Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Sons of Vahagan: An Empire's Rebirth
posted 29 July 2009 02:13 EDT (US)   
This is a story inspired by an Armenian campaign I did, when I had brutally fought the Romans for control of the west. Read, critique, and above all enjoy!

Prologue: The Fall of Our Empire

The world would have been ours. Who could have stood against us, the chosen sons of Vahagan and Armazd, the mailed soldiers of the heavens, the bearers of the sacred flame? Not the savants of Arasces, or the craven plainsmen, the Scythians. Not the ruined empire of Seleukos, or the womanly Greeks, or the treacherous sons of Mithridates who ruled the Pontus. Even the men of Aegyptus, who we fought against for twenty hard years, lay at our feet, their chariots scattered into the desert. From Memphis, to Makedon, from Elam to Hyperborea did our empire stretch; none would stand against us, and the thunder of our mighty Kataphraktoi echoed from east to west.

Then came our undoing. From the darkness of the west there came an army, their ranks like iron and their swords shining like stars. Their leader, Brutus, came forth to speak with us, and we treated him with honor, for his people had conquered as much of the west as we had of the east. But his words were not of peace and friendship. In a fiery voice he demanded that we leave not just Hellas, which his masters greatly desired, but the Pontus and Aegyptus as well, lands that he looked upon with hunger.
Furious at the fool’s arrogance, our king had him turned away, to tell his craven masters that if even one of his people set foot on our lands, our warriors would swarm across the sea and storm his lands. As Brutus was hurled from our doors, his guards crucified behind him, he swore revenge. We laughed at him and mocked his words, but we did not know that this man, this arrogant Roman, would be the downfall of our empire.

And then, hardly a year later, Brutus returned. But he was not alone. At his back marched thousands upon thousands of his iron soldiers, men with hearts of steel and the strength of lions. Like a riptide they smashed into Hellas, scattering our stunned armies and sending them to flight. The barbarian Celtae and Getai, who had long made war upon our borders, joined with them and came upon us as well, joyfully sacking the cities we had denied them for so long. And yet worst of all was the betrayal of the cursed Parthian-bred satrap, Jahangir, who stabbed our brave soldiers in the back as they stood against Brutus at Athens. The traitor led the Romans in through a side gate, and so were our phalangitai and Kataphraktoi treacherously slaughtered. Hellas was lost to us in a month-long orgy of blood and betrayal, and yet still that was not all. Even as our enraged emperor, Aramu, led his armies and fleets into the Peloponnese to reclaim what the mongrel Romans had taken from us, our foes to the east, who we had subdued for almost a hundred years, came for us with fire and sword the lust for land.

The Sakae and Sauromatae, the barbarian horsemen of the plains rode through our lands in Scythia, ravaging our legions with their cowardly archers. Five times did our Kataphraktoi meet them upon the steppe and five times were they destroyed, for the plainsmen could turn on their horses and shoot us down even as we chased them. Far to the south, the black men of Kush stormed up the Nile and smashed into our territories in Aegyptus, our desperate phalangitai picked apart and slain by their terrifying elephants. And finally, in the very center of the empire, the wicked Greek turncoat Lysimachus rose up and led his “Sons of Alexandros” into Antioch, the richest city in all our lands. Vahagan and Armazd had surely turned their eyes from us, for our empire was being torn asunder, and all we could do was retreat.

It was seven years later, when Aegyptus had become a Kushite prize and Lysimachus had taken not just Antioch, but Hatra and Jerusalem as well, that the death knell was sounded for our empire. In Thracia our king Aramu made a last stand at Byzantium, two legions of Rome and an army of barbarian Getai at his gates. At the temple of the Greek god Ares he met the Roman, Brutus, sword-to-sword; in a duel that both armies paused to watch, Aramu stumbled and was pierced through the heart by the Roman’s gladius. Disheartened by the king’s death, our armies were cornered against the gates of the inner keep and slaughtered mercilessly.

After that, all we could do was retreat to the heartland. Anatolia and Pontos we gave up, along with Babylonia and Elam. We fled into the deepest strongholds of our home, into the cities of Kotais and Tigranocerta, into Phraaspa and Atraxerxia and Arsakia and into the countrysides that surrounded them. While the Romans glutted themselves in the west, and Lysimachus gleefully took over what we had left behind, our lands became a fortress.

Fifty years have passed since then. All Hellas and Anatolia is Roman, and Lysimachus, now an old man, pushes into the east, locked in war with the Baktrians and Soghidians. The Sakae and Sauromatae have spread all across the plains to the north; sometimes they make raids over the Black Sea, to pillage Roman Pontos. Far to the south, the men of Kush have taken Judea and Phoenicia from Lysimachus, preying upon his lands while he fights to the east.

War swirls around us in every direction, and our old enemies have all but forgotten us. But have not, and will not forget them. Let our Kataphraktoi don their helms and their mail; let our phalangitai strap on the sword and the spear. Let the horns of battle blow across the winds of the east, and let the cry of Vahagan’s name strike fear into the heart of our foes. For soon, we will rise up once more. We will rise up, and take back what is rightfully ours.

The world could have been ours. And perhaps, it still can be.

Perhaps.
Replies:
posted 29 July 2009 07:54 EDT (US)     1 / 9  
Awsome this is so good I will follow it. Was this a campain you did or just a story based on a different campain.
posted 29 July 2009 14:46 EDT (US)     2 / 9  
I got the idea from an Armenian campaign I did, but the story itself isn't based on what I did in that campaign.

Follow the men of Armenia as they fight Romans, Greeks, and Nubians to restore their lost empire in Sons of Vahagan: An Empire's Rebirth
posted 29 July 2009 15:16 EDT (US)     3 / 9  
Nice But your signature looks really similare to mine did you copy it?
posted 29 July 2009 21:00 EDT (US)     4 / 9  
Wow dude, you're right, they are pretty similar. I should change it, I guess...

Follow the men of Armenia as they fight Romans, Greeks, and Nubians to restore their lost empire in Sons of Vahagan: An Empire's Rebirth
posted 30 July 2009 08:14 EDT (US)     5 / 9  
No you don't have to I think it's kinda funny.
posted 30 July 2009 08:47 EDT (US)     6 / 9  
Nice intro- lots of background.

I'm curious to see how this will develop.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 30 July 2009 09:27 EDT (US)     7 / 9  
A bit boring without screenies.But interesting.

Muammar Al Gaddafi
" I cannot recognise either the Palestinian state or the Israeli state. The Palestinians are idiots and the Israelis are idiots. "
posted 30 July 2009 20:50 EDT (US)     8 / 9  
Okay, here's the next update:

The Dogs of War

Malchior the bandit lay in the gully, a spear clutched in his hands and a deathly gleam in his eyes. He could hear the tramp of armored feet on the dusty, rutted road, and knew that to order his men to attack could be a gory mistake. But he knew that this was his territory, his hunting ground, and that men such as this had no place in it.

A forest of enormously tall spears rose up from the ground, and Malchior’s apprehension left him. Good. They were only Greeks, not Romans. Teaching them to stay out of his hills would be an easier task.

From the craggy sides of the road he could see his men lying in wait, their faces hungry with anticipation. He grinned to himself. He and his gang had terrorized the hills of Kotais for seven years, and they weren’t going to stop now.

Ahead, the thunder of boots decreased and stopped. A harsh command in gutter Greek was roared out, and the soldiers, who could only be the conscripted hoplites of Antioch and Hatra, began to shuffle nervously amongst themselves, their long sarissae waving like the tides of the sea. Cries of fear rang out, and Malchior could hear the hiss of arrows being fired. He snarled a curse; if his brothers had attacked before he had given the signal, they would all be dead, either by the pikes of the Greeks or Malchior’s own wrath.

Still, the Greeks were lowering their sarissa all along the sides of their line, and if Malchior did not move now then he and his men would be facing the unbreakable wall of a phalanx. “Nothing for it,” he growled to himself, and with a wild yell he launched himself from the ditch, his spear raised high.

The Greeks cried out in horror as a wave of the screaming brigands burst from the sides of the road, spears and axes and bows in their hands. Stunned, their sarissae useless at such a range, they were forced to drop their weapons and pull their daggers from their loincloths. The bandits smashed into them in a ragged bolt of men and steel, and the terrified Greeks began to run helter-skelter, arrows and blades aplenty burying themselves in their fleeing backs.

Malchior laughed madly as he hurled his spear into one’s chest, ripping his sword from its sheath and racing into the fray. A conscript fell to his slashing blade with a scream, a horrible tear cutting down his back. He planted his foot on the Greek’s ruined body and yelled his victory, thrusting his sword high above his head. “Run, dogs!” he laughed. “Run!”

His men roared in joy as they saw their prey fleeing like deer. “Malchior!” they roared. “Chase these boylovers! Hang them from the trees, so that none of their filthy kind ever
sets foot in our hills again!”

“ We shall, by Vahagan!” he bellowed. “Forth, and cut them to pieces!”

The bandits surged forward once more, but Malchior saw a gleam of steel ahead and his eyes widened in terror. He dove out of the way as arrows scythed toward his neck, throwing himself flat on the road. His men, however, were drunk on their success, and the volley hissed into them, piercing necks and hearts. Soon their chase became a rout and his men began to dive into the ditches and gullies at the sides of the road, scattering for cover. Spitting at his idiocy, Malchior followed their lead, crawling into a dirty rut behind a tree and praying that the gods would at least grant him his life. Syrians, he snarled to himself. Syrians or Kretans. It seemed the Greeks were not above using the pagan filth who lived amongst them.

And then came a noise like thunder; Malchior looked to its source wildly, and what he saw nearly made his heart stop.

Like a bolt of silver a column of Kataphraktoi were pounding down the lane, their armor gleaming like the sun and their lances lowered. With roars of joy they crashed into the bowmen, and cut them down like corn. Then they pressed on, slaughtering who ever lay behind; perhaps there were more of the hoplites, or more of the archers. All Malchior knew was that they were slaughtered, and their bones pounded to dust under the iron hooves of the knights.

One of their number rode back up, his helm lifted and his face cold. “Bandits!” he bellowed. “Come out of your hiding-holes. I would have words with you.”

Cautiously, Malchior emerged from the pit, dropping to his knees. “I prostrate myself before you, noble lord,” he
said, shakily. “ You have given us our lives.”

The knight sneered. “Indeed I have, scum. Once I would have had you hung, but you broke the Greeks for us, and for that I shall let you live. But you will come with me to Tigranocerta. The king will speak with you.”

“What?” Malchior exclaimed. Then he remembered that the Kataphraktoi had just saved him and all of his men from death at the hands of wicked Greeks, and also that this man could have him slain sooner than blinking. But...Tigranocerta? The king?

The Kataphraktoi’s face hardened, and his voice became harsh and cold again. “ Aye, filth, the king will sully himself with your presence. But our land is changing, and we will need every leader of men that we can find.”

Malchior’s heart skipped a beat. “Even a bandit?”

“Even a bandit,” The lord said, spitting the words. “You would be dead now, filth, at the hands of a dirty yauna. Remember your place. When the king calls, you will damned well obey, for now…now our fates are changing, and our standing in this world will rise. For soon all will submit to us—Roman, yauna, Kushite dung or Saka savage. They will bow their knees, as will you, for the world will no longer belong to them. It will belong to us, to Tigranocerta, to Vahagan himself, and they will never cast us down again.”

BTW Yauna means Greek in old Persian.

[This message has been edited by Kharapkhael (edited 07-31-2009 @ 04:18 AM).]

posted 31 July 2009 08:16 EDT (US)     9 / 9  
Bravo barvo I loved the update it was alittle hard to follow the charatters though.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » The Sons of Vahagan: An Empire's Rebirth
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames