You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Imhotep’s Blueprints (Scenario Design)
Moderated by Wok

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Have a question? Post it here!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 08-17-06 03:16 PM EDT (US)   
This thread is designed for people to ask questions regarding "smaller" things that don't necessarily require an entire thread, as such threads usually become redundant after one or two replies.

As it's always best to lead by example, I happen to have a small question!
How do I elevate terrain with hard, 90 degree drop edges? I'm new to the editor and so I'm mainly learning through trial and error, but I can only manage the raise the elevation in a rounded hill-like way, and I'm trying to get some towering cliffs.

Replies:
posted 08-17-06 04:20 PM EDT (US)     1 / 161  
I've tried creating tower cliffs too, but it's very hard to do. I took me 5 minutes just to create a small one. But perhaps you can create them more easily by using elevations files. Though I think they can only create maps for real places around the world.

By the way there is a user-made map which has lots of these tower cliffs, it looks very neat and magnificent. It's called "Karnak" in the download cenatral(multiplayer scens".

This is the best signature ever!
posted 08-17-06 05:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 161  
i'd like to know why when you play as octavian in hero mode (in editor of course) you switch to the bow and it takes you out of hero mode, takes away all your'e stamina and won't let you get back into hero mode.
posted 08-17-06 06:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 161  
Sargon, that problem might be related to this one.
posted 08-18-06 05:50 AM EDT (US)     4 / 161  
Thanks, I see your'e point. It's still annoying though.

BTW I can't seem to find an effective way to make 90* cliffs...

[This message has been edited by Sargon II (edited 08-18-2006 @ 05:52 AM).]

posted 08-18-06 06:40 PM EDT (US)     5 / 161  
In the terrain section use the flatten feature with a small brush diameter. That allows sharp cliffs.

...............(\ /)................
..............(^.^)...............
.............<( < )...............
...............(/ (/................
...All American Bunny.....

[This message has been edited by _o0XxX0o_ (edited 08-18-2006 @ 06:40 PM).]

posted 08-18-06 09:05 PM EDT (US)     6 / 161  
Hmm...I thought the "terrain flattener" can only be used to flatten every hills and mountains to that elevation.

But anyway I have another question:

When I try to set the enviroment to sunset, the terrian will just go completely black(or gray) with no reasons. And I did not use the colour tool to blacen them. Does this happen to you too?

This is the best signature ever!
posted 08-19-06 09:38 AM EDT (US)     7 / 161  
Here's how FIXED works. Set it for a positve amount, like say, 3.00, and left clicking mouse button will raise the terrain, but will not excede that exact elevation. Right click it, and the terrain will drop, but not below (-3.00).

Set the FIXED amount to -3.00 and left clicking will lower terrain, but not below (-3.00). And right clicking will raise terrain, but not above (+3.00).

It is possible that a lightmap was done for that scenario. The thing that makes the dark blue map. And setting it to any other enviornment changes it to regular. But changing it back to sunset brings back the "bluemap" again. Or sunset is just naturally dark anyways.

Purple Text = Corrected Word

[This message has been edited by _o0XxX0o_ (edited 08-19-2006 @ 05:43 PM).]

posted 08-19-06 10:33 AM EDT (US)     8 / 161  
Thanks for the solution to my flattening problem. When I had tried that tool, I hadn't understood it and after one press it flattened my entire map back to the default...
posted 08-19-06 05:37 PM EDT (US)     9 / 161  
Oh Crap!! I did not mean Flatten. What I meant was "Fixed"!! Ya, Flatten flattens the whole map to it default elevation.

Fixed not Flatten

Sorry!

posted 08-20-06 09:34 AM EDT (US)     10 / 161  
i am very new to the editor and i cant seem to find how to build water!
could anyone tell me?
posted 08-20-06 10:19 AM EDT (US)     11 / 161  
If you use the elevation tool, and right click so the elevation goes lower, water will appear.

[This message has been edited by MudokonGod (edited 08-20-2006 @ 05:12 PM).]

posted 08-20-06 10:31 AM EDT (US)     12 / 161  
This is quite a useful thread actually

[This message has been edited by Sargon II (edited 08-23-2006 @ 03:19 PM).]

posted 08-20-06 12:54 PM EDT (US)     13 / 161  
ok tyvm.
posted 08-23-06 01:40 PM EDT (US)     14 / 161  
A question that has been on my mind for a while is how can you display a health bar at the top when fighting an enemy hero (as can be seen when fighting various heroes in the campaigns).
posted 08-23-06 07:00 PM EDT (US)     15 / 161  
There is no cursor in hero mode. The health of the hero is displayed on the hero icon at the top left corner of the screen. In normal rts mode, mousing over units displays their health bar, but since no cursor in hero mode, would you really want ALL health bar of ALL units you see displayed?

If you number the triggers and make 2 objects;

[1]player 2 any class dynamic number min 1 max 1, has attribute; hit points min 1 max 999999, and check "is 3p target" box.
[2]player 2 any class dynamic number min 1 max 1, has attribute; max hit points min 1 max 999999, and check "is 3p target" box.

Make an effect>game>game counter.
-uncheck "countdown", and check "text only"
-type the following in the box: /#OA0001 / /#OA0002
-put game counter as effect in a trigger, no conditions.
-loop trigger.

/#OA0001 represents object attribute for object numbered [1], will then post on the top of the screen, the dynamic number for how many hit points the enemy object that is being targeted by player 1 hero. And /#OA0002 represents the object attribute for object [2] which is the same enemy object targeted by player 1 hero.

So when hero aims bow or is in the process of sword whacking an enemy, game counter at top will display hit points remaining, and total hit points of whatever enemy unit is being targeted.

Example:

[JPEG, (358.79 KB)]

Alexander is targeting player 2's single player town center, and at the top you see; "3000 / 3000". This represents the display of the town centers hitponts it has, and after the "/", represents the total hitponts of the town center itself.

Any unit alex targets will display the health of it. But on the downside, it will display the health of any player 2 objects targeted by any hero, player 1's or whatever.

Just an interesting idea.

[This message has been edited by _o0XxX0o_ (edited 08-23-2006 @ 07:11 PM).]

posted 08-23-06 09:16 PM EDT (US)     16 / 161  
If you wanted to see the green/red bar that displays health over units, you can always hit the ALT key and that will show health of units in the visible area except for what you are directly targeting.

That is a very interesting idea _o0XxX0o_. I was wondering how the object reference system worked, thanks for the info. It will help a lot in the two scenarios I've been working on. Now that Midway has fixed the cursor in hero mode bug (expect an OFFICIAL patch soon), I will resume work on my capture the flag scenario and that will help a lot.

posted 08-24-06 02:55 AM EDT (US)     17 / 161  
Thanks. I was asking how would you get the health of a hero you were fighting (but not neccessarily targeting), like in the campaigns and the final tutorial mission but you answered my question anyway I think.
posted 08-28-06 10:45 AM EDT (US)     18 / 161  
I'd like to know how to put walls in scenarios. I can't find out how to do it.

I'd also like to know how to put in objectives.

posted 08-28-06 12:52 PM EDT (US)     19 / 161  
walls are found in the objects panel and you place them like in the game

objectives must be done through triggers, look through the trigger effects and you should find it

posted 08-28-06 04:09 PM EDT (US)     20 / 161  
ok thanks.
The walls are a bit of a problem, they dont seem to appeaar...
posted 08-29-06 03:20 PM EDT (US)     21 / 161  
hello i am new to map design, i have managed to figure most of the stuff out with help from this forum. i am setting up a multiplayer map and want to set some outposts. i want these outposts to be independant to any of the players but when selecting outposts from the editor you seem to need to be listed as one of the players. so when the game starts they are pre-set to one of the players (i.e greece, persia, rome, egypt).

cheers in advance.

posted 08-30-06 05:15 AM EDT (US)     22 / 161  
Right, all you have to do is, for instance, you are making a 4-player scenario, create another player called outpost player(or whatever) and give them the outpost.

Youll need to press the outpost only button for them in the players 2 section of the players section.

I'd also like the oppotunity to advertise for my new scenarios, The top 2 scenarios in the single player section.

Veni, Vidi, Castratavi Illegitimos.

[This message has been edited by Sargon II (edited 08-30-2006 @ 05:41 AM).]

posted 08-30-06 05:29 PM EDT (US)     23 / 161  
thanks sargon II, that is one of the things i tried. it works in the way that the outposts are independant but they are not defended. the only soldiers i can see on the list stand outside the outposts rather than go back inside like home guards. any ideas how to sort this? or am i just being stupid and overlooked one of the units on the list?
posted 08-31-06 04:08 AM EDT (US)     24 / 161  
I have noticed that there are a list of outposts from 1 to 12 in the unit menu. I believe that outpost 1 has the most amount of troops garrisoned while 12 has none. I'm not sure but I know that you do not need to place the units yourself.

Btw what list are you referring to??

posted 08-31-06 04:32 AM EDT (US)     25 / 161  
I thought it that 1 AND 12 are undefended...

anyway, what I think you are referring to is the people standing outside an outpost. They usually stand outside an outpost once they are attacked or wish to attack you, sometimes they go back in, but not always.

If you mean something else, explain it to us in more detail or maybe a better scenario designer can help you.

And what DO you mean by the list?

Veni, Vidi, Castratavi Illegitimos.

[This message has been edited by Sargon II (edited 08-31-2006 @ 04:35 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » Imhotep’s Blueprints (Scenario Design) » Have a question? Post it here!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames