Please login or register

Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Warfighter's Maxims - A Unique Strategy Guide
posted 16 July 2008 16:41 EDT (US)   
With a few traditional proverbs interpreted and related to Medieval 2 Total War, but also applicable for Rome, then described as you can use them in the game, I have greatly enhanced my playing skills and style. I think this selection of carefully-chosen proverbs and the advice within them and their descriptions can do the same for you. Read on and see. Trust me, you won't regret it. Even if the proverbs are Gaelic

INTRODUCTION:
So you know about many things to do with war and strategy and politics, in the world, and on the battlefield where the world’s future is decided. As the leader of a great nation and thus great armies, decisions are yours to make, emperors yours to break, and a world awaits for your hungry throne to carve in two. You know many keys to many doors in this world which will, together, unlock the door to your objective of conquest and unrivalled power, and military might unprecedented. But what about the shorter route to such things? Why go across the hills when you could follow the path of the river at it winds through? How do you sum up everything about war, peace, diplomacy, command, and power? What is the essence of it all? Can it be put into a few phrases which are the most important key of all? The answer is yes. Here I will attempt to do so, with the help of a few traditional proverbs which indeed help with the art of war and all its outcomes.

The Value of the Well is Not Known Until It Goes Dry:

The meaning here should be obvious. You don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone. And when it is gone it is only going to be at your own cost, and your enemy’s pleasure. In war, you need to take full advantage of every scrap of land you own, and exhaust everything if necessary. As much as you do not underestimate your enemies, do not underestimate yourself, your armies, or your empire. Or gone they will be, and the well’s value will then be known, but sorely missed.

Two Never Kindled a Fire But Lit it Between Them:

Again, the meaning is obvious, but rarely taken into account. You will probably use allies and defend them as well, but do you ask them to help? Do you truly call upon them decisively when you need it most? Would you return the favour? You will reap no rewards without watering the land that grows them, so if you don’t repay favours and serve your allies as they serve you when you request, you will get nothing besides a closed fist and bitter words.

No Door Ever Closed But Another Opened:

Opportunities are fleeting things. They come, they go, some without realising, some taken by others, and others taken by you. But there is always one to be found. An opportunity collapses, and a new one is born out of it, whether through a power vacuum, a chance your enemies didn’t take, and a chance you took which may just be beginning to bear fruit.

Hold Back Your Dog Till the Deer Falls:

Destroy with what you need to destroy with. Do not overwhelm your opponents, use strategy to bring them down. Numbers are not necessary. Only when your opponent falls do you bring all your weight to bear upon them. Only then is victory assured.

No Man Ever Broke His Bow But Another Man Found a Use for the String:

Extermination yields peace. Occupation yields wealth. Wealth yields peace, and peace yields wealth. Everything has a use. Balance uses with each other and you balance the world on your shoulders with ease.

Nothing Can Get Into a Closed Fist:

Make peace with your enemies defeated or victorious in war. If you remain with your sword drawn, nothing can come of it but bloodshed. If you sheath your blade, even for a second, then you widen your options and can easily gain the advantage or the energy to return to war if you so choose.

The Little Fire that Warms is Better than the Big Fire that Burns:

Sometimes you can go ahead with a large army, and be defeated. Your campaign is over, you are forced back. But if you set alight to a smaller area, but in many places, you do equal damage, divide your enemy, confuse your enemy, and can then gain the upper hand with minimal effort.

A Little Hole Will Sink a Big Ship:

With minimal effort but maximum planning, you can take down an enemy who has it all, and bring their empire crashing down around them with a single decisive strike.

Dig Your Bait While the Tide is Out:

Set your traps and draw up your plans well before it will be necessary to put them to use. Plan your moves. Leave nothing to chance. And when the tide comes in, you will be ready to face it down.

Better a Good Retreat than a Bad Stand:

Do not fight on where victory is impossible. Fall back, and make peace, instead of fighting to the last man where you will gain nothing.

CONCLUSION:
These are the points I have narrowed my playing style down to, and it has worked wonders. You can make perfect sense of out riddles and proverbs with a little interpretation, and then they become your strongest ally. I hope this has been useful. It is no invincibility, but it is a lot closer than working out your own plans is. This guide may have seemed short, but it really is all you need to know whether you are a beginner or veteran or the best the world has ever seen.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Replies:
posted 16 July 2008 17:18 EDT (US)     1 / 21  
Cool guide! This is pretty useful - I liked the proverb "Nothing can get into a closed fist".

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
posted 16 July 2008 18:12 EDT (US)     2 / 21  
Trust is nice, but control is better.
Auto-management anyone?

What would Machiavelli do?
Being a paranoid freak with an agressive expansion policy is always fun. The campaign AI is completely schizophrenic, and so am I. I mean look at my so called Allies, moving armies around in their own territory. they are plotting something, I know it. There they are, peacefully trading while I continue my bloody wars of conquest against France-Spain-Portugal-Milan-Venice-England-Sicily-The Moors-Poland-Hungary (yes, all at once). Its only a matter of time untill they betray me. Best to take them out now. Its all part of the plan.

Now back to sitting in a corner and talking to myself.

It is not enough that I succeed, but my enemies must fail.

I came, I saw, and was crushed.

Mongols? Time for a strategic retreat to the Atlantic.
posted 17 July 2008 00:40 EDT (US)     3 / 21  
The only downside with using sensible thoughts in your campaign strategy is that most AIs out there won't always act realisticly, making them either harder to predict or just random. For example, treating an ally well supporting them and having great relations (while keeping your border reasonably guarded) won't help if the campaign AI sees an undefended port and blockades it for a single turn, destroying the alliance for no reason.

I was thinking of suggesting that the standard last rule of good grammar (ignore all of the other rules if it'd produce a horrid result) - but reflecting on it that'd probably just result in a short term gain with possible long term downsides.

Oh and what was the obvious meaning of the kindling one? I think i missed it
posted 17 July 2008 01:04 EDT (US)     4 / 21  
well i knew how to hold an alliance back in the old RTW days, u tribute your ally a few gold every turn, i know this works because in my macedonian campaign dacia was my ally for ever,
posted 17 July 2008 11:24 EDT (US)     5 / 21  
And in M2TW the AI is a lot better and reacts more realistically. Of course, randomness may ruin this, but this is a pretty sure step on the road to becoming a strategic legend.

And if you liked that proverb, Mythic:

Gaelic: Is luath fear doimeig air fàire, latha fuar Earraich.

English: Swift is the sl*t’s husband over the hill, on a bleak day in Spring.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b

[This message has been edited by Gallowglass (edited 07-17-2008 @ 11:25 AM).]

posted 18 July 2008 11:49 EDT (US)     6 / 21  
Nice set of proverbs GG.

I always enjoyed reading those quotes and proverbs during the game's loading screens. Inspired me to go and read some of Niccolo Machiavelli's works.
No Door Ever Closed But Another Opened
This one is perhaps my favourite of the lot.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 18 July 2008 12:05 EDT (US)     7 / 21  
My own favourite from that selection of there is cha robh dithis riamh a’ fadadh teine nach do las eatarra.

Two never kindled a fire but lit it between them

But of the hundreds of others, my favourite is Is mios' an t-eagal na 'n cogadh, or Fear is Worse than Fighting.

I might add a few more to this guide sometime.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b

[This message has been edited by Gallowglass (edited 07-18-2008 @ 12:06 PM).]

posted 05 August 2008 10:41 EDT (US)     8 / 21  
Maybe we should start a "Make your own Art of War/The Prince" thread

"The satisfaction in this game lies in to see 300 heavy armoured horsemen ride chock in an easy snowfall, while fire arrows criss-crosses the evening sky" - Swedish historian and permanent secretary of The Swedish Academy Peter Englund on Medieval 2: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

"A game that contains both Carl Linnaeus and five different types of artillery projectiles are indisputable exceedingly detailed." - Peter Englund on Empire: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)
posted 26 August 2008 11:07 EDT (US)     9 / 21  

The disguise that this wasn't based on the art of war was a thin one, wasn't it?

Has anyone actually applied these in their game yet? It'd be interesting to find out how they'd work for other people.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
posted 27 August 2008 03:08 EDT (US)     10 / 21  
a good number of them are fairly broad planning matters, so to some extent yes. I've definitely broken the last one a couple of times - getting a small band of brave chaps utterly slaughtered rather than seeking to have them run off (ok, I try retreating once if possible sometimes, but then don't try and get them routed near a border as I see that to be cheating). Having 300 men go into a battle with no hope and just trying to do as much damage as possible can be quite satisfying (probably only because they aren't really people...)
posted 27 August 2008 05:21 EDT (US)     11 / 21  

I suppose I do that, with a single good example - a futile charge of a worn-down army into three well-armed Spanish full-stacks (I hope to make a single-battle AAR of that one soon).

Another one I break is the hold back your dog until the deer falls one. I send in the dogs first. Namely three or so full-stacks.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
posted 05 September 2008 01:27 EDT (US)     12 / 21  
even they are out number mine 10 to 1 i still fight to the death

not again...
posted 06 September 2008 20:18 EDT (US)     13 / 21  
Nothing satisfies people's unease better than a quote from a dead general.

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
posted 07 September 2008 02:58 EDT (US)     14 / 21  
I mean 10-1 they got 1000peasant and u got 100 templar knight?

not again...
posted 07 September 2008 05:31 EDT (US)     15 / 21  
The Templar knights would still probably lose.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
posted 07 September 2008 09:02 EDT (US)     16 / 21  
Do they get a thin mountain pass or a wide-open plain?

No, I'm not being sarcastic.
posted 14 September 2008 06:21 EDT (US)     17 / 21  
If the knights are on a plain, they'd win. A small mountain pass they'd need to charge repeatedly and rout the peasants one by one.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
posted 14 September 2008 09:12 EDT (US)     18 / 21  
I haven't forgotten this btw but I'm trying to get two modding articles and Lasha's guide to England's opening moves up first.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 14 September 2008 09:45 EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Okay. Modding articles must be an arse to code.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
posted 14 September 2008 13:40 EDT (US)     20 / 21  
What would Machiavelli do?
Being a paranoid freak with an agressive expansion policy is always fun. The campaign AI is completely schizophrenic, and so am I. I mean look at my so called Allies, moving armies around in their own territory. they are plotting something, I know it. There they are, peacefully trading while I continue my bloody wars of conquest against France-Spain-Portugal-Milan-Venice-England-Sicily-The Moors-Poland-Hungary (yes, all at once). Its only a matter of time untill they betray me. Best to take them out now. Its all part of the plan.

Now back to sitting in a corner and talking to myself.
machiavelli wasnt crazy or tyrranical. he wrote what would have worked not what he would personally do (theres a diff)

dont insult my hero again
posted 15 October 2008 15:26 EDT (US)     21 / 21  
He would have done it but no, he was not crazy by any means. He was brilliant.

Vini, Vidi, Vici-Julias Caesar

Slavery is Freedom
War is Peace
Ignorance is Strength
Quantity and Quality are the same.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion » The Warfighter's Maxims - A Unique Strategy Guide
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames