AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Troubled Lands Co-op - Pre-planning
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 06-26-07 02:46 AM EDT (US)   
Right, to make this a bit cleaner and more easier to join, I'll start this new topic instead of using this.

The game is a Co-op, with the map being played called Troubled Lands, by Jeff Pinard. You can find his work within the archives here. Go to the letters M-T, look for 'Pinard, Jeff', click his name, and look for the map called 'Troubled Lands'.

Of course, I'll provide the storyline he posted right here:

Jeff Pinard - Troubled Lands

The Undead are swarming the ancient borders of the Land. It has been said they will try to take over the Land in its entirety. In their Evil quest, they have already threatened the Orcs and Dark Elves into an uneasy alliance. Can the Forces of Good and Neutrality put aside their differences to rise up and save the Land from this most fearsome enemy? Differences in climate separate the Lizards, Azracs, and Frostlings from realizing peace. Racial tensions separate the Frostlings from their relatives, the Goblins. To make matters worse, the rivalry between the Elves and Dark Elves will certainly turn into war.
Another unfortunate side of this terrible turn of events, is the peaceful vale between the Halfling Kingdom and the Land of the Undead. This beautiful and peaceful valley had just been settled, and cannot hope to defend itself. Many had sought the quiet peace the vale had offered, and now they may be left with nothing.
There may be help though, in the form of ancient tales, which speak of magical treasure that can aid in the fight against One's enemies. The ancient writings speak of several places deep under the Earth. These areas - once inhabited by the magic of old - left their legacy behind. These same tales speak of magical pools that reflect these ancient magics. Watch these mirrored pools carefully. They can reveal the darkness as it spreads.
A strong word of caution: Sources say the Undead Generals have been training for years in advance of this war. They have been patiently waiting for their enemies weakest moment to begin their terror. Be very cautious of these dangerous Undead Heroes. May the forces of Good aid you in your Quest.

12 races - 7 spheres of magic - 5 heroes - Aggressive - Large

The link to download the map is here

Main Info(Updated Regularly)

These are the races that are available to play:

*Halflings-Mawgan Porth, ridgewayrambler@aol.com

*Elves-Lord Naismith, joenaismith@hotmail.com (I'll take the Elves, unless someone else requests it )

*Humans-Enginerd, mjschuck@fidnet.com

*Highmen-Deroman, Ragederoman@luukku.com

*Dwarves-CrazySlyHawk, emacfallon@hotmail.com

Frostlings-Free

Lizards-disenchanted, disenchanted.aow@gmail.com

Azracs-themak3, themak3@hotmail.com

Races with "*" are ones that are mandatory to fill up first. If one of these races are not take, please choose one of them before considering the others.

"*" When these races are filled up, I shall give an additional three days for any other people to pick up the remaining races to join this epic fight, and then after that, we shall start. I shall send the first turn, and I will make a separate topic for a turn-log.

I would like all of you who are considering joining this grand battle to post your email, and one of the races that you want to be. Make sure you pick one of the "*" races if they are not filled up already. We need those minimum filled before we can move out.

And prepare yourselves, I am estimating this will be one of the longest battles in Co-op I've ever done (I've barely done two games XD) All races not picked by any player will be assigned to CPU Knight, and let free to do as they will as AI's.

Overview

A brief overview for some of the races that you may want to consider if you join.

Dwarves-Start underground and are decently far from any allies. Prepare for an underground war and many overwhelming battles with the advantage going to the enemy.

Halflings-You are in the middle of the conflict, I mean it. Consider yourselves the front line of defense, as almost any attempt to attack by the evil races will have to go through you and your Elven buddy beside you.

Elves-Expect the same, you guys are definitely going to be seeing many battles, and if we don't have a human player pick up the Lizard race to your east flank, prepare for battle on another front.

Humans, Highmen- If you chose these two races, I think judging from the map, prepare to play a supporting role in the this epic battle. Your starting area seems pretty far behind allied lines, and you'll probably be reinforcing the Halfling and Elven lines.

Frostlings and Lizards-You guys are are at the very east flanks of this map, and if we get enough people that you guys can pick one of these races, prepare yourself to act as the flankers and also supporting roles for this battle against the might of evil.

Azracs-You guys are at the bottom left corner of this map, and only thing I would fear is being cut off by the Orc's early before you can make friendly contact and support from the only nearby ally, the Lizards.

Rules:

Undead, DarkElves, Goblins and Orcs are unplayable. They are the enemy we will all be working against.

This is an allied battle. No changing of alliances between the players. Diplomacy with the neutral AI allowed. Diplomacy with the Undead, Orcs, DarkElves, Goblins forbidden. They are the enemy.

Please, respect the rules of the game, and the proper etiquette here:

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,629

Also check this out if you want some more background info on PBEM's:
http://aow.heavengames.com/strategy/pbemtips.shtml

And when you roleplay in your turn log, please, skim over this site to remind yourself or learn how to Roleplay a bit better.

http://www.grey-company.org/Circle/rpelf/etiquette.html

[This message has been edited by Lord Naismith (edited 07-24-2007 @ 00:09 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06-30-07 01:33 PM EDT (US)     1 / 69  
I'll take the humans

mjschuck at fidnet dot com
posted 06-30-07 02:03 PM EDT (US)     2 / 69  
themak3@hotmail.com for humans

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 06-30-07 09:57 PM EDT (US)     3 / 69  
CrazySlyHawk, already have you down for the Dwarves. And Humans are already taken by enginerd, who I welcome aboard to this grand battle about to begin! So for now, unless more people join, you will have to stick with the Dwarves. You may possible switch to the Azracs if more and enough people join!

Updated.
posted 07-01-07 01:33 PM EDT (US)     4 / 69  
You surprise me Lord Naismith.
This looks like an interesting game to come.
Never shall the lands fall to dead ones, not as long as the catholic crusaders of Highmen stand alive.

Count me in, Ragederoman(at)luukku(dot)com

-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. Frozen Warrior-/X\(++)/X\-
posted 07-01-07 02:01 PM EDT (US)     5 / 69  
With us arrives the elite legions of the light bearing Highmen! Fullfilled are the races most needed to combat this battle. Three more days I shall give this open invitation, and then I shall send the first turn, and the start for the survival of the 'Troubled Lands'.

I am editing the map to suit our needs now. In particular hints to make this harder?
posted 07-01-07 04:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 69  
If you want to make it harder then here are few thoughts...

Set all AI to emperor, instead of knight.

To slow down our expansion efforts put some walls around some of the indie towns. That way you must bring a wall crusher with you and we only have one to start with.

Some of the wandering beasts are pretty weak... what's up with one lone wolf wandering around... don't they travel in packs? Beefing up the wandering beasts would also slow down our initial expansion.

If you really want to make life miserable set all the indie towns to something evil... then we'd be stuck migrating lots more than we normally would.

You could put guards on the all the mines and nodes.

Have all the neutrals that aren't selected by human players start off allied with the evil races.

That's just a few ideas to start with, use any or all of them as you see fit.
posted 07-01-07 04:14 PM EDT (US)     7 / 69  
Terribly sorry...

themak3@hotmail.com for azracs!

He told me to put him down for that, not humans!

His username is themak3 and he has went from novice to accomplished AoW player in a short time!

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 07-01-07 05:29 PM EDT (US)     8 / 69  
Ah! Thanks a bunch Enginerd! And CrazySlyHawk, is this a buddy of yours that wants to join? If I get it correct, his user name is themak3, and his email address is themak3@hotmail.com, and he wants the azracs? That's fine with me, just confirm what I said so I can update the list.

And again, great ideas Enginerd, I'll definitely put some of those in, so prepare yourselves!

Also, do you think we'd stand a chance if I throw in some...I don't know, persay some ravaging gangs of dragons about? Or would that up the hard factor a bit too much? Remember, there is like...5 or 6 of us now, against 4, it may make the game the level of difficulty we want. ;D

THanks again, three more days for people to join, then the first turn shall be sent. Races open, Azracs(Being decided), Frostlings, and Lizards.
posted 07-01-07 05:35 PM EDT (US)     9 / 69  
I confirm tht now mak3 for azracs

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 07-01-07 09:33 PM EDT (US)     10 / 69  
Roger Wilco miboy! Mak3 for Azracs!

That's another comrade for the battle friends! Two more races are available! The Frostlings and the Lizards! Three more days till opening turn! Getcha race today!!

Updated. >

[This message has been edited by Lord Naismith (edited 07-01-2007 @ 09:37 PM).]

posted 07-02-07 09:17 AM EDT (US)     11 / 69  
Hey I thought Frostlings would be first to go, but seems they not... Lizards are probably gonna be last pick, they're my neutral race to my hotseat friends, but I wouldnt recommend them. However we all get decent starts so a few Turtle Ballistas and Catapults would be warmly welcomed! Come on guys...

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 07-02-07 09:52 AM EDT (US)     12 / 69  
Such a shame! I was hoping to take more or less role of the catholic divisions working in the north along side with protestants (enginerds humans) against the satanic armies of hell (undead) and muslim heathens (azracs). This seems to be impossible now and I am highly disappointed.

Suddenly the light bearing Highmen feel less pleasing option. If you would be up for some real challenge, Undeads could be assigned to human player (like me ), so it would be a Co-op against one human.

How would that sound like? Naturally if refused, I stick with the Highmen.

posted 07-02-07 12:07 PM EDT (US)     13 / 69  
I pick dibs on frostlings. Yeah I would have thought that frostlings to be a first overall pick eh? guess not. Well all the better for me. =P (email chris_tam94@hotmail.com) EDIT: yeah I'd like to add some stuff to LN cough cough.

[This message has been edited by CTerrorist (edited 07-02-2007 @ 06:29 PM).]

posted 07-02-07 03:00 PM EDT (US)     14 / 69  
Aw darn, sorry Deroman, I think your offer would work really well, and I do not doubt your skills as a player, it'd definitely be a harder battle for all of us. But this is my first time trying this out, a big Co-op battle I mean, so I want to see at least this first game go through as an all human vs AI game. I'll give ye my word that in the future games I may organize, I'll be sure accept your request. ;D

As for CTerrorist, you are in charge of the Frostlings!

Free races-Lizards

Two more days until Turn opening! I'm editing the map big to make it harder. And for a special challenge to Enginerd and Deroman, I've added some things. >-D

Hmm......CrazySlyHawk, would you friend like to change to the Lizards perhaps?" And then some player's needs can be satisfied? Like *cough*Deroman wanting to go against the Azracs*cough* it might prove to be a choice that can make this battle a bit more harder. Azracs have a huge flanking advantage on the enemy, but if you take the Lizards, and assuming nobody else joins, I can set the Azracs to allied with the evil Orcs because...they want to please their Azrac gods, so then it'd be a united front for the evil guys all along the bottom half of the map.

Entirely up to your friend, I'm fine with it. Also, does he have an account here on the forums? We will need something or someone to post in the Turn Log when his turn is past, even if he can't.

Editing...any more ideas to make the map harder?

[This message has been edited by Lord Naismith (edited 07-02-2007 @ 03:02 PM).]

posted 07-02-07 05:33 PM EDT (US)     15 / 69  
Deroman - lol, I was hoping no one would pick Highmen or Frostlings or Lizards or Azracs so I could just sweep around the outer edge and thump on all of them... guess I'll have to play nice instead

LN - so you've added a few things for the Humans/Highmen to deal with... bring it on
posted 07-02-07 06:31 PM EDT (US)     16 / 69  
Sorry for not making earlier post. I see the logic behind the 'United Chaos Front', but I couldnt leave CrazySlyHawk alone underground. Besides Lizards are very annoying to play! Apologies...
posted 07-03-07 00:39 AM EDT (US)     17 / 69  
WELL TOOBAD! YOU ARE NOW THE LIZARDS! MWUAHAHAHAHA!

Kidding! It's all good. Game commencing in one day and a few hours. Check your emails, and prepare yourselves for a hard time! Bwuaahahaha! Don't die!
posted 07-03-07 09:39 AM EDT (US)     18 / 69  
Hmm.. I guess now is a good time to download the map and have a test with it (as how it would normally go)..

I never doubted that you would doubt me Naismith. I was just thinking that it would have been very interesting to have players Co-oping vs a single player who stands very mighty.. but naturally it would no longer be actual Co-op (since Co-op is against AI). And besides I did believe that you would say no anyway, so no big shock over this side of the waters. Nonetheless if enginerd moves too quickly (as he tends to do) to route me in small piece of land possessions I belive that there might just be another crusade against the heretical rebels of protestantism .

P.S. for Naismith: My first big Co-op aswell (although not first Co-op), besides it has been a long time past since I last time played with any of the hypocrite... *cough!* eeewww... "Good" races I mean. Should be enough of a challenge in it, if nothing else a morale one .

posted 07-03-07 06:09 PM EDT (US)     19 / 69  
Good to hear! ^_^ Game commencing in a day, only one hint I must strongly advise, stick together. I've tested, and I've found no other way you can survive unless you stay close, don't spread to thin. Course, if your Deroman or Enginerd on the other hand....that may be a different story....^_^
posted 07-03-07 06:57 PM EDT (US)     20 / 69  
So... do we get a copy of the updated map or are we playing this one blind
posted 07-03-07 07:16 PM EDT (US)     21 / 69  
If you could give me the good reason(s) why I should post the updated map here that your going to be playing, I will. ;D
posted 07-03-07 08:42 PM EDT (US)     22 / 69  
lol... reasons... let me see...

Deroman is going to need all the help he can get if he wants to keep up with me

I just want to spread myself thin... intelligently
posted 07-03-07 09:38 PM EDT (US)     23 / 69  
Overruled! The thing I put in is specifically for you both to find out. It may not be a great success, but I wanna surprise you somewhat at least! >.
posted 07-03-07 10:22 PM EDT (US)     24 / 69  
How nasty of you...

The Humans and Highmen will rule this map!!! We will overcome the mighty obstacles placed in our front and we will stand tall! We cannot be defeated or stifled....
posted 07-03-07 10:33 PM EDT (US)     25 / 69  
;D We'll see about that, get past the first ten turns, and you'll have me convinced that you are still the champion of Age of Wonders: The Original Classic!

EDIT: Just for calling me nasty, I've added one more thing for you Enginerd! Let's see you get past this! ;D

NOTE TO ALL PLAYERS:

Game commencing within less than 24 hours. Updates that I think you should know about and prepare yourselves for.

#1. I've changed the map greatly.

#2. I really can say that if you want to survive early, you should think about sticking together, CLOSE. I won't say anymore on that.

#3. BECAUSE I have edited the map greatly to enhance the difficulty, I want to give notice and warning in advance that because of my fiddling about, some things may be messed up. Like, you may see some kind of units not realistically supposed to be seen in that environment, or perhaps some of the signs and stuff don't fit in with our situation quite 100 percent. Or maybe you may get certain things happening that didn't happen or appear to be when you play tested the map.

#4. I WILL be making another thread for our Co-op game, which is intended to be used to post your turn log, how-ever style you wish to RP it, and if you don't want to roleplay it, at least post that you sent the turn.

I will list some of these rules I just said now, and some previously in the new thread, so that you can remind yourself of what I expect, and what we expect as fellow players.

To sum it all, just basically be careful, and conduct yourself accordingly. ;D

Oh yes, did I mention opening turn being sent real soon? ;D

PS. I want EVERYONE who is thinking of roleplaying their turn-log to quickly skim over this site here. Please and thank you! ^__~

[This message has been edited by Lord Naismith (edited 07-03-2007 @ 11:25 PM).]

posted 07-04-07 09:52 AM EDT (US)     26 / 69  
#1st, enginerd is way better than me in this game. At least this is how I belive it is. Enginerd is unquestionable champion of AoW1 until proven otherwice in battlefields. Nonetheless, playing blind is fine with me.

#2nd, although being the champion of champions enginerd is not immortal or undefeatable. If you seriously don't belive that he(/we) will get past the first 10 turns, he(/we) propably won't.

#3rd, the christian holy catholic divisions and the mighty men of protestants shall march together and rid this land from forces of Satanus. Blue and white, side by side.

posted 07-04-07 10:12 AM EDT (US)     27 / 69  
XD I think #3 just gave #2 better chances. This is a big hint for both of you. There is a BIG chance for you too to be working together. Although it is possible for one of you to work on your own against this, I made it so it'd be hopefully more fun for both of you together. I'll say nothing else.

Game commencing with a few hours! I've got to go somewhere today, when I come back I'll send the first turn out! Any last super ober minute requests?
posted 07-04-07 10:14 AM EDT (US)     28 / 69  
Will you still be keeping up with our co-op game ; Small World, Naismisth?

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 07-05-07 02:33 PM EDT (US)     29 / 69  
so has the game started yet?
posted 07-05-07 02:36 PM EDT (US)     30 / 69  
it certainly has, we just waiting for enginerd to play his turn! He'll be on soon...

Token Irish Gamer!

[This message has been edited by CrazySlyHawk (edited 07-05-2007 @ 02:36 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs) » Troubled Lands Co-op - Pre-planning
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames