You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing
Moderated by ChowGuy, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Red Dragon Inn and Tavern
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 57 58 59 60  Next Page »
posted 08-12-04 09:17 PM EDT (US)   

The Red Dragon Inn and Tavern

A Gathering Place for Adventurers and Storytellers.

No fisticuffs in the Tavern please, by Order of The Sheriff

Replies:
posted 12-25-12 09:22 AM EDT (US)     1741 / 1778  
Hello Inlaa, and welcome to the forums.

FWIW, the RP forum is hosted on AoWH for historic reasons, but is open to the entire HG community. We're not specifically focused on the AoW world setting here, though there's no specific rule against it. You might want to read over the Guidelines and some of the existing threads to get an idea of what goes on here first, then perhaps join one of them (ask permission first though, as most of the current RP's are moderated) or propose a new one.

There's also no restriction on format - some (currently most) threads run on some variant of D&D or other rules, but other quite successful free-form campaigns have been run in the past as well.

Just remember, the most important rules are to respect your fellow posters, and to have fun! So again, welcome to the site and Merry Christmas.

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
posted 12-25-12 03:14 PM EDT (US)     1742 / 1778  
Hi Inlaa! Welcome to the board!

We've been very slow lately, largely due to RL for most of us. Maybe with you here it will pick up again. What are you interested in playing?

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 12-27-12 08:08 AM EDT (US)     1743 / 1778  
I am sorry about my long absence, RL stuff has left me little time for roleplaying.

Fortunately that is going to change, as I will have a lot more time on my hand now (at least for the next half year) so I should have plenty of time for roleplaying.
As soon as Tilia has posted in the trilogy (I believe she will do so today…) I will add the next DM post

Also:
Welcome to the forum Inlaa it is good to see a new person here
All the role-plays’ that are going on at the moment are based off the D&D rules, although the one Beren is GM in is quite different from a typical D&D RPG. If you are into D&D I am sure we can find a way to let you join one of them.

Kris Lighthawk
Creator of Lighthawk's mod
posted 12-28-12 01:43 AM EDT (US)     1744 / 1778  
Thanks for the welcome, and I'm sorry for the late response - Christmas aftermath and all that.

Anyway, it does so happen that I'm a huge fan of D&D. I'm not as much of a fan of forum D&D, though, as the one time I tried that, it ended badly. Most D&D combat takes a long time to finish even over a tabletop game or via a chat program; thinking of how long it would take over a forum makes me feel a bit awkward, to say the least. That said, I'm not going to shut down a D&D-based suggestion; I just prefer something a little less... gamey when I roleplay via forums.

That said, this does not mean I absolutely refuse to play forum D&D. I just have a slight bit of dread at the prospect of D&D combat over a forum.

As for what interests me, I'm a fan of anything that lets me partake in a bit of everything. That is, I like some combat, I like some political intrigue, I like adventure (which does not always include combat, but most certainly can), and I love them all more when they're mixed together. I suppose that's a generic response, but there you go; I'm a fan of multifaceted roleplays.

Admittedly, I'm less a fan of combat over forum roleplay than I am of plain ol' character interaction, but that's only because the places I've RP'd combat scenes at before tend to everyone suddenly trying to "win," which seems quite silly as roleplay is a group effort.

So, in summary: Fantasy, character or story focus; combat is good, but I don't like it to be the meat of the story.
posted 01-02-13 02:50 PM EDT (US)     1745 / 1778  
Once upon a time, we played roleplays in the AoW universe here. We haven't done that in a very long time. I would not be opposed to trying a new one, but the best source of lore that we have about the AoW universe is the AoW2Heaven site.

If you want to join another roleplay, look for a thread that says recruitment thread on the boards and post that you're interested. Or, if you want to start a roleplay, post a recruitment thread yourself - there are plenty of examples on this board.

posted 01-05-13 07:21 AM EDT (US)     1746 / 1778  
Well, I did some looking about, and I realize that most of the active threads are... well, there's a lot of stuff that I would have to read to actually get going in one of them. They generally seem to be far along on their paths, too. I never was comfortable as a late entry.

That said, here's the part where I fish for interest: Is anyone interested in a fantasy adventure roleplay with child characters?

Let me rephrase that: Would anyone be interested in roleplaying a child in a fantasy world, wherein said child ends up on an adventure?

The idea I had in mind is pretty much exactly what I wrote above. It wouldn't be D&D based, and there wouldn't be any rolling for combat. Combat, actually, probably wouldn't be the focus, since a group of 9-13 year old characters probably shouldn't be solving problems with brute force. Further themes would depend on what the interested parties would want, but "adventure" and "lost" and "hunger/starvation" seem like good themes to start with.

If this idea doesn't get much interest, I'll be happy to join someone else's thread. I just don't see any active ones that are also "new." I really don't enjoy the prospect of reading through 30 pages of an In Character thread, just as many of an Out Of Character thread, and then possibly study a Sign Ups thread to get to know all the characters in the story since they probably won't be described in complete detail in the In Character thread. It's rough being late to the RP show.

EDIT: Actually, Quest For the Wind looks short enough to maybe jump into. I'll take a look at that.

DOUBLE EDIT: Ah, I remember reading these threads when I first came here. The introduction to Arda was a bit lengthy, and while I got the gist, I did end up feeling like I'd need to make a study out of it.

Beren - Would you be willing to make a briefer summary of the world? I read over a good portion of it about a week ago, but-- honestly, I've forgotten most of it by now. It would also be good to have a quick reference available. (This assumes that you still have room for another in the roleplay.)

TRIPLE EDIT: And, um - how different is the world, as a whole, from Tolkein's world? I don't remember Aboleths in his world, for instance. Is the geography pretty much the same?

[This message has been edited by Inlaa (edited 01-05-2013 @ 07:33 AM).]

posted 01-05-13 10:32 PM EDT (US)     1747 / 1778  
That said, here's the part where I fish for interest: Is anyone interested in a fantasy adventure roleplay with child characters?

Let me rephrase that: Would anyone be interested in roleplaying a child in a fantasy world, wherein said child ends up on an adventure?
I'd be interested in playing a character in such a game, but probably not as a child - more likely as an animal sidekick of the child or something like that.
Beren - Would you be willing to make a briefer summary of the world? I read over a good portion of it about a week ago, but-- honestly, I've forgotten most of it by now. It would also be good to have a quick reference available. (This assumes that you still have room for another in the roleplay.)

TRIPLE EDIT: And, um - how different is the world, as a whole, from Tolkein's world? I don't remember Aboleths in his world, for instance. Is the geography pretty much the same?
Well, to be fair, I'll have to admit that it's pretty different from what you might expect from Tolkien's world.

The underlying idea is that, as actually is the case in Tolkien's world, mortals and deities alike are capable of performing and thus altering the Music of the Ainur, thus altering the universe and its history. As described in Ainulindalë in the Silmarillion, these different Themes, of which three exist within Ainulindalë and more have been added, represent different versions of the Music, and thus different versions of reality.

Now, as far as the game is concerned, while, yes, the geography of Tolkien's world is largely unaltered, we are far to the east of anywhere that is explored in any of Tolkien's books (e.g. if Middle Earth is Europe and the Lonely Mountain is in western Russia, then we are currently playing on the eastern edge of the Gobi Desert).

The world is pretty complicated and there is a lot of background information (quite a bit of which I haven't even written down), but I make a policy of working with players and suggesting possible origins to fit them in better, and even letting players create towns or even small kingdoms to be relevant in their backstories and then fit them in, so don't feel intimidated in any way.

posted 01-06-13 04:47 AM EDT (US)     1748 / 1778  
I'd be interested in playing a character in such a game, but probably not as a child - more likely as an animal sidekick of the child or something like that.
That would work just fine, though the exact nature of the animal/animal-like sidekick probably depends on what everyone in the thread wants as far as themes are concerned. For instance, you could always play a normal animal - that works just about anywhere -, but a talking animal or a magical being in animal form (say, a genie) would depend on what sort of world we play in.

So, in short: Your suggestion sounds good, but before I give any definite answers, I'll wait to see if there's more interest, and if there is, I'll make a thread for it.
The world is pretty complicated and there is a lot of background information (quite a bit of which I haven't even written down), but I make a policy of working with players and suggesting possible origins to fit them in better, and even letting players create towns or even small kingdoms to be relevant in their backstories and then fit them in, so don't feel intimidated in any way.
Alrightie, then. I'll finish my reading now and ask any further questions in the OOC or Character thread. Thankee!
posted 01-06-13 06:16 PM EDT (US)     1749 / 1778  
That would work just fine, though the exact nature of the animal/animal-like sidekick probably depends on what everyone in the thread wants as far as themes are concerned. For instance, you could always play a normal animal - that works just about anywhere -, but a talking animal or a magical being in animal form (say, a genie) would depend on what sort of world we play in.
I could go either way.
Alrightie, then. I'll finish my reading now and ask any further questions in the OOC or Character thread. Thankee!
Ask questions in the OOC thread, so that we keep the Character thread less cluttered.

posted 01-11-13 00:36 AM EDT (US)     1750 / 1778  
I was very busy today and wasn't able to answer posts. I'll try to respond tomorrow.

posted 01-18-13 02:46 PM EDT (US)     1751 / 1778  
Hey ChowGuy, could you un-archive this thread?
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=11,2381,,365

Kris Lighthawk
posted 01-18-13 03:36 PM EDT (US)     1752 / 1778  
Done.

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
posted 01-18-13 03:49 PM EDT (US)     1753 / 1778  
Thanks!

Kris Lighthawk
posted 02-05-13 07:15 AM EDT (US)     1754 / 1778  
Hey guys,

I'm going out of the country for 6 weeks starting tomorrow. I won't have any internet access. You all have a great month and a half, and I'll see you when I get back!

"'I quite agree with you,' said the Duchess; `and the moral of that is--"Be what you would seem to be"--or if you'd like it put more simply--"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."'"' --the Duchess from Alice in Wonderland
posted 02-21-13 10:09 AM EDT (US)     1755 / 1778  
I am sick, which is why I haven't been posting. I hope it's not serious.

posted 03-21-13 10:59 AM EDT (US)     1756 / 1778  
Hi everyone,

I really hate to do this to you, but real life is leaving me in a situation where I feel the need to take a hiatus from gaming for a while. I've not been around or reliable of late anyway in part because of this, but at this point I should make it official. No, I'm not happy about it.

posted 03-21-13 12:49 PM EDT (US)     1757 / 1778  
Sorry to hear that Beren.

In other news...I'm back for a month or so.

"'I quite agree with you,' said the Duchess; `and the moral of that is--"Be what you would seem to be"--or if you'd like it put more simply--"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."'"' --the Duchess from Alice in Wonderland
posted 03-21-13 02:33 PM EDT (US)     1758 / 1778  
Yes, sorry to hear that Beren…

But can you be more specific? Do you expect to be back and if so, when? Any wishes for what we do with your characters?

Kris Lighthawk
posted 03-23-13 07:25 AM EDT (US)     1759 / 1778  
LOL...real life...it always seems to be getting in the way.I too can't seem to find enough time to spare with this new job.It is paying the bills at the moment but it keeps me away from home all week .I don't think I'll last to long at this new job if things don't change alittle.I still would like to keep going in the threads we are playing in as I'm enjoying them. I still should be able to post if they get moving.Kris,I may be emailing you about a few thing if you don't mind,I trust your email address is still up and running?

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me
Into darkness, into night, amongst the shadows we shall fight!
-/X\( ++ ) /X\-L.E.D.- Hand of Malice-/X\( ++ ) /X\-
posted 03-23-13 09:12 PM EDT (US)     1760 / 1778  
It is, and you are welcome to email me any time you like…

Kris Lighthawk
posted 05-20-13 08:44 AM EDT (US)     1761 / 1778  
This place is far too quiet for my liking.

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.
posted 06-28-13 06:55 PM EDT (US)     1762 / 1778  
*stops in to listen to the crickets chirp*

posted 07-03-13 08:39 AM EDT (US)     1763 / 1778  
Oh great. Just what this place needs - a "Cricket Thread."
posted 07-08-13 10:22 AM EDT (US)     1764 / 1778  
Unfortunately, it looks like without Beren we sort of lost critical mass, especially with Accusync's relative business with his new job.

It's been a few months now without any real activity. I believe I have email addresses for both Beren and Kris, so maybe I'll see if I can stir something up.

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.
posted 07-10-13 12:45 PM EDT (US)     1765 / 1778  
Well...Ive been around, but I think(or thought) I have posted as much as I can(as far as "turns" go in each thread). I figured Kris would post something(in the thread I'm running) in response to Khalon Tor's statements,and didn't want to move ahead before his conversation with Khalon Tor was completed.? He had mentioned he would like to post something about his characters with their new lvl. I guess we are all alittle busy with other things at this time.?. I think we can move in my thread if we choose too,as we will say that Berens characters we called home so to speak. But we can wait also for Berens return.

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me
posted 08-29-14 08:50 AM EDT (US)     1766 / 1778  
I am going to be away for this weekend, so don’t expect any posts from me until Sunday evening…

Kris Lighthawk
posted 01-02-15 10:21 AM EDT (US)     1767 / 1778  
Hi all, and Happy New Year!

Things have been pretty slow for the last month, is everyone still around?

posted 01-02-15 06:56 PM EDT (US)     1768 / 1778  
yeah, been pretty busy of late.The holidays have been full with seeing in-laws and such.I'm actually sitting down now and attempting to complete the next DM post,trying to remember where I was at. I bought me a Beretta92, 9mm. pistol for my self for Christmas . I plan on getten my conceal-carry permit and I'll use it to carry. I went and shot it at targets at a friends house over vacation and I love the gun,it's fun to shot.I also sold my dads bolt-action 20 gauge shot gun and bought a pump 20 guage with a pistol grip.One like the one Arnold S.(can't remember how to spell his last name) used when he was riding the motorcycle and shooting at the big truck in the "Terminator" movie.I think it was the 2nd one.Although I don't think I'll be twirling it around to cock it like he was doing in the movie...lol.

[This message has been edited by Accusync72 (edited 01-02-2015 @ 07:01 PM).]

posted 01-03-15 08:32 AM EDT (US)     1769 / 1778  
Nice purchases, that sounds like a lot of fun. At some point I am considering getting a small sidearm myself... my brother Kyle is pretty well-armed now, he bought a very nice shotgun this year and already conceals.

posted 01-07-15 10:12 AM EDT (US)     1770 / 1778  
Hey ChowGuy, hopefully you see this.

Two of our folks -- Beren V and BeNotConformed -- are both having issues posting on the boards currently.

BNC said this:

"I can see it and I'm logged in but when I click 'reply to post' it says there was a system error and 'we are currently unable to post your message to the forums'. I can't write anything."

Not sure if you can look into this for us. I don't know if Kris is having a similar issue or if he just hasn't gotten on lately.

[This message has been edited by That One Elf (edited 01-07-2015 @ 10:13 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 57 58 59 60  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing » The Red Dragon Inn and Tavern
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames