Pharaoh: Game Help
Moderated by VitruviusAIA, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Update on my wiki, for those who are interested in perusal
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 08-27-15 02:28 ET (US)   
Most of the pages on buildings are coming along nicely. Now all that remains is for me to ad an infobox detailing their costs, risks, desirability and worker requirements. Also, I am missing images and gifs for some buildings. If anyone's willing to provide them I'd be extremely grateful.

The link to the wiki is

impressionsgames.wikia.com

[This message has been edited by brainwasher5 (edited 08-27-2015 @ 02:32 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-27-15 10:01 ET (US)     1 / 33  
The costs depend on the difficulty you play on and desirability maybe also. The risks of fire for example also should raise faster on harder difficulties.

Some feedback: Instead of just "is a building type" you could be more specific as in what kind of building it is and where you can find it. Example: The Recruiter "is a military structure...". It would also be useful if you could add a little image, displaying in what tab you can find the specific building, like it is done here. You might just highlight that tab. That page also contains some info about costs and other things, but I think it is just on normal difficulty.

Also noticed a little mistake on the Recruiter description. "...recruiters train 16/9 soldiers per month (or 16 soldiers per month)." The marked part should be "16 soldiers in 9 months" instead. Another thing, why is there an Emperor background image on the pharaoh wiki?

[This message has been edited by Molotok (edited 08-27-2015 @ 10:04 AM).]

posted 08-27-15 11:40 ET (US)     2 / 33  
-snip-

[This message has been edited by Sajuuk (edited 02-23-2016 @ 09:16 AM).]

posted 08-27-15 12:22 ET (US)     3 / 33  
You can simply go to the world map and make a screenshot or if you want an empty map you can go to the mission editor and delete every city on the world map and then make one. Assuming he can use different backgrounds for different sections, a pharaoh wiki with an emperor background doesnīt look right imo. But as it is his wiki, it is his decision on what he choses.
posted 08-27-15 12:31 ET (US)     4 / 33  
-snip-

posted 08-27-15 12:47 ET (US)     5 / 33  
As the context here makes it pretty clear, I was referring to the Pharaoh section which in other words you can simply call a Pharaoh wiki. Comprehension doesnīt seem to be one of your strong features.

If it is not possible to do different backgrounds, one could make a background which represents all the games featured. If I would be decent at image editing, I probably could try something. But using one from a specific game for every each game is indeed confusing and unfitting imo, as you can see it confused me, so thatīs why I asked. But other people might not care, it is a feedback, nothing more.

[This message has been edited by Molotok (edited 08-27-2015 @ 01:04 PM).]

posted 08-27-15 23:38 ET (US)     6 / 33  
I should clarify that though this started as my pet project, anyone is welcome to come edit as long as it's constructive. After all, my knowledge on Pharaoh is far from complete, and Pharaoh is far from the only game Impressions Games has made. Thanks for your feedback, molotok! I corrected the embarrassing typo on the recruiter page.
posted 08-30-15 06:57 ET (US)     7 / 33  
Forgot to mention, you can extract a pretty detailed info on employees needed, desirability etc. from the structure chart on this site. Note it has multiple pages, so scroll down.
posted 08-30-15 07:51 ET (US)     8 / 33  
-snip-

posted 08-31-15 00:22 ET (US)     9 / 33  
Funny that you mentioned that, I just started doing that a couple of days ago
posted 08-31-15 12:40 ET (US)     10 / 33  
Good job. About starting funds, they seem to be the same for E, N and H, but are different for VE and VH.

Also looks like choosing "Replay mission" messes up the starting funds, if you start at VE or VH difficulty in the family history. Made a little test on the very first mission Nubt. Starting family history at VE I get 5k and if I choose replay mission I get 10k funds, while 3750 at VH and 5k for the rest. Starting family history at VH I get 1875, but pressing replay mission gives me 1406. Selecting it as individual mission I get 5k for VE, 2.5k for E, N, H and 1875 for VH which is the same for starting the family history at N(but i guess for E and H too).

[This message has been edited by Molotok (edited 08-31-2015 @ 01:04 PM).]

posted 08-31-15 23:58 ET (US)     11 / 33  
I've noticed that too. Similarly shenanigans happen for starting Kingdom Rating (which varies, at least in my version of Pharaoh, based on difficulty).
posted 09-01-15 09:55 ET (US)     12 / 33  
Yes, you are right. Switching the difficulty at the briefing screen messes up the staring funds and kingdom rating. From what I could see, if you want the correct starting funds and kingdom rating, you need to either keep the difficulty level that already is set from the main menu or restart twice if you change it in the briefing menu or option. But restarting twice gives you only the correct values if you had N difficulty in the main menu before (probably E and H works too).

The correct starting values for kingdom ratings should be 70(VE), 60(E), 50(N, H) and 40(VH). Correct starting funds should be 1.000(VE), 0.500(E, N, H) and 0.375(VH) multiplied with the starting funds on VE.
posted 09-01-15 19:33 ET (US)     13 / 33  
When I start a mission the first thing I do is make a save - something like Waset 0-0. I then go and do my experimenting and testing and when I'm ready for the proper run, I load 0-0 instead of restarting and taking the time to fix the problems mentioned above.

Eagles may soar, but weasels do not get sucked into jet engines
Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, Proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too
posted 09-02-15 10:15 ET (US)     14 / 33  
@evil: Itīs not a guide on what to do in your gameplay but rather an observation which might be useful for the wiki.

More feedback: Those stretched images look pretty dreadful, especially the small buildings like apothecary and architects post. They look as original on the smartphone, but they are like eye cancer on desktop with a widescreen monitor (and I donīt even have 24"). While the original sized pictures (there are some on the wiki which are not stretched in that box) look good on desktop and phone.
posted 09-02-15 22:05 ET (US)     15 / 33  
I've discussed this with Sajukk before, it's a point that I'd like to revisit with him

Just to make everything clear: EVERYONE is free to edit on this wiki. If you don't like something, of course feel free to tell me about it, but if you want to take a stab at it, nothing is stopping you from making the edits yourself.
posted 09-03-15 02:36 ET (US)     16 / 33  
I didnt mean anything by the information for the wiki, I was only observing that restarting is a problem and presented a way to solve it for people reading here.

On topic now, I had a quick look at the wiki and I think there is too much subjective information on there. I'm not wanting to go through and take out chunks of other people's work but a couple of examples I found in Rostja were
(although housing must still be upgraded to at least Ordinary Cottages to avoid outbreaks of plague).
which is incorrect. Housing levels impact on the risk of plague but the strong language of 'housing must' is incorrect. Playing on VE or having houses at less then OC but providing food may avoid plague as well.
As the pyramid complex must be close to the Nile
There is no requirement the complex be close to the Nile. The causeway must be connected to the Nile but there is no limit on how far the main body of the pyramid is from the river.

In Work Camp:
Whenever a monument or a farm needs labor, a random work camp in the city spawns a peasant who starts making his way to the site. This can be a problem as peasants can spawn very far away from a farm, reducing the output of the farm due to the time it ends up staying un-tilled. To combat this problem, it's usually a good idea to keep most work camps in just one area if possible
Emphasis added by me. This is again very subjective. There may be times a widespread distribution will work effectively and the solution presented is only one of multiple options. Disconnecting the road network would be another.

I'm not saying this to be picky but hopefully some constructive criticism that too much subjective advice may justify Sajuuk's criticism of a 1-size-fits-all approach to the game.

Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, Proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too
posted 09-03-15 05:16 ET (US)     17 / 33  
-snip-

[This message has been edited by Sajuuk (edited 02-23-2016 @ 09:17 AM).]

posted 09-03-15 07:13 ET (US)     18 / 33  
It is totally ok for you to take out chunks of work (although ideally, if you take out large chunks you'd consult the person/people who wrote it beforehand); after all I am not a genius at Pharaoh and therefore are prone to make mistakes. Wikis evolve, after all. Wikipedia probably started off hard to look at but look at how it's progressed now.

I will concede that some information in the missions pages are subjective, but there is very little to no subjective information on the buildings pages, which as it stands currently comprises the majority of the pages on the wiki.
posted 09-03-15 08:46 ET (US)     19 / 33  
that information appears to have been pulled from HeavenGames' own walkthroughs
That information is community made and not official. I cant identify who wrote it but I would always make sure to double check statements made in official documents like the game manual and unofficial material on the Pharaoh Heaven main page just because it has been so long since it's been updated. There is a lot of information that has come out since they were made so that itself should result in a bit more scrutiny. The forum information is usually much more reliably accurate.
I'm not sure why you think this, because I never said anything of the sort. Please stop trying to attribute random facts that people make to being something I've said somewhere, it's quite irritating to have users here discredit information just because it's been said by a user they don't like.
I thought you had complained in a few earlier threads about people like myself or Brugle advocating just one way of playing, which you were upset with. I know there are other ways of playing and so dont think there should be particular statements about how something 'should' be done or advocating any specific build orders. I dont have anything against you. If anything I thought, given your previous comments, you'd be in favor of what I said. If not, or if I've got your username confused with someone else, I'm sorry.

I was hoping my comments were constructive none the less. I'm not particularly interested in writing the wiki but have no issue with anyone else who wants to do so. I think everyone who is contributing is doing a great thing for a great game.

[This message has been edited by evil_live_vile (edited 09-03-2015 @ 08:50 AM).]

posted 09-03-15 09:03 ET (US)     20 / 33  
-snip-

posted 09-03-15 11:57 ET (US)     21 / 33  
@Sajuuk: There are many ways to help a wiki. One is to post/edit content, another one is to provide some feedback on the existing content or pointing out some mistakes with the goal to improve the wiki. I personally donīt feel the urge to post/edit things. Not sure if you understand or not, but everyone decides for himself on what to do. Complaining about other people not wanting to edit pages on the contrary doesnīt help very much, that is for certain.

Also feedback is there to point out things that might be improved. It should be reasonable and suggest some improvements and I think I made some fair points. So iīm not sure what you mean by demanding, I think I donīt need to explain you the difference between demanding and suggesting. But that is maybe the reason why you are seeing everything I write as negative. I of course appreciate the work on the wiki, otherwise I wouldnīt make the effort to write here.

About the image problem: another idea would be to just take a screenshot ingame and cut a 275px part of it. Maybe even displaying the walker like this for example:

[This message has been edited by Molotok (edited 09-03-2015 @ 12:21 PM).]

posted 09-03-15 12:41 ET (US)     22 / 33  
That would be nice, but I have a sort of irrational hatred of jpeg images. I think the difference for me is that a png image of, say, an architect's post would be DEFINITIVELY an architect's post, while jpegs convey extra information that makes it less objective.

Hmm...that's a poor way to phrase it...what you have could definitely potentially be a compromise. For conformity's sake, though, we should have a screenie of each being on completely even, uniform terrain. That shouldn't be too bad with just microsoft paint. Sajuuk, what do you think?

[This message has been edited by brainwasher5 (edited 09-03-2015 @ 12:41 PM).]

posted 09-03-15 12:49 ET (US)     23 / 33  
-snip-

posted 09-03-15 13:25 ET (US)     24 / 33  
This is actually an png image and I used MS-Paint, but maybe the choice of terrain wasnīt good.
posted 09-03-15 20:54 ET (US)     25 / 33  
Well...I actually only have a mac computer at hand right now--I technically don't have access to Pharaoh. Is it ok if someone starts doing this? They can put the pictures here and I can upload them on the wiki (ideally the picture would feature the building, a stretch of road in front of the building, and the walker the building spawns--over a completely desert or other such uniform background).
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Pharaoh: Game Help » Update on my wiki, for those who are interested in perusal
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames