Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Favourite faction
posted 21 December 2004 13:54 EDT (US)   
What is your favourite faction?
Replies:
posted 21 December 2004 13:58 EDT (US)     1 / 18  
Ayeesh, hard choice, stuck between the Britons and the Seleucids.....I'll go the Seleucids, pack more power in their military.

Mother Should I Trust The Government?~Pink Floyd, The Wall
posted 21 December 2004 14:52 EDT (US)     2 / 18  
Hmm... well, Romans and Seleucids obviously have the best units, but my favorite faction would have to be... Macedon. They're infantry and cavalry are not the best, but they are cheaper than most better ones, so you can have more men. Plus the Cretan Archers are just amazing!

CURRENT PROJECT: The Battle of Crecy - 50%
Go to this awesome forum if you like LotR!
http://s9.invisionfree.com/doriaththehk/index.php?act=idx
posted 21 December 2004 15:36 EDT (US)     3 / 18  
i have none...
i like playing the britons and any weak faction like numidia, just stay away with those romans!
posted 21 December 2004 16:39 EDT (US)     4 / 18  
i'm liking the Greeks right now, but before it was Parthia and Egypt. you have to love the phalances.
posted 21 December 2004 19:09 EDT (US)     5 / 18  
Macedon.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 21 December 2004 19:47 EDT (US)     6 / 18  
romans hands down.. well the senete.. gotta love de purple..

"Tell them in Lacedomian, passer by..
Obiedint to their laws, here we lie.."

Herodotus Histories..
"Against one million in this place,
fought 4,000 Peloppenians, Face to Face.."

Herodotus Histories..
posted 21 December 2004 19:52 EDT (US)     7 / 18  
I would say it's dead even between the Julii (yea I know the Romans are a little overpowered) and the Seleucids, though I'm using the Julii more now because they're just more viable. Their Cohorts take arrow fire better than Silver Shield Pikemen, and their Praetorian Cavalry are about as good as Cataphracts for less. Also, I usually end up fighting little bums that use lame factions like the Egyptians, Parthians, Scythians, or Armenians that OD on archers and horse archers, and Seleucid Pikemen fall like flies to armies like that.

Egypt is definitely my least favorite faction. I just find them way too unfair. I was once using the Julii against them once, and beat away all their Desert cavalry, which caused huge casualties against my Praetorian cavalry, which cost about twice as much, then they still have a flood of Pharoh's bowmen and Pharoh's spearmen. My Urban cohorts fight them all. I flank their Spearmen, and eventually beat them after taking most casualties from arrow fire. Now they send three more units against about 6 more units of Urbans. I end up flanking their men, and not only that, but also they're only being attacked from behind, while the enemy is shooting at a decoy unit of cavalry, but somehow their damn men can inflict more casualties on me than I can on them, even though they're the ones being attacked from behind while in phalanx formation. My men rout and the guy's 8 units of bowmen didn't even exhaust their arrows yet. A strategy that COULD NOT fail against any army with normal units gets obliterated by Egypt and their insane units. If anything their archers should be nerfed. Their regular bowmen have 120 men in a unit and their elite ones have 80 plus the same attack and defense as Principes and their cheapest cavalry has the ability to crack Praetorian Cavalry, and even causes massive damage to Cataphracts.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
posted 21 December 2004 19:57 EDT (US)     8 / 18  
I've gotta go with Macedon.

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
posted 21 December 2004 23:49 EDT (US)     9 / 18  
Britons or Germannia

Dw i'n dod o Gymru. GO CYMRU!!!
posted 22 December 2004 00:52 EDT (US)     10 / 18  
hear hear, Ace!

Definitely the Romans for me. I love their infantry.

His ego nec metas rerum nec tempora pono:
Imperium sine fine dedi.
(P. Vergilius Maro, Aeneid I. 278-79)
We are all, so far as we inherit the civilisation of Europe, still citizens of the Roman Empire, and time has not proved Virgil wrong when he wrote nec tempora pono: imperium sine fine dedi.
(T.S. Eliot)
posted 22 December 2004 01:53 EDT (US)     11 / 18  
Yeah, romans may be overpowered, but I just love their style of play. You know...nice organised blocks of men, firing javs then clashing in hand-to-hand combat, all nicely topped off with some good old cav flanking. I've never been a massive fan of phalanx units, as they take too much fiddling, and things usually have to be precise with them, or they get screwed in the...rear...of their formation Needles to say, I still enjoy the sight of infantry like legions getting impaled on those long spears as they charge...
posted 22 December 2004 04:39 EDT (US)     12 / 18  

Quote:

Egypt is definitely my least favorite faction. I just find them way too unfair. I was once using the Julii against them once, and beat away all their Desert cavalry, which caused huge casualties against my Praetorian cavalry, which cost about twice as much, then they still have a flood of Pharoh's bowmen and Pharoh's spearmen. My Urban cohorts fight them all. I flank their Spearmen, and eventually beat them after taking most casualties from arrow fire. Now they send three more units against about 6 more units of Urbans. I end up flanking their men, and not only that, but also they're only being attacked from behind, while the enemy is shooting at a decoy unit of cavalry, but somehow their damn men can inflict more casualties on me than I can on them, even though they're the ones being attacked from behind while in phalanx formation. My men rout and the guy's 8 units of bowmen didn't even exhaust their arrows yet. A strategy that COULD NOT fail against any army with normal units gets obliterated by Egypt and their insane units. If anything their archers should be nerfed. Their regular bowmen have 120 men in a unit and their elite ones have 80 plus the same attack and defense as Principes and their cheapest cavalry has the ability to crack Praetorian Cavalry, and even causes massive damage to Cataphracts.

Quote:

A strategy that COULD NOT fail against any army with normal units gets obliterated by Egypt and their insane units

Egypt does not have inane units. you just need a new strat vs eggies.

Quote:

If anything their archers should be nerfed. Their regular bowmen have 120 men in a unit and their elite ones have 80

Assuming you have it on large units size, a) there regular bowmen are very weak b) Pharaoh's Bowmen are the elite of an eggy army, the best of the best. OBVIOUSLY THEY WILL BE GOOD!!!

Quote:

and their cheapest cavalry has the ability to crack Praetorian Cavalry

*cough*
Their cheapest cavalry unit is the desert cavalry unit.
It is armed with an axe.
And is weak vs. cavalry (tho strong vs inf.)
After that is Nubian Cavalry, second level, armed with a spear but no sword. so, with the initial charge is powerful, they will fall in continued hand-to-hand combat.

Quote:

and beat away all their Desert cavalry, which caused huge casualties against my Praetorian cavalry

yeah right.

Honestly, try checking game facts before badmouthing a faction

My favourite... greece. gotta love those hoplites.

sig

[This message has been edited by black_knight_101 (edited 12-22-2004 @ 04:40 AM).]

posted 22 December 2004 11:27 EDT (US)     13 / 18  
Favourite, hmm, have to say Carhtage, Gaul and Greeks
posted 22 December 2004 13:43 EDT (US)     14 / 18  

Quote:

Their cheapest cavalry unit is the desert cavalry unit.
It is armed with an axe.
And is weak vs. cavalry (tho strong vs inf.)
After that is Nubian Cavalry, second level, armed with a spear but no sword. so, with the initial charge is powerful, they will fall in continued hand-to-hand combat.

Are you joking? Desert Cavalry do enourmous damage against far better and more expensive cavalry units. Set up a game with Desert Cavalry vs Praetorians or Cataphracts and tell me that they don't more than make up their value.

Quote:

yeah right.

Honestly, try checking game facts before badmouthing a faction

Why don't you actually try a situation out before going off what you think instead of facts? Set up an army with one half of it being Pharoh's Bowmen and the other half Desert Cavalry, then upgrade them with whatever money's left over. See if any reasonable person can beat that.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
posted 22 December 2004 17:04 EDT (US)     15 / 18  
I'd have to say that Carthage is my favourite faction. They aren't the *best* at any category (with the possible exception of armoured elephants, even though other cultures have these, and I dont use these in MP; too damned expensive). With Carthage, it always falls down to strategy, never a simple overpowering drive with super-infantry (Romans), cavalry (Praetorians/Cataphracts), or archers (Egypt/Germania), and I just love that. Whenever I win with Carthage it feels like I actually did some thinking, rather than just rely on one core unit to bash my way through the battle. Proving that brain always wins over brawn is the best thing about RTW for me.

[This message has been edited by Xorhas EL Malek (edited 12-22-2004 @ 05:05 PM).]

posted 22 December 2004 18:32 EDT (US)     16 / 18  
Greeks have to be my favorite faction I really like those hoplite phalanxes and you get really good at using phalanx formations after a while.

Join the Citadel: Total War mod. A modification for Rome: Total War.
Citadel: Total War
Saranalos and Custer's game
I love my bowler hat!
posted 22 December 2004 19:33 EDT (US)     17 / 18  
black_knight_101, Ace is probably the most knowledgable we have here, trust me, if he says so, he's probably right.

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
posted 22 December 2004 19:41 EDT (US)     18 / 18  
^^^ aw...

*goes off into corner and shakes*

when i grow up i'm gonna hurt him...

sig
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Favourite faction
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames