Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Non-Playable factions Playable
posted 01 July 2007 19:59 EDT (US)   
I was just wondering how do I make Macedonia playable? I'm not that sure where the search button is and I was wondering if anyone could help me.
Replies:
posted 01 July 2007 20:54 EDT (US)     1 / 11  
The search button is at the bottom of this page. Can't help you with Macedon though, sorry

Go to this site: http://www.actiontrip.com/cheats/rometotalwar.phtml
It should be under all factions

[This message has been edited by hyperkill (edited 07-01-2007 @ 08:55 PM).]

posted 01 July 2007 21:24 EDT (US)     2 / 11  
There's plenty of mods that make all factions playable. I can email the one I downloaded to you if you want.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
posted 01 July 2007 22:04 EDT (US)     3 / 11  
This will work if you have RTW 1.5. I cannot vouch for it working on any other version.

Go to: RTW\World\Maps\Campaign\Imperial_Campaign\descr_strat.txt

Make a copy of it for a backup to be on the safe side. I am not kidding. If you screw this up, your game is hosed. Open up the original. You will see the beginning looks like this:
;

Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign imperial_campaign
playable
romans_julii
romans_brutii
romans_scipii

end
unlockable
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
gauls
germans
britons
greek_cities

end
nonplayable
romans_senate
macedon
pontus
armenia
dacia
numidia
scythia
spain
thrace
slave

end
Change it to look like this:
; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign imperial_campaign
playable
romans_julii
romans_brutii
romans_scipii
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
gauls
germans
britons
greek_cities
macedon
pontus
armenia
dacia
numidia
scythia
spain
thrace
slave

end
unlockable
end
nonplayable
romans_senate
end
However, the interface in the campaign selection screen is only made to display 20 factions, so the rebel/slaves are not shown there even if you unlock them as above. If you want to play them you have to move one of the other factions to unlockable or nonplayable. I put the senate in nonplayable.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 07-01-2007 @ 10:04 PM).]

posted 02 July 2007 07:13 EDT (US)     4 / 11  
Why, Lady Rosa, that does look oh so familiar. You must have it copied somewhere so you can paste it again and again. =P
posted 02 July 2007 08:23 EDT (US)     5 / 11  

Hussarknight
posted 02 July 2007 10:51 EDT (US)     6 / 11  
thanks SubRosa, I think I'll go with your method, do u think I could copy and paste it and still have it work? And is The Rtw Gold version have 1.5 with it? Also do I need to copy this to-- ; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor? I can't really go on though to see because I got punished from my computer( I'm on the house computer right now)

[This message has been edited by Riskyman (edited 07-02-2007 @ 10:55 AM).]

posted 02 July 2007 10:54 EDT (US)     7 / 11  
You need to add more stuff to stop the game crashing when you select them, so it would be easier just to install a mod.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
posted 02 July 2007 10:55 EDT (US)     8 / 11  
Argg this is soo annoying.

I've seen about 10 of these different posts.

They should use the search button like everyone said

The walls shake at the noise of the horses, and of the wheels, and of the chariots
(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]._.´¯)(¯`._.[ ]

How come I destroyed all of you then?
°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.O O.o°°o.0
posted 02 July 2007 12:02 EDT (US)     9 / 11  
thanks SubRosa, I think I'll go with your method, do u think I could copy and paste it and still have it work? And is The Rtw Gold version have 1.5 with it? Also do I need to copy this to-- ; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor? I can't really go on though to see because I got punished from my computer( I'm on the house computer right now)
Yes, you can copy and paste that over the existing section in descr_strat.txt Just be careful that you do not copy over anything else in that file however, as there are a lot of other things below the factions. That is the only file you need to change. There is another one that has the faction descriptions, but you do not need to edit that to play the other factions. It will just say No Description in the description field when you select the faction to play.

Why, Lady Rosa, that does look oh so familiar. You must have it copied somewhere so you can paste it again and again. =P
Indeed I have a text file on my desktop with the answers to the questions that people ask all the time.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 07-02-2007 @ 12:04 PM).]

posted 02 July 2007 14:39 EDT (US)     10 / 11  
Also, anyone who wants to answer this, how do I create a backup file? Do I copy and paste everything and if I screw up, then I just delete everything and paste what I copied or something else?
posted 02 July 2007 19:15 EDT (US)     11 / 11  
To make a backup of a file simply open Windows Explorer and find the file. Click on it once to select it (do not double-click on it and open it). Then go to the menu bar, click on File, then from the box that drops down click on Copy. Click on File again, and then in the drop-down box click on Paste.

It will paste a copy of the file you selected in the same folder as the original, called "Copy of xxx". That is it.

When you edit your descr_strat.txt file just copy and paste of the same part of the file that I put up here. Leave the part that says:
start_date-270 summer
end_date14 summer

brigand_spawn_value 10
pirate_spawn_value 28
and everything after it alone.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Non-Playable factions Playable
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames