Moderated by Aurilux

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Instructions For Manually Patching Rise of Legends
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
posted 07-23-08 09:38 AM EDT (US)   
Instructions For Manually Patching Rise of Legends

PLEASE NOTE: The re-released DVD version of the game from 2010 is already patched.
If you buy the single disc DVD version you do not need to patch the game.

It appears the Rise of Legends patch server has been shut down leaving a lot of people with a problem.
The patches for ROL have been uploaded on some online file storage services.

To check if your copy is fully patched, load up the game and check on the main menu to see what version number you have.
If the number is 0.0704.1001.0000 or 0.0704.1001.0000.13.0 then your game is updated.

USA Patches For Rise of Legends

Download at HG
Download at Moddb

European Patches For Rise of Legends

Download at HG
Download at Moddb

If you still have trouble installing the patches, you can also try the Rise of Legends 2.5 Patch auto-install exe at Game Pressure and let us know below if it works.

Modpack.exe and More Modding Tools for Rise of Legends

Modpack.exe comes with one of the patches and is needed if you want to modify the game.
The file is normally found in the Rise Of Legends main folder ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise Of Legends" if the game is installed using the default path on an English language computer).
If you are unable to locate the file on your computer, you can download it here:

Download at HG
Download at Moddb

Discuss modding ROL here
List of ROL Files and Programs For Modding here
ROL Modding history for interested programmers and modders here

Instructions and More Info About Patching Rise of Legends

Youtube video tutorial on manually patching the game here

USA Patch Instructions Readme:

After downloading the rar file, unzip it and follow these instructions:

1. Place the folder "patches" in the "Rise Of Legends" main folder.
2. Move the file "US_patch_manual.bat" to the "Rise of Legends" main folder.
3. Run the file "US_patch_manual.bat" by double clicking it.
4. Load up the game and check on the main menu to see what version number you have,
if the number is 0.0704.1001.0000 or 0.0704.1001.0000.13.0 then you have successfully installed the patches.

You might have to run the .bat file in Administrator mode.
You also might have to disable any antivirus programs before running the .bat file.

In Windows Vista you might have to make sure the "Rise Of Legends" folder including subfolders are not "read only".

To check this right click the "Rise of Legends" folder and select "Properties".
If necessary remove the check mark at "read only" and tell it to turn off "read only" for all subsequent folders.

European Patch Instructions Readme:

After downloading the rar file, unzip it and follow these instructions:

1. Place the folder "patches" in the "Rise Of Legends" main folder.
2. Move the file "patch_manual.bat" to the "Rise of Legends" main folder.
3. Run the file "patch_manual.bat" by double clicking it.
4. Load up the game and check on the main menu to see what version number you have,
if the number is 0.0704.1001.0000 or 0.0704.1001.0000.13.0 then you have successfully installed the patches.

You might have to run the .bat file in Administrator mode.
You also might have to disable any antivirus programs before running the .bat file.

In Windows Vista you might have to make sure the "Rise Of Legends" folder including subfolders are not "read only".

To check this right click the "Rise of Legends" folder and select "Properties".
If necessary remove the check mark at "read only" and tell it to turn off "read only" for all subsequent folders.

Read more patch info in section #9 Tech Support and Patch Instructions here

Read the patch history change log (list of changes in each patch) here.

User Patch Project

Rise of Legends needs a User Patch project, please read about the user patches for AOE1 and AOE2 to get an idea about this type of project.

If you are a programmer and/or modder interested in working on a ROL User Patch project, please read more and post in the Modding Forum here.

Hopefully the above is of help to you, please post any questions and comments below:

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 07-25-2019 @ 03:09 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-02-13 09:44 PM EDT (US)     76 / 131  
Thanks PCDania!
Had the game installed and working and decided to update to the latest and greatest.
Finally got it all up n running. Silly me applied them in order....when i got to the bottom of the US Read me I went uh oh! Should not have ran the European batch files. OOPs! So I ended up uninstaling the game and trying to reinstall. Although I had removed everything using the uninstall as well as manualy removing the Rise of Legends directory the game did not want to reinstall. It wanted to uninstall what I had already removed and then the installer(uninstaller) would close.(Im guessing this was something to do with the registry)So I ended up doing a sytem restore. Once that was done the game did not want to install (I believe a runtime error). Got through that snaffu but on disc 2 it gave me a install shield error....found the fix for that over at microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910816
After all that got it all installed but had put all the files in the main ROL directory and was wondering why the patch was not taking. By reading directions and this thread more carefuly I figured out that I needed to run the us batch file from the main directory while putting the patch files in the patch directory located in the main RoL directory.Let this be a lesson to me and my skim speed reading...and when PCDana means follow directions carefuly and READ them.......he means it! All in good fun....thanks again PCDana!
posted 01-03-13 02:18 AM EDT (US)     77 / 131  
Oh boy. Sounds like the big nasty roundtrip. At least you survived. Hope you have fun playing the game.

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
posted 02-19-13 11:44 AM EDT (US)     78 / 131  
hi pcdania, first of all let me thank you, really i have never seen someone who keep a patch file for so many years, you saved me from piracy :P (its quite easier to get the patches and the game from torrent rather than legal way sadly )

anyway i did everything and the game is patched, however i don't have modpack.exe i am not sure why i don't have this file. i only know that my game is us version (first version). can i ask you for a favor to upload modpack.exe again? since rapidshare link don't work anymore. i would be really grateful.

thanks in advance :P
posted 02-19-13 04:30 PM EDT (US)     79 / 131  
Are you sure your game is fully patched? Modpack.exe is included in one of the patches and should be in the games mainfolder, it's a self-extracting zip-file. The game should say Version: 0.0612.1201.0000.13.0 just below the Exit button on the main menu in the game. (I've just installed and patched the game for making sure)

If your game say anything else, try disable UAC (requires a reboot), then run patch_manual.bat again. Remember to enable UAC again afterwards.

[This message has been edited by PCDania (edited 02-19-2013 @ 04:32 PM).]

posted 02-19-13 06:01 PM EDT (US)     80 / 131  
thanks for fast replay
i don't have windows vista, i still use xp and there is not UAC for xp

one thing that bother me is that i think 1 patch file is missing,
there is RETAIL-0605.1701.0000-0605.1701.0100.RTP
then the next file is RETAIL-0605.2403.0001-0606.1401.0000.RTP

there is no patch file with 0605.1701.0100-0605.2403.0001 name
i am not sure if its related but its the only thing that comes to my mind.

my current version of game is 0.0704.1001.0000.13.0 and i didn't run Europe manual patcher, only usa manual patcher.

hmm how do you know there is modpack.exe file in one of the patches? is there anyway to open .rtp files (i tried winrar and 7zip but couldn't open it) can you direct me to a program that open rtp files?
i am sorry for my bad english

[This message has been edited by omegaweapon (edited 02-19-2013 @ 06:13 PM).]

posted 02-20-13 02:53 AM EDT (US)     81 / 131  
I know Modpack.exe is in one of the patch files because Modpack.exe is not present in the unpatched version of Rise of Legends.

There are 11 European patches and 1 (one) US-only patch. You can't use the name of each patch file for finding out if one is missing as there were some hot-fixes along the way which are included in some of the final patches. This leads to the patch names to not be in order.

The US-only patch is called: RETAIL-0604.1602-0604.2001.RTP
The first European patch is called: RETAIL-0604.2001.0000-0605.0101.0100.RTP

If you have the US version of the game and use my patches, then you will have to first install the US-only patch and then the European patches for getting the game fully patched.

If you have the European version of the game you only have to install the European patches as your release of the game already contains the US-only patch.

When patching the game it checks for the patch level and skips un-needed patches.

Oh, sorry. I just see I forgot to install the newest european patch

Will do that in the evening after getting home from work. Installing that should give me Version 0.0704.1001.0000.13.0 as seen in the in-game main menu.
my current version of game is 0.0704.1001.0000.13.0 and i didn't run Europe manual patcher, only usa manual patcher.
Strange, I've never heard about a fully patched version of the game being available. Where did you buy the game? Might be good to know as the patches might get lost at some point.

[This message has been edited by PCDania (edited 02-20-2013 @ 02:57 AM).]

posted 02-20-13 04:29 AM EDT (US)     82 / 131  
no i said my current version , i mean after i patched the game i had this version, actually i think i have the oldest version of the game usa version i think, one of my family from usa give me this, he said its good game and such :P, then i run around looking for patches LOL.

without patch the game version is 0604.1602

well anyway thanks for your helps, it seems you can't upload this file for me (it seems its illegal) so i forget about mods

i hope gog.com add this game so we can find a way to get a fully patched game .
posted 02-20-13 09:54 AM EDT (US)     83 / 131  
I've installed the last patch and as expected, my version is 0.0704.1001.0000.13.0

Modpack.exe is part of the patches so I can't see it should be illegal to make it available as it's not part of the original game files. I have uploaded Modpack.exe to zippyshare and edited the download link in the OP.

Note that the editor is pretty buggy and prone to crashing.

[This message has been edited by PCDania (edited 02-20-2013 @ 10:22 AM).]

posted 02-20-13 02:51 PM EDT (US)     84 / 131  
thanks man, its working flawless now, i also installed otto expnasion mod, i am having fun again right now, all thanks to you, you are a real life saver .
posted 02-22-13 02:59 AM EDT (US)     85 / 131  
The company that owned ROL went bankrupt, and I don't think that any company bought the games. So, is it illegal to download the games from torrents? I have the original boxed version, but I'm just curious about this. If it is free, it might be possible to spark some interest in this game.
posted 02-22-13 03:04 AM EDT (US)     86 / 131  
Yes, it's illegal to download the game on torrents or install cracked versions of the game or in any way circumvent the copy protection. The publisher of the game owns every right to it and they have not made it free.

[This message has been edited by PCDania (edited 02-22-2013 @ 08:44 AM).]

posted 02-22-13 01:23 PM EDT (US)     87 / 131  
Oh yeah, I forgot that BHG didn't publish it themselves.
posted 02-28-13 08:11 PM EDT (US)     88 / 131  
Thanks for this. Just trying out RoL for the first time!
posted 03-03-13 04:31 PM EDT (US)     89 / 131  
Hello Again PCDania!
quicky question for ya..gioves me a reason to come back to the forum lol!
My internet connection went down and I noticed a couple things....
1. game would not start (looked like it would try to but just kinda stopped trying (the little spinning circle showing it was trying to start just went away after a few seconds)
2. Once My internet was up and runing the game started up fine.
3. I noticed my save games had changed to left4dead and when I clicked on the save from the game folder sure enough the game Left 4 Dead would start up.

looking at the game box it says internet is not required for playing single player...do the patches from here change that?
Oddly now that my internet is back the save games are working fine..i should look if they changed back.

Just curious....look foreward to hearing back!

Oh yes..looks like a little more activity here on the sight! Perhaps a multiplayer game anyone?

[This message has been edited by Byeohazard (edited 03-03-2013 @ 04:33 PM).]

posted 03-04-13 08:34 AM EDT (US)     90 / 131  
RoL does not need internet for playing single player but it will automatically check for updates when started. Something (maybe your antivirus program) has probably interfered with RoL when you started it leading to the strange behaviour.

It's not recommended to start a game by clicking a savegame (or map or similar) as one never knows what might happen. If some other program use the same file extension you risk the system going haywire leading to quite some trouble getting the programs to behave correctly again.

posted 03-17-13 12:52 PM EDT (US)     91 / 131  

Strange, I've never heard about a fully patched version of the game being available. Where did you buy the game? Might be good to know as the patches might get lost at some point.
Hi guys,

I did some testing myself and think I found what's going on. In this thread here I asked about Rise of Legends being re-released in 2010. It looks like it was re-released twice by Valusoft and these 2 new 2010 versions contain the patches.

I have 3 Usa copies of ROL and did some testing on a Windows 7 64 bit pc and it seems that if you have:
- the original Microsoft Usa 4 CD 2006 small plastic box with slipcase cover version, you will need to follow the patching steps in this thread
- the re-released Valusoft Usa 1 DVD 2010 version, which comes in 2 different packaging styles - 1 as a plastic DVD movie-style case and 1 as a regular plastic CD jewel case, you don't need to download any patches as both of these 2010 versions install as the correct latest version of 0.0704.1001.0000.13.0

You can tell the version is 2010 because before you install the game you can view the files on the dvdrom you can see the latest date for some files is 2010.

The interesting thing is that these 2010 versions don't seem to have that single Usa patch file, and so when I actually installed all the patches for the 2010 versions anyway, I had some new problems. For example, I could not start a single player "quick battle" game - after pressing the "start game" button nothing happens. So it would be a good idea to NOT use any additional patches for the 2010 re-released versions.

In summary, if you have the Usa 2006 4xCD box style case = you need the patches in this thread
If you have the Usa 2010 1xDVD dvd style case or 1xDVD cd style case = you don't need any patches

Unfortunately I don't know about the European or other versions - maybe a player from those countries can check out their game copies or visit online and local stores and see what the latest version for sale is.

So it's probably a good idea just to buy the game again and get the 2010 version to avoid any problems with the original 4 CD 2006 version. You can find new and used copies on Amazon, Ebay, etc for $5-$20. Also, the copies of ROL for sale on Amazon are not always labeled correctly, so it's a good idea to email the seller and double-check what version they really have. On Ebay it is easier to buy because sometimes you can see a photo of the physical case the game is in.

Hope this helps, it may not solve all the problems but maybe some of them.

Edit: It's probably a good idea to just buy a new 2010 DVD copy of the game to avoid any installation and/or patching problems on any kind of computer.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 03-31-2013 @ 05:34 PM).]

posted 03-18-13 02:57 AM EDT (US)     92 / 131  
Thanks alincarpetman. Knowing that should save some people a lot of trouble

posted 03-23-13 09:53 PM EDT (US)     93 / 131  
Hello PCDania. I've already successfully done the patches last year I believe, but then I moved on to Windows 8 going through a clean install (deletes everything). I remembered this game and tried installing it like I did last time:
1. copy all patches to a 'patches folder' in Rise of legends main directory, along with US manual patch (my version was US version)
2. disable antivirus, UAC. Run the batch file as an administrator

it seems as if looking for patch.exe, which seems broken for some reason - command prompt not recognizing it as a batch file or runnable program (as it goes through each .rtp, it opens up patch. exe, which is then unrecognized)

The steps I took aren't working anymore. I'm still stuck at .0.6004.1602 for some reason. i really don't know what went wrong. I need your help.

Thanks for staying with us till 2013, PCDania.
posted 03-24-13 04:11 AM EDT (US)     94 / 131  
Have you placed the batch file in the games main folder?

You could try if it works running the batch file from a command promt.

Unfortunately I don't have Windows 8 so I have no means of checking what might work.

If that does not work, try logon to your computer using the Administrator account and then try patch the game. You can see in below link how activate the Administrator account.
Petri.co.il
The site suggests to set a password on the account which is a good idea if other people have direct access to your computer.

[This message has been edited by PCDania (edited 03-24-2013 @ 04:13 AM).]

posted 03-26-13 07:33 AM EDT (US)     95 / 131  
I think I successfully updated it using us_patch_manual.bat under an administrator command prompt, although there is a game-breaking hitch:

The repair button is gone.

As in, I attack cities and then wait for them to repair themselves so they operate at full.
Same goes with the computer enemies.

I'll probably just reinstall and play at base version -.-
posted 03-26-13 09:15 AM EDT (US)     96 / 131  
But then you won't be able to download otter's mod...
posted 03-27-13 01:19 AM EDT (US)     97 / 131  
[note: I really don't like doing this on tech support forums, but I can't private message thejango40. feels bad.]

uhm, what's otter's mod?
posted 03-27-13 03:02 AM EDT (US)     98 / 131  
It is likely this thejango40 is talking about:

RoL Expansion Released!

Regarding your problem patching RoL on Win8.

Maybe if you both install and patch the game logged on as Administrator, disabled UAC and antivirus and using a command promt for the patching, it will work.

posted 08-04-13 07:00 AM EDT (US)     99 / 131  
Sorry for reviving this, since no-one has posed in 5 months.
But, if you want to install this game on Windows 8 you have to run patch.exe manually and install each patch manually through it.
To do this open a command promt as Admininstrator by going to C:\Windows\System32\ in Windows Explorer and rightclick cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator.

Next navigate to your RoL directory using "cd" command.
Next enter the command patch.exe. This should bring up the text ui for RTpatch. When it asks for "New file & directory" enter "patches\file_to_patch.rtp" remove the quotes and replace file_to_patch with the real name of the files. Do this for every patch in "patches" in the order they are.
posted 08-04-13 10:47 AM EDT (US)     100 / 131  
Thanks for telling how to patch on Windows 8.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Tech Support » Instructions For Manually Patching Rise of Legends
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames