Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Campaign & General Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: Maratha Empire confirmed
posted 02-18-09 10:18 AM EDT (US)   
http://www.totalwar.com/empire/gameinfo/factions.php?id=25

Does this implicitly confirm the last playable faction will be the Mughal Empire or what? Any thoughts?

Long live early music.
Replies:
posted 02-18-09 10:32 AM EDT (US)     1 / 31  
Newsied.

Sounds like a good faction if you want to stay away from the business of Europe for the first years.

Hussarknight
posted 02-18-09 11:15 AM EDT (US)     2 / 31  
Should be fun reversing history and launching an invasion of Europe from India.
posted 02-18-09 11:29 AM EDT (US)     3 / 31  
This does look like an interesting faction, I may well let them rule India, at least for a while. It will no doubt be a hard country to conquer by the sword, best to let intrigue do your dirty work. Glad to see you'll get to use an elephant-wielding faction right from the start.

Sensei said on the official forums that there would be a faction feature and a new unit this week, now that we've got the former, I wonder what the latter will be...

"...angry men must also be strong, if they would achieve their purpose."
-Livy
posted 02-18-09 11:47 AM EDT (US)     4 / 31  
Seems quite nice to have a faction away from all the europeans. Am I right in saying that this was the faction that gave the brits such a hard time over there?

Baggies great escape!

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Bender, be careful! That's the ship's diamond filament tether. It's unbreakable.
Bender: Then why do I have to be careful?
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: It belonged to my Grandmother.
posted 02-18-09 11:54 AM EDT (US)     5 / 31  
Nice find!
Does this implicitly confirm the last playable faction will be the Mughal Empire or what? Any thoughts?
No, I don't think so, they will almost definately confirm America as the final playable faction very soon.

This is not a signature.
posted 02-18-09 12:30 PM EDT (US)     6 / 31  
Good stuff, just one more faction to be revealed now!

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 02-18-09 01:58 PM EDT (US)     7 / 31  
Was there any emerging powers within the Italian states??
posted 02-18-09 02:27 PM EDT (US)     8 / 31  
This faction looks to be in the best position of getting its economy booming, since it seems that it will be the last to wage war with the other powers. Anyone agree?
posted 02-18-09 02:36 PM EDT (US)     9 / 31  
However, you may get invaded by a number of factions at once as a downside.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 02-18-09 03:01 PM EDT (US)     10 / 31  
if it's playable I'm straight in with this campaign. I will have no prejudices to the factions I'm up against so I'm sure it will create a fresher experience.
posted 02-18-09 03:39 PM EDT (US)     11 / 31  
finally a indian faction, i think it may be one of the factions i will enjoy playing
not the first, but i will enjoy it nonetheless

also, there's three factions that are possible for the final playable faction:
Denmark-Norway
Muhgal empire
and the states

only time will tell
personally i hope its Denmark-Norway
posted 02-18-09 05:54 PM EDT (US)     12 / 31  
The Mughals will probably be last, but what do people think the Marathas navy will be like. Will they have access to Man o Wars or will they only have ships as storng as sloops? But I suppose they could alwyas walk through the Ottomans to get to Europe instead of taking a ship.
posted 02-18-09 07:23 PM EDT (US)     13 / 31  
I suspect that they will have similar ships, but will take longer to research them.

TaylorFlame - The Definitive Man.
posted 02-19-09 01:18 AM EDT (US)     14 / 31  
I think they will be similiar to China in Victoria (great strateg game from Paradox set in same time period). You can build up China's economy quickly as they are left alone and seperated from other superpowers.

BUT, when you finally do get attacked, you get attacked from all directions from a better equipped British and get nailed. Without fail, by the time you get peace you have lost a large part of your empire (coastal regions), not all, but a lot. You then need to rebuild and prepare for a counter attack a decade or so later, and hope the British are tied up elsewhere in the world.

Im guessing this will be a similiar scenario in India.
posted 02-19-09 04:57 AM EDT (US)     15 / 31  
No, I don't think so, they will almost definately confirm America as the final playable faction very soon.
Well, it's obvious that CA decided to include an Indian faction for the sake of diversity. By that reasoning, and as I see it, a second Indian faction is not unlikely - it would make India a main theatre of war in the game, together with America and Europe.

That said, I don't know much about the American faction. It is bound to be playable, but will it be playable since the beginning of the game? Given that the game begins in the 17th century, isn't that a bit odd? (Well, the Campaign of Medieval II Total War began in 1066 and you could play Portugal - a country that didn't exist until 1139 - with the borders it had in 1249, though, but the anachronism is minor there, I guess)

Long live early music.

[This message has been edited by Gato (edited 02-19-2009 @ 04:59 AM).]

posted 02-19-09 05:49 AM EDT (US)     16 / 31  
I suspect that they will have similar ships, but will take longer to research them.
As far as I know, capturing enemy ships of a higher tech level than your own allows you to then use that tech if you return it to your port.
posted 02-19-09 05:56 AM EDT (US)     17 / 31  
Yeah, but you actually have to go about capturing it. And if the Europeans send fleets, you're in dire straights.

TaylorFlame - The Definitive Man.
posted 02-19-09 06:15 AM EDT (US)     18 / 31  
The conjecture is fun to read, as ever, but I"m not sure why so many people think "America" will even be a faction at the start of the game. I'm thinking they may come about as a result of a rebellion event in that part of the world in much the same way as major historic events like the Plague or the Marius event have been introduced in earlier games.

So, the English and Spanish are present in the Americas at the start of the game, they fight the indigenous Americans and each other for control; until either a rebellion event occurs or the player is given an option to 'create' the American faction, like the way you create states in Europa Universalis, and then boot the English out. Now that would be cool.
posted 02-19-09 10:25 AM EDT (US)     19 / 31  
Could it be that a native american faction will be the last?

Then the prophet spake: saying "Frak this for my faith is a shield proof against your blandishments." -Alem Mahat, The Book of Cain Chapter IV, Verse XXI
posted 02-19-09 03:11 PM EDT (US)     20 / 31  
I don't think that the Americans are going to be playable at the beggining of the game. Most likely the next faction will be another European, or maybe an Middle-East faction?

[This message has been edited by Distillerqq (edited 02-19-2009 @ 03:11 PM).]

posted 02-19-09 03:27 PM EDT (US)     21 / 31  
Maybe another Asian faction?

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
posted 02-19-09 05:38 PM EDT (US)     22 / 31  
Next faction could be the Safavids, Republic of Venice, Denmark-Norway, the Barabary States, The Portugese The Americans (doubtful), and maybe a Native American faction like the Iroquois or Cherokee. I hope for the Venetians or Barbary States
posted 02-19-09 07:21 PM EDT (US)     23 / 31  
Another faction to destory

The blood we spill today is just the beginning
Proud to be American/Polish/Irish/Welsh
Empire Total War Heaven : March 3rd, 2009 US
Call of Duty 4/Call of Duty WAW/Halo 3 Beta tester
No need to spell my name, just call me Ben!
posted 02-19-09 07:22 PM EDT (US)     24 / 31  
Careful they do have large numbers.
posted 02-20-09 02:57 AM EDT (US)     25 / 31  
Will be interesting introducing democracy there.
posted 02-21-09 09:17 AM EDT (US)     26 / 31  
I wish Australia could've been part of the game
posted 02-21-09 03:54 PM EDT (US)     27 / 31  
Whta, and play an Aboriginal faction?? Fight with spears and boomerangs. Your city development would be finished after 5 turns.

Wait until 19th Century TW.
posted 02-22-09 06:02 PM EDT (US)     28 / 31  
Post removed - Gaius

[This message has been edited by Gaius Colinius (edited 02-23-2009 @ 08:09 AM).]

posted 02-22-09 06:08 PM EDT (US)     29 / 31  
But why play as them?
posted 02-23-09 08:08 AM EDT (US)     30 / 31  
Distillerqq
Because you're new, I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt as to what you meant by that comment but racism is not tolerated in our forums. Consider yourself on an unofficial warning.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 02-23-09 10:32 AM EDT (US)     31 / 31  
Well, it wasn't racism, I was just saying it would be cool to battle them, but well,I used the wrong words,sorry for that. And well, it wouldn't make any sense to play as them.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: