Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Europa Barbarorum AAR - Romani
posted 18 October 2007 09:16 EDT (US)   
With Europa Barbarorum version 1.0 released, I decided to do an AAR with it. With autumn holidays coming up, I have plenty of time on my hands. And I think I'm gonna need it. I've never played EB before, so it will take me some time to get used to it's complexity.

The starting screen. I've chosen to play as the Romani (Romans), because they are one of the two factions classified as "Moderate". I prefer I somewhat gentle introduction to this huge mod.

My starting position:

The Romani start the game with a few diplomatic relations already established.

I hope you'll enjoy my AAR. More to follow in the first post.

Hussarknight

[This message has been edited by Hussarknight (edited 10-18-2007 @ 09:22 AM).]

Replies:
posted 18 October 2007 12:14 EDT (US)     1 / 21  
At the start my treasury isn't huge, and buildings and unit are quite expensive, so I can't make too much. I decide to build a tradeport in Capua, it's the best economical building I can make right now. A spy is sent north, as well as a diplomat. Another spy, from Sicily, moves into southern Italy to spy on the Epirotes.

Next turn I attack a small epirote army with the garrison from Arpi. I move Lucivs Cornelivs Scipio from Capua to the army. He's the best Roman commander available in the southern regions.

All cavalry is deployed on the far right flank, so it can get around the hoplites and take out the archers quickly.

The first charge at the archers fails, they counter-charge and the hoplites join in. The cavalry retreats, and the Epirote toxotes (archers) pursue the equites. A charge is ordered and the archers are quickly routed.

With their missile support gone, the Epirote infantry march up to meet the legionnaires. They are pounded heavily by missiles fired into their rear and side while trying to catch one of my light infantry units. I use it to let the Epirotes march around my infantry, so the pila can do their work. A charge was enough to rout them.

Victorious the army marches towards Taras, the main Epirote town in Italia. The town is besieged the next season and assaulted two turns later. EB uses a four-turns-per-year script, so it's still only 271 BC.

Rams are moved up towards the sections of wall next to the gate, but stop halfway there to make sure they stay out of range of the Hellenistic skirmishers. Another ram is moving towards the wall further to the right.

After the walls have been breached and tow units of defenders routed, part of the infantry shifts right to deal with a cavalry unit, while other soldiers hurry to intercept some peltasts.

Simultaneously, the Roman leves (Camillan skimishers) run out of the town to prevent getting slaughtered by the remaining hostile cavalry.

With their target gone, the cavalrymen now attack the Romans that had previously routed the other cavalry unit. They are routed to, but the Epirote captain survives.

Now I redeploy all infantry on the small square that can be found near the plaza. I'm hoping to lure the Epirotes in a trap.

It takes a while, but then the last big Epirote unit is also trapped. The few defenders that remain are killed on the plaza.

Roma Victor!
The Greeks are send of to serve as slaves.

I'm off to athletics training now, I hope to add some more tomorrow.

Hussarknight
posted 18 October 2007 15:38 EDT (US)     2 / 21  
Good job on taking Taras.

The Romani are quite fun, I had a campaign as them started on 0.81. I've taken over most of Carthage's holdings, and started north, but it's having some CTD problems.

Just a note, if you attack Messana, Carthage will declare war on you. Not that you would probably care too much.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
posted 19 October 2007 19:49 EDT (US)     3 / 21  
Very cool Hussarknight. I am looking forward to seeing more of EB. It looks very complicated. Especially for nomadic factions.
posted 20 October 2007 01:23 EDT (US)     4 / 21  
They are. I tried a campaign as the Saka Rauka, and let me tell you, there was no way I could do anything after the first few turns. Other nomads are probably easier though.

posted 20 October 2007 03:00 EDT (US)     5 / 21  
It looks very complicated. Especially for nomadic factions.
It is. I have not had major trouble with the Romani yet, but they are going to get far more complicated, with different regions being governed in different ways, allowing different units and buildings. I'll just see what comes along. Expansion is much slower that I'm used to. I'm more careful, and enemies are stronger.

No pictures for the next few turns, something went wrong and they didn't get saved properly by Fraps.

In the first few seasons that followed the capture of Taras, the Republic of Rome knew peace. Yet in that time of peace our leader died, too much grief amongst all proper Romans. He was quickly replaced, tough.

The only fighting that occurred in that year took place near the border between Campania and Rhegium, where a small army of rebellious Samnites appeared. They were easily crushed.

In the winter of 271 BC, a Roman diplomat reached the Epirote city of Epidmanus. The Epirotes agreed to sign a peace treaty with Rome. No tributes were paid by either side.
Soon afterwards the Makedones signed an pact with the very same diplomat. Rome and Makedonia are now allies too each other. But can the Makedones be trusted? We'll see.

I hope to add more this afternoon. Maybe I'm able to defeat the Roman rebels that hold Region.

Hussarknight
posted 20 October 2007 06:10 EDT (US)     6 / 21  
Looking good.

Can i ask a question? I've never done an AAR before, and i was thinking of doing one, but i'm not sure exactly how you do the pictures. I know its print screen, but surely i'd have to minimize the screen each time i do it?
posted 20 October 2007 07:53 EDT (US)     7 / 21  
You can use the print screen, but a much faster and easier way is to use a program such as Fraps to do it. This saves you the pain and time of minimalizing RTW every time you take a screenshot. Then you'll have to host them on an image-hosting site (for example www.photobucket.com)
I hope to see an AAR by you soon!

Hussarknight
posted 20 October 2007 08:55 EDT (US)     8 / 21  
Awesome, thanks alot, i've downloaded it and might start on doing a Brutii one.

In the meantime i'm looking forward to reading some more of yours.
posted 20 October 2007 11:30 EDT (US)     9 / 21  
The siege of Region started in the summer of 269 BC. During the year before that season, units had been gathered in a fort near Region under the command of the very same Scipio that had previously liberated Taras.

The siege continued without much trouble, until a rebel army appeared between Arpi and Taras.

There was a tough decision to be made: would Lucivs Cornelivs Scipio lead his men away from Region too defeat captain Prax and his men, or would he wait for region to fall? The first option would be hard to execute, as it was winter, which meant movement was restricted by 45%. Therefor Lucivus decided to take Region first.

But that would have to wait for the winter to pass. Being far away from friendly towns or forage, supplies were getting low.

When the winter had gone away, Caivs Avrelivs Cotta came from Tarar, bringing new supplies with him. Scipio left the army so the troops would get the fresh food, and the better morale that it caused. Now everything was set to take Region.

The legionaries were deployed. First the Leves would pepper the enemy with javelins, then the infantry would pour trough the breached walls. Meanwhile another ram would breach the walls to right, so the cavalry contingent, including both generals, could attack the rebels in the rear.

The walls are breached, and now the roman infantry pours into the settlement.

Thins are not going well for the lone hastati unit that is fighting a unit of men similar to them, as well as a unit of principes.

But help is on it's way.

The hastati break under the pressure and flee.

The for now victorious infantry joins their brothers in rebellion that are fighting the Roman principes. Shortly afterward, however, my cavalry reaches it's target.

All the rebel infantry is destroyed. Only a unit of hastati in the plaza and a unit of slingers in a street remain. The slingers are quickly routed by my skirmishers. Now I'm free to trap the last defenders.

All legionaries that still have pila left get within firing distance of the hostile hastati and throw their deadly missiles.

The hastati execute a charge upon my infantry. They are quickly surrounded and destroyed.

Victory is mine.

With Rome's good reputation restored, my attention turns towards captain Prax. Before I face him, I want to refill the ranks. A few units are send to Rome to find new recruits, others go to Taras to await the moment that captain Prax will be defeated.

Hussarknight
posted 20 October 2007 14:50 EDT (US)     10 / 21  
So how does supply work? Your relief army to Rhegion brought fresh supplies with it, how did they do that?
posted 20 October 2007 15:54 EDT (US)     11 / 21  
Generals have a supply trait, when you are in a city or pillaging the countryside, that trait is "full" but if you are besieged or cannot pillage, then the trait is reduced, which drops morale. So a good trick to keep morale up for a prolonged siege or in this case, winter quarters, is to switch a fully supplied general in for a less supplied general.

posted 20 October 2007 18:20 EDT (US)     12 / 21  
How do you pillage?

What if you do not have a general, but rather a captain-led force?

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 10-20-2007 @ 06:20 PM).]

posted 20 October 2007 22:24 EDT (US)     13 / 21  
Pillage in EB works as the normal devastation,with tiles turning black but generating supply.

About captain-led forces it's better not even try it because the troops have very low morale.

[This message has been edited by Danilh (edited 10-20-2007 @ 10:27 PM).]

posted 22 October 2007 03:09 EDT (US)     14 / 21  
Below are the Roman achievements of yesterday.

It was the spring of 267 BC when finally a Roman army marched to meet captain Prax and his followers.

Scipio deployed the army in an effective, but new way. The front line was made up out of Principes, with a unit of Hastati behind the flanks of the line. Behind that were the Acensi (slingers) and Leves (skirmishers). The slingers shifted to the right during the advance, so they could attack the enemy horsemen.

One unit of Hastati and the Equites were close by to protect them. However, it was not the cavalry, but a unit of infantry that attacked.

Just as I tried to flank them with some Principes, the rebel battle line charged. I counter-charged them. All infantry is now engaged. The legionaires are getting the upper hand.

Just after the first two units rout, Scipio charges another unit in the rear.

It is too much for the Greeklings. They rout.

Only their captain, who is a little away from the battle, still has the will to fight. I quickly attack him, so he cannot flee anymore. He doesn't take long to realize he can't win.

Roma Victor!

There is no need for retraining after the battle. Losses are small, and so Scipio sets his eyes on a new target: Syrakousai. He besieges the poleis in the autumn of the very same year. Siege equipment is completed for the assault in the winter.

To both sides of the gate a ladder and a siege tower is deployed. I will first climb the walls to the right, and then use the remaining siege equipment to flank the wall defenders, who consist only of missile troops.

Here I see a opportunity to use the siege tower missiles: I roll it up to the wall, where it can fire at the Syrakusioi Hoplitai in the streets below. When the missiles are gone, I order the Triarii to scale the walls. A little bit to the left a unit of Principes does the same.

They climb the walls. The defenders come to meet them.

I capture the walls. This gives me the advantage of firing down into the Greek cavalry that try to drive me from the gate.

An already decimated unit of local hoplites try to deny me access to the plaza. They fail.

I now use my Equites to lure the enemy general away from the last hoplites. My equites manage to kill the enemy general, but at a massive cost. Only five Equites remain. Oops. Didn't think that general would be that skilled.

The Roman infantry quickly surrounds and kills the last defenders.
Another victory for Rome.

Meanwhile, I've also build a Pentekonteroi ship, so I now can sail my troops around. A spy was send to Africa to spy on the Qarthadists.

Hussarknight
posted 22 October 2007 12:33 EDT (US)     15 / 21  
Good job taking out the rebels.

I imagine you are still allied to Carthage, yes? Well, if you attack Messana, you will trigger a script which causes Carthage to declare war. Not that you can't handle them...

posted 22 October 2007 13:18 EDT (US)     16 / 21  
Yes, I'm still allied to Carthage, but that will only last until my infantry returns from retraining Rome. The advisor has already warned several times that moving troops around Messana is a rude violation of the treaties with Carthage.

Hussarknight
posted 22 October 2007 19:21 EDT (US)     17 / 21  
posted 23 October 2007 07:21 EDT (US)     18 / 21  
The battle for Syracuse was the most fun so far. I had to fight, because I didn't want the morale penalty for being ill-supplied.

----
The start of the new year, 266 BC, came with a nice message. No other faction cam match Rome's treasury.

Now it is time to deal with the rebels that pillage the lands around region. Troops from Syracuse that are heading for Rome join the garrison of Region and the cavalry that is on it's way to Syracuse to defeat the rebels.

This isn't a conventional Roman army. Infantry is weak, but there are many horsemen and skirmishers. I start the battle by moving around the rebels. This saves me the disadvantage of attacking uphill.

The Roman general initiates the fight by charging one of the units of skirmishers. The equites joined him soon after.

The skirmishers didn't last long in hand-to-hand combat.

While the rebel skimishers were attacked, their Roman counterparts fired their missiles into the other unit of skirmishers. They caused quite a few casualties.

Now the infantry saw it's first action. They engaged the rebel captain while the Roman cavalry prepared to attack him in the side.

He quickly decided to run for his life. Not that it helped him, he was killed shortly afterwards.

The last few rebels were routed after a long pursuit across the battlefield. Another glorious victory for Rome.

----

That was what I did yesterday. Maybe I can get something more done today. I can't do much tomorrow, I'm going to visit a university to help choose me a study.

Hussarknight
posted 24 October 2007 12:35 EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Wonderful AAR so far Hussarknight

I was planning to do one on the Romani too, but you beat me to it hehe. I might do one on the Arche Seleukeia though, or maybe one about the Pahlava(Parthians).

Keep it up man I can't wait to see more.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
posted 24 October 2007 13:14 EDT (US)     20 / 21  
Epirus is fun as well. Defeat the Romans before they become strong, or conquer Greece and gain much wealth.

posted 26 October 2007 04:15 EDT (US)     21 / 21  
I was planning to do one on the Romani too, but you beat me to it hehe. I might do one on the Arche Seleukeia though, or maybe one about the Pahlava(Parthians).
I'd love to see another EB AAR. Please make one!

Update

Gentle seasons followed the capture of Syrakousai. A few units were retrained and then send back to Sicily with a few greenhorns. Another army prepared itself in Rome. Than it would be bale to quickly strike at Corsica and Sardinia if the Qarthadists broke their alliance with Rome.

My first two naval battles in EB.

A typical example of autoresolving battles: I won the first battle (1:1), but lost the second (2:1).

In the winter of 265 BC, the Roman legion in Sicily was fully assembled.

It marched towards Messana and besieged it, despite treaties with the Carthaginians. CaesarVincens warned me that they would break their alliance with me now... but they didn't. Maybe they are afraid of the legions of Rome? Who knows.

The Carthaginians did break their alliance with me a turn later. I was well-prepared. Forces from Rome borded ships and sailed to Corsica.
The town was ill-defended. No walls, only a few armed citizens and some skirmishers. Here infantry has engaged the enemy captain. General's guard is about to charge.

Here he charges the skirmishers, who had been drawn away from the plaza by Balearic Slingers I hired shortly before the battle.

The last few defenders were lured from their small plaza and quickly routed. Yet another town that will know Roman rule and order.

More is to follow. Much more. I have to capture almost all of the Mediterranean, plus raid a couple of provinces.

Hussarknight
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Europa Barbarorum AAR - Romani
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames