You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to All Factions Playable!
posted 20 May 2007 03:39 EDT (US)   
For versions 1.0 to 1.2.

I'm tired of seeing all the topics wanting to play as non playable factions so i'll make a guide.

Depending on where you installed RTW in your Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign you find descr_strat open it up. You'll find this:

playable
romans_julii
romans_brutii
romans_scipii
end
unlockable
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
gauls
germans
britons
greek_cities
end
nonplayable
romans_senate
macedon
pontus
armenia
dacia
numidia
scythia
spain
thrace
slave
end

(Yes i know there is more but don't change the rest!)

First. MAKE A BACKUP! I can't stress you enough to do this!

Second change it to this:

playable
romans_julii
romans_brutii
romans_scipii
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
gauls
germans
britons
greek_cities
romans_senate
macedon
pontus
armenia
dacia
numidia
scythia
spain
thrace
slave
end
unlockable
end
nonplayable
end

That will let you play all factions.

If you want to play as the rebels you'll have to put one of the factions into nonplayable.

I would reccomend putting the senate in as it crashes when you go to the senate tab and they're boring.

Like this:

playable
romans_julii
romans_brutii
romans_scipii
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
gauls
germans
britons
greek_cities
macedon
pontus
armenia
dacia
numidia
scythia
spain
thrace
slave
end
unlockable
end
nonplayable
romans_senate
end

That will allow you to play all the factions(including rebels) except the senate.

This might not work as I used a download to do it.

Ask Subrosa for more help

Well I hope i helped you with your conquest to take over the world!

Please rate this guide 1-10 please.

Kind Regards
Willwoms

P.S I think this should be a sticky. Say if you agree please

The walls shake at the noise of the horses, and of the wheels, and of the chariots
(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]

How come I destroyed all of you then?
°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.0

[This message has been edited by Willwoms (edited 05-21-2007 @ 10:42 AM).]

Replies:
posted 20 May 2007 03:43 EDT (US)     1 / 21  
yes, good guide. I found out from some random faq before i knew about this place. It MIGHT be useful enough to make a sticky, yak and GOS please take note. (even EoJ and Gauis if they can do that)
posted 20 May 2007 04:20 EDT (US)     2 / 21  
I'm sick of the same thing. In fact, I was planning to do one of these. Good work, Wilwoms.

scythianlord, Gaius can. I doubt EoJ can as he doesn't moderate here.
posted 20 May 2007 04:33 EDT (US)     3 / 21  
This isn't going to help, unless it is stickied. Even then I doubt there will be less threads asking "how do i unlock teh other factions becuz i reallywanna play with teh other factions, so pleaaase help me.", because there seem to be many people who don't read the stickies or use the search unction before posting a new thread.

Your guide isn't really good. It describes what you have to do, but it could be clearer. And capitalized. And spell-checked. 6.5/10

Hussarknight
posted 20 May 2007 11:01 EDT (US)     4 / 21  
Much as I applaud the effort, this is a guide to 1.0 and 1.2 unlocking of factions, without having to give descriptions. In other words, the guide is outdated once you patch up
In the newbie FAQ (Granted, not many people look far enough down- it should be in H1, bold, flashing and dancing as the first question) it has the following-
Q41: How do I unlock all of the factions?

A41: Download this mod for 1.5/1.6 or this mod for 1.2.
With a link to the relevent mods.
And Ar is correct- I don't moderate at TWH.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 20 May 2007 12:44 EDT (US)     5 / 21  
I downloaded the guide some time ago (for 1.5/1.6) but the mod didn't seem to change anything. So I decided to edit those files. And it finally worked, without the descriptions though.

This is the best signature ever!
posted 20 May 2007 23:38 EDT (US)     6 / 21  
It works well but im wandering if anyone has worked out how to unlock rebels for custom battle aswell as campaign mode ?

Sparta Needs No Walls. Its Men Are Its Walls.
posted 21 May 2007 06:57 EDT (US)     7 / 21  
I think there is a line somewhere (descr_strat?) that says custom battle playable: true (or false) or something similar.

Carthage
And beyond, green fields under a swift sunrise
Oh well, thats not so bad, is it?
No, no it's not

Proud joint winner of the M2TWH Saladin award
posted 21 May 2007 08:13 EDT (US)     8 / 21  
I am not the most PC literate person in the world, but I'd love to play the other factions but can't.

This guide is fine in theory - but I can't change any of the files - they are read-only and stay read only even if I want to change them. I have found the file but have no option to open and change. Just copy or extract.

So I copy them on the desktop - and change the file - but cannot put them back into the game files.

I must be missing something - do I need to open it with a certain program, or install so I don't need the disk to play. Am confused

EDIT: Am Version 1.0

[This message has been edited by Smackus Maximus (edited 05-21-2007 @ 08:15 AM).]

posted 21 May 2007 10:44 EDT (US)     9 / 21  
I'm not sure about that.

Ask Subrosa.

Kind Regards
Willwoms

The walls shake at the noise of the horses, and of the wheels, and of the chariots
(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]

°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.0
posted 21 May 2007 10:59 EDT (US)     10 / 21  
No prob Willwoms - good guide, I just can't seem to access or mod the files....
posted 21 May 2007 11:54 EDT (US)     11 / 21  
It sounds like they files are set to Read-Only access. If you right click on them, and then bring up the properties on them it will show if that is so.

I have another question. Do you have Windows Vista? Because I have heard that it can prevent you from altering your files in an overzealous attempt to protect you from virii.
posted 21 May 2007 20:23 EDT (US)     12 / 21  
Ive got vista and i still managed to do it
posted 22 May 2007 16:42 EDT (US)     13 / 21  
So to unlock the rebels for custom battle what text file do i need to go to and when do i need to change within the text file ?

posted 23 May 2007 03:28 EDT (US)     14 / 21  
I don't have Vista - the files are set to read only and that can't be changed.

Do I have to fully install the game to get modifiable files, I have to put the disc in at the moment in order to play the same (i.e. partially installed).
posted 23 May 2007 05:57 EDT (US)     15 / 21  
If you right click the file and go to properties, can you not uncheck the 'read me only' option ?

Also i have searched the desc_strat file for 'custom battle playable' aswell as those words individualy but no luck in finding the text line that allows me to play rebels on custom battle. Any suggestions on how to do it ?

[This message has been edited by Xyphos_Pet (edited 05-23-2007 @ 06:24 AM).]

posted 23 May 2007 22:19 EDT (US)     16 / 21  
I don't have Vista - the files are set to read only and that can't be changed.

Do I have to fully install the game to get modifiable files, I have to put the disc in at the moment in order to play the same (i.e. partially installed).
It is normal to have to put the disc in to start the game. That is just a check to make sure that you have not pirated the game (not that it stops people from pirating games, it just annoys paying customers). The game should be completely installed on your hard drive. As far as I know there are no options for a partial install (it has been a while since I installed it, but I do not remember anything of the sort).

When you say they are set to read-only, do you mean that (as Xyphos_Pet said) if you right-click on the file, select Properties in the box that pops us, the button that says 'Read-Only' is checked, and will not uncheck? Or are the contents of the file being changed back even though 'Read-Only' is unchecked?

If it is the latter, then maybe it is something the game is doing. I do not know, I never had 1.0. I do recommend updating your game to 1.5 however, for the bug-fixes if nothing else. If you want to do that, you would have to apply the 1.3 patch, and then the 1.5 patch (do not skip the 1.3 patch).
posted 24 May 2007 07:56 EDT (US)     17 / 21  
Am starting to think I have been approaching this from the wrong angle.

I try to access the files by clicking on the cd drive and accessing the disks files - these probably don't change. What your saying is I have to find the location of the games files after they have gone into my PC and change them there. Can't remember if I tried that - will check this evening....
posted 24 May 2007 11:45 EDT (US)     18 / 21  
Yes, it is the files on your hard drive that you need to edit. Go to the shortcut that you use to start game, left click on it, then click on Properties. In the window that pops up there will be a line called Start In. That lists the drive and folder where your game is.
posted 25 May 2007 03:15 EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Wilwoms, I've written a guide as well. Do you object if I post it? I've got a couple of pictures to go with it.
posted 25 May 2007 11:23 EDT (US)     20 / 21  
Well you could m abye lend me the picture codes and tell me where to put them in my guide or help me improve it.

posted 25 May 2007 18:40 EDT (US)     21 / 21  
Wow, pictures sound great. Very good thinking Ar_Kai (and I applaud your effort, I know it takes a while going through one screen capture after another). This is a question people constantly ask, so something definitive and easy to understand would be invaluable.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Guide to All Factions Playable!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames