Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: RTW Vanilla Pontus AAR
posted 31 August 2009 13:32 EDT (US)   
So, a new AAR! I choose Pontus simply because I think that they're the "Forgotten Faction", I never see them anywhere on this forum.

Anyway, on to the important stuff, my computer did not seem to be able to take a picture of the campaign menu, (its special that way) so here, instead are my starting territories

I'm doing a short campaign, capture 15 provinces and destroy or outlast Thrace and Armenia.

Unit Scale is Large and all factors are on(ammo, fatigue, and morale)

Campaign DIfficulty: VH
Battle Difficulty: H

Hope you guys enjoy my first AAR

FIRST UPDATE-------------------------------------------------

O.k. My starting position, on the norther coast of Asia Minor, I control two cities, Sinope, my captial and Mazaka

One of my armies marches westward in the hopes of capturing a rebel city, while the other, led by my faction heir hits the boats

My spy, who has a hilarious lisp, discovers a rebel city, Ancyra, ripe for taking

A new general, he's got a nice beard, so why not

My diplomat finds the pony men of Armenia and kindly asks for an alliance and trade rights.

The pony men deny my offer

My captain launches his attack against the wall-less city, those naked fanatics make me worry, early in the game they can tear apart my shameful eastern infantry.

I deploy my forces, mostly missle troops so i need to hit these guys from far away

At least there wearing pants.... freaks

One of the shirtless freaks charges my cavalry, poor thing isolated from the rest of the army

They rout easily

O.k, this was very embarrassing but basically there barbarian cavalry charged right into my archers and two peltasts and my units ROUTED! and from there on I was left with a few units here and there and well, the naked fanatics ripped apart my cavalry and eastern infantry. A shining display of early Pontic Military Strength

On a brighter note, Pharnaces has besieged Chersonesos. (Note to RTW creators, make names easier on the ears)

More surprises from the diplomatic world

A quick auto-manage battle wins our great faction another region!

A nice little retinue addition for Phar... whatever his name is

My treasury is not exactly the envy of the world

The selucids offer me trade rights, fine by me but I dont want an alliance

Oh Joy! The pony men have reared their ugly heads and deemed it necessary to send one of their armies down near my capital city. Luckily I have a group of troops nearby(not quite an army).

Phar-man lands on the shores of Thrace! D-Day 267 BC Stlye!

Good distract the thracian armies while I stealth bomb their cities

The girly men who wear orange have asked permission to trade with my empire

I ask for alliance since I'm trying to get rid of thrace and a two way war was not on my itinerary

Like I said girly men...

The Pontic army of Thrace besieges the lightly defended Campus Gatae

Ummm, yeah how long is that army going to sit there, I try to lure them out by moving my cluster of troops away

I was expecting that.... the town is very lightly defended, the orange girly men may actually take MY.... excuse me.... A city

Shouldn't be two hard, plus they wear baby blue!

Straight forward siege, my eastern infantry man the ram

Oh boy, militia cav i'm scared now

a little warcry warm up

Storm the gate

Kill the jav-cav

I split my army into two, my pontic cavalry pepers the enemy while my main army advances down the street on the other side of thracian militia cavalry

The thracian general's bodyguard charges into my main infantry body.. but their general becomes isolated

And boom goes the dynamite, the enemy general is dead

After that its just a matter of cleaning up the mess

Yup CLEAR victory, scratch one thracian city

I enslave the populace to give my original cities a much needed boost, and surprise surprise Sinope grows a tier.

The thracians ask for a ceasefire, I ask them for 3,000 Denarii first and they foolishly accept

I also ally with Egypt

look who decided to get off the couch and move

Gold mine! Especially early in the game

The pony men dispatch their army and siege my noble Mazaka

Airicci2... Rome Total War Fanatic

Pontus AAR

[This message has been edited by Airicci2 (edited 08-31-2009 @ 03:36 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01 September 2009 04:09 EDT (US)     1 / 4  
This looks good, Airicci! I'll try hard to follow it. Good luck!

posted 01 September 2009 12:28 EDT (US)     2 / 4  
Thanks Edorix, good luck with yours

Another Small update this morning:

FInally Scythia assaults Chersonesos, but I managed to bring in reinforcements just in time. Notice how the AI control box is not checked....

The Scythian army consists of one archer warband and 4 units of horse archers, without my reinforcements i am a dead man

WHY!!! Why does this always happen, I make sure that I don't not check the box marked "have the ai control this army", and guess what; the AI somehow gets control of my army. Now I'm nervous, I have to rely on the unreliable AI to save my but or else I loose the city and a general.

My mercenary horse archers manage to take down a few archers, but not nearly enough

The situation is growing even more desperate, the Scythian's have entered the city en masse, meanwhile the ai is being the ai and just calmly walking my cavalry around the edge of the city.

Oh look they started to run now

The battle in the city plaza, my peasants are getting annihilated, just hoping they can hold out long enough.....

It took them long enough, but the AI manages to bring in my cavalry, lucky... I had one lowly peasant left.

The first of the Scythians begin to run, their morale is terrible.

The rout is on! Once my reinforcements arrived it really was no contest.

Would have been a clear victory if the AI got its head out of its... well you know

Meanwhile, back in the homeland, Rhadamsades of Prusias (try saying that one 10 times fast) attacks the pony men army led by their faction heir.

This battle is going to chaotic, they have horse archers and I have peltasts, we both have very little in the way of actual infantry. My reinforcements, made up of a generals bodyguard and peasants are coming up directly behind the pony men army.

Hmm.. automatic skirmishing always leads to something like this, the unit never runs in the right direction, bye pontic bye light cavalry.....

Scratch one peltast, an isolated unit is never a good thing.

Finally after what seems like days of fruitless skirmishing we enter into a decisive part of the battle as my two generals bodyguards surround the pony men faction heir.

Soon their was only one....

The Armenian General exists stage left......

Although their heir is dead, the pony men fight on viciously

There is really no order anymore, units are spread out everywhere and the dead are scattered across the field, the battle is turning in my favor but I am still having a hard time taking out those last horse archers; peltasts aren't really good at doing that.

Only shaken HA left and they know that they've lost

Back on the campaign map, it seems Dacia and Scythia have allied, that can never be good seeing as I border both of them.

Sorry about some of the pics, imageshack doesn't seem to want to load them but if I can view them i'll edit this post.

Anyway, heres my opinion of the campaign at this point:

Thrace: The Thracians shouldn't be that hard to destroy considering that they only have one city left and i'm building a chariot army in Campus Gatae.

Asia Minor: The situation here is increasingly tough, Armenia increased military activity will most likely lead to numerous attacks, but no surprise there considering that I'm playing the game on VH. However since Armenia has Horse Archers, and I, unfortunately lack them, winning battles is going to be more challenging that I originally thought. Until I advance past peltasts and eastern infantry.

Scythia: I hope they stop attack Chersonesos, because its annoying. Otherwise, no threats here.

Pontus AAR
posted 04 September 2009 14:01 EDT (US)     3 / 4  
Don;t worry about HA factions; your chariots will tear them apart. I know from experience with Britannia. You will take heavy casualties, but your Scythed Chariots are pretty easy to retrain. And 4HP!

Good work, Airicci2. (Are you Italian? If so I can call you Signor Airicci which sounds better )

posted 04 September 2009 23:14 EDT (US)     4 / 4  
OK really BAD!!!!! NEWS, sorry for caps.... but this is bad.

So I just moved into my new house, had all the boxes packed etc. I double checked to see if RTW was there, and somehow!! when I unpacked the computer boxes a day later, the game disappeared. Funny how moving can do that, so until I find the game, the AAR will have to be cancelled. But to tell the truth, I've locked for over 4 hours today (not straight) and I'm tempted to just buy another game for $20. Anyway sorry about that hopefully I'll get back to playing soon.

Yes edorix I'm italian (american) so that nickname will work

Pontus AAR
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » RTW Vanilla Pontus AAR
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames