You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Campaign & General Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: IGN Empire Total War Review!
posted 02-27-09 09:24 PM EDT (US)   
http://pc.ign.com/articles/957/957883p1.html

They gave it a 9.5/10, but it is very hard to find the review on the website, I only found it after someone linked me the review.
Newsie please
Replies:
posted 02-27-09 10:59 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14  
Empire Total war will be the best thing since individually wraped packages of floppy cheese.

It is not enough that I succeed, but my enemies must fail.

I came, I saw, and was crushed.

Mongols? Time for a strategic retreat to the Atlantic.
posted 02-27-09 11:54 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14  
The battles on the video look awesome, though my graphics wont be able to handle that many troops.
posted 02-28-09 00:06 AM EDT (US)     3 / 14  
I liked the screenshots in this article, as they actually showed the game being played, not just situations at the beginning. On that note, I see the Maratha Empire does not joke around; in the shot with the Austrian territory of India, all the rest of India had been conquered by the Marathas.

Deutschland erwartet, dass jeder Mann seine Pflicht tun wird.
Россия ожидает, что каждый исполнит свой долг.
posted 02-28-09 00:30 AM EDT (US)     4 / 14  
Darn you. You capalised on the review before me.
posted 02-28-09 12:21 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14  
Reading the review created a gentle tear in my eye,
posted 02-28-09 01:46 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14  
Nice, thanks for linking.
Also PCGameplay, the Belgian magazine I also mentioned here concerning a review, has given this game a 90 out of 100 in their review.
posted 03-01-09 06:08 AM EDT (US)     7 / 14  
I was looking at some pictures of Empire on IGN and saw some faction flags. One of India included the just released Maratha Conederacy. I also saw one o Italy with a very Venetian looking flag and another above Italy that looked a lot like the Teutonic flag. Also another flag from Italy with a red background and four white arrows facing in.

EDIT: Also in India, was a Portuguese flag and a (from the looks) Mughal Empire.

BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE
Better yet. Syria is creating a chemical weapon who's only known antidote is foreskin-Mebert
Real men do stuff to each other...Share needles, tickle scrotums, and take photos-Jax
Peace & Chicken Grease
Trottski

[This message has been edited by Trottski (edited 03-01-2009 @ 06:11 AM).]

posted 03-01-09 06:24 AM EDT (US)     8 / 14  
Newsied Nort

Well that was a good read, glad to see he praised the Sound Effects as I was a little worried after playing the demo - the ambient battle sounds seemed missing but I'm glad they've sorted this out

Certainly heightened my anticipation.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 03-01-09 07:43 AM EDT (US)     9 / 14  
I also saw one o Italy with a very Venetian looking flag and another above Italy that looked a lot like the Teutonic flag. Also another flag from Italy with a red background and four white arrows facing in.
To clear this up a little:
Yup, Venice.
Not the Teutonic Order, but Prussia. The Teutonic Order had a simple black cross on a white background as emblem.
That's the flag of the Hospitallers: the Knights of St John/Knights of Malta. Good to see they're in.

There's also Genoese (white field with red cross), Dutch and Spanish flags on that particular screenshot.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 03-01-09 11:08 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14  
Secondly, the AI never really comes back with a counterproposal when they reject an offer, so players aren't ever really going to be sure what they need to do to sweeten the pot.

A step backward from M2:TW.

Michael Jackson
posted 03-02-09 00:04 AM EDT (US)     11 / 14  
The AI will be throwing curve balls at ya left & right. I am very eager to see if I can notice the diplomatic difference.
posted 03-02-09 04:50 AM EDT (US)     12 / 14  
A step backward from M2:TW
Maybe, yes. But the complete Diplomacy overhaul might've made it a little difficult to program the AI to effectively and sensibly respond to your diplomatic efforts, just as we know from Medieval II. Granted, it was a cool feature but it didn't always work very well and if they couldn't fix it for Empire I see the sense in removing it because if CA left it in there but didn't work very well in the sense of the Diplomacy AI it would seem like no progress was made on the diplomatic overhaul.

I'd rather it be not present than present but not 100% functional and fitting with the new Diplomacy bit.

A f t y

A A R S

posted 03-02-09 05:20 AM EDT (US)     13 / 14  
I don't know about you all, but I found the princesses to be very annoying, although it was hilarious to steal faction's men away from them
posted 03-02-09 08:05 AM EDT (US)     14 / 14  
Closing now.

Please refer all discussion to our Grand Reviews Thread.

A f t y

A A R S

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: