Moderated by Sir Hugh, Atzy, Blatant

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: BFME2 Balance discussion pre 1.05
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 05-11-06 02:25 PM EDT (US)   
Pre 1.05 balance discussion

What needs to be balanced in the next patch?

In the next patch, EA is going to finetune most stuff, and perfect the balance of BFME2.

What are your opinions about 1.03, and what does still needs to be changed? Tell it us and explain it here!

B e n d e r s . . . © 2004

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub

[This message has been edited by Bendak (edited 06-01-2006 @ 01:49 AM).]

Replies:
posted 05-11-06 02:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 105  
Its not so much a balance issue as it is a change in game design. I'd like to see dwarves having a unit of cavalry, not just the one battle wagon. Perhaps a unit of 8 weaker battle wagons for the same price. They wouldn't be able to be upgraded. Other than the notorious Mumakil weakness, I find no problems with this game.

EDIT- Ah yes, thanks for reminding me, Smeog, I'd like to see much stronger walls, and/or walls that could only get attacked by seige weapons, like in the battle for middle earth 1

Smoke Rings Award Winner
Chill with me.

[This message has been edited by MightyFireball (edited 05-11-2006 @ 02:48 PM).]

posted 05-11-06 02:44 PM EDT (US)     2 / 105  
walls stronger, normal units should not be able to attack catapult wall extentions and pieces that go into say a mountain, and dont reconnect with a wallhub, YES ALL CAN ATTACK THESE, AND ITS ANNOYING!

And there is a little thing called mumakil...

posted 05-11-06 06:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 105  
Stronger walls and BOOST mumakil.

Scrat Master
BFME2H Replay Reviewer

DO NOT CLICK
posted 05-11-06 06:34 PM EDT (US)     4 / 105  
easterling HA fix
longshot change
ranger change in general
bawa's slightly less hp
nazgul bug fix(they can't attack while moving)
guardians build time increase
WK better armor and lvl 10 spell
gandalf better armor
aragorn faster
boromir horn to higher lvl
GC change
mumakill slight buff vs pikes and good buff vs everything else
mordor lava moat fix
MoS dissent fix
rohirrim nerf
decrease lorien warriors building dmg
shelob buff
and a few other things that i can't think off atm

|LCN| la cosa nostra
top 20 clan
posted 05-11-06 08:09 PM EDT (US)     5 / 105  
I'd like to see Mirkwood Archers from a level 2 Barracks. As it is now, they never see play.

Time heals all wounds, but what heals time?
posted 05-12-06 02:48 AM EDT (US)     6 / 105  

Quoted from Utred:

easterling HA fix
longshot change
ranger change in general
bawa's slightly less hp
nazgul bug fix(they can't attack while moving)
guardians build time increase
WK better armor and lvl 10 spell
gandalf better armor
aragorn faster
boromir horn to higher lvl
GC change
mumakill slight buff vs pikes and good buff vs everything else
mordor lava moat fix
MoS dissent fix
rohirrim nerf
decrease lorien warriors building dmg
shelob buff
and a few other things that i can't think off atm

My Response:

1. Rohirrim don't need a nerf! Why does everyone think Rohirrim are overpowered? They are supposed to be ELITE cavalry. If they nerf them, then they won't be worth their price! Not to mention they do very weak damage with their bows.

2. Rangers don't need to be changed, and their longshot is weak, only Goblins and Mordor really seem to have a problem and their troops are cheap and expendable!

3. Boromir's Horn is fine the way it is, if they leave it any higher, then Boromir will be useless because he will be the only hero that will have no abilities early on!

4. Glorious Charge has already had it's recharge time doubled! it takes 4 minutes for it to recharge now (240 Seconds).

5. Hour of the Witch king is better than you think, Heroes become much more handicapped with that ability and I've seen it put to devastating effects on Men players.

6. Elves have been hit hard enough as it is. Silverthorn was the elves main advantage and now everyone has screamed nerf so hard that the elves now struggle to stay alive.

7. Bawa?

8. I agree here, Mumakil need to be more resilient for their price. By the time you can afford them, it's just too impractical to get them.

9. They fixed Dissent in the last patch. But it is very annoying.

10. I don't know of any bugs with the mordor lava moat.

The only thing I want changed ATM is building armor for the fortress. I think it should have 10000 HP and double armor VS attacks. Then, the special armor upgrade should give the fortress X4 armor. Then it becomes worth the 2000 Resources early on to prevent rushes. (In some cases)

On the plus side, I believe they did very well with the Haradrim boost. They do 65 Damage (10 less than Rangers), they get heavy armor, and they have 400 HP (The same as rangers). Plus their barbed arrow attack is definitely worth using.

Archer damage Statistics:

Mirkwood Archers: 90 Pierce
    Gondor/Dunedain Rangers: 75 Pierce
    Haradrim Warriors: 65 Pierce
    Men of Dale: 50 Pierce.
    Axe Throwers: 50 Pierce
    Lorien Archers: 40 Pierce
    Gondor Archers: 25 Pierce
    Uruk Crossbows: 25 Pierce
    Orc Archers: 20 Pierce
    Goblin Archers: 20 Pierce

as you can see, Haradrim are now in the right place.

Scotty the Fallen | One-time Angel Reincarnate, and Former BFME2H and TWH Downloads administrator, and BFME2 Strategy Administrator.
"And I shall go softly into the night, taking my dreams, as will you." - EoJ
"Scotty's probably the only forumer here who can make every post a defiant claim of his own superiority." - Atzy
posted 05-12-06 02:54 AM EDT (US)     7 / 105  
Personally, I'd like to see them make all the changes I made in my Ultimate mod, plus a few others, like beef up the AI a bit and have it build a better variety of units. Maybe tweak some of the spells and CAH abilities as well.

[This message has been edited by Samurai007 (edited 05-12-2006 @ 02:55 AM).]

posted 05-12-06 06:28 AM EDT (US)     8 / 105  
Definatly stronger walls. Its so annoying to see you build them up, then get knocked down in only a few blows.

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 05-12-06 09:59 AM EDT (US)     9 / 105  
Ý want those.

1.Mumakil boost!!!
2.Orc pit upgrades cheap as the barracks upgrade
3.Less annoying AI!!!!!!!!!!!

1.They need alot of boost 1 group of ithilien can take them.
2.500 is too much for orc pit while barracks upgrade costs 100
3.I haaaaaaaaaaaaate it!!! They just move onto buildings.
Whether theres any pike, swordsmen or archers they move onto buildings they should fight. Ý was making a match against isengard he sent a group of urukhai and sent them to my slaughterhouse. I countered him with 2 groups of orcs but he just ignored them and move onto my buildings. When my orcs are gone i was defenceless there i got alot of attacks and none were to my fortress. All were onto my orc pits and slaughterhouses.

EDIT: Archers on walls would be good.

[This message has been edited by merting (edited 05-12-2006 @ 01:27 PM).]

posted 05-12-06 10:41 AM EDT (US)     10 / 105  
Merting, the AI does that because that's how you win. If you kill the enemy's units and leave his buildings alone, chances are the fight will be pretty much a draw or you will lose. And even if you win, the enemy will be building more troops from his buildings. If you attack his buildings THEN attack his troops he won't be able to rebuild them as fast as you can and you will gain an advantage.

Just call me Robert.
My Massgate
posted 05-12-06 01:24 PM EDT (US)     11 / 105  
So you mean the way of winning is to annoy the opponent so he will leave the game? Rushing fortress is ok but why he sebds all to resource buildings? Why? To make me get less money? What i hate is he rushes to resources. If you destroy all resources and leave teh fortress and the other buildings alone you wont win again
posted 05-13-06 03:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 105  
@suicidalscotsman:
rohirrim are almost unkillable when well-micro'ed
bawa is battlewagon
dissent still doesn't work correctly, if the units are attacking your units and you cast dissent, they keep attacking your units
so a fortress with upgrade would have 40000 health? do you know how much that is? you would be able to use for exemple gorgoroth spire 2 times before it's destroyed
i forgot the other things you said and i can't see them here

|LCN| la cosa nostra
top 20 clan
posted 05-13-06 03:46 PM EDT (US)     13 / 105  
Rohirrim are fine the way they are, you just have to know how to counter them, and that is not chasing them with pikes. Micro is a skill, just focus fire on them, they do weak damage with their bows, so their main ability is with charging, which is cavalry is used for.

As for my fortress Idea, Armor does not improve fortress health, it reduces the amount of damage it takes. for now, even with their armor upgrade, they go down real fast.

Scotty the Fallen | One-time Angel Reincarnate, and Former BFME2H and TWH Downloads administrator, and BFME2 Strategy Administrator.
"And I shall go softly into the night, taking my dreams, as will you." - EoJ
"Scotty's probably the only forumer here who can make every post a defiant claim of his own superiority." - Atzy
posted 05-13-06 04:17 PM EDT (US)     14 / 105  
i think rangers should have a toggle weapon ability between bow and sword

Molon Labe!!!!
posted 05-13-06 06:02 PM EDT (US)     15 / 105  
Personally, I think rangers are slightly over powered. They dominate with fire arrows.

Smoke Rings Award Winner
Chill with me.
posted 05-13-06 08:38 PM EDT (US)     16 / 105  
Mukamil need a boost, one way or another. I've played Mordor extensively and never used it. Nor have I ever faced a Mukamil.
posted 05-14-06 10:15 AM EDT (US)     17 / 105  
They have their use if you micro them well.

My idea is to make pikes almost do no damage but fire/silverthorne more, like in BFME1.

B e n d e r s . . . © 2004

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
posted 05-14-06 10:26 AM EDT (US)     18 / 105  
Lings have to be good against something other the battle wagons.

Victor von Doom
Winner of the Boromir Award
posted 05-14-06 04:11 PM EDT (US)     19 / 105  
They should definately make the guardian rush more difficult to execute by increasing guardian's build time or cost.It's really annoying the 50 % of the BFME players are using dwarves and the guardian rush in the beggining.

Plus , they should boost Isengard's late game I think.MY point is that the good-micro defender player should win the good-micro attacker player.

-- Revan--

u called down the thunder...
...now reap the whirlwind !
posted 05-15-06 02:37 PM EDT (US)     20 / 105  
isengard needs a good late game unit, like an overgrown power crazed warg (just an idea)

And as for the mumakil, i say decrease the damage from pikes and arrows enormously, but give silverthorn a 20% chance to do bonus damage (explained by hit in the eye or sumtin).
And i think that fire arrows should have 3-5% chance to set fire to the tower, letting it rampage and die(like in 1)

posted 05-15-06 03:37 PM EDT (US)     21 / 105  
I know isengard don't really have any late game units, but I think the point is that late game isengard has a better economy than anyone else and the more fortresses they build they can get super cheap stuff. they also have good solid troops in every field, so late game isengard armies should be the best alround forces out of anyone.
posted 05-16-06 12:59 PM EDT (US)     22 / 105  
I think that when cavalry charge down soldiers they shouldn't do as much damage as now. About two thirds of the battalian die due to a charge-almost as much damage as cavalry vs archers. This is ridiculas. I think cavalry's charge should be toned down a bit vs soldiers

Scrat Master
BFME2H Replay Reviewer

DO NOT CLICK
posted 05-18-06 04:58 PM EDT (US)     23 / 105  
1. Mukamils need a use. Keep their vulnerability to pikes, but protect them from arrows.

2. MoTW needs a nerf. They have the best of everything. Excellent infantry, excellent powers, best calvary, excellent heroes, so on and so forth. IMO, MoTW should be a defense oriented Civ.

3. Make walls and defenses... Useful?

posted 05-18-06 05:32 PM EDT (US)     24 / 105  
I have no problem with the damage caused by cavalry charge, but what I hate is when people exploits it by making the cavalry run thru your battalions by ordering them to move to a location behind.

Instead of doing a charge with meta damage and then switching to regular melee attack, they just end up causing nearly infinite meta damage.

posted 05-19-06 10:15 AM EDT (US)     25 / 105  
Seriously, the "spam" factions need a "holding" advantage over the enemy. It seems logical to me that an advantage in having superior numbers should be the size itself. The blocking power, as it were.

It seems to me that once you're in melee, you shouldn't be able to run "through" an enemy formation. This rather exploit-like game mechanics gives a big advantageo to civs with higher quality troops, because there's can a bit too easily bypass a large number of lower quality troops by just running right through them.

As for calvary, I agree. They shouldn't be able to charge through a swath of enemies, just run through and charge again and again while taking essentially zero damage. It never worked like that in real life or in the movies either, so why here?

Also, calvary need I think to be taken down a notch or too. Currently, for many factions, their only counter for calvary is pikemen. Well, that's not too bad, except for the fact that calvary are essentially able to evade pikemen with ease thanks to their incredible charging abilities.

MoTW is a perfect exmaple. With their calvary, they can decimate enemy formations. Try bringing in pikemen and they'll either run around avoiding them or just use their uber-rangers to rip the pikemen to shreds. Simply put, there's nothing that can match that.

[This message has been edited by Darth Persia (edited 05-19-2006 @ 10:17 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » Argonath (General Discussions) » BFME2 Balance discussion pre 1.05
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames