in the united states Not sure about italy, but since a U.S. company holds the copyright, and many users would be in the U.S., i'm pretty sure they'd have something to say about this.

posted 09-25-06 04:43 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
He's referring to units created by Civ fans, and posted on the web for use with Civ. At least, I'm 99.9% sure of this.

[This message has been edited by The_Stranger (edited 09-25-2006 @ 04:44 AM).]

posted 09-26-06 02:34 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
ah. if it's 100% fan-created images, then sure. I was thinking of conversions in the more traditional sense, and took it to mean something along the lines of "derivative work"
posted 02-13-08 01:04 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
The alpha version is available, just so you know (i don't know if the is OLD information)
posted 02-13-08 03:13 AM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
How does one get it?
posted 02-13-08 05:09 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
It is VERY OLD info. The alpha allows you to send counters around a map, but little more. I even posted replies on sourceforge but got no answer. I think the author has just quit development.

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
posted 02-13-08 05:34 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
Posted replies? Everything seems exceedingly empty, I don't see any posts to speak of.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 02-13-2008 @ 05:40 AM).]

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » General Discussion & Suggestions » Open Source Age of Wonders Clone
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames