You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: Official: Q&A about SCREENSHOTS
posted 09-08-09 11:34 PM EDT (US)   
THE INDEX (all questions are in chronological order.)
------------------------------------------------------------
How do I take a screen shot?
How do I post my screenshots on the forum?
Do I have to save each screen shot individually at a time?
How do I know that the screenshot was taken successfully?
How do I edit my screenshots?
Why are some images links and some images not?
How do I open my pictures to view them?

============================================================

Question:

How do I take a screen shot?

Answer:

Use the screenshot taking facility that comes with the program Xfire.

Or use Steam:
[c]1. Press F5 (this is the default Screenshot key) to save a screenshot
2. Locate the screenshot image which was created after closing the game (screenshots will be saved to the game folder under your username folder in the SteamApps directory).
Example: C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\\counter-strike\cstrike

Question:

How do I post my screenshots on the forum?

Answer:

Free websites that will host your pictures is the way to do this.
Imageshack or Photobucket are two free websites to upload your screenshots. (you might need to create an account with the website.) You can also host them on your Xfire profile page.

After you've uploaded your screenshot to either website it will provide you with a "direct link," "thumbnail link," or some sort of link in which to display the screenshot on the forum. (not all link types are supported in RTW Heaven)

Once you've copied the link paste it in your reply message on the forum. Congratulations, you've just posted a screen shot for the world to see!

Question:

Do I have to save each screen shot individually at a time?

Answer:

No. This is the feature of the Xfire program. You can take multiple screenshots during the game without having to ALT+TAB or Exit the game immediately. When you're ready, upload them all to your screenshot space with Xfire. There have been some issues with game stability after taking screenshots so don't expect to play for hours after taking screenshots. Quit at a time convenient to you.

Question:

How do I know that the screenshot was taken successfully?

Answer:

You'll hear a shutter sound.

Question:

How do I edit my screenshots?

Answer #1:

In Windows' Paint program you can use it as an editor too. Most people might use this to mark specific parts of the screen shot to show emphasis of detail or to crop the picture to different resolutions (sizes).

Answer #2:

If you have Photoshop you will be able to more detailed editing.

Question:

Why are some images links and some images not?

Answer #1:

When an image is just a link, it will look like this, this or this. (most of the time)

Answer #2:

When an image is not a link and is just displayed it is either a thumbnail like this or a displayed image like this. These are displayed images because they are less than 100k in size. These display images are used with BB CODE style found here.

Question:

How do I open my pictures to view them?

Answer:

Assuming this question is in regards to a program you want to open the picture with...
right click the picture. Go to "OPEN WITH." Go to "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer." Or "browse" your other programs as to whatever program you want to open the picture with.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

[This message has been edited by Gaius Colinius (edited 10-27-2009 @ 05:56 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-27-09 05:56 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4  
Updated to include Steam screenshot method.

-Love Gaius

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw

posted 10-28-09 11:36 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4  
Might be fire to include Fraps as well for people who don't want the community component.

Hussarknight
posted 11-03-09 05:16 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4  
Feel free to edit it in. I used to use Fraps until it caused compatibility problems on Vista but that was over 2 years ago and may/should have been fixed by now.

-Love Gaius

posted 10-22-14 06:22 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4  
I assume a history section is either already conceived or already in the making?

[This message has been edited by balo123 (edited 11-12-2014 @ 11:29 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: