You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Error messages in multiplayer
posted 19 November 2007 12:43 EDT (US)   
I copied this list from the Total War forums and it's a very useful resource for troubleshooting MP problems. Credit goes to Go Eazy.
Here is a list of game fixes you can try if you are unable to connect, at the bottom is a list of ports that should be open. I got this list from Stig and others who have tried to help others connect to the MP lobby.

"Failed to Login"

This means that your computer simply can't connect to the GS lobby. It can have more then one reason, but most of the time it has something to do with your firewall.
To solve it check this:
-Do you have a fast connection? Broadband (DSL or Cable) and over 128 kb/sec. It's recommended to have this connection or better, since slower connections slow down the game, not just for you, but also for the other players. If you still have Dail-Up it's not recommended to play MP at all, since you will terribly lag. 1v1 battles with smallest unit sizes might still work tho, but it's better to avoid it.
-Do you still have the firewall one?
-Do you still have background programs running?
-----------

"Can't connect to host" (or similar)

This used to happen often in RTW and I've had it once in MTW2 so far. It has to do with the host having a bad connection. He can have Alt-tabbed out of the game, he can have background programs running or simply have spyware running. This means you can't join the game. If that really is the game you want to be joining, try again sometime later. Maybe he's back in game, or has simply clicked on the screen, which will bring him back into the game instead of the background program (msn, whatever).
If people tell you this often happens when they want to join you, but you don't Alt-tab out, do this:
-Don't leave MSN (or similar) on when going in game. It causes problems. When someone starts talking to you you get a small pop-up in the lower right corner, this alone is enough to disturb the game. Also close any other background program. I myself always have Startmonitor running, but this too can cause problems, if a new background program wants to start running. Most of the times you then will have a high change of being infected by Spyware, this can be normal and doesn't always have to do with pr0nsites or similar. If you want any advice on good anti-spyware programs, download Hijackthis.
-----------

"Failed to join game" (or similar)

This is also a quite common problem. It has to do with having a bad connection at some points. With wireless DSL you don't always have the same good connection, so sometimes you might have problems joining up.
Best thing to do is, log out and log in again, most of the times it works. If you then can't log in again, you know it's a connection problem, simply close the game, start up internet, make connection and start the game again.
Personally I have had these problems only after I Alt-tabbed out. And that isn't recommended to do.
-----------

"Game stalled, network problems for player ..." (or similar)

This means someone has network problems (obviously). This can be caused by having background programs running, having a bad connection or Alt-tabbing out of the game (yeah some do that in battle). Just wait a while till he gets back and the game will be resumed. Sometimes it's only caused by MSN in which case one click in screen is enough to get back into the game (so if the player with a problem wants to send a command), sometimes he's taken to desktop in which case it will take some more time.
It can also simply be so that his connection failed. In which case wait 30 secs to 1 minute. If he isn't back by then hope the host kicks him, if the host doesn't do that, I personally leave the game. If you however are willing to wait longer, no-one is stopping you.
-----------

"NAT communication error" (or similar)

This will most likely only happen if you're connected to a network of computer and share the internet with them (as afaik NAT has to do with that). One of those persons is me, and therefore I'm getting this error from time to time. I share the same internet with loads of people, but we all have different IP addresses, and that's what's causing it afaik. For me to easy problem to solve it is logging out and logging in again. I've had this problem trice now, and all the times that worked.
At the moment I don't know what's causing it (apart from having a network inside a network, or something like that), but I do have the easy fix already.

From Sega:

Due to some compatibility issues with different versions of the game, some users may experience difficulties playing multiplayer games. Specifically, users with download versions of the game will temporarily not be able to play against users with DVD versions (and vice versa). Users with different language versions may also experience trouble.

SEGA and The Creative Assembly are working on this issue and will post an update as soon as it has been resolved. Until then, please know you should have no problems playing the single player campaign
-----------

"Can't see games in the lobby"

Right you are having this problem. Till know I heard of 2 versions of the story

1. You bought the game at direct2drive.com or Steam or similar and downloaded from there.
2. Your DVD isn't working so you decided to get a tool so you can play without the DVD, but still installing it in a legal fashion.

For 1:
Best now still is to contact direct2drive and see what they can do. I don't know how it works, downloading, installing playing without DVD, but my guess is that it's linked to #2. Therefore your problem might be solved with the same fix for #2. However there is a difference between the problems, so it's best to ask the direct2drive or Steam if they already know the fix, they might have had it with other games too. Since the problem has something to do with the GS lobby.

For2:
Well you can play the game now, but MP is out of order. You can simply buy a new DVD-rom drive or wait till one of the Tech Mods comes with a fix. Best now is to wait. Maybe the next patch might miracly solve this, but personally I doubt that, wait till there is a solution, till then try finishing the Campaign.
It might have to do with your type of drive, as someone on TWcenter simply bought a new drive and now all seems to work for him.

----------

"Failed to login - Invalid Player Profile"

Remember that you need to enter the following:
your account name, the corresponding emailaddres, the corresponding password.
First check if you all did this correctly (some people also typed the cd-key in the Password line). Make sure you didn't make typing errors, as they can make sure it isn't working.
If it still doesn't work, try this:
-go to www.gamespyid.com
-login using your email and password
-click the username
-if you haven't verified your account do so
Now try logging into the lobby again.

Ports

List of ports that should be open :

* 27750 (Medieval II - Total War)
* 6667 (IRC)
* 3783 (Voice Chat Port)
* 27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
* 28900 (Master Server List Request)
* 29900 (GP Connection Manager)
* 29901 (GP Search Manager)
* 13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
* 6515 (Dplay UDP)
* 6500 (Query Port)

More information : www.gamespyarcade.com/sup...alls.shtml

CD Keys:

"LOGIN FAILED - INVALID CD_KEY"

Several reasons why you may get this:

1) You entered the CD key incorrectly
- if so follow this path to re-enter you CD key:
Open Start
Click Run
Type: regedit
Now go to this: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/SEGA/Medieval II Total War

2) You did not enter your CD key in ALL CAPS

3) You have to use 0 (zero) not o or O

If you have Vista (compliments of Lyphe):

Ok, the fix is essentially the same as has been described here already, but I'll expand on it so that you don't miss anything small and easy. I just fixed mine and it now works aok. Here is what to do:

- click on the windows start bubble bottom left
- type 'regedit' in the search bar
- you will now see an icon/link that you can click on above that says 'regedit' - click on this
- you are now inside regedit ... double-click the following:
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
* SOFTWARE
* Sega
* Medieval II Total War
* Double click and edit the "CDKey" entry (located on the right side pane)
* Update your CD key and you are done.

Make sure when you update your CD key that all your letters are CAPITALIZED. That was the only problem with mine. My CD key was correct, but my letters were small case. I changed that and I was able to log-on no problem after that. Also make sure you use the "shift" key and dont' use your capslock ( per the previous post in here ).

Cheers and hope this helps any Vista people!
Replies:
posted 28 November 2007 10:37 EDT (US)     1 / 18  
That's awesome stuff I'll link it from my guide to getting to play on multi.

Stickied too- Cheers!

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 11-28-2007 @ 11:29 AM).]

posted 22 May 2008 15:23 EDT (US)     2 / 18  
Mine says Connection lost when I try to logon. I don't have any programs running.

Vini, Vidi, Vici-Julias Caesar

Slavery is Freedom
War is Peace
Ignorance is Strength
Quantity and Quality are the same.
posted 22 May 2008 17:28 EDT (US)     3 / 18  
Question:
Me and a friend both purchased RTW from steam so we could play battles online, we now hoever get a message saying "Failed to join game (gs)" and we both get this regardless of who hosts the game. Do we need to contact steam or is this something that can be sorted through firewalls or anything of the sort?
Thanks in advance!
posted 22 May 2008 18:38 EDT (US)     4 / 18  
Mine says Connection lost when I try to logon. I don't have any programs running.
Firewall? Router? Gaming requires an interactive connection, and your router and firewall must be properly configured to make that work!

From the listing above:

"Failed to join game" (or similar)

This is also a quite common problem. It has to do with having a bad connection at some points. With wireless DSL you don't always have the same good connection, so sometimes you might have problems joining up.
Best thing to do is, log out and log in again, most of the times it works. If you then can't log in again, you know it's a connection problem, simply close the game, start up internet, make connection and start the game again.
Personally I have had these problems only after I Alt-tabbed out. And that isn't recommended to do.

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor

[This message has been edited by Chonaman (edited 05-22-2008 @ 06:41 PM).]

posted 22 May 2008 21:04 EDT (US)     5 / 18  
What do you mean properly configured? Retrofit mod and kingdoms work online.

Slavery is Freedom
War is Peace
Ignorance is Strength
posted 23 May 2008 06:49 EDT (US)     6 / 18  
But that doesn't work for me lol...Don't just quote from the original post, i obviously read that!
>.<
posted 24 May 2008 12:30 EDT (US)     7 / 18  
If you are using a router, have you setup port forwarding? If not, you cannot play TW games online. The ports that must be forwarded are listed in the original post.

If you have a software firewall (Zone Alarm, McAfee, etc.) you will have to configure it to allow the game exe to act as a server - in other words to allow incoming traffic to the game application. Alternatively, you can disable the firewall when gaming, a less desirable option, but simple.

If your router and firewall are both properly configured, you will have to do some network troubleshooting. It isn't likely that the game is causing this by itself unless the product has been corrupted or unintentionally altered since installation. On the other hand, GS is sometimes a problem in itself, but that is beyond the scope of this response.

posted 27 May 2008 19:59 EDT (US)     8 / 18  
How do I set up port forwarding. The link does not work.

Slavery is Freedom
War is Peace
Ignorance is Strength
posted 27 May 2008 20:33 EDT (US)     9 / 18  
Port Forward.com is the best place to learn.

I was never able to connect online with M2TW, until I forwarded all the ports listed in the first post above.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 05-27-2008 @ 08:52 PM).]

posted 29 May 2008 18:32 EDT (US)     10 / 18  
Unfortunately, nothing is as simple as it seems, especially if you ask the people who are selling something to you. They want you to think that everything is seamless, ultra-fast and inexpensive. Guess what, buyer beware.

The majority of broadband users in the U.S. and most densely populated Western countries today use cable internet connectivity. Connecting to the internet requires a number of hardware interfaces, and a number of software interfaces, particularly if you want to have your internet connection do something other than respond to requests from your email application and your web browser. The good thing about this is that this makes it easy to prevent security problems on your systems; the bad thing is that you may find it challenging to connect to resources that are harmless, and would be fun and useful to interact with, such as multi player gaming applications.

Routers are a very basic piece of hardware. They are ubiquitous in the networking world, whether internet, extranet or intranet. The way they work it simple: they block every bit/bite/morsel of non-udp IP traffic to your computer unless it has a corresponding outbound request for that information. UDP traffic has an entirely different operational protocol, and I am not going to address that because it is not relevant to this discussion.

Routers are commonly mistaken as equivalent to a firewall, which is unforunte. I have actually known network engineers who thought a router was equivalent to a corporate-grade firewall. Frankly, a router is an excellent security device for a home user. The problem is, it is so good that it requires the user to configure it in order to play games online, or to do anything that is a bit more interactive than just sending and receiving email or using the web.

It is a double-edged sword, no matter how you connect to the internet. So, for every online game you play, you may have to change the configuration of your router/'firewall'. And if you have a software 'firewall' you may have to make additional changes. I don't find this difficult because I worked in IT/Network security/LAN/INTRANET/INTERNET operations, but I can certainly understand how it would be confusing and non-intuitive to most average users. :-(

posted 18 June 2008 13:37 EDT (US)     11 / 18  
I can't reach the lobby if I use M2TW vanilla but if I use the Kingdoms expansion or the retrofit mod, it works fine.

Is there something wrong with M2TW vanilla that's different to the other two?
posted 21 June 2008 13:27 EDT (US)     12 / 18  
Is there something wrong with M2TW vanilla that's different to the other two?
Clearly, something is different, or something is wrong with Vanilla. It would be pure speculation to guess what since we can't see your system.

To troubleshoot the problem, I would do the following:

-Have you followed the documentation for configuring Vanilla online? Check it step-by-step and verify, if you haven't already done so.
-Are you port forwarding for Vanilla specifically? Some routers require you to name the specific .exe, and it's possible you are using different .exe versions/locations to run these different versions of the game. I would very carefully check your port forwarding configuration.
-If you've verified that the configuration is right and you still can't play online, you may need to do a clean uninstall & reinstall the game because you may have a bad/missing/corrupt game file.

This is the best advice I can think of for your situation. 99% of the time online gaming issues like yours are configuration issues. If you aren't technically inclined, enlist someone to help you who is.

posted 22 June 2008 17:15 EDT (US)     13 / 18  
theboyne
This is a problem that has been affecting everyone so it's not just you and it is one of the reasons we are allowing Kingdoms games to count on the M2TW ladder.
My advice is to keep trying and you eventually get in. Well it works for me anyway.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 08 October 2008 00:07 EDT (US)     14 / 18  
Wow this is really frustrating. My gamespy account is working, my connection is good, I set my firewall to allow it, and I opened all the recommended ports and still nothing. I'm stuck on the login screen with the hourglass spinning forever
posted 10 October 2008 17:39 EDT (US)     15 / 18  
Did you try connecting via Kingdoms? That seems to work better.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 04 January 2009 19:31 EDT (US)     16 / 18  
Hi,
I have the problem where I can log in, but can not see any games online. I bought the CD and loaded it like normal. I did not buy the game online and I did not get anything to play without the DVD.

"Can't see games in the lobby"

Right you are having this problem. Till know I heard of 2 versions of the story

1. You bought the game at direct2drive.com or Steam or similar and downloaded from there.
2. Your DVD isn't working so you decided to get a tool so you can play without the DVD, but still installing it in a legal fashion.

For 1:
Best now still is to contact direct2drive and see what they can do. I don't know how it works, downloading, installing playing without DVD, but my guess is that it's linked to #2. Therefore your problem might be solved with the same fix for #2. However there is a difference between the problems, so it's best to ask the direct2drive or Steam if they already know the fix, they might have had it with other games too. Since the problem has something to do with the GS lobby.

For2:
Well you can play the game now, but MP is out of order. You can simply buy a new DVD-rom drive or wait till one of the Tech Mods comes with a fix. Best now is to wait. Maybe the next patch might miracly solve this, but personally I doubt that, wait till there is a solution, till then try finishing the Campaign.
It might have to do with your type of drive, as someone on TWcenter simply bought a new drive and now all seems to work for him.
posted 27 January 2009 23:36 EDT (US)     17 / 18  
Hi, I'm having problems with the Failed to Logon part only I can't see where my problem is coming from. I have a fast connection, I've tried running RTW with no programs in the background and as far as I can tell my firewall is letting RTW and Gamespy Arcade through. Anything else that could be an issue that explains my problem?
posted 08 February 2009 11:40 EDT (US)     18 / 18  
Just keep trying, somtimes its a hit or miss process....
Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Error messages in multiplayer
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames