You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Sepia Joust VII- Historical Fiction 31 August 2013 Discussion thread
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 10 March 2013 07:01 EDT (US)   
The groundskeeper had little to do after Sepia Joust VI- no broken quills or spilled ink to clean up. He merely had to rake the lists clean after the footprints of the victor.

Now the winter is on its way out, the crocuses are blooming, and the time has come to sharpen our quills for the next round. As always, we vote on a new genre, hear the bragging of those who dare not enter, listen to the mighty crawing of others, then by the Kalends of October submit our pieces for the Voting Scroll.

The genres are:

Poetry (rhyming)
Historic fiction
Fantasy
Poetry (prose)
Science Fiction (Sepia Joust IV)
Comedy/Parody (Sepia Joust V)
Criminal (in old days) (Sepia Joust VI)
Romantic / Romantic Adventure
Documentary
Advisory
Horror (Sepia Joust III)
Thriller
Brief History (Sepia Joust I)
Diary / Journal (Sepia Joust II)

Place your votes. The sooner we decide on a genre, the more time we will have to prepare a fitting piece.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 09-11-2013 @ 09:22 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10 March 2013 07:15 EDT (US)     1 / 44  
Historic Fiction!!

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
posted 10 March 2013 11:44 EDT (US)     2 / 44  
I second the historic fiction. This time I'll participate with a fitting piece...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
posted 17 March 2013 14:07 EDT (US)     3 / 44  
Sorry for double-posting, but I need to know when the voting stops, as I need to research for my story, write it on paper and type it in the computer...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
posted 17 March 2013 14:55 EDT (US)     4 / 44  
Voting will probably go through April, then be locked in.

Gather ideas in the meantime.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 03-19-2013 @ 02:56 AM).]

posted 18 March 2013 14:14 EDT (US)     5 / 44  
I shall also cast my vote for Historical Fiction. I don't think I've taken part in a Joust since the original one a couple years ago. Should be fun

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
posted 25 March 2013 17:21 EDT (US)     6 / 44  
There's a lot of interest I see...

posted 25 March 2013 20:12 EDT (US)     7 / 44  
I would think about writing an entry, save for the fact that I'm busy writing my third book. Perhaps next year, if we do fantasy, I'll enter a submission.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
posted 08 April 2013 15:56 EDT (US)     8 / 44  
historic fiction. The last time I was here was probably 10 months ago so I figure this will probably be a good way to come back in.
posted 09 April 2013 00:50 EDT (US)     9 / 44  
We seem to have a concensus.

Historic Fiction it is.

Submissions open end of August, giving everyone plenty of time to become inspired and write up a piece.

By the way, welcome back, Songs!

I shall bump this occasionally to remind people, but now we have a decision and a deadline.

posted 03 May 2013 05:03 EDT (US)     10 / 44  
I will endeavour to put forward an entry, but my recent track record has been poor. Fingers crossed!

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 03 August 2013 16:39 EDT (US)     11 / 44  
Just wanted to remind anyone interested in participating that we have 28 days left before submissions are close

I'm putting the finishing touches on my entry, but I want to wish the best of luck to everyone participating! Can't wait to read everyone's submissions!

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
posted 12 August 2013 04:36 EDT (US)     12 / 44  
*bump*

Less than three weeks until Submissions open.

posted 22 August 2013 05:22 EDT (US)     13 / 44  
Mine is coming along quite nicely, it's short, but after struggling to pin down an idea I think I've nailed a good one.

How is everyone else's entries faring?

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 22 August 2013 13:14 EDT (US)     14 / 44  
Mine takes a two-line entry of history and makes a wonderful fifteen-page tale of endurance and courage out of it.

posted 23 August 2013 01:04 EDT (US)     15 / 44  
Mine is currently 20 page long and I hope I'll manage to finish it by next Friday, before school starts...

posted 23 August 2013 06:15 EDT (US)     16 / 44  
Doing a bit of rewriting on my piece to help it sound and flow a little better. The subject itself is a bit out of my comfort zone as it's centered around a people that don't receive a lot of attention in most of the stories posted here in the Bardic Circle, but I'm hoping this will inspire readers to study them a bit more by the time they reach the end.

posted 23 August 2013 14:42 EDT (US)     17 / 44  
Glad to see more than just Terikel submitting something

Regrettably, I'm working furiously on a book- my muse won't let me stop- and won't be submitting a piece; perhaps for the next one.

Edit: I wrote a historical fiction piece for English class a while back; if I can find it and it's at all good, I'll submit it.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

[This message has been edited by General Sajaru (edited 08-23-2013 @ 02:44 PM).]

posted 25 August 2013 17:52 EDT (US)     18 / 44  
You are working on a book? That's fantastic...

posted 01 September 2013 11:55 EDT (US)     19 / 44  
So, when will the submissions thread open?

posted 01 September 2013 13:15 EDT (US)     20 / 44  
Tonight.

posted 09 September 2013 02:21 EDT (US)     21 / 44  
Mine is up.

posted 09 September 2013 13:23 EDT (US)     22 / 44  
Very fine writing.

Mine is up as well. It's a story I did for English class nearly 7 years ago, so go easy on me . I like to think it's not much like my current writing, some of which I may be posting in the near future (when I get the time to format it properly).

posted 10 September 2013 01:51 EDT (US)     23 / 44  
A very interesting tale, General! I thoroughly enjoyed that.

posted 10 September 2013 16:06 EDT (US)     24 / 44  
Nice work Terikel and GS, I hope I will have posted my story by Saturday...

posted 11 September 2013 14:53 EDT (US)     25 / 44  
But alas, if wishes were raindrops his men would be drowning.
Alliteration worthy of the Icelandic skalds - but with that practical and decidedly Terikel touch. I thoroughly enjoyed your tale.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Sepia Joust VII- Historical Fiction 31 August 2013 Discussion thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames