Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: More nations
posted 07 October 2007 01:56 EDT (US)   
I have had a look at some of the guides and they are for nations that you cannot unlock. After seeing this I did some research and found that you could go thru the C:/ etc to change it. I have tried this, and with most success. Unfortunetly when I try to play Spain and some other nations my game just shuts down and goes back to desk top.
Does anyone know how to fix this or is it just becuase i'm changing things to do with the game.?

THNX

"Brave men are a city's strongest tower of defence"
- Alcaeus
Replies:
posted 07 October 2007 03:22 EDT (US)     1 / 14  
Read this article on another forum, and use the show_err command. That will usually tell you what is not working with the game. Without knowing further details, my guess is that you have made a typo somewhere.
posted 07 October 2007 05:29 EDT (US)     2 / 14  
What version of RTW are you using? Older versions require that a faction has a description in RomeTotalWar\data\text\campaign_descriptions.txt before you can play as them.

Hussarknight
posted 07 October 2007 18:10 EDT (US)     3 / 14  
This will work if you have RTW 1.5. I do not believe it will work on earlier versions.

Go to: RTW\World\Maps\Campaign\Imperial_Campaign\descr_strat.txt

Make a copy of it for a backup to be on the safe side. Then open it up. You will see the beginning looks like this:
;

Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaignimperial_campaign
playable
romans_julii
romans_brutii
romans_scipii

end
unlockable
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
gauls
germans
britons
greek_cities

end
nonplayable
romans_senate
macedon
pontus
armenia
dacia
numidia
scythia
spain
thrace
slave

end
Change it to look like this:
; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaignimperial_campaign
playable
romans_julii
romans_brutii
romans_scipii
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
gauls
germans
britons
greek_cities
macedon
pontus
armenia
dacia
numidia
scythia
spain
thrace
slave

end
unlockable
end
nonplayable
romans_senate
end
However, the interface in the campaign selection screen is only made to display 20 factions, so the rebel/slaves are not shown there even if you unlock them as above. If you want to play them you have to move one of the other factions to unlockable or nonplayable. I put the senate in nonplayable, but that is just a matter of personal preference.
posted 07 October 2007 18:19 EDT (US)     4 / 14  
You ought to link that in your sig SubRosa, you explain it so often.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
posted 09 October 2007 09:47 EDT (US)     5 / 14  
If I could, I'd expand SubRosa's sig allowance to allow the whole thing to fit into her sig

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 11 October 2007 19:38 EDT (US)     6 / 14  
It wont let me save this config.

It says -

Cannot create the C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt file.

Make sure that the path and file name are correct.

I am not sure of my version (Gold ed, BI added).

Why on earth did they not just make the game with all these unlockable? It would have been really easy and saved a lot of hassle! It really annoyed me, after destroying the Macedonians for the first time, save, quit, new campaign and NO MACEDONIANS! I almost threw the game out of the window!
posted 11 October 2007 21:01 EDT (US)     7 / 14  
Hi Marcus.

You can find out your versions of Rome Total War and Barbarian Invasion by starting each and going to the Options screen off the Main Menu. Your version will be displayed in the upper right corner of the screen.

Is the file set to Read-Only? Or are you using Windows Vista? I know that with Vista you are often locked out of the simplest things because the operating system thinks it is protecting you.
posted 13 October 2007 17:01 EDT (US)     8 / 14  
I am using Vista, yes. Is that going to be a problem?
posted 13 October 2007 19:58 EDT (US)     9 / 14  
Sometimes Vista can be. I believe you have to be logged in as an administrator in order to do anything like changing files.
posted 14 October 2007 08:11 EDT (US)     10 / 14  
Administrator! That is one of my issues with Vista. I am logged in as admin, but half the time it won't let me change a file name! (even on a file I have JUST created). To be honsest I despair at the new WinDOHs OS as it is worse than XP (I never had any issues with XP. I currently think Vista is also crashing my games, git that it is).

Vista should be chucked into the nearest 'recycle bin' and 'deleted'

Thanks for your help though. I will try and try and it will probably have a fit and let me (As it did when I created 'Seved Music' by mistake and it eventually let me rename it).

I wonder if other people are having issues with Vista and RTW?
posted 14 October 2007 08:35 EDT (US)     11 / 14  
I have vista and when on RTW or BI it randomly goes to desktop.Normaly it goes back on but will it sometimes freeze. Any ideas?
posted 14 October 2007 09:34 EDT (US)     12 / 14  
YEY! I finally got this working! I did it a little differently, but SubRosa's text up there works!

Here is what I did, for anyone else who may have problems with Vista

1 - I made two folders
2 - One I named A1
- The other A2
3 - I cut the descr_strat file from the RTW prog files and put it into A1
4 - I then opened the descr_strat file in A1 and pasted SubRosas text into the right place
5 - I clicked save as, and saved it as the same file name (descr_strat), but in A2
6 - I then copied the A2 descr_strat file and pasted it into the RTW prog files.

Info - Vista will pop up with boxes that say they need to verify if you are the Administrator to cut or paste things. This is fine as long as you are logged in as Admin and clicking 'ok' will get rid of the box and begin the cut/paste.

This might seem a long way to do things, or just obvious to some, but Vista really makes it problematic. I couldn't seem to just 'save' as or 'save as' the modded descr_strat file when it was in the RTW Prog files, so taking it out of there solved my little problem.

I have also done this to unlock Medieval Total War II civs also, so if you have both and Vista, this works there also.

BTW - Funnily enough, I can get MTW2 to work much better than ANY other game on my new laptop. Strange, as I can't even get MTW 1 to load the campaign map.... Anyway, off subject and off game.

[This message has been edited by Marcus Victor (edited 10-14-2007 @ 09:36 AM).]

posted 14 October 2007 14:27 EDT (US)     13 / 14  
The easiest way to get around Vista is to copy the text file to your desktop and make the change there and then copy it back into the original folder where you will get an alert but you will be able to do it.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 15 October 2007 03:22 EDT (US)     14 / 14  
Hmm, I guess I just like making two different files first off, original and modded, as I never trust windows not to go pear shaped or me to muck up something.

I suppose cutting and then making a copy on the desktop would be the same. I suppose I always like to make things more difficult for myself (Fun that way...)

[This message has been edited by Marcus Victor (edited 10-15-2007 @ 03:24 AM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » More nations
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames