Please login or register

Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Any games available to join? + questions
posted 03 July 2009 18:41 EDT (US)   
Well, first off, I've been reading through the various topics here and I am thrilled. There's some exciting possibilities especially on the diplomatic front in these hotseat games. I would love to join in on one.

So, rather than finding the individual topics (because it seems hard to tell which ones are active and which are not), I hereby declare myself available to preferably join a totally new hotseat, but otherwise sub where needed in an existing one. Just let me know.

I also have a few questions about this hotseat business:

What happens if you have modified descr_stat or other files? Will I need to restore them to the original versions before playing a save?

Also, the trend seems to be for all battles to auto resolve. Isn't it more fun to keep offensive battles against the AI to be played manually?

Cheers
Replies:
posted 03 July 2009 19:09 EDT (US)     1 / 16  
For the auto-resolve question: Yes but battles take time.

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
posted 03 July 2009 20:19 EDT (US)     2 / 16  
Cripcrab. I have been wondering the same thing myself. If you cant find one you could always make one yourself granted you and possible other players have the same patch or mod. Also, Auto Resolve makes it fairer and quicker. You dont want human players getting killed too early on. Takes the fun out of it a bit.
posted 04 July 2009 06:53 EDT (US)     3 / 16  
I'm just thinking that auto-resolve kind of makes it a 'who can recruit and support the most units' thing. Since you email the files around, playing battles manually shouldn't make it that much slower right? But, it's true, it does put the focus a bit more on the campaign aspect of the game. I'm good either way!

If you're looking to get into a new hotseat, put your hand up here. If there's a bunch of people it could be worthwhile to start one up.

I'm thinking Vanilla but Stainless Steel 6.1 could be cool.

Also, any info on my question regarding descr_strat or preference.cfg modifications?
posted 04 July 2009 07:16 EDT (US)     4 / 16  
If you have TATW v 1.1 then you could join our hotseat game. Were not all auto resolving.

I will fight for Total War Heaven.

Will You?
posted 04 July 2009 12:12 EDT (US)     5 / 16  
If you've modded your game, you have 'patched' it or have made a mod. It is either completely a version (Example, TATW 1.1, not TATW 1.1, BUT, you modded the amount of money Mordor gets at the start)

I guess you could be a sub for Crat, who is in a few hotseats.

Think you're a hotshot against the Mongols? Go to the Mongolphobia mod discussions and download the mod, then, you will surely tremble with fear in the face of the Mongols. If you have suggestions/questions, feel free to make a thread. You can download Mongolphobia here. Good luck.

“Life lives, life dies. Life laughs, life cries. Life gives up and life tries. But life looks different through everyone's eyes.” -Unknown

Read my AAR/Story "The Battle of the Bridge" here!
posted 04 July 2009 15:55 EDT (US)     6 / 16  
The problem with not autoresolving battles is that a player with a small army and good battlefield ability can slaughter a much better army led by the ai. That's sort of fine when you're against an ai led army from an ai faction, but if you allow it when players fight each other then it makes it more 'who can get to be the attacker in the battle'.

So yes, it is less fun in a way to auto resolve battles, but easier to make sure the games focus on diplomacy and less prone to weird results dependant on who gets to lead the attack.
posted 04 July 2009 17:45 EDT (US)     7 / 16  
Why can't people just use auto resolve on human players, i meen it would be based on trust but still.

I will fight for Total War Heaven.

Will You?
posted 05 July 2009 05:20 EDT (US)     8 / 16  
That's a fair point. I'll be interested to see how the TATW hotseat goes. Other than not trusting people (err, well, I trust people mostly I suppose) I went with autoresolve on the hotseat I started to keep the time spent on turns down. If you spend time on sending messages as well as moving units etc, there's still a fair amount to do each turn before you get on to fighting battles - but if it works without causing the save to take over a week to get around the group then maybe 'autoresolve against other players' will be the new standard.
posted 05 July 2009 08:20 EDT (US)     9 / 16  
Oh, I was unaware it worked like that. I thought turning autoresolve off meant you could only fight manually against the AI anyway, not other players. If, indeed, turning autoresolve off means that other players' armies will be controlled by the AI in defenses, that does make it cheeky.

However, as said, with the right amount of trust it could still work.

Glacier: if and when such a sub is needed; I'll be right here.
posted 01 September 2009 21:10 EDT (US)     10 / 16  
well why dont we start a hotseat then? but i'd like to request it to be Retrofit M2TW since i prefer the original map over everything. should we start signing people up or something? maybe some rules?(i'd also like to request a rule that you cannot choose scotland if someone is england or vice-versa,if someone ends up as scotland and someone else is england, the poor scots will get destroyed =( . thank you)

if we are planning on starting this heres the info for me:

Faction:England
Email:sudsdhanoa8@hotmail.com
not sure if anything more is neccesary so there you go. reply if your willing to start it.

Papal Watch AAR Where I sit back and let the computers entertain you!

[This message has been sacked by Mongols (sacked 04-02-1258 AD).]
posted 01 September 2009 22:18 EDT (US)     11 / 16  
This is ridiculous. How do we keep up with all these hotseats? Most of them aren't working anymore.

Hotseat A
Hotseat B
Hotseat C (Brittania died, so Hotseat F will be C)
Hotsead D (Will be the newest hotseat we started a few days ago)
Hotseat E (This new one that Demigodseer wants)

I think a maximum of 5 hotseats at a time would be appropriate. Having 14 hotseats is just...meh.

Think you're a hotshot against the Mongols? Go to the Mongolphobia mod discussions and download the mod, then, you will surely tremble with fear in the face of the Mongols. If you have suggestions/questions, feel free to make a thread. You can download Mongolphobia here. Good luck.

“Life lives, life dies. Life laughs, life cries. Life gives up and life tries. But life looks different through everyone's eyes.” -Unknown

Read my AAR/Story "The Battle of the Bridge" here!

[This message has been edited by Glacier_Girl (edited 09-01-2009 @ 10:24 PM).]

posted 01 September 2009 23:14 EDT (US)     12 / 16  
Well considering how slow hotseats are I could probably be comfortably involved with 10 at a time so I see no problem with having many as long as they dont involve the exact same people.
posted 02 September 2009 05:17 EDT (US)     13 / 16  
I'm thinking Vanilla but Stainless Steel 6.1 could be cool.
Heh, good luck with that. It's a mod well known for being customised to the user's tastes

Speaking of dead hotseats, we'll need to have a look at them to see which ones are dead, which ones are merely on hiatus, and those that are still alive. A tracker of them may well be needed.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 02 September 2009 09:53 EDT (US)     14 / 16  
and while we find someone willing to take the time, should we sign people up right here? or should we make the new topic first?(btw i also hope to make it VH/M so even the computers can defend themselves, autoresolve(obviously) and all the other simple rules we already know) and we shouldnt go more than 6 humans.reply with your thoughts and opinions

posted 02 September 2009 12:37 EDT (US)     15 / 16  
I would probably make a new topic.
posted 02 September 2009 21:59 EDT (US)     16 / 16  
ok the new topic is made "Hotseat E (Retrofit)" join it when your ready.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum » Any games available to join? + questions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames