Please login or register

AoW:SM Tech Help & Bug Reporting
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Ranged attacks cause game crashes during battles
posted 06-06-08 01:46 PM EDT (US)   
This is happening to me from time to time in my PBEM games.

When a unit with ranged attack tries to shoot a flying unit during TC the game ends to windows desktop.

If I open the game again and start the same battle, the game crashes again at exactly the same point.

So, I end using Fast Combat to be able to continue playing, but, and this is really interesting, if I try to replay the battle (if the computer used the unit with ranged attack to shoot a flyer in FC) the game also aborts during the replay.

Here is the log:
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows XP   (5.12600)
DirectX Version: 9.0 (4.09.00.0904)
Desktop Resolution: 1024x768x16
Physical Memory: 725 / 1526 MB
Virtual Memory: 1702 / 2047 MB
Winsock 2 Detected: YES

AoWSM Version: 1.20
Resources ID: 0
Display Resolution: 1024x768x16
Display Mode: Full Screen
Pixel Format: 5-6-5
3D Renderer: Hardware
Display Driver: Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller (ialmrnt5.dll)
Driver Version: 0.0.0.0 (32902 / 13698)

Detail Level: Normal
Cursor Mode: Software
Sound: On
Music: On
DirectSound: On

Map: RTD - Walker's Crusade (fromage67,Unnapu,Timelord,Torso,PawelS,Frall).asg
Day: 7
Play Mode: Classic
Connection Type: Email
Players: 8
Human Players: 6
Seated Player: 3
Current Player: 3

Combat: Auto Replay
Players: 2
Current Player: 1

Application opened at: 1:05:06 PM
Error during FX Update
Error during FX Update
Error during FX Update
System Time Error - Restart AoW2
Application closed at: 1:13:17 PM (4 errors)

Thanks!

Use a password in your PBEM games, and contact the Game Password Keepers.
Replies:
posted 06-06-08 02:22 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
I've never experienced anything like this, but I notice that:

AoWSM Version: 1.20

Normally, it should be 1.30. We had a similar issue with Lordduck in the Wizard's Folly. (Regarding the version, not the ranged attack vs flyer crash.)
posted 06-06-08 02:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
Actually, there are a few such bugs (?).
For example, in the recently edited First Conflict map, everytime I tried to mature a hatchling at a life node from the north-west direction, it crashed. I changed direction and then attacked from north and it worked.
Similarly, when bombers use self-destruct and you do a replay of the battle, the game crashes sometimes.
Another example - in our Athendore game, when a Dwarven hero (AI controlled) switched to a melee attack during one of Dafyth's battles, the game crashed (repeatedly).
I suspect these might be location-specific or map-specific (like the life node and the Dwarven hero in a city with enchanted walls) but some are pretty frequent (especially the bomber one - I've had it happen quite a few times).

When I checked the error logs during these crashes, I only get a System Time Error message (and I don't think its related to dual-core machines because I used to get these errors even on my previous laptop that was definitely single-core)

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
posted 06-06-08 03:32 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
Yes, those sound like similar problems, I guess there is no fix/workaround available, right?.
I play in my laptop, which is often on hibernate state. I try to remember to restart it before I start playing my turns, but I can't tell for sure if that helps.

Although, tonight, I am going to do a test, with the PBEM turn which caused the crash.
Normally, it should be 1.30.
mmm, before someone brings the issue of bad/illegal/doubtful copies, I must say that my installation is a clean, original, patched one.
The main screen of the game shows UPatch 1.4 / Version: 1.30.0.2616

Use a password in your PBEM games, and contact the Game Password Keepers.
posted 06-06-08 03:39 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
Unnapu, I wasn't implying any piracy! I am just saying that you should normally see 1.30, even if you see UPatch 1.4 / Version: 1.30.0.2616 on your main screen. I have no idea if this relates to the crashes. Maybe it has to do with how you applied patches.

Here is my log as an example:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (5.12600)
DirectX Version: 9.0 (4.09.00.0904)
Desktop Resolution: 1280x1024x16
Physical Memory: 355 / 1023 MB
Virtual Memory: 1824 / 2047 MB
Winsock 2 Detected: YES

AoWSM Version: 1.30
Resources ID: 0
Display Resolution: 1280x1024x16
Display Mode: Full Screen
Pixel Format: 5-6-5
3D Renderer: Hardware
Display Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS (nv4_disp.dll)
Driver Version: 0.0.0.0 (4318 / 914)

Detail Level: High
Cursor Mode: Software
Sound: On
Music: Off
DirectSound: On

Application opened at: 1:11:06 PM
Application closed at: 2:06:24 PM (0 errors)

[This message has been edited by fromage67 (edited 06-06-2008 @ 03:42 PM).]

posted 06-06-08 03:49 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
I wasn't implying any piracy!
I know. I just wanted to make it clear for other forumers.
I have read some posts of people reporting bugs and the answers of others implying piracy as the only cause of the problems.
Maybe it has to do with how you applied patches.
It was a long time ago, but I think I only downloaded UPatch 1.4 and did only one installation. Perhaps it is necessary to install first 1.3 and then 1.4 to get the right version on the aowsm log file?
posted 06-06-08 03:51 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
System Time Error - Restart AoW2 ... known issue for systems using a dual core or quad core.

Solution: You need to open task manager find the aowsm.exe and set affinity for only one CPU being checked.

*This information is inside the sticky thread called : Random crashes and Video problems

There can be only one.
Highlander

[This message has been edited by NTJedi (edited 06-06-2008 @ 04:09 PM).]

posted 06-06-08 04:09 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
Thank you, but I am not running dual core or quad core.

My thinkpad has an Intel Pentium M Processor 1.60 GHz.
posted 06-06-08 04:11 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
Have you tried uninstalling the game, deleting all folders related with AOW:SM, then running a registry cleaner and then reinstalling AOW:SM ?

There can be only one.
Highlander
posted 06-06-08 04:18 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
I reinstalled a few weeks ago, so it is all fresh in my mind.

After you install from CD, you only need to get the Upatch file. Then, there are two distinct steps of installation, one for 1.3, and one for Upatch.

I didn't delete my old folder, I just renamed it. That way I could cut & paste certain non-system files like scenarios, images and saved games.
posted 06-06-08 09:09 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
Hello, I did the test:
- Used the Replay button to watch the battle again: the game crashed in the exact same point (archer shooting).
- Restarted my computer.
- Used the replay button again for the same battle and it worked, no crash.

I guess it has something to do with windows and its memory manage.
posted 06-07-08 00:31 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
Have you used memtest to test your ram... one of your ram sticks might have a few bad spots.

There can be only one.
Highlander
posted 06-08-08 07:44 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
It happens to me from time to time when I try to watch quick combat in events list. Like TL had described sometimes the game just crashes for various reasons, usually for lack of resources. Having your PC on all the time, running heavy background applications, playing the game while opening other applications, ... all that can easily crash the game. I experience that a lot because I often keep my email client open all the time and the browser. My PC sometimes stay online for weeks.

Edit: I just checked Ecthelion_21 game version. He has the same aowsm.exe as me (file size, version number), but anyhow his aowsm.log indicates version 1.20. I think it's the same case as Unnapu's

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!

[This message has been edited by naecO (edited 06-09-2008 @ 08:51 AM).]

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW:SM Tech Help & Bug Reporting » Ranged attacks cause game crashes during battles
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames