You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modifications

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Turning Fighters into Bombers....
posted 04-27-10 07:42 AM EDT (US)   
I am trying to get F-16, Tornado's etc. to attack like Lancaster's and B-52's but it does not work properly.

I have copied over the animation lines of the bombers in the unit_graphics file to the fighters ones, yet when the fighters fire they 'lob' the bombs onto a singe point instead of carpet bombing. It is if they are firing the bombs like missiles....

Does anyone know how to get around this? It would be great if I could get some help on this for my mod
Replies:
posted 04-28-10 02:14 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6  
I'd also like to know this, for example when I give a nation more than one type of bomber, the secondary types 'lob' bombs like you described.

It works well for dive bombers but not for regular bombers.
posted 04-28-10 10:18 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6  
I've never tried this and I could do some experiments with it if you want but first let add two possible suggestions, and maybe you have already tried this.

1. Try changing the flags to match the bomber.

2. In unit_graphics try doing additional searches for the bomber, sometimes they have the regular entry but then a secondary one located elsewhere in the file, I found this out when I tried to mod the Dutch Armed Merchant, it had two entries, one for the Merchant and one for it's "crew", drove me nuts till I got lucky and found the second entry. Let me know if this works, if not I'll see what I can do.

Otter
posted 04-29-10 01:28 AM EDT (US)     3 / 6  
I have seemed to have solved the issue......somewhat. I placed just the F-16 model and art line over the B-52's one in in the unit_graphics

(JUST: "STRATEGICBOMBER-DEFAULT-AGE0" model=".\art\jetfighter_f16.bh3" texture=".\art\jetfighter_f16.tga")

But what I need to do is to be able to do it to a whole lot of aircraft. I still need the B-52 and Backfire etc in game, but want Tornado's and some F-16's to be able to bomb like bombers. I need to keep the B52's unit_graphics entry. How do I replicate it? Has it something to do with the type name?

As I said before in the above post just copying another units animation and so on does not work, but copying over that model and art did make the change. BUT does anyone know how I can replicate this without having to get rid of the B-52 and so on. I need to be able to make some f-16's where some are fighters, and some are tactical bombers.
What do you think needs to be done?
posted 04-29-10 10:53 AM EDT (US)     4 / 6  
Well, you can't add new unit in unitrules.xml, but you can mod unused one's, do a search for the many CTW units that aren't used, change them to whatever you want.
posted 04-30-10 08:12 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6  
Yeah I noted that in the WW3 2.9 mod that the CTW units had been done over. the problem for me is that I really don't know how to do that properly.

How do you set up new units in the unit_grpahics file? The 'unit names' seems to be the issue for me, and I really am in the deep end in terms of understanding on how that works.

As I said in the other post when you copy the animation of say a B-52 and put it into the F-16, and you keep the F-16's model, art,....and "UNIT name:" It acts still like a fighter.

e.g:
<UNIT name="F16-DEFAULT-AGE0" model=".\art\jetfighter_f16.bh3" texture=".\art\jetfighter_f16.tga" cache="0" scale="0.654" trackdist="-1" tracktype="" shadowtype="Jet Shadow" shadowwidth="80" shadowheight="80" tex_id="TEX_UNITS_1" tex_col="3" tex_row="0" tex_x="-1" tex_y="-1" tex_clip="0">
<ANIM name="CHAR_DEFAULT" file="Bomber Move"/>
<ANIM name="CHAR_SLOG" file="Bomber Move"/>
<ANIM name="CHAR_WALK" file="Bomber Move"/>
<ANIM name="CHAR_ATTACK2" file="Bomber Attack1"/>
<BOUNDINGVOLUMES>
<SPHERE x="0" y="0" z="0" rad="150"/>
</BOUNDINGVOLUMES>
<EXISTEVENT starttime="0" endtime="9999" anim="CHAR_WALK" type="B-25Prop0" node="2"/>
<EXISTEVENT starttime="0" endtime="9999" anim="CHAR_WALK" type="B-25Prop1" node="3"/>
<EXISTEVENT starttime="0" endtime="9999" anim="CHAR_SLOG" type="B-25Prop0" node="2"/>
<EXISTEVENT starttime="0" endtime="9999" anim="CHAR_SLOG" type="B-25Prop1" node="3"/>
<EXISTEVENT starttime="0" endtime="9999" anim="CHAR_DEFAULT" type="B-25Prop0" node="2"/>
<EXISTEVENT starttime="0" endtime="9999" anim="CHAR_DEFAULT" type="B-25Prop1" node="3"/>
<EXISTEVENT starttime="0" endtime="9999" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="B-25Prop0" node="2"/>
<EXISTEVENT starttime="0" endtime="9999" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="B-25Prop1" node="3"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="0" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="360" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="720" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1080" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1440" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="180" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="540" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="900" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1260" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1620" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<SOUNDEVENT starttime="0" anim="CHAR_ATTACK1" file="ATTACK"/>
<SOUNDEVENT starttime="0" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" file="ATTACK"/>
<SOUNDEVENT starttime="0" anim="CHAR_ATTACK3" file="ATTACK"/>
</UNIT>

But, if I copy the F-16's model and art over the B-52's model and art, it acts like a F-16 that bombs like a bomber, and not a fighter.

e.g:
<UNIT name="STRATEGICBOMBER-DEFAULT-AGE0" model=".\art\jetfighter_f16.bh3" texture=".\art\jetfighter_f16.tga" cache="0" scale="0.9" trackdist="-1" tracktype="" shadowtype="StratBomber Shadow" shadowwidth="120" shadowheight="120" tex_id="TEX_UNITS_1" tex_col="5" tex_row="0" tex_x="-1" tex_y="-1" tex_clip="-1">
<ANIM name="CHAR_ATTACK2" file="StrategicBomber Attack1"/>
<BOUNDINGVOLUMES>
<SPHERE x="0" y="0" z="0" rad="150"/>
</BOUNDINGVOLUMES>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="0" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="160" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="320" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="480" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="640" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="800" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1040" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1200" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1360" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1520" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1680" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1840" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="0"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="80" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="240" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="400" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="560" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="720" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="880" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1040" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1200" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1360" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1520" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1680" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<RELEASEEVENT starttime="1840" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" type="BomberBomb" node="1"/>
<SOUNDEVENT starttime="0" anim="CHAR_ATTACK1" file="ATTACK"/>
<SOUNDEVENT starttime="0" anim="CHAR_ATTACK2" file="ATTACK"/>
<SOUNDEVENT starttime="0" anim="CHAR_ATTACK3" file="ATTACK"/>
</UNIT>

This is the problem for me, it appears that the UNIT name might have something to do with it. Is this the case? How do you create a proper new unit in the unit_graphics file?

[This message has been edited by gus89 (edited 04-30-2010 @ 08:14 PM).]

posted 05-01-10 02:20 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6  
The unit name in unitgraphics is the GRAPH in unitrules. The GRAPH is also used for the soundtypes.xml. Unlike unitrules, in unitgraphics you can add new entries.
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » Game Modifications » Turning Fighters into Bombers....
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames