Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Resources/FAQ [Modding]
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
posted 03-21-06 04:27 PM EDT (US)   
ModdingResources

»Mod Help
As BFME2 continues to expand, the need for a help thread becomes essential. All modification questions would be best asked in here. These questions can be anything to do with the game, not just good old graphics. As questions continue to get asked, I'll make a mini database of them as an FAQ for quick reading.

Before you ask the same question I've heard time and time again which is, "how do I mod?", try using some of the tools and see if you can get the jist of it. There is a list of useful tutorials below to try out. If you have any links to tutorials or guides related to BFME2 modding, please give me a shout in here, and I'll get them up straight away!

»Mod FAQ

How can I edit reload time on special powers?
head into the relevant summoned.ini file and press ctrl+f. type in "lifetime" and keep pressing the enter key untill you get down to some numbers. Change these numbers to what you like.

Is it possible to change the distance a camera can zoom in/out?
Yes, and very easily also. Boot up gamedata.ini which is located in ini.big. However some people belive that in some campaigns/scenarios that another value takes priority. Currently I don't know the truth on this, but I'm looking into it.

What types of files can you expect to find when you're modding?
The main file type you encounter is .BIG. These are the compression files. The other main types you will come across are W3D (model files), INI (Configuration files) and TGA (Texture files).

What does .ini stand for?
.ini files are initialization files. It is a configuration file that contains data for Microsoft Windows applications.

What can be modified in the game graphically speaking? (i.e. skins, animations, models, effects, etc.)
We can currently edit the majority of the files. It is possible to import models and edit textures (this includes terrain textures), so a great deal is possible.

What's the poly (polygon) count for the average unit in the game?
Each unit has an individual standard poly count. However for standard units (pikemen, archers, etc.) you can probably expect around the 500 poly mark. For bigger units, the poly count is obviously going to increase. Your best bet is to import the model you want to edit, and check its count. Really there's no particular limit, however the game does struggle to handle lots of very large poly counts.

Can someone with a mod installed play someone else who doesn't have it?
You can play all mods online. If the mod involves code you and the other player will both need to have it installed. If it's a graphical mod (texture or model), the other player does not need to have it installed, however he will see the unit differently than you.

What does the BIG format stand for?
BIG files are specific to EA - they use it to hold their mod files: .big file description.

How do we open the .BIG files and how does the extractor work to allow you to see the contents?
You can extract the .BIG files using a program such as FinalBIG. A guide for doing this can be found here.

Where can I find a tutorial on editing BSE files?
An excellent tutorial which teaches about editing the BSE files can be found here! This generally covers creating a new faction, however it does teach the concepts you require.

"Making a new unit" means you're replacing an existing one? If yes, is there any known way to add a new unit?
You can add new models to the game, however this does require code modifications. An easier option is to replace model files already in existence.

Can you place a unit on top of a horse?
It is possible. However, I'm not totally sure on how to do it as I've not done it myself before. However, I would suspect you would need new animation and positioning model files, which at present we cannot edit. Also you would need to edit code, which could get nasty with online play. However, if you're more of an off-liner, it's well worth it.

What file format does BFME2 use for its models?
FME2 uses W3D file formats. There are various importers/exporters located in the modding resources thread. A prime tool for new modders would be Gmax, as you can edit the models in it and it's free. You can find gmax here.

W3D formats? As in .w3d or as in .wings files?
w3d files. However, I would suspect you will be able to find an importer for wings.

What image format does BFMEII use for textures?
BFME2 uses a TGA file format for images most often. The textures can be located in the texture.BIG files.

Does it UV map properly when in use of higher-resolution textures?
UV mapping works fine for higher res textures. Also, most heroes have 512x512 pixels textures anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem.

What are regular texture sizes for standard units?
128 or 256, it varies. For war trolls etc it can be 512 or higher.

How do you add new abilities to units?
Basically you need several things make up a new ability, you need a ability timer, upgrade level trigger, new command button, the command button in the unit's command set, weapon itself, and the add modules to the object, and the FX and FX list. Some abilities cannot be easily switched as they involve special animations.

Regarding the future of modding with BFME2: Is it worth getting started in modding?
Getting started with BFME2 modding is well worth it. There's going to be such a long list of possibilities and options eventually, I would suspect it's going to become one of the top games to mod. I suspect in the near future we can expect some total conversion projects to boot up, as well as lots of new units. My advice would be to get stuck in now, and reap the rewards later on .

»Mod Central

BFME2 Specific Tutorials
Mini Guide Series: The .BIG Files
Mini Guide Series: CSF Files
Mini Guide Series: Installing Mods - The three roads
Mini Guide Series: Importing Models - 3D Studio Max
The -Mod Command

LOTR Skinning Tutorials
Texturing A Gondorian Shield
Clothe - Introduction and Leather | Part 2
Scale Mail

BFME2(/1) Tools
BIG Editor
CSF Editor
Asset Builder 2.0
Gil-Galad's Particle System Editor
Note: I have not tested all these tools yet with BFME2, however I have been informed they work.

Viewers/Plugins
Photoshop DDS Plugin
Windows TGA Viewer
RenX - Gmax Model Plugin
ChilliSkinner - Gmax Skinning Plugin
W3D Gmax/3dsMax Importer Plugin
XnView Image Viewer

Useful Free Graphical Tools
Paint.Net (2D)
GIMP (2D)
Gmax (3D)
Wings (3D)

Recommended Costly Graphical Tools
Studio Max 8 (3D)
Maya (3D)
Photoshop (2D)
Paint Shop Pro (2D)

»Finishing Off
Any contributions are welcome to thread, and will help us greatly. If you find anything useful or interesting, don't hesitate to tell us .

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004

[This message has been edited by BP (edited 12-12-2006 @ 03:51 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-30-06 09:50 AM EDT (US)     26 / 89  

Quote:

I should be online for the rest of the evening Bendak, its good to hear that we'll have our first design group for BFME2 coming soon!

We all know, BFME 2 is in early stages at scn design at this moment but it sounds good.

:| Darth Bandon |:
:| Free Lance |:
posted 03-30-06 09:55 AM EDT (US)     27 / 89  

Quote:

We should make a proper World Builder FAQ, where as people ask questions, they are answered and added to the topic post in the continually expanding FAQ.

So the same as this, but for World Builder? Sounds good!

Quote:

We all know, BFME 2 is in early stages at scn design at this moment but it sounds good.

You have to remember design groups for a new game are key to the progress of the game. Such as to find out new tricks, to discover new things, and to find holes and hatches (in a figure of speech). When a new game is released, it is better for more design groups rather than less .

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 03-30-06 10:10 AM EDT (US)     28 / 89  

Quote:

You have to remember design groups for a new game are key to the progress of the game. Such as to find out new tricks, to discover new things, and to find holes and hatches (in a figure of speech). When a new game is released, it is better for more design groups rather than less .

Which the 90% of the design groups will be a failure and they will be down in 2 days the most. Bah ok you are right. A new design group will be very good for the further progress of the game generally...

:| Darth Bandon |:
:| Free Lance |:
posted 04-01-06 01:08 PM EDT (US)     29 / 89  

Quote:

Which the 90% of the design groups will be a failure and they will be down in 2 days the most.

In other words, the test of time so that the most worthy team is found.

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it

[This message has been edited by Pulkit (edited 04-01-2006 @ 01:08 PM).]

posted 04-11-06 08:32 AM EDT (US)     30 / 89  
The modding FAQ is now updated with the questions and answers from the Q/A session. Thanks to all who attended the Q/A and to those who answered questions!

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 04-11-06 03:45 PM EDT (US)     31 / 89  
Fix the poly count information BP now that it has been revealed you're full of nonsense :P.
posted 04-11-06 04:06 PM EDT (US)     32 / 89  
I obviously didn't do wide enough research in units. Answer updated .

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 04-18-06 01:21 AM EDT (US)     33 / 89  
first item on the Modding FAQ:

where exactly is the summoned.ini file?

posted 04-19-06 12:28 PM EDT (US)     34 / 89  
when you in the ini.file on notepad, all you have to do is hold ctrl then press F to bring up the find tool, in writting ini.file or just exploreing them this will be the most useful tool you will have.

in this tool you write summoned.ini or what ever you wish to find.

posted 04-29-06 02:53 AM EDT (US)     35 / 89  
How do you get to the .ini file i cant figure out how to open it.
posted 04-29-06 10:32 AM EDT (US)     36 / 89  
The ini is not just one file, it is split up into many different ones. You can extract all the INIs by using a tool such as "FinalBIG". There is a guide for doing this here .

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 04-29-06 05:44 PM EDT (US)     37 / 89  
or you can use notepad. i say it's the best to learn on.
posted 04-29-06 06:17 PM EDT (US)     38 / 89  
JBV is right. Notepad is alot easier - you can open one or more files at once. FinalBIG is just for extraction.

Victor von Doom
Winner of the Boromir Award
posted 04-29-06 10:10 PM EDT (US)     39 / 89  
how do i get in to a map from worldbuilder to edit it.
posted 04-30-06 06:58 PM EDT (US)     40 / 89  
Atm I am working on War Of The Realms The Beginning (By JBV)V1 and its ini.file.
in this level I will have many costume changes and I have not been able to find most units costumes in the main ini.file

I was wondering if there is a program that can find the exact name of all the costumes in the game.
I heard only some units have costumes/skins and the other skins are attached to the model
Or Blood Phoenix if you know the ones I need , atm I need fire drake costume
then possibly many of the uruk-hai, men-rangers, hobbits, ents, spiderlings, dragon, and balrog. (All I can think of that I will need )

also Blood Phoenix I have a question for you that has been on my mind, I have seen Cah upgrades, and there is armor upgrades which places armor plates onto the models, can you give these upgrade modules for other units too (E.i give a Hobbit or Ent armor plate models?)

if you cant answer all of this its ok
but i would like to find a program that could tell me the ones i can recostume, if not all of em!

posted 05-07-06 11:27 AM EDT (US)     41 / 89  

Quoted from jbv3737:

I was wondering if there is a program that can find the exact name of all the costumes in the game.

How so? If by costumes you mean the skins/texture of units/buildings/objects, then you can extract all of these with the FinalBIG. Although it generates a large amount of folders, there is a pattern to it. IE all elven unit skins are in "eu", same with isengard ("iu").

Quoted from jbv3737:

I heard only some units have costumes/skins and the other skins are attached to the model

All skins/costumes/textures or however you like to call them, are kept as images in the texture.BIG files. They are then applied to the model via the game.

Quoted from jbv3737:

I need fire drake costume then possibly many of the uruk-hai, men-rangers, hobbits, ents, spiderlings, dragon, and balrog. (All I can think of that I will need )

I would advise looking into the folders which begin with the letter "n". Although, the Balrog/Dragon/Men Rangers will be related to there specific civilisation. Use the advice I gave in the quotes above to try and find these.

Quoted from jbv3737:

I have a question for you that has been on my mind, I have seen Cah upgrades, and there is armor upgrades which places armor plates onto the models, can you give these upgrade modules for other units too (E.i give a Hobbit or Ent armor plate models?)

I'm not sure, I've never actually tried! I would think not, as they'll be set to static widths/heights which would mean they'd be far to big or small for some units. Though try it out, and see what happens!

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 05-13-06 06:46 AM EDT (US)     42 / 89  

Quote:

This list includes some interesting mods for BFME1 which may be of interest

Repition sucks.

I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth.
I love you in a totally platonic way Xaph - Jon Rolos | Xaph does mutha****in' win the thread. - Anakin
Xaph, I wish you were my friend IRL - Boba Fettucini
Well I think it's obvious why Peter Noone would care about Xaph - Newt_Gunray
Xaph is suddenly full of win! - Zaarin | Xaph, how often do you win threads? Because you just won this one - Catabre
posted 05-23-06 04:53 PM EDT (US)     43 / 89  
I forgot to say thanks for pointing that out Xaph! Its now been changed .

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 05-25-06 01:37 PM EDT (US)     44 / 89  
This question is for mod map.ini.files not ini.big, this question will be for ini.file overrides not mod ini.files.

I have tried countless hours with meself and even other Istari production leaders,

The question is, how do you override range warheads, the damages and radius do not change, is there a way to change damages and radius other then going into the Projectile object and adding a death weapon module?

if you answer this and it works you are Lord Of All modding in my eyes for this is the only question i have not been able to answer for over 3 months.

posted 05-25-06 03:02 PM EDT (US)     45 / 89  
Do you mean Long range weaponry?

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 06-16-06 06:32 AM EDT (US)     46 / 89  
hey guys how can i add balrog to mordor heroes that would be cool i would do it only for myself and maybe for some friends
posted 06-19-06 02:21 AM EDT (US)     47 / 89  
how do i modify the number of points a player gets for his/her custom hero?
help would be much appreciated
posted 06-19-06 11:01 AM EDT (US)     48 / 89  
Do you mean the number of points that the user can spend no special powers? I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean, please try to be more specific .

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 06-20-06 08:16 PM EDT (US)     49 / 89  
i want my custom hero to have max attributes eg health , health rate and so on how do i have it so that i can appoint limitlis attribute points help is much appreciated
posted 06-25-06 05:48 PM EDT (US)     50 / 89  
he wants to know how to cah cheat, sorry i dont feel like spreading it around :P lol
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » Grey Havens (World Builder & Game Mods) » Resources/FAQ [Modding]
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames