AoW:SM Gameplay Help & Strategies
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Resurgence ability???
posted 02-12-06 07:01 PM EDT (US)   
I have a question about resurgence.

I have a hero who owns and wears a ring that gives him the resurgence ability (I can see his ability in the list of skills my hero has).

I attack a magic vault with him and a small army. My hero dies but my remaining troops kill all the defenders and I win the battle.

He is supposed to resurect with a small amount of life, is he not? I thougth he was supposed to but he does not. Is this normal?

Replies:
posted 02-12-06 07:45 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14  
I've wondered about this myself, since Resurgence doesn't always seem to work. I wonder whether the fact that it is an item makes a difference.
posted 02-13-06 11:00 AM EDT (US)     2 / 14  

Yes, resurgence via items does not work: when the hero dies s/he loses his/her items, and with that, of course, also resurgence bestowed through an item.

Resurgence itself does work. Just not via items. You have to enchant your hero with the Resurgence enchantment, if you can get it.

posted 02-13-06 06:27 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14  
If that is correct, then items with that ability are totally useless...
posted 02-13-06 11:11 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14  
I echo having the experience that resurgence via an item fails to work.

The explination that the item gets dropped 'makes sense', I guess, but then items with resurgence definitely do not make any sense.

In my case, I think I may have created the resurgence item using the item forge.

This is a mistake I will not be repeating any more.

posted 02-14-06 03:00 AM EDT (US)     5 / 14  
There are two resurgence abilities in the editor. Placing one on items does not work. I have seen an item with resurgence being used in a Race to Death map that worked!

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
posted 02-14-06 10:15 AM EDT (US)     6 / 14  
my experience is that resurgence works as long as the 3 rounds pass while the battle is still going on. if the battle ends before the hero resurges, then resurgence doesn't work (dropped item?)
posted 02-14-06 01:15 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14  
In my last game where the item with resurgence didn't properly work, I definitely waited more than three rounds...and I repeated the trial several times...my hero never once resurged (even though resurgence was listed in the hero's abilities list).

Recently, I played a game with a user-created scenario, and again an item that was supposed to provide the resurgence attribute failed to work. I believe that this was an item that I found placed in some guarded structure. (The item also carried the self-destruct ability). I know the item was meant to allow the hero to resurge afterwards...but that didn't happen. (The scenario was Atehndore II).

---------------------------------------------------

Quote:

my experience is that resurgence works as long as the 3 rounds pass while the battle is still going on.

Also, I have had gameplay experience using the phoenix and astral sprite units...

...If I have 2 or 3 phoenixes in a battle, one phoexix can die...and if the battle is over in less than 3 rounds, I still get my phoenix back if I won the battle.

So, drawing on my experience, I know that there must at least be 3 conditions met before resurgence can happen.

Those three conditions are:

1)...the unit must die in the battle

2)...either three more rounds of the battle must take place or the enemy must be defeated, whichever comes first

3...at least one attacker must survive the battle

...and when all three conditions are met, then resurgence can happen (should happen).

From multiple players, there has been noted before a bug with resurgence on items.

And if there is a work-around that mapmakers can use to insure that an item with resurgence will properly work as intended, then the information should deserve to be posted in some FAQ or something.

The information could serve to be two separate FAQs...in a FAQ for mapmakers that gives tips and tricks...and in a FAQ for game players that tells of known bugs.

posted 02-16-06 02:02 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14  
Actually, I have never had a problem with resurgence not working, with one exception. If you self-destruct with Da Bomb, resurgence does not work right. However, Da Bomb or other resurgence items do work w/o the self destruct.

In fact, I have discovered an exploit with this retlated to the spell animate hero.

Normally you may only have one reanimated hero at a time. That hero is pure evil/undead. Now, give that hero a resurgence item and get them killed in a battle, but make sure you win. Then, when the hero resurges, s/he is still pure evil, but no longer animated, so you can cast animate hero again and get another animated hero. Pass the resurgence item to them and repeat.

posted 02-17-06 09:37 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14  
IMHO, probably Resurgence failure after Self Destruct use is caused by different state of dead unit: either by lack of corpse or by different method to resolve death.
Just in case. Here's synopsis of ability records. For both 1.3 and 1.4UP, both resources and save file:
"Da Bomb", "Stained Tunic" items, Phoenix unit - Resurgence Enchantment Ability (ResurganceAbility), .Enchantment.Origin=4 (built-in).
Well, Resurgence on "Stained Tunic" works too, and all 3 abilities are exactly the same.
(Undead) Zombie, Edit:(Syron) Astral Sprite - Resurgence Enchantment, .Enchantment.Origin=4 (built-in), .Enchantment.?dword[14]=-1.

But is there any difference in Resurgence effects between Zombie and Astral Sprite vs. Phoenix ?

03-12-2006:
I searched directories for ClassID. In 1.4 UPatch two units have CombatResurganceAbility. "Fire Larva" and "Demon".
Do you see difference ?

And even I make no pretence Of having more than common sence - R.W.Wood
The secret half a country keeps, the whisper in the lane... - R.Kipling
[UPatch 1.4 Team] * STLpack

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 03-12-2006 @ 08:43 AM).]

posted 02-20-06 06:33 AM EDT (US)     10 / 14  
Can the pheonix resurge multiple times in one battle? I know there is one type of resurgence that works an unlimited number of times, whether or not it is used in standard rules, I don't know.
posted 02-20-06 07:33 AM EDT (US)     11 / 14  
My experience is that the phoenix will only resurge one time.

I try to retreat a newly resurged phoenix if I can't heal it.

posted 02-21-06 01:34 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14  
I'm not sure about phoenix, but I've had astral sprites resurge multiple times during battle.

However, I think (but am not sure) that resurgence through enchantment is a one shot.

posted 02-21-06 07:47 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14  
(Updated).
posted 03-12-06 08:46 AM EDT (US)     14 / 14  
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW:SM Gameplay Help & Strategies » Resurgence ability???
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames