You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Mod Making
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to change race, ability, & spell names!
posted 12-15-03 01:52 AM EDT (US)   
I just thought this would be of tremendous interest to anyone making a mod so I thought it deserved it's own thread here so no one misses out. Velaryon has figured out how to change names for races, abilities, spells (and I assume it would also work for other things - like structures). Check it out here.
Replies:
posted 12-15-03 11:23 AM EDT (US)     1 / 23  
Guys, send me please your MLKD editor if you want, I need such a thibng very much. I need to change some races` names and will joyfully test it. zotisic@mail.kar.net
so you`re welcome
posted 12-15-03 01:25 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23  
This is really a good news. This give me a different prespective in my MOD. Thanks Velaryon!

Climber's Generic MOD v2.x for AOWSM can be downloaded here

Devs please read & implement Concised Wishes Nice to have Wishes for AOWSM Playing Race(es) vs Wizard Ehancing existing units in AOWSM

posted 12-15-03 03:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 23  
@Kharagh:
Renaming structures and other things seem to work for me as well as renaming spell names.

@Climber:
Thx

@WonderR:
Sent you an eMail.

Here's a short guide for using the editor:
0. Backup your .mlds
1. Start the program
2. File -> Open (you'll probably want to open ResStr.mld)
3. Make your changes (just click in a field name type something in)
4. File -> Save
5. Exit

posted 12-16-03 05:45 AM EDT (US)     4 / 23  
I'd like to get this editor, please send it to erich.simon@inwind.it. Thanks.
Did you know if it will work for AoW1?
The hacking strategy seems the same.

P.S.: sometimes take a look to AoW1 Mod Making, in fact I find the way to change AoW1 names this summer and it works same for AoW2. However I never had the idea to write an editor, it's really good.

[This message has been edited by Dhuval (edited 12-16-2003 @ 05:50 AM).]

posted 12-16-03 09:17 AM EDT (US)     5 / 23  
@Dhuval
Mail sent.
I haven't tested my editor with AoW 1 but if the file format is the same there's no reason why it shouldn't work.
posted 12-16-03 09:59 AM EDT (US)     6 / 23  
Thanks. I'll test it
----------------------
Test done. It works

[This message has been edited by Dhuval (edited 12-16-2003 @ 10:21 AM).]

posted 12-16-03 10:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23  
Velaryon, are you going to be uploading your program to the misc. downloads section?

I wouldn't mind a copy of your program, very well done. Cheers.

Calthodian8@aol.com

posted 12-17-03 00:21 AM EDT (US)     8 / 23  
valaryon,
I could certainly use your editor too for my MoM mod.
please please

farookcs@yahoo.com

posted 12-17-03 02:29 AM EDT (US)     9 / 23  
Well, but which string does r e a l l y change the Race names? I found a string where the race name is followed by description. Is it there, in ressource, mld file or I ned to fix another?
And onother thing. I you disable all language features except english and your native (I just lft the English dictionary) the game and editor will load much faster.
posted 12-17-03 08:49 AM EDT (US)     10 / 23  
@Calthodian:
Mail sent.
I will definitively upload by program to the misc download section but before I do that I would like to verify that it works correctly. So when several people get my editor working I will upload it.

@mercurycs:
Mail sent.

@WonderR:
You'll need to change the description of the race, of course, and the race name (singular and plural). (Latter found in ResStr.mld)

posted 12-17-03 09:35 AM EDT (US)     11 / 23  
The editor is usefull for AoW1, too, so you should upload it also in AoW.heaven.

Again thanks, customizing AoW takes much less time with your editor

posted 12-17-03 11:38 AM EDT (US)     12 / 23  
@Dhuval
Glad to hear that
I will proably upload the editor this weekend (if nobody finds a bug that requires fixing, that is).
posted 12-18-03 03:45 AM EDT (US)     13 / 23  
Thanks a lot Velaryon.

Your editor seems to be working fine so far, won't be able to give it some good use until after the holidays. I'll let you know if I have any probs. Cheers.

posted 12-20-03 01:47 PM EDT (US)     14 / 23  
Uploaded the editor to AoW2Heaven today.
posted 01-09-04 05:18 AM EDT (US)     15 / 23  
Yesterday I`ve downloaded MLDEditor and tried to use it for AOW1. The problem is I cannot save anything, and thereafter AOWEditor doesn`t open.
posted 01-09-04 11:09 AM EDT (US)     16 / 23  
Strange, I had no problem with it under AoW1.
What have you changed? Maybe you have overwritten original 'Native', instead you should put new names in 'English', which actually is empty, then select 'English' as language in the setup.
posted 01-09-04 07:11 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23  
I'm a bit confused. I haven't tested MLDEdit with AoW1 but in theory it should be able to save any file it is able to load...
posted 01-10-04 07:21 AM EDT (US)     18 / 23  
Indeed I first tried to modify "native" entries, realized that it doesnīt work, thus made entries in the "English" column, but the result was the same. But I didnīt change game language cause I thought itīs English by default. Iīll check this and will write again when Iīve found what the problem is...
posted 01-11-04 06:00 AM EDT (US)     19 / 23  
OK, it was the game language. I set it to "English", now it works. Thanks!
posted 01-11-04 07:08 AM EDT (US)     20 / 23  
Note that if you select 'english' all words are taken fron 'native' column, except the ones you write in 'english' column, so you can change only the few words you need.
posted 01-11-04 11:22 AM EDT (US)     21 / 23  
can you please send it to me??

I have written 50% of all the guides for guides in the AoW1 strategy section
posted 01-12-04 02:59 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23  
Send what? If you want MLDeditor, it's freely downloadable from AoWSM download section.
posted 01-12-04 08:05 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23  
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Mod Making » How to change race, ability, & spell names!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames